TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Still Subjective
    Now watching Origin on YouTube.

It's not bad.

The script could do with some work and there are some illogical things going on (that may turn out to make sense I'm told), but I'm quite liking it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvdqx-qko2w
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VBMxqjvGpI

One of the funniest and cultivated man living very close to where I live here in northwestern Spain.

Still Subjective
    What's funny about it?

Re: Origin.

The script gets worse. I'm sure it's been dumbed down on purpose as there are so many "It couldn't see me" bits it can't be by accident.

It's a shame because it's a nice idea.

Just watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Totally recommend it, especially if you like old west type shows and the Coen brothers.

I watched Willow for the first time a couple days ago. It was the Director's Cut. The next night I watched it with Warrick Davis' commentary on. At the the end during the credits he starts talking about how there's not too many movies with 'short actors' in lead roles and how there's three books in the Willow series and he's looking forward to doing a sequel. I felt bad for him.

Well he not too long after that went onto star in the "Leprechaun" series of movies. So he's done alright for himself. I remember really loving the movie Willow as a kid.

Have to watch one of those at some point. Apparently their the "so bad their good" kind. I don't mind those so must give one a watch.

My daughter and grand daughter were all hyped up for me to watch "Annihilation" which they had seen recently. It came out a couple of years back starring Natalie Portman. So I checked it out on the net and I'll be damned. Scenes were shot at Upper Heyford RAF USAF base. Octopussy, World War Z, Children of Men, Wonder Woman, and now Annihilation at my old base. The old girl is doing pretty good for herself. I also found out George Carlin was in the Air Force there. Pretty cool. Hmmmm I wonder if my old dorm was one used in Children of Men. I'll have to watch that one again with that in mind. That long scene going down the hall under fire... was it my dorm? Was it the girls dorm and that the hallway I ran down to sneak out in the mornings? Wish I had Children of Men in my collection so I could watch it now and compare to my memory. I totally missed it the first time I saw it. Wouldn't that be a hoot though?

Okay. Watched that scene a few times now and no. I don't think so. The building is similar but I think maybe closer to the officers barracks. Hard to tell but the building across had a balcony and officers is the only dorm I can think of with one (no I didn't have to sneak out of that one, just went to a party there). Also there was a central stairway like that one but it did not face the officers dorm. Mine had a stairway on each end as well. Shit I wish I had taken more pictures.

This is my dorm (I think). Not the same as the movie dammit... but they did say they put an entrance on the other side for the movie... eh wishful thinking. My room was the top left end. Great view of sheep.
    Last edited by Tocky; 28th Nov 2018 at 22:17. Reason: shit

Level 10,000 achieved
    Heh, that's cool, Tocky. What did you think of Annihilation tho? It actually came out early this year and it's one of my faves of the year.

This actually reminds me of a list I've been meaning to make...

Best Netflix Original Movies of 2018

1. Annihilation
    This one got a theatrical release in the US, but apparently didn't do very well and so Netflix scooped up the European distribution rights for a pretty penny. It's one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in a long time.

2. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
    It's a series of short stories. It starts off good, and then you think "ok, they start off with the good stuff, right?" NOPE, coz then it gets BETTER. The Tom Waits and Zoe Kazan segments were my favourite, tho "Meal Ticket" is I think the one that will stick with me for the longest.

3. Us And Them
    A sad and beautiful tale of a young Chinese couple who meet, become friends, fall in love, fall out of love, and meet again 10 years later.

(and that's it as far as "great movies" go. The rest of these I would merely classify as "good" or "highly watchable garbage".)

4. A Stupid and Futile Gesture
    National Lampoon biopic with some great performances.

5. Apostle
    It's like the Wicker Man but even crazier. Also since it's directed by The Raid's Gareth Evans it has some nice fisticuffs.

6. Ibiza
    Comedy about some friends who go to Ibiza to paaaaaartyyyyyyyyyy. I came for the Gillian Jacobs, I stayed for the Vanessa Bayer. Seriously, she steals the show.

7. Manhunt
    John Woo's latest! Yeah, the guy's output has been in steady decline since the early 90's, but this still provides some thrills. The farmhouse shootout in the middle is great, almost up there with his most classic actionscenes from Hardboiled and The Killer.

8. The Cloverfield Paradox
    Hey I liked it OKAY??? Yeah it was a bunch of bollocks, but it was very entertaining while it was happening.

9. Roxanne Roxanne
    Biopic about 80's rapper Roxanne Shante with some very good performances.

10. The Ritual
    A movie about a bunch of Britts who get lost in Norwegian woods and then Satanic shit starts happening. It was pretty creepy!

Honorable mentions:
    Like Father, The Outlaw King, Illang: The Wolf Brigade, Errementari, Hold The Dark, The Polka King, The Night Comes For Us

Of course 2018 isn't over yet, and "Roma" might end up on the list as well before the year is over.

I found Buster Scruggs... confusing, I guess I'd say. I found the first and second episode quite meanspirited (though I did like the joke at the end of the James Franco story) and the Tom Waits one didn't do much for me. It's during "Meal Ticket" that my impression changed - it's still quite the nasty story, but the tone and especially the attitude towards the characters didn't strike me as mean. (Also, I'm still fascinated by the fact that the actor who played the young performer is the guy who played Dudley Dursley in the Harry Potter films.) I then genuinely liked the last two episodes, and they also reconciled me to the beginning - but I'm still not quite sure what the overall film was trying to do. I think there's something going on there thematically, but I'm finding it difficult to pinpoint exactly what that is, other than the very general "well, it's about death, innit?"

Chakat sex pillow
    I found myself wondering what the tonal weirdness was about beyond a Wes Anderson-inflected version of 'the west was rough, tough, and shite'. It probably was, at that. Meal Ticket's probably the first to drive that home in a way that feels real, so in truth it's actually the meanest of the lot - in effect, pretty consummate storytelling. It also drops a few hints that give it some silent depth (the various stare-offs, 'he ever had any?' 'once.') that I wish there was more of in the rest. It's still done with the meticulous craft that the Coens are known for, so it's never not an interesting watch. The anthology nature of the presentation means that it goes about its targets by unloading birdshot instead of slugs, but... you know. It's entertaining watching something get perforated either way.

Level 10,000 achieved
    "It's about death, innit?" is deeper meaning than I'd managed, or tried, to find in the whole thing. I'm the kinda feller who just takes stories at face value, without looking for subtext, and I thought Buster Scruggs was simply six pretty good stories!

Tho I do enjoy hearing people dig into the deeper meanings, like you do on your podcast, Thirith.
    Last edited by henke; 29th Nov 2018 at 04:15.

Good points, Sulphur. For me the difference between, say, the first episode and "Meal Ticket" was that while the latter was a mean story, it didn't feel meanspirited in the telling. There was sadness and poignancy and the silent depth you mention. "Buster Scruggs", by comparison, felt entirely like we were invited to laugh at everyone. I don't mind black humour, but I mind black humour that's entirely devoid of any sympathy, and as a result I found "Buster Scruggs" and, to a lesser extent", "Near Algodones", glib and snide (though I did very much laugh at "Near Algodone"'s punchline).

I also liked "Meal Ticket" best in formal/structural terms: it works masterfully with repetition and variation, showing us pretty much the same scene again and again, always a bit more clipped, more tense and more desperate. It's also supremely economic in its last few scenes.

Was I the only one who expected everyone that had died to turn up at the very end of "The Mortal Remains", hanging around in the lobby of that hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    "It's about death, innit?" is deeper meaning than I'd managed, or tried, to find in the whole thing. I'm the kinda feller who just takes stories at face value, without looking for subtext, and I thought Buster Scruggs was simply six pretty good stories!
    I don't always look for subtext, but when I do...

Nah, seriously: especially with episodic movies, I tend to find them less than the sum of their parts unless there's some sort of unifying element, whether that's theme, tone or some kind of story arc. If that isn't there, the scattershot thing Sulphur mentions quickly bothers me a bit.

Tho I do enjoy hearing people dig into the deeper meanings, like you do on your podcast, Thirith.
    Aww, shucks!
    Last edited by Thirith; 29th Nov 2018 at 04:34.

Walking Dead's been quite interesting this season. Especially towards the end after the 6 year time jump.

Minor spoilers ahead:

Seeing humanity starting to branch out further into large guarded communities with farming, blacksmithing, production etc going on. Quite good to see. The end of the season though is a mixed bag. On one hand, seeing the walkers get a bit more intelligent (thanks to some walker cultists hidden among them). That was cool, though why would walkers pay any attention to speech in where to go. If anything you'd think they'd clue into that being a living person and attack them. That already happened a season or so ago, when Rick and the others had zombie goo on them, but due to one of them talking too much, the Walkers attacked them regardless. So why would they do any different with the cultists?

The final bit in the cemetery was sooooooo cliche zombie movie stuff, with all the mist etc. All that was missing there was the "Thriller" music.

For me as a watcher of the show as a whole, for the first few seasons I was always hoping that humanity would get some semblance of civilization going on again. So for that, what you see in the show now is great. But then the walker cult is a bit stupid (or from what is shown of them so far). They'd have zero chance against any of the 3 established settlements, or even an organized force put up to clear them out. One thing I've never understood in both The Walking Dead and zombie movies in general which are set with some sort of established community/village/city setup, is why they don't do regular zombie clearing/thinning out.

If you look at season 3 for example with them having the community setup in the prison complex, they had a regular daily task for people to line the fences and kill x amount of zombies to help lower the overall zombie count. So in current day Walking Dead, they have QUITE a few people. So having some assigned to regular zombie hunting to lower the overall zombie count in the area = greater safety for everyone I'd have thought. But they never do it in these things. Makes zero sense to me. Now you may say that that has too many risks involved, but The Walking Dead has the regular Romero style slow moving zombies (not counting cultists). So with a well trained group the risk factor would be quite low I'd have thought. Considering how well the trained guys in the show always go vs walkers, if you sent out say 20 trained guys, even 100 zombies would be no problem. Even in 100% melee only combat. Then you'd have far fewer zombies in the area, which over time would lower bit by bit to a point where there'd be next to none left after a while.

Also if they built some some sort of protective wall over an extended area, that would bring far greater benefits. Though with Rick gone, it looks like their efforts toward engineering style stuff has lowered quite a bit. A shame. If I was in a zombie apocalypse in that sort of setting, I'd be building a big friggin wall (great wall of China style) to provide protection for the encompassing communities. Risk whilst building it sure, but it's not like the Walkers could knock it down, and there's practically zero raiders left at this point in the show (for now) so win win.

Heh, that's cool, Tocky. What did you think of Annihilation tho? It actually came out early this year and it's one of my faves of the year.
    Trippy and metaphor ridden. Who are we when we are changed on a fundamental level? It had the DNA alteration thing as change but also the incidents between husband and wife. It dealt with self destruction literally and mentally as well. I particularly liked the ending. Who are you?

And icemann, I think a lot of this season was setup to what happens when it picks back up again. Not that I disagree with anything you said. I hope they use next part of season nine to build characters for something other than just getting us to care about them so they can have us sad when they die. They have done enough of that already. Looking forward to Judith becoming little ass kicker as promised.
    Last edited by Tocky; 30th Nov 2018 at 21:21. Reason: TWD

You know, I used to be a big walking dead fan. But I actually lost interest after season... I honestly don't remember. The season AFTER Carl died, I watched the first three episodes then that was it. I think I was burning out for a long time. I hate all this community building stuff. I think the smaller the cast, the better the show is. And it's not even cast size really, just smaller world = better TV because they never did some of the things you mentioned iceman. And whenever they introduce a new group the same little micro storylines keep poping up. Girl meets Guy or Guy meets girl or This guy used to be evil and now he's good, get over it! or 'We'll keep Grandma in the barn, she'll get better!' or I didn't tell you This because of That now I done went and started some crap thats gonna take 3 episodes of filler to resolve.

My favorite season was back when they where on the farm. All the stuff with the governor and Woodbury was awesome though. Negan was a joke though. I'll never forget watching the season opener(I think?!) after Glenn is killed where Rick is laying on top of the RV and Negan tells him to 'Bring me my Axe!'. When my buddy and I watched that part we busted out laughing and couldn't stop. We where still laughing when the show came back from commercial. I have no idea why. But we where high so that probably explains it. After that, I laughed every time Negan was on screen and couldn't take his character seriously.

Also, I wish they would've stayed on the boat in Fear TWD. I thought that was such a kool idea. Even my brother - who hates TWD - watched every episode of Fear that season. And then they stepped off the boat and I changed the channel.

If it had stayed small scale the show would have died far sooner, as there's only so much you can do without eventually recycling things.

Funny you say that though as several of the characters have said numerous times (in the show) that they preferred it when it was just them going about as a small tribe.

Just got back from watching "Creed 2" at the cinema. Excellent movie, even if its a bit predictable. It gives a nice sense of closure to both the Creed and Rocky films. I'd recommend they end it here. A lot of heart to the film and it gives some good time for both Drago characters, so in that the film succeeds in giving some sympathy to them. Considering what Drago did to Adonis's dad in Rocky 4, I still just wanted to see Drago's son get his ass kicked.

9/10 - Predictable but still excellent. Man Bridgette Nielson looks terrible.

So Nicholas Winding Refn has set up his own movie streaming service. It's free.

https://www.bynwr.com/about

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    The old girl is doing pretty good for herself.
    Parts of it are a Scheduled Monument so it should still be doing ok for a long time to come.

Level 10,000 achieved
    David Ehrlich is back with one of his videocountdowns to remind us of all the great movies we didn't see this year.

I've only seen 4 of these. Still intend to see Mandy(the Bluray just arrived in my mail) and Roma(on Netflix 14th Dec) before compiling my own end-of-year list.

I love Ehrlich's end-of-year videos. He is so good at editing. The 2018 is good, but I think I'll never grow tired of watching the 2017 one.

but anyway "THE BALLAD OF BUSTER SCRUGGS" IS OUT! New Coen Brothers movie, an anthology of 6 short stories, on Netflix. It started off good, and I figured "ok, they're starting off with the good stuff, right?" but no, IT ONLY GETS BETTER! The Zoe Kazan and Tom Waits segments were my faves.
    Yes, that was favourite one as well. The story about the quadriplegic storyteller came a close second. I didn't like the final one that much though. I held on for a twist that never came.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinatedzombeh View Post
    Parts of it are a Scheduled Monument so it should still be doing ok for a long time to come.
    That passed? I thought it failed. Hell they already took the water tower down and that was the most iconic part to me. I bet they just designate the flight line. Everybody loves those hardened quonset hangers. They love to speculate whether they had F111's loaded with nukes in them. I know. The answer is... not always.

I could recreate my dorm room and put a naked male and female mannequin as a monument to the day I got caught by the wing commander. I still have pictures I could go by.

Man, just taking inventory of everything there brings back memories. I even know whose picture that was on the Gray's Anatomy.

Quote Originally Posted by curseofnight View Post
    You know, I used to be a big walking dead fan.
    You lasted longer than I did. I made it 4-5 episodes into the season that starts with Glenn getting bashed, so didn't even make it to Carl's death. And I lasted a bit longer with Fear TWD, up until the lead guy's kid died and maybe a bit further, I think when they were just up to the Mexican border ready to cross back

Among other things, the issue with the show is it's not even imaginable now where things could be going except in endless circles of complications, survival, death, new recruits, wash and repeat.

Now I think about it like other great shows that fell apart at some point, like X-Files... You still have those early seasons that can stand on their own as a great show. I'd say TWD was great still into the suburb season (Alexandria?), and it started to fall apart from there. The big raid on Alexandria is kind of the end for my motivation, although it was still good & I stuck with it a bit longer. Glenn's death was evidently the jump the shark moment, so that could stand as the best point of no return too. But anyway, I did a rewatch of X-files not long ago and a lot of it still holds up, right up to the place where Mulder goes missing and that's a wrap. And I imagine at some point I can do that with TWD for those early seasons too, and call Glenn's death a wrap.
    Last edited by demagogue; 6th Dec 2018 at 00:06.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    You lasted longer than I did. I made it 4-5 episodes into the season that starts with Glenn getting bashed, so didn't even make it to Carl's death. And I lasted a bit longer with Fear TWD, up until the lead guy's kid died and maybe a bit further, I think when they were just up to the Mexican border ready to cross back

Among other things, the issue with the show is it's not even imaginable now where things could be going except in endless circles of complications, survival, death, new recruits, wash and repeat.

Now I think about it like other great shows that fell apart at some point, like X-Files... You still have those early seasons that can stand on their own as a great show. I'd say TWD was great still into the suburb season (Alexandria?), and it started to fall apart from there. The big raid on Alexandria is kind of the end for my motivation, although it was still good & I stuck with it a bit longer. Glenn's death was evidently the jump the shark moment, so that could stand as the best point of no return too. But anyway, I did a rewatch of X-files not long ago and a lot of it still holds up, right up to the place where Mulder goes missing and that's a wrap. And I imagine at some point I can do that with TWD for those early seasons too, and call Glenn's death a wrap.
    I agree re: X-Files. When you consider each season consists of around 25 episodes (as series tended towards back then) it's amazing how long it managed to hold up. When it did eventually fall apart, though, it fell apart spectacularly.

Agreed on X-Files. Around the time Mulder left, it all went to shit. The new series is alright, though it varies greatly from episode to episode.

For me I still like TWD since it's covering an area not done in zombie apocalypse's before (besides the movie "Land of the Dead") which is of humanity getting some level of civilization back again. That stuff I find quite interesting.

Page 177 of 188 FirstFirst ... 77127132137142147152157162167172173174175176177178179180181182187 ... LastLast