TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Still Subjective
    Just watched all of Cobra Kai.

What a great idea for a series, and it's executed really well.

El Shagmeister
    I watch all of you sleep.

<3

Same. Most of you are ~50% or worse on RT.

I don't think most critics realize how hard it is to sleep in an interesting and informative manner.

Drooling and snoring immediately gives you an extra 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Just watched all of Cobra Kai.

What a great idea for a series, and it's executed really well.
    I thought it was excellent stuff. A breath of fresh air. Can't wait for the second season.

Saw Captain Marvel earlier today.

It's a solid MCU movie that both utilizes the existing MCU lore and builds upon it in a way that makes sense for a prequel set in the 90's.

Also, Goose is best kitty.

Another one that's getting mixed reviews. Apparently Lawson is quite blah throughout much of the movie, not showing much emotion, and that it comes across like a TV movie or an episode of Star Trek at times.

Chakat sex pillow
    Lawson? Brie's got a nice enough surname, please don't Jane Doe her. As far as critical opinions go, I don't know about mixed, it's got an 82% rating on RT and it's doing fairly well at the box office. The consensus is that it follows the now-tired Marvel formula, but does just enough to make it work, so there's that.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 8th Mar 2019 at 03:00.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I like Brie Larson (and the rest of the cast), but the Captain Marvel trailers have totally failed to grab me, I think I'll give it a miss. In the theatre at least, I'll totally watch it when it's on Netflix.

Oh wait is this the thread for what I have watched? Uhhhh... Seinfeld season 5. Again. What we do in the shadows, again. Mad Max 2 and 3, again. I feel like I've just re-watched a bunch of stuff lately.

As for recently watched:

Up to episode 7 of season 2 of Star Trek Discovery. Very mixed season compared to the 1st. Some are good episodes, and others feel like filler and are quite boring and pointless.

And up to episode 12 for season 9 of The Walking Dead. It's kinda feeling more fantasy-ish leaning lately, than reality based. I still find it enjoyable to watch, but the show is certainly different in feel to first half of the season + the season before, which was all out war. Now it's all about settlements surviving. Interesting in it's own right (would be better as a video game imo), but I dunno, it's less compelling now.

I have real trouble taking "the whisperer's" cult seriously as a threat even remotely. All it would take is 10 of those from any of the 3 current settlements, equipped up with the kinds of weapons they had earlier in the season to completely wipe them from existence in seconds. Strangely all those weapons have gone walkabout. But even with crossbows, they'd completely wipe the floor with them. Negan's still excellent. Always scheming. I just wonder where it's all heading. Rick not being in the show really sucks. He kept everything together. Now everything's disjointed.
    Last edited by icemann; 11th Mar 2019 at 10:47.

I'm just not emotionally invested in the show like I used to be. It has some character developments which may yet draw me in but just now I'm on the fence. I'll watch though.

Finally watched Get Out. It was damn good. Seriously creepy. It leaned heavily on whitey being an evil faker underneath, almost to a hilarious degree, but the creep factor was so heavy it passed believability anyway. It reminded me of The Stepford Wives in it's fear of other. I would have preferred a darker ending along the lines of Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge but as Hollywood endings go it wasn't bad. I swear the brother was channeling Brad Pit in Twelve Monkeys. Watch it and tell me he wasn't.

SShock2.com

l don't usually care about threads like these, but for once, I have something to say.

I'm not much for superhero stuff, I kinda outgrew that in the 1970s. However, Netflix is doing a lot of that. I started watching Punisher, which was ok, but not the point of this post. At some point I realised I should probably have to watch Daredevil for the backstory of his character. This is what this post is about.

Daredevil is not a good show. Maybe 3.5 out of 5, at best. Lackluster actors, poor writing. But. BUT. There is one very big reason you should watch all of season 1.

His name is Vincent D'Onofrio. He plays Fisk. I've been a fan of him for decades, I did not realise he was in this show, but this is perhaps his finest ever work. We've all seen the stereotypical bad guy villains. He is nothing of the sort. Finally, a fully, fleshed out, 3D, complex, believable, understandable character, expertly played by D'Onofrio. Just look at his very subtle face movements as he speaks. Maybe the actor knows he's just in some pulp superhero crap, but he's playing it like Shakespeare.

I will fully agree that Daredevil season one is not good, except when he's in it, then it goes to awesome. You will have to drudge through some crap scenes with the main actors to get to his bits, agreed, but he does so much steal the show it will be worth your time.

And no, I am not just saying that because he plays a big fat bald bastard who always wears black. It's me, him, and Gru. We are cliches, I know. I'm saying it because he does it so well.

The Accountant is the most misleading film title since The Wind That Shakes The Barley. Not a single Excel spreadsheet in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    l don't usually care about threads like these, but for once, I have something to say.

I'm not much for superhero stuff, I kinda outgrew that in the 1970s. However, Netflix is doing a lot of that. I started watching Punisher, which was ok, but not the point of this post. At some point I realised I should probably have to watch Daredevil for the backstory of his character. This is what this post is about.

Daredevil is not a good show. Maybe 3.5 out of 5, at best. Lackluster actors, poor writing. But. BUT. There is one very big reason you should watch all of season 1.

His name is Vincent D'Onofrio. He plays Fisk. I've been a fan of him for decades, I did not realise he was in this show, but this is perhaps his finest ever work. We've all seen the stereotypical bad guy villains. He is nothing of the sort. Finally, a fully, fleshed out, 3D, complex, believable, understandable character, expertly played by D'Onofrio. Just look at his very subtle face movements as he speaks. Maybe the actor knows he's just in some pulp superhero crap, but he's playing it like Shakespeare.

I will fully agree that Daredevil season one is not good, except when he's in it, then it goes to awesome. You will have to drudge through some crap scenes with the main actors to get to his bits, agreed, but he does so much steal the show it will be worth your time.

And no, I am not just saying that because he plays a big fat bald bastard who always wears black. It's me, him, and Gru. We are cliches, I know. I'm saying it because he does it so well.
    It's one thing to say you don't care for the genre, but Daredevil is an utterly exemplary show all around by the standards of comic book media. Season 3 is the peak, though.

The Punisher, on the other hand, is not so great. Season 1 has some good moments but is loaded with filler and poorly paced. S2 doesn't even manage that much. It's a tough to 'get right' these days, if that's even possible.

SShock2.com

You may be right in saying that Daredevil is a better show than Punisher, but I didn't like the Daredevil cast and I'm enjoying Punisher a lot more. D'Onofrio and the Punisher elements were really the only bits I liked in Daredevil, aside from the occasional scene where Foggy completely destroys someone with legalese. Also, I suppose I would rather see shootouts than acrobatic hand-to-hand combat, it gets old really quickly to me.

I'm a leftist, liberal, peaceloving, treehugging, anti-gun, anti-violence environmentalist softie, as close you can get to a hippie without the long greasy hair and weed bong, and Punisher is quite the opposite, all about killing people and blowing stuff up, but I'm enjoying it. I've seen the various other Punisher movies, and I find this series better than all of them. I do like a good revenge movie. To quote comedian Nish Kumar, nobody wants to see a leftist action movie, where all conflicts are resolved by sitting down and talking sensibly about them.

Nish Kumar. I have been re-watching (!?) Taskmaster - currently, as it happens, in the season he is in. Which is not terribly relevant.

I guess there is a recommendation in there. Yeah, Taskmaster. It is a comedy show. Comedy tends to be very subjective, so - just watch one to see if it is to your liking. It is also, to some degree, a variety show due to the variety of tasks - so it is bound to have parts you rather skip.

PS. there is a one season US version also - with half of the stuff cut out and the Taskmaster being horribly useless. Also, ALL of the tasks are recycled. ALL of them. They did not bother to come up with a singe one for the entire season. Still, even that is a bit of fun to watch - just watch the UK version first.

Last night watched Annihilation. Pure science fiction this definitely is. Been loving lately how many pure sci-fi movies (with no fantasy in them) have been coming out.

Definitely a odd movie, though it keeps you enthralled throughout much of it. Start was half half, but once they go into that zone it gets really good. I had no idea where this movie was heading for the majority of it, and the end whilst clear cut, does leave you wondering what happened after that. Great music, with the credits music staying with me long after the movie finished.

That half bear, half panther monster/animal was damn creepy. How it gained the ability to speak with the woman's voice after it killed her, was quite freaky. Though it didn't eat her, so I don't get why it was after them. Why they all stopped getting hungry or thirsty once they entered the zone was odd as well. The found footage bits were excellent.

9/10

This is unrelated to anything but I was looking for some old post of mine about a film and I ended up at the beginning of this very thread and it's a few months short of 10 freaking years ago holy shit.

To stay on topic, Captain Marvel is okay. A bit too on the nose with the 90's refs and it's a bit hard to be scared for a protag that's never in any danger. But it stays pretty solid thanks to supporting cast Samuel L Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn and Lashana Lynch. The Stan Lee tribute was a beautiful touch.

Keeping in the MCU, finished Punisher season 2 and it was alright. Dropped a bit compared to S1, but it's a shame it's been cancelled, as I thought the guy who plays Castle was pretty good at it.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    How it gained the ability to speak with the woman's voice after it killed her, was quite freaky.
    I really like Annihilation too. A bit of sleeper sci-fi ace. That bit reminded me of Book of The New Sun. I'm sure the writer has read that.

Quote Originally Posted by raph View Post
    a bit hard to be scared for a protag that's never in any danger.
    This is the same for every. single. Marvel film though, isn't it? Except Infinity War and Endgame because they're finishing this arc.

It's what made GoT so good - genuine character vulnerability.

*It's what made the first 3 seasons of GoT so good until it decided to break its own rules.

For the first three seasons it was following the books.

LittleFlower
    This week I saw a mini-series from 2016. Made by HBO. "The Night Of". 8 Episodes. Pretty well-made TV. About someone getting in trouble with the law. Not too fast, not a lot of action. Don't read anything about it, just watch it. John Turturro is in it.

Yeah I liked that too. It didn't have the same clever dialog and character study that True Detective S1 had, but it handled the criminal procedure stuff and plot better, and the characters & their development were still really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    This is the same for every. single. Marvel film though, isn't it? Except Infinity War and Endgame because they're finishing this arc. .
    True, of course. But in legacy Avengers, there's always a chink in the armor, something that can bring them down. Here I didn't feel there was anything, she wipes the floor with everyone on her way. She flies through a freaking spaceship. Lengthwise. With just her regular Kree suit.

Bit extreme, even by established MCU standards...

Cool visuals tho. Curious about Endgame now.
    Last edited by raph; 16th Mar 2019 at 08:43. Reason: Spoiled out spoiler

Page 181 of 205 FirstFirst ... 81131136141146151156161166171176177178179180181182183184185186191196201 ... LastLast