TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 19 of 206 FirstFirst ... 491415161718192021222324293439444954596469119 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Still Subjective
    You be busy doing that whilst I did Joely Richardson so why do get the impression I'd be the one who would feel wrong?

Woah did I walk into the conversation at the wrong moment or what.

Anyway:

Event Horizon owns as both a horror movie/romantic comedy/action film - yeah that's how deep it goes...

I'm keeping tabs on Dexter and really enjoying S4 - far superior to Season 3 and Jon Lithgow is fucking evil in this role.

Has anyone watched any of the Legend of the Seeker episodes? Its not bad; utterly terrible acting through but it has nice touches from the books and the Mord Sith are exactly as I pictured...even Cara.

V = win.

I watched the season 3 finale of Mad Men last week and can only say that it was the best television hour i've watched all year. Marvelous show and if you're not watching this then you need to.right.the.hell.now.

Got Ink and Inglorious Basterds on my list for this weekend at some point.

Chakat sex pillow
    V's been a nice watch so far, but has more shoddy plotting and holes than Swiss cheese. Speaking of which, the terrorism angle has been done to death, and I think BSG handled that aspect a little better and with less. (Cheese, that is.)

I did grin when I saw Rekha Sharma appear out of nowhere. It's an interesting casting coincidence. I have a feeling that at some unspecific point in the future, she's going to start humming Bob Dylan songs in her head and suddenly realise she's a Cylon Visitor.

Just finished watching Barton Fink (am tracking down and viewing the Coen Brothers films I missed out on). I don't like it as much as some of their other stuff - it drags in the middle and the whole affair could probably stand to lose 15-20 minutes - but very well crafted, great performances, and the final half hour is awesome.

Next stop: Burn After Reading!

Inglourious Basterds.

What a hilarious and, at the same time, terrifyng movie! I found it very, very intelligent and enjoyable and liked it even more than Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs (my previous favourite Tarantino's films).

Last edited by bukary; 22nd Nov 2009 at 05:21.

Quote Originally Posted by bukary View Post
    Inglourious Basterds.

What a hilarious and, at the same time, terrifyng movie! I found it very, very intelligent and enjoyable and liked it even more than Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs (my previous favourite Tarantino's films).

Interesting - I've got this to watch later today. While I'm looking forward to it, I have heard both bad and good things about it. Why did you find it terrifying? Isn't it all mainly talk?

Or is that MANLY talk....yeah.

Today I watched The Jane Austen Bookclub.

It was pretty damn good actually.

Addendum: for a chick flick
    Last edited by Scots Taffer; 22nd Nov 2009 at 09:35.

Now that exams are done, I finally got to see Bruno and Inglorious Basterds.

Bruno was pretty hilarious in parts, but fell apart towards the end. I still have no idea how he was allowed to show a solid 10-15 seconds of meatspin on a movie.

Basterds had some sublime characters (Landa) and scenes (opening scene and the "Bwongiornoh" scene), but as a whole I just felt like it fell apart a bit. I never really felt like the two plot lines gelled at all, basically because they never actually ineracted with each other until the final 10 minutes. Ultimately, I got to the end of the film and just said, who cares? When you spend two and a half hours (to say the film was poorly edited would be beyond an understatement, but of course Tarantino has a lifelong get out of jail free card for this kind of shit) learning about how all of these characters are basically dicks, why should I be involved at the close when they all die? It's not that I desire clear cut good/bad dichotomy and ultimate closure in a film, but at the same time, to be involved in a film I need to be able to relate to the characters on some level. As always though, great soundtrack, great dialogue, great style.

Still Subjective
    Seen the first 2 episodes of the new V and whilst it looks nice, and Anna/Diana is cast really well, the pace is all wrong. Its just moving too fast and as such is devoid of any tension. If they drew it out a bit more it would be much more satisfying. Wtf is with giant ships entering the atmosphere and no one noticing until they are just arriving above big cities? Badly written in that respect but where are the plotholes people are talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post

Next stop: Burn After Reading!
    Yes yes yes.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by bukary View Post
    Inglourious Basterds.

Inglourious Basterds is basically Wolfenstein 3D: The Movie.

After recently finishing Star Trek: Voyager and Battlestar Galactica, I'm now making my way through all of the original Star Trek series. I just finished the third ep of the first season, Gary Marshall gets Q-like powers and Kirk has to find a way to kill him.

Also, my parents have never seen any of the Aliens movies, so I'm visiting them once a week to watch them with them

Level 10,000 achieved
    Watched the last 3 episodes of BSG season 3 yesterday. The last episode was great, very exciting. And the part where eveybody starts figuring out the lyrics to the song they're subconsciously hearing (Galen: "there must be some kind of way out of here..." Saul: "said the joker to the thief...") had me laughing my ass off. It's so goddamn audacious of the series writers. Practically fourth wall breaking, but it works. And the plottwist that comes right after that scene. Oh my god. Jesus. Fuck.

Roll on, season 4.

The remake of The Prisoner. As expected, Ian McKellen dominates every scene that he's in.

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

The 13th Warrior for the fifth or sixth time. Great movie based on The Eaters of the Dead.

For a change, not a great deviation from the novel.

Finally watched Let the Right One In.... what the fuck was that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Finally watched Let the Right One In.... what the fuck was that.
    The correct answer is: a fucking great movie.

Me and Jess just last weekend done watched: Donnie Brasco, Gran Torino, The Omega Man, In Bruges

Wouldn't hesitate to reccomend every one of them. Wouldn't know where to start. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    Gran Torino
    A good one, but Eastwood overplayed a bit.

And I just re-watched Carlito's Way, still great.
    Last edited by 242; 24th Nov 2009 at 18:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post
    The correct answer is: a fucking great movie.
    I don't know, I wish I had seen that - just because the Vampire genre has been fairly bankrupt for some time doesn't make one of the most preponderous and boringly paced movies I've ever seen that much more effective. It also probably didn't help that there was no tension or mystery to the proceedings whatsoever, nearly every major scene was massively telegraphed.

Fucking hell, it shits me when Eurotrash film-makers think that brushing your teeth is interesting filler in a movie supposedly about vampires and a bullied kid falling in love.

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
    In Bruges
    Superb

Quote Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
    Woah did I walk into the conversation at the wrong moment or what.

I'm keeping tabs on Dexter and really enjoying S4 - far superior to Season 3 and Jon Lithgow is fucking evil in this role.
    I don't have premium cable channels, so I see Dexter when it comes out on DVD and I'm always a year behind. Season 3 was a bit of a letdown. Glad to hear Season 4 is better.

Has anyone watched any of the Legend of the Seeker episodes? Its not bad; utterly terrible acting through but it has nice touches from the books and the Mord Sith are exactly as I pictured...even Cara.
    Haven't read the books, but I've enjoyed the series, bad acting and all.

Another series I've enjoyed recently on DVD is Harper's Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuth View Post
    Season 3 was a bit of a letdown. Glad to hear Season 4 is better.
    If you thought Season 3 was a letdown, avoid Season 4.

I don't know, I wish I had seen that - just because the Vampire genre has been fairly bankrupt for some time doesn't make one of the most preponderous and boringly paced movies I've ever seen that much more effective. It also probably didn't help that there was no tension or mystery to the proceedings whatsoever, nearly every major scene was massively telegraphed.

Fucking hell, it shits me when Eurotrash film-makers think that brushing your teeth is interesting filler in a movie supposedly about vampires and a bullied kid falling in love.
    That's not the correct answer.

It's been a while since I saw it, but as a recall it the teeth-brushing scene is not filler, it's a bit day-to-day interaction with his mother, developing their relationship, giving as glimpse of Oskar as a normal happy kid and serving as a counterpoint to the bullying and blood of the rest of the movie.

The trajectory of coming of age stories are always fairly predictable, the pleasure's in watching the characters develop, but I found the ambiguity of Let The Right One In lent more than enough suspense to the proceedings, and I could soak in that atmosphere all day.

I should watch it again actually, and see if knowing what that scene reveals about Eli places a different spin on things.

Just watched Green Wing through for the second time. Whether it's the stop/start cinematography, or the lazzi style bits, or the trip-hop soundtrack, or the wildly absurd surrealist humor, or the perfect casting, it's definitely one of my favorite narrative comedy shows ever. Stands up to repeat viewings in a way that I was surprised, as most britcoms really don't.

I don't know, I wish I had seen that - just because the Vampire genre has been fairly bankrupt for some time doesn't make one of the most preponderous and boringly paced movies I've ever seen that much more effective.
    Gonna have to agree with Scots here. I really wanted to like it, but apart from the pseudo-plot-holes (the film couldn't seem to decide on its "vampire mythology" and what it actually meant to be a vampire) it was subtle as a bag of hammers.

Page 19 of 206 FirstFirst ... 491415161718192021222324293439444954596469119 ... LastLast