TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I just got through my week long bing through Dark. Awesome show all around.
    Glad you liked it.

I'm watching another show this week. Sharp Objects. HBO show, 2018, 8 episodes. After a novel, so when the 8 episodes are done, the series is done. I'm not sure what to think of this one. But it's good. I've seen 6/8 episodes so far. Really well made. The last 2 tv-series I've seen were Dark and Twin Peaks. This got nothing to do with that. This is a show after a novel written by a woman, the main character is a woman, the scriptwriter and producers are women. And most of the characters in the story are women. On top of that, I usually want a movie or a series to have at least one person I can relate to. The main character in Sharp Objects (played by Amy Adams) has absolutely nothing in common with me. But I still like it.

It's about a woman reporter that goes back to the little city where she grew up, to report about a girl that was murdered, and one girl that is missing. The story is good. The setting is done very well, I think. The actors are good. The attention to detail is amazing. I'm gonna watch the last 2 episodes tomorrow night.

What makes me happy is the fact that this is just a very good tv-series, that I had not heard of before. It seems people are still getting better at making tv-series. And companies allow those people to do whatever they wanna do. Movies are dead. I've watched a lot (really a lot) of movies since I was 20 years old. I can talk for hours about my favorite movies. But for some reason, the last 10 years have produced about zero movies that I like. Since I was able to watch movies over the net (2008) I've watched a lot of movies that were on my "back-catalogue". But for some reason, that stopped a few years ago. It's almost as if I've seen all the good movies. And no new good movies are being made these days. I'm not alone in this. My sister's boyfriend is a huge movie-watcher. He's seen a lot more movies than me (also Asian and more obscure movies). But he stopped watching movies 2-3 years ago. Same reason: there are no new interesting movies.

But tv-series are alive. Every year we get a handful of really good, or really entertaining series. I also hope we'll get more series made outside the US and the UK. (Dutch television is mostly Dutch of course, with a bunch of American main-stream movies, and a lot of British detective-series). Dark was good. I'd love to see some Russian tv-series for a change. Russians are good story-tellers.

Anyway, if people have access to Sharp Objects, and got 8 hours to spend, maybe you should watch it. I was sure people on TTLG would like Dark, because the story has a big element in it that would fly with the typical TTLG forum-goer. That's not the case for Sharp Objects. But the show seems to be so well done, that I think people will still like it, even if it doesn't have fantasy or sci-fi elements in it.

Edit: I watched the last 2 episodes of Sharp Objects tonight.
    Jezus Christ.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 28th Aug 2019 at 22:09.

I watched the first eppy of Dark and it seems pretty good indeed, I'll keep on watching. Feels like a German Stranger Things, which is pretty cool.

On the other hand, I watched the first of The Boys and... it did absolutely nothing to me. Not sure why, it just falls flat. *shrug*

I'll check Sharp Objects, Gryz. Sounds pretty good by your description, and I'd watch Amy Adams in pretty much anything.
    Last edited by raph; 28th Aug 2019 at 19:15. Reason: typo

LittleFlower
    Stranger Things is fun. But it's basically a kid's show. Nothing deep. A bunch of cliches with some kid's humor and some eighties nostalgia. Dark requires you to have a few more iq-points than Stanger Things. Maybe I also liked Dark because it was German. I live 300 meters from the German border. But I never go there. I watch a little German tv sometimes, but not really much. But the Dutch people are basically Germans with their own language. When I watch US tv-shows, it is so obvious that Americans really have a different culture in so many ways. (Sharp Objects is a good example. The things people say or do in that show are sometimes so outrageous, unbelievable. But I do know there are people who are really like that. Just not in my world). On the other hand, watching Germans is like watching Dutch people with a strange accent. So a show like Dark (or Parfum) is much closer to home for me. The people, and especially the kids, seem so much more natural than kids in American shows. That's why I'd like to see Netflix do more international shows.

Oh, another recommendation is Parfum. Perfume. Another German Netflix show. Released in November 2018. Vaguely related to the book/movie Perfume. (The kids in the show have all read the book. Smell plays a role in the story). I don't think it's as good or memorable as Dark, Twin Peaks, Sharp Objects, Breaking Bad, etc. But it's still worth watching.

As regular TV is shit these days, and there are no new good movies, I depend on tv-shows now to be able to watch a couple of hours of decent tv per week. I've even gone back and watched all of Ally McBeal a couple of years ago. All of House M.D. For a while I was a little afraid that there would not be enough new stuff to keep me entertained. But I might be wrong. Since the spring I watched Parfum (good), Russian Doll (okish), The Night Of (pretty good), Game Of Thrones (fuck GRRM, and especially fuck D&D), Stranger Things (entertaining), Twin Peaks (good, but not as perfect as I had hoped), Chernobyl (good), Dark (awesome) and now Sharp Objects (awesome). Later this year I'll watch the last season of Elementary (okish, I happen to like Lu), the next season of Vikings (best part is over), the last season of Mr Robot (high hopes). I'm not bored yet.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 28th Aug 2019 at 11:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    Stranger Things is fun. But it's basically a kid's show. Nothing deep. A bunch of cliches with some kid's humor and some eighties nostalgia. Dark requires you to have a few more iq-points than Stanger Things.
    Yeah I think I can handle

LittleFlower
    Sorry. That remark wasn't supposed to be a snide or snarky remark at you. It's a snarky remark at Stranger Things.

Continue watching Dark. When you are at episode 8, and you can still follow the story easily and know who is who, you're doing a good job. After the 2nd episode, I made a list myself with the names (especially family names) of all the characters in the show. Without that, this show can get confusing. You will see what I mean, especially once you watched episode 8 (or more). In any case, don't look at wiki-pages, don't google for family-trees. Those are full of spoilers. Spoilers you really don't wanna see. Mostly because it spoils the fun of figuring out what's happening, and maybe some little surprises too. Don't do it. Making your own list is easy: there's just 4 families you need to track.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Rewatched "The Faculty". It is so 90s, and is all the better for it. Most of the stuff in that, we'd never see in a movie nowadays. Very un-PC. Great acting across the board. Proved that Robert Patrick was not a 1 shot pony, as he was great as well in it.
    That inspired me to rewatch it. I don't think I'd seen this since it came out.

(It's a funny story in fact I got my ticket and kinda followed the crowds in and took a seat. And then during the trailers there was this last one that very long. Soo long. After an embarrassingly long moment I finally realized I had gotten into the wrong room and I was watching The Faculty instead of the flick I had the ticket for. I stayed because what the hell, had a great time. I don't remember which one it was I was supposed to see but I went the next day.)

Great flick, didn't remember it was by Robert Rodriguez. Perfect use of horror and scifi tropes to both direct and subvert the action, I wanted to compare it to Scream in that regard but I see that the same guy wrote both, so that explains why it nails it where others failed... and indeed the cast is just top-notch. I had no clue Jon Stewart played one of the teachers!

Good stuff.

I'd forgotten a whole heap of people were in it. Usher for example. Can only recall him being in that + She's All That. Famke Janssen as one of the teachers. Not her best role, but she does well enough.

For her best - Be either in Goldeneye or that episode of The Next Generation where she fell for Picard. Great stuff.

So, fresh off Once upon a time... in Hollywood

I don't know. It's well shot, the actors are incredible, the soundtrack is phenomenal, the recreation of 1969 LA is, presumably, second to none... But while it contains good moments, I can't say the film as a whole didn't convince me. The entire endeavor leaves the taste of a kinda vapid, and ultimately frivolous self-indulgence. And there's a dissonance in the ending that I find disturbing. (Not unlike Inglorious Bastards, but then I really didn't like that one)

I'm kinda disappointed. I miss the snappy-dialogue, story-driven Tarantino of the 90s.

And the 747 didn't make its first commercial flight until January 1970, ffs. I guess it goes with the alternate history thing.

Might come back later after I digest it.

Just got back from watching It Chapter 2. This remake of part 2 of the original mini-series shares the same issue that the original (of part 2) had, where the first part was better imo.

However it does a lot of things better than the original version did. Obviously you have the MASSIVE difference in budget, and on higher quality actors. Which shows. It has far more laughs in key bits, deviates (though not to the same degree as they did with part 1), and it glues better with part 1. In the original's case, part 2 had a severe disconnect with the first part, but has it's own strengths too (eg the KISS ME FAT BOY bit was wayyyyyyyy better in the original one. Also this for me, felt more like a Nightmare on Elm Street movie, due to the amount of nightmare flash backs + bits that felt like dream sequences, where the characters in them for me never were really in any danger. Your results may vary there, as it does come down to perspective.

The best bits in this one for me, where parts of no major consequence, such as a Stan Lee style cameo from a particular book author, and of a particular door sequence. The final battle was definitely FAR superior to that of the original. Getting to see more scenes from back when they were kids was great, which the original (of part 2) lacked. Overall I quite enjoyed it, and I see these as far superior to the original mini-series. That said though, the originals stand on their own, and are worthy watches in their own right (even just for Tim Curry's version of Pennywise alone). Tim Curry's Pennywise had a distinct creepiness to him. This one is more jump scares style scary.

7/10. This is how you do a remake. Not how The Lion King did it.

Oh and the ending differs greatly on one key aspect. In the original after defeating Pennywise one of the characters commented that they were already starting to forget what had happened. In this one that didn't happen, and that is pointed directly. Only 1 single scene was almost a 1 to 1 bit for bit remake. The Chinese restaurant bit. Everything else deviated to differing degrees. A lot happened entirely differently.
    Last edited by icemann; 6th Sep 2019 at 07:35.

Still Subjective
    Interesting. I found IT really boring compared to the original. I think the structure is different, no? Weren't there flashbacks from the start in the original? I also couldn't help comparing to Stranger Things, which I know took from the original IT.

One problem I had was the internal logic of Pennywise. It didn't makes sense to me, running around and fighting and blah blah when it seems obvious he's powerful enough to snuff you out in an instant.

I think I need to go and re-watch the mini-series again, as it has been a long time since I last watched it.

Even watching a video on the differences between the 2 versions made me remember some good bits in the original that this remake did not have:

The structure is definitely different in the remake compared to the original. In the remake it's quite disjointed, since it switches from past - > present -> dream sequence -> present -> past -> present etc etc, which really throws you off. And that's why it reminded me of a Nightmare on Elm Street movie (as they commonly use sequences to throw you off in those). Some characters were eliminated almost entirely from the remake, that took part in key bits in the original. Like the wife of one of the group, and a particular person who in the remake commits suicide at the start of the movie, where as he's alive and kicking all the way up to the final battle in the original.

The more I sit and think about it, the more I'm divided on which is the better final chapter.

SShock2.com

Since I like sci-fi, I started watching Another Life, but so far I'm a bit underwhelmed. I like some of the actors, but their characters are generally unlikable, and it's putting me off. Maybe it gets better later on, when things start to actually happen or are explained, but 4-5 episodes in, I'm actually asking myself why I'm wasting my time. I really want this to be good, I really do, but.... it's more of a "meh", so far. It might get better.

Watching some of it just makes me want to go back and rewatch The Expanse again.

Same here, Gray. I couldn't even get past the first half of the first episode. I found it dreadfully uninspired...

On the other hand, I've been watching Carole & Tuesday, by Shinichiro Watanabe of Cowboy Bebop fame. It's full of heart and great music and very refreshing, personally I love it.

SShock2.com

It's not just that it's uninspired, it feels like I have to endure the crappy bits before it gets good. I just don't know if it'll ever get good, so I'm just enduring it. Endure. That's the operative word here. As opposed to enjoy.

I really want to like it, I just find that I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Some characters were eliminated almost entirely from the remake, that took part in key bits in the original. Like the wife of one of the group, and a particular person who in the remake commits suicide at the start of the movie, where as he's alive and kicking all the way up to the final battle in the original.
    Oh, they kept that part in? That's good to hear. That's the way it happens in the book. To be honest I hoped they kept that in, because it drives home how terrified everyone is of It.

I'll be seeing It 2 in a couple of weeks with a friend. Looking forward to it!

Be interesting to hear what you think of it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I don't normally watch reality shows, but this show where it's basically Ninja Warriors but with drift cars is very much my kinda thing.

Good balance between the racing and the personal drama too. Atsushi Taniguchi is my fave.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    I really want to like it, I just find that I'm not.
    It's got dreadful reviews, no? I started watching it but didn't get through the first episode. I also tried Nightflyers and stopped watching that about half way through the series when the "mother" was revealed.

I did, however, get through all of Origins, which you might want to try.

It pales in comparison to The Expanse though. Afaik, there are no good sci-fi series on streaming that I haven't seen other than Dark.

SShock2.com

I watched all of Nightflyers, since I'm both a fan of sci-fi and Game of Thrones, and GRRM wrote it, but I found it rather unsatisfactory as well. After I watched it, I went back to rewatch The Expanse again, and it was so much better. In fact, thinking about it now, I might do a fourth run of Expanse. Not seen a show that good in ages.

BANNED
    Last week I saw Perfume for the second time.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm tearing through episodes of Frasier at the moment, probably due to a fit of nostalgia.

For a 90's sitcom, it's aged surprisingly well.

Chakat sex pillow
    It helps that Frasier wasn't particularly moored to its time or place. It also helps that, y'know, it's smarter than your average sitcom and puts a good deal of effort into its situations and the subsequent payoffs. 'Ham Radio' remains one of the funniest episodes of anything I've ever watched; I remember seeing it with my siblings and all of us roaring with laughter at the way it concluded what we thought was going to be a boring, trivial setup.

Moderator and Priest
    I'll go ahead and watch that one right fast. It's only 9 episodes ahead of where I'm at anyway.

Moderator and Priest
    Mubbuble mububurs

Chakat sex pillow
    Look out, he's got a nug!

Page 190 of 205 FirstFirst ... 90140145150155160165170175180185186187188189190191192193194195200 ... LastLast