TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Clearly that's because they're all cyborgs from the same battle unit? Either way, same difference. I had forgotten the origin, though.

@dema: confused by your timeline. Are you saying the high-point was at the part you left off, with 50 minutes to go? In which case I'd agree
    Yes, that's what I was saying. So we're in agreement.

But I was saying it in retrospect. At the time I left off of course I couldn't have known that that was around the high point. (And even in retrospect, it was already by my memory of where I had left off, which was already a few days old.) I just knew up to that point (at the earlier time) that I was really liking it, where it was going, & it was on a high, and I suppose expecting it to reach even higher highs when it inevitably got to the Moterball part.

But I wanted to give a review that covered everything, so that's why I kept going on to the motorball race, but I see that I didn't organize my thoughts all that well.

I might not have said this, but what I was thinking anyway was that the movie set up the first motorball rally to be the high point, and I was granting that it had some cool visuals and all just in pure action movie terms, but it wasn't actually all that high a point just because so much was going on in the plot to begin with it wasn't set up to pay off (not even getting to the level of detail you're talking about, which is another layer). And mid-way through it when she broke out of the race is actually when I thought the plotting started to derail and quickly fall apart. So that's another knock against it.

Even in that last third there were some great visuals and action sequences, so I didn't mind too much. It was what I set myself up to enjoy from the beginning, so it paid off for me in that way, and I was just happy that the first half of it actually had some great plotting, character work, and storytelling too, if you want to frame it that way.
    Last edited by demagogue; 21st Sep 2019 at 08:57.

LittleFlower
    I watched Zone Blanche (Black Spot). Season 1, made in 2017, has 8 episodes, is French, was picked up by Netflix this year. Season 2 was released on Netflix last June.

Not exceptional. (Like Dark, Sharp Objects or Twin Peaks). But good, and entertaining enough to keep watching. A remote village, in the middle of the French woods. The village has an unexpectedly high death/murder rate. Local police, with the help of an outside district attorney, try to solve these cases. While progressing through the individual cases/episodes, larger background stories slowly develop.

What I especially like, is the fact that this is French. Not American, not British. Something else. I like that very much. I would love it if Netflix (or someone else) would publish a Russian or Korean or whatever series. I know there are lots of Scandinavian police/detective series. But for some reason, they remind me too much of their British counter-parts. Anyone got a good suggestion for a Scandinavian series ? Preferably one that has a bit more content than the typical "whodunnit". (I remember The Killing was supposed to be good. Correct ? Is it more than just a police/detective show ?). I've seen the Dragon Tattoo girl series 10+ years ago. I thought that was boring. Any other suggestions ? The Bridge maybe ? Something Italian or Spanish maybe ?

Gonna watch Zone Blanche season 2 next.
    Then I have to hurry and rewatch Mr Robot season 1-3, so I will be in time to watch the new season 4 in October.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 21st Sep 2019 at 08:54.

The best Scandinavian series I've seen lately was Occupied (Norwegian: Okkupert) about Norway being quietly (at first) occupied by Russia. It was right after the quiet occupation & annexation of Crimea so it suddenly felt like something that could just happen one day. The geopolitics part isn't even the important part IMO; if you took away the historic paranoia of sharing a border with Russia (important to the target audience but not really me), it could have been fictional countries. It's just fascinating to see how an occupation & puppet government and all of that stuff familiar from the Cold War era would play out in our current era. And it's played like an historic drama / action movie, so it's fun to watch.

The others I have on my list are Danish, Rejseholdet/Mobile Unit, which I think is what made police procedurals a thing there (the episodes are kind of quaint and cliche by the police show standards now, but it's the classic anyway), and Riget/The Kingdom which I guess is exactly the kind of supernatural medical drama horror you'd expect Lars von Trier to make, for better and worse.

LittleFlower
    Thanks. I'll watch Okkupert. I might check out your other suggestions later. (I'm allergic to Lars von Trier, so I need to be careful what I watch).

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    The best Scandinavian series I've seen lately was Occupied (Norwegian: Okkupert) about Norway being quietly (at first) occupied by Russia. It was right after the quiet occupation & annexation of Crimea so it suddenly felt like something that could just happen one day. The geopolitics part isn't even the important part IMO; if you took away the historic paranoia of sharing a border with Russia (important to the target audience but not really me), it could have been fictional countries. It's just fascinating to see how an occupation & puppet government and all of that stuff familiar from the Cold War era would play out in our current era. And it's played like an historic drama / action movie, so it's fun to watch.

The others I have on my list are Danish, Rejseholdet/Mobile Unit, which I think is what made police procedurals a thing there (the episodes are kind of quaint and cliche by the police show standards now, but it's the classic anyway), and Riget/The Kingdom which I guess is exactly the kind of supernatural medical drama horror you'd expect Lars von Trier to make, for better and worse.
    I'm from Denmark and remember liking Rejseholdet, but it must be almost 20 years ago by now that I watched it, so I was also just a teenager (back when it aired on danish television). Could be an interesting re-watch today, when the genre has developed so much, and fun seeing characters like Mads Mikkelsen from before he became a big-shot. Riget I only watched small parts of and yes, I think you are right in your expectations on that.
    Did you watch Broen?

Finally saw "The Dead Don't Die". Wish I hadn't. It was a zombie movie with Bill Murray. By all rights it should have been a no brainer win. It was a no brainer lose. The writing was the laziest thing I've ever seen. Laconic buildup. Laconic middle. Just give up and do stupid shit end while still being laconic. It even broke the fourth wall. Nobody even tried to make it decent. Shit writer. Completely shit. Not a smidge of funny. Not a whit of wit. Not a scare to be found. Not only did you not care about the characters but you wanted them to die only you felt cheated you couldn't kill them yourself. Particularly the writer.

Watched the first episode of the BH 90210 semi requel (reboot / sequel). Odd start to a show. Something to watch, when you want to watch something whilst having dinner. Not to be taken seriously, as each of the actors is playing themselves, but just a more comedic overblown version.

Some of the actors have aged better than others. Not something you'd rewatch.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Finally saw "The Dead Don't Die". Wish I hadn't.
    This the Adam Driver film? If so, thanks for the warning. I'm disappointed though, as I was looking forward to it.

I'm watching The Capture on BBC. Very good.

Also saw The Boys. Surprisingly high quality, or not I suppose - it does have Karl Urban and Elizabeth Shue in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Finally saw "The Dead Don't Die". Wish I hadn't. It was a zombie movie with Bill Murray. By all rights it should have been a no brainer win. It was a no brainer lose. The writing was the laziest thing I've ever seen. Laconic buildup. Laconic middle. Just give up and do stupid shit end while still being laconic. It even broke the fourth wall. Nobody even tried to make it decent. Shit writer. Completely shit. Not a smidge of funny. Not a whit of wit. Not a scare to be found. Not only did you not care about the characters but you wanted them to die only you felt cheated you couldn't kill them yourself. Particularly the writer.
    Oh no. I was looking forward for it too.

Yeah. It hurt my feelings. I've never seen Bill Murray in a stinker before this. I love zombie flicks. I WANTED to like this. I TRIED to like it. I gave up a hard fought battle about a third of the way in and watched the whole thing getting more and more depressed it was so bad. It broke the fourth wall for godsake. Only the laziest writer does that. Didn't even try. The only part mildly funny was that only one person showed any emotion in the whole film and that was the female deputy and she went way overboard. I don't think that was intentional though. It's kind of like the writer hated zombie movies and somebody MADE him do one.

They even spent part of the flick building up some small measure of feeling for a kid who knew horror and even Creepy magazine only to spend him needlessly and foolishly. They showed what happened to him so I suppose that is something. With some you had an inkling of like for they just did a POW here they are dead. At least they didn't wreck the 68 Lemans.

Well, I don't think breaking the fourth wall is necessarily bad in a comedy. Mel Brooks and Monty Python did it a lot. And there are lots of other examples... Airplane!, Wayne's World, Austin Powers. And even some of the less goofy ones like Amelie. Hell, Princess Bride has it as a part of its framing device. But if it's done in a bad way and doesn't match the tone of the film, it can certainly be very irritating.

For me, the laziest thing a screenwriter can do is have a scene with the characters just standing around and telling jokes. If you're not making use of the visual medium, you might as well be doing a radio play. Every Frame a Painting has a really good video on this:

Here's the opening of Shaun of the Dead to further illustrate his point:

Last edited by Starker; 26th Sep 2019 at 00:04.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Early shoe-in for Best Animated Short Oscar:

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    OK, I' watch it. (The Guest) Just because of the music and your recommendation.

I'll discuss Clan Of Xymox in the music thread.
    I'm gonna count that as a win for quality culture.

I'm currently catching up with the second season of Hip Hop Evolution on Netflix and I'm reallly diggin' it. Great documentary series.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    OK, I' watch it. Just because of the music and your recommendation.
    The Guest has great atmosphere, partly because of the excellent music (big-up to Gunship!) but the main performances are also really good. The plot is okay, but it really has a weak last third.

Stoker has a similar feel and some similarity in the plot and I think it's a more accomplished film. A lot darker, but it was good stuff.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 28th Sep 2019 at 10:18.

SShock2.com

Yeah, that's what I meant about disappointment, but the performances are so good I can let it slide. And also, it has Xymox in it. Three songs! I know I said it already, but I'm still surprised and delighted.

Just got back from watching "Joker".

Holy fuck. This is the best movie I've seen in a long time. Very much a movie where you have no idea where it's heading (in a good way). Quite a few outright WOAHHHHHH!!!! surprises. Never a dull moment. Outstanding performances by Joaquin Phoenix and Robert de Niro.

I don't want to say too much, as this is not a movie to spoil. It's just one of those movies that leaves you heavily thinking about everything that went on. So many moments. Outstanding movie. It gave me MAJOR "Taxi Driver" vibes. But Taxi Driver turned up to 11. This is a MUST WATCH movie. Even if your not a Batman fan. My wife who isn't a Batman fan at all loved it. So it wasn't just me.

10/10

[edit]
    One thing I'd note, is that the movie did not feel like a DC movie AT ALL. Feels like something far more disconnected to Batman. Sure the movie is supposed to exist within the Batman universe, but I just can't see Joaquin's version as a super villain. Be interesting to see other people's opinions of this.
    Last edited by icemann; 5th Oct 2019 at 11:14.

I just watched this "documentary" by a guy who had his non-gamer wife try some games just to see how she would approach them.

From that video it definitely appears as if several things in gaming aren't as obvious as gamers and developers like to think they are.

SShock2.com

Way to bring the mood down...

I've been watching a lot of BBC Newsnight lately. Like every night. Because every day there's a new disaster, leaning this way or that way, and the outcome will affect me greatly. Yeah, I know, this is a topic for another thread, but I've been so busy with that and pretty much every news-on-the-hour I've not really had much time to watch much else. Except some Taskmaster, Comedians doing Lectures, and planning to start watching the new season of Disenchantment which is apparently out already but that I've missed due to the above. There's just too much news going on right now, in a bad way.
    Last edited by Gray; 5th Oct 2019 at 08:42.

SShock2.com

Well, I finally got around to watching season 2 of Disenchantment (the Matt Groening thingy on Netflix), and, naturally, just to piss me off, just when I'm starting to get into all the various multiple storylines and offshoots, it ends on a cliffhanger. Again. Just like in season 1. I'm guessing season 3 won't be out for another year or so, which is why I'm annoyed now. Don't get me wrong, it's a great show, I absolutely love it, it's just the waiting for resolution of vital plot elements that bug me. Most other shows have the good sense to end a season with resolving the major plot points of that particular season, or at least on some kind of high note, hinting at what may be coming up next, but Disenchantment actively teases you in a way that bad 80s drama used to do, I thought we were all done with that by now.

Yeah, I'm a completist nerd, possibly with a mild case of OCD. I want things to be resolved, dammit! Or at the very least, explained. I'm normally quite patient, but when I've watched 10 episodes in a row and it abruptly ends, I find my patience is a bit stretched. By the time season 3 is out, I'll have forgotten what the important bits were, and have to rewatch season 2 again. Not that that's a bad thing, I suppose, I do enjoy watching it. So why am I whining..? Um, because I'm a whiny annoying fanboy who demands everything now NOW NOW! Sometimes I'm less patient than I want to be.
    Boing. Peng. Boom-Tschak. Peng.

System Shock 2 Walkthrough

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Ad Astra - 2/5

I struggled to stay awake during this woke space movie about emotionally distant astronauts caused by "toxic masculinity". Boring as sin; plot and characters are all unengaging. Cinematography, editing and music were all top notch, as was Brad Pitt's performance. If you want to watch a decent 2019 Pitt film then just see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Skip this one at the theatres for sure.(More like Ad ASStra!)

Highlights:-
    • Pitt fighting a baboon who had tore an astronaut's face off.
    • Joseph Seed, the villain from Far Cry 5 shows up for 5 minutes, complete with the man bun he had in the game.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just came back from seeing Joker. Y'know, I pretty much rolled my eyes when I heard they were making this. The Joker origin story has been done and I figured it was DC trying to get back to the gritty realism of Nolan's movies, but I gotta say I loved it. It's the best Joker origin story I've ever seen, the most captivating portrayal of the character, and Phoenix is amazing in it. If I had to be critical I'd say it drags a bit in the middle, but overall, yeah, it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    From that video it definitely appears as if several things in gaming aren't as obvious as gamers and developers like to think they are.
    Yeah that's a good vid! It was particularly illuminating to hear how underwhelming games can be to non-gamers, especially the example with the DOOM explosive barrel. Us who are fluent in the language of games often take such limitations for granted, while raving about the things you can do, that to outsiders it might paint a picture of games being much more open-ended than they really are.

Glad to hear it wasn't just me on Joker. I never felt like there was a boring moment in it. I was busting to run to the toilet at one point, and was looking for a dull moment where nothing of importance was happening to run off for a few minutes, and then he sits down next to his foster mother in the hospital. Here we go, here's my moment. And just as I go to get up, he grabs the pillow and I was like what the fuck. Never a dull moment to me. I had to wait till he was dancing around his apartment before I was able to duck out.

I'm 2 episodes into the TV show "Barry" and wow. Bill Hader is fantastic in this. Show gives me major Breaking Bad vibes. Show is about a Hitman (Hader) attempting to give up the life to take up acting. Show so far definitely has it's funny moments, but then there is a lot of seriousness as well + there is a high amount of violence in it. Highly recommend it. I was hooked after the first episode, in the exact same way that Breaking Bad did.

Henry Winkler is another standout, though the acting across the board is great. Another great show that for whatever odd reason, never has been shown over here in Australia. So much good TV not making it across nowadays.

Moderator and Priest
    And speaking of Breaking Bad, El Camino was a fantastic epilogue to the series. At first, I was rather disappointed it wasn't a new season, considering that Vince Gilligan and co. are still firing on all cylinders even after all these years, but really, 2 hours is all they needed to tell this story. Any more probably would've felt too strained.

All that's left is finding out what fate awaits Jimmy McGill, and that'll about do it for the whole BB world.

Page 192 of 205 FirstFirst ... 92142147152157162167172177182187188189190191192193194195196197202 ... LastLast