TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

And finished the first season of Barry, and its just excellent stuff. Its a bit more comedic than Breaking Bad, but I'd still say that it has its similarities.

Just came back from Joker: didn't see any incel bs in there like some reviews portrayed... but a movie that does tap into a certain zeitgeist so unashamedly I can see why some "elites" could be uncomfortable... And not without reason. Outstanding/chilling Joaquin Phoenix. Excellent movie.

Level 10,000 achieved

ok, I'm now all caught up and this is how it is

Best Netflix Original Movies of 2019 (so far)

1. Always Be My Maybe
    Hilarious and heartwarming, even if it the jokes do dry up in the final act and it pretty much becomes a straight drama. Also, that mid-movie cameo puts all other movie-cameos to shame.

2. El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie
    Really well put-together, with some great performances. Felt very episodic, like 3 or 4 episodes of the show mashed into a movie, which is kinda appropriate. Somehow it never really engrossed me 100%, but I also feel like I wanna watch it again.

3. Between Two Ferns: The Movie
    A bit uneven, but I enjoyed it enough to watch it twice. Honestly, the end credits are the most hilarious part.

4. Walk. Ride. Rodeo.
    A real-life story about a competitive rodeo rider who, after a paralyzing accident, is determined to not only walk, but get back in the saddle again. It's starts out very sacharine, but manages to bring the feels when shit hits the fan. Overall the structure is kinda your classic underdog sports movie, but I found it very captivating.

5. Fyre: The Greatest Party that Never Happened
    This was pretty crazy, huh?

Also pretty good:
    Triple Frontier
    In The Tall Grass
    In The Shadow Of The Moon

Meh:
    Velvet Buzzsaw
    Wine Country
    Polar
    The Highwaymen
    See You Yesterday
    The Wandering Earth
    Shaft

Upcoming originals I'm hyped about:
    Dolemite Is My Name
    The Irishman

SShock2.com

Explained: Music

A few months ago, I started watching a Netflix show called Explained. It's a documentary series, where for every episode they delve into a particular subject, which may or may not be interesting to you in particular, but it's largely worth watching anyway. Some episodes in the past have been brilliant, others have been a bit "meh". I just watched the episode Music, and as a proper music nerd, I would strongly suggest that everybody watches it. Sure, some things I knew about, and consider very basic, but other things were very interesting to hear about. As I was watching it, started to compose a song in my head, using vocal samples of the various experts talking throughout the show, sort of accidentally proving what they were saying. One day I might turn that into an actual song, but probably not. Anyway, my point is this: watch it if you can. Also, probably watch the rest of the series as well, it's usually quite good.
    Boing. Peng. Boom-Tschak. Peng.

System Shock 2 Walkthrough

SShock2.com

I was going through my TV hard drive, and found a show from a couple of years back. It's called In Solitary: The Anti-Social Experiment, from UK Channel 5. The premise was that a handful of people would relinquish all their electronic devices, and live isolated in a small room of their own with a bed, a table and not much else, to see how they'd cope with being isolated from all social contact for five days. At any point, they could press a big red button and be let out, so it was not a prison, purely voluntary. They were allowed three items to help pass the time. They'd have access to food and water and everything needed to keep them alive, but no timekeeping devices or anything allowing them to in any way be able to have any connection to the outside world. They were not allowed to keep their own clothes, jewellery, phones, watches, tablets, and were just issued some plain, standard clothes.

Before going in, they were all quite cocky, thinking they'd do quite well, and last the full five days, no problem. But what happens when you're all alone, with only your own head for company?

The first one cracked after 3.5 hours. She had never really been alone in her entire life, and left after about 5 hours. Most of the others lasted a few days. The host himself also took part, and left after 23 hours, but he's a TV presenter and used to always have someone watching and paying attention to him.

Now, I may be quite naive in thinking I could do better than that. Maybe I'm just a smug arrogant asshole, but I'm pretty sure I could do a month with not much problem whatsoever. Why? Because I lived alone for 12 years, speaking at best 10 words a week to some random supermarket clerk. Granted, that was a few years ago, but it's not an experience you'd quickly forget. I'm not constantly on social media. Pretty much all of my life already happens in my own head. Why would it be any different if I was locked away for five days in a room? Sure, I couldn't go online, watch TV or play video games, but I've done twice that in my parents' summer cottage in the middle of nowhere, where there's fuck-all to do. The only company you have is your own head. I always hear songs in my head, that'd probably take up two days. At day 12 I might actually try singing them, which might be a sign I was starting to lose it. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'd crack as well at some point, but five days seems seems like nothing to me. In fact, thinking about it, I'd quite welcome the peace and quiet. You were allowed to bring three items with you, to help you pass the time. The clever ones brought something to help them pass the time, like art materials, pen and pad, a deck of cards, a dumbell, or whatever they felt they could use. Just nothing electric. The slightly less clever ones brought pointless crap like hand cream, a photo of a loved one or a box of tea bags. They didn't last.

What would I bring? If allowed, 1) pen and pad, to write stuff, maybe thoughts, or try to work on a song, maybe just to write a journal of my descent into madness, or possibly to write a short fictional story to keep myself entertained. It would have to be a pretty big thick pad, I wouldn't want to run out of paper. I'd probably have a lot more thoughts I wanted to get down than there was space for. 2) LEGO, preferably a fairly large set, like, say, I dunno, the Death Star? I grew up on LEGO, you can spend an endless amount of time building something, picking it apart and building something else. Not done it for about 35 years, though, but I'm sure I'd get back into it fairly quickly. Much more versatile than a jigsaw puzzle. Why the Death Star? Just because I watched The Big Bang Theory and one joke was that it took ages to build, so why not? Could be anything else, just a mid-to-large set. 3) a 10kg dumbell, just for exercise. With only those three, I'm quite confident I could do much better than the people on the show. But then again, I'm in my late 40s, they were all in their 20s-30s, some with less than stable personalities. I've spent ages alone, I know what that's like, I know what I'm like, I'm sure I could cope better. I'd really like to try it, to see if I'm right, or if not just to prove me wrong, perhaps I'd crack on day 3.

Could you last 5 days in isolation? What 3 items would you bring?

[Edit]

Just to prove I'm not making this up, it was hosted by George Lamb. No link to the actual show, but it's mentioned in his bio, Oh yeah, there was also a celebrity version, listed there. I almost forgot that I saw that one too. I can't remember the exact details, but I think comedian Shazia Mirza did rather well, and strongman Eddie Hall slightly less so.

[Edit again]

Found a link to a short clip, there are more on youtube, but this one pretty much describes the problem. Couldn't find the whole show yet. Both the girl doing quite well and the guy doing less well were bloggers, always posting stuff online, but their reactions were quite different. The guy eventually did quite well, and claimed he learned a lot about himself. Thinking about it now, if I was in there, with cameras on me, I might feel less alone than usual. I often talk to myself, so why not talk to the cameras, be it moving or static, not knowing if anybody's even watching. It might even feel like I have more company in there than I'm used to. Then again, it might drive me nuts, I'll never know for sure unless I could try it. I'd really like to try it.
    Last edited by Gray; 20th Oct 2019 at 09:43.

Three items and no electronics, eh? Well, that's easy -- collected works of Shakespeare, pen and notebook, and a deck of playing cards to play Solitaire (I know several versions) and to practice card tricks. Forget 5 days, I'd be able to get by for several weeks. I'd practice my kanji, write poetry... it would be like a vacation. A crappy vacation, but a vacation nonetheless. Not going to lie, though, I'd miss human contact, not to mention the internet and my books and all the other entertainment I've surrounded myself with to whittle away the time.

SShock2.com

Curiously, nobody brought a book. Maybe it wasn't allowed? Not sure what the exact rules were. Maybe my LEGO would not be allowed, but play-doh was, so why wouldn't it? Bringing a book would seem obvious, a big thick one, except I'm barely literate these days so I wouldn't do that myself. Shakespeare would probably be a good idea, but if I'd bring a book, I'd probably bring something much duller, like the Oxford English Dictionary, I could use a bit of reading up on words. It's about 4.5 inches thick and could last rather a long time. You mentioned kanji, there was a really good kanji dictionary at the library at the university I went to, I often used it when I was studying Japanese. That could actually be quite fun to have with me, as long as I had some writing materials.

[Edit]

In fact, this is such an interesting subject to me, maybe I should make a separate thread, and not bog down this thread with plenty of thoughts about just one show.

I've always said, as one of my most important pieces of advice to a young person, that you should live on your own for at least a year, with nothing but your own thoughts, to figure out who you really are. This show sort of highlights that and compresses it into a more intense experience.
    Last edited by Gray; 20th Oct 2019 at 09:53.

5 days? That's a challenge?

SShock2.com

Well that's the thing. To me it seems like nothing, I've been doing that for years, involuntarily, albeit somewhat less strictly. That's why I naively believe I could easily do a month or two. Maybe I've not yet fully grasped the problem, it seems so easy to me. But for these people, being much younger and caught up in social media with busy hectic lives, their experience is quite different. Some of them did appear to have some sort of breakthrough, and decided to change the way they live their lives, but we don't know what happened after, perhaps they just went back to their normal lives, only slightly the wiser.

[Edit]

This clip features the woman who cracked after only a few hours. Now, it would be quite easy for me to dismiss her as stupid, or shallow, or self-centered, or unprepared, but I clearly know nothing about her, so I shouldn't say any of those things, it wouldn't be fair to her. She did say in the opening interview that she was so used to always having people around her, doing things for her, her husband would iron her clothes and make her packed lunches. I don't think she's any of the things I just listed, except for unprepared. It was a big shock to her system to be alone with only herself for the first time.

Why is it so difficult for these people? I don't think of myself as a particularly hard man, but it seems quite clear to me they've all lived very soft, sheltered lives and never had to confront solitude or their own minds. Or maybe I'm completely missing the point, and I'd crack much quicker than they do. I just doubt it.
    Last edited by Gray; 20th Oct 2019 at 11:50.

Solitary confinement prison, basically.

...Was there a reward for completing the challenge? I wouldn't like being cooped up without much to do, but I wouldn't crack if there was something in it for me. 3 items is a bit naff depending on how anal they're being. Is a painting kit one item? Or would I be stuck with one brush, one color, and a pad? Maybe a pad, a pencil, and a sharpener. I could paper-prototype for 5 days.

Ironically I think not being able to go for a walk would be the worst part for me.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    Why is it so difficult for these people?
    Keep in mind that this is basically reality TV, right? So presenting people who do have issues is always going to prioritized. They probably screen out introverts from the get-go.

SShock2.com

Fair point. They had hundreds of applicants, and must have picked the ones that would make the most interesting TV show. But this was not like Big Brother, or any other reality show crap. These were not random idiots looking to become famous. There was no winner, no reward, no competition, no prize. In the end, three people lasted the full 5 days. It was just a social experiment, on camera, sold as a TV show. I'd absolutely hate to be on Big Brother where you're constantly manipulated to create "drama" for the viewing audience. This was nothing like that. Just a handful of people, alone, isolated in a room each, with no outside contact.

As far as the items, I'm unclear what the rules were. One participant got "arts materials", meaning several coloured pens/crayons/paper (a big lengthy roll), so that counts as one. She thereby got two other items, a dumbell and... um, something else, I forget. One got plasticene, which while clearly being several different coloured blobs still counted as one item. One got a box of tea bags, they didn't say "you can only have three tea bags". Where they would stand on my LEGO idea, I don't know, maybe one set would count as one item, regardless of how many individual pieces were in it. Maybe a box set of A Song of Ice and Fire would count as one item, not seven pretty big thick books. That alone could keep you busy for months, if you, unlike me, are able to read lengthy text. I own them, I just haven't read them yet, I'm too thick just now.

And yes, they did compare it to prison, except much nicer and cleaner, and mentioned something about how solitary confinement is no longer used in UK prisons, it's considered too inhumane and cruel.

[Edit]

Added to which, each room had a whiteboard and a pen, so they could sketch on it, or write something, or draw a picture, or make up their own exercise schedule. They had at least this one tool to be somewhat innovative with, but not all used it.
    Last edited by Gray; 20th Oct 2019 at 13:38.

No prize? I don't think I'd volunteer in the first place.

SShock2.com

I definitely would, I'd love to see how well/poorly I'd do.

This clip features the woman who cracked after only a few hours.
    She seems to have some issues. Anyway, the first comment on that video says:

What 3 items would you bring in with you? There were certain rules around what you could/couldn't bring. Taking in books, electronics or instruments would make it way too easy, so you couldn't bring anything in that would take you out of the environment so to speak. Things like art supplies or tubs of plasticine would count as one item.
    In that case, I'd replace Shakespeare with a big fat deck of flashcards and still be golden.

Added to which, each room had a whiteboard and a pen, so they could sketch on it, or write something, or draw a picture, or make up their own exercise schedule. They had at least this one tool to be somewhat innovative with, but not all used it.
    The marker would probably run out within a day, though. How long do those last anyway? I swear, at the uni we got a big batch of them at the beginning of the semester and within a month and a half it was a challenge to find one that still wrote half-way legibly.

With a big ol' kit of art supplies I wouldn't have a problem, in fact it sounds kind of nice, but I don't know who'd watch my kids while my wife was at work, lol. I kind of can't afford to disappear for a week, which is exactly why it sounds nice.

I definitely would, I'd love to see how well/poorly I'd do.
    I vaguely understand the urge to test oneself - heck I recently completed all the achievements in Into the Breach - but for me it ends at the point where I'm personally inconvenienced, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    The marker would probably run out within a day, though. How long do those last anyway? I swear, at the uni we got a big batch of them at the beginning of the semester and within a month and a half it was a challenge to find one that still wrote half-way legibly.
    I don't think you'd run out of ink in just five days unless you really used it constantly.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    I kind of can't afford to disappear for a week, which is exactly why it sounds nice.
    Same.

If you had paper and pens then you could start a novel. But I couldn't get the time, which is why I don't apply for Bear Grylls Island. I'd nail that.

Are the lights always on? If so, that adds a whole bunch of other things to factor in, on top of the forced solitude.

If it was only about the forced solitude, I would have no problem. This, however, seems to be about more than that, like for example the always-on(?) artificial light, affecting your internal clock, so even if you could sleep with the lights on, you might not feel tired even though you are, or feel tired all the time even after sleeping. Same thing with feeling hungry. With nothing to help you keep track of time, you wouldn't know how much time there is left, which could otherwise help motivate you. Sleep deprivation affects both your mental and physical state. You also don't have even the option to go out. The rooms they stayed in being as plain as they are probably doesn't help either.

I do have the option to go out whenever I want, I have books, music, games (etc), and being generally creative to keep me company, and can also easily keep track of time just by taking a peek out the window (if the clocks I keep would stop functioning). I also have full control over my lights, so I don't have to sleep with them on. If all this was taken away, then I don't know how long I would last. Five days? Probably (with the chance to think it through and prepare). A month like I can otherwise? Maybe not.

I would bring writing materials (paper can also be used for folding stuff, like origami models) and something to keep my hands busy ("idle hands are the devil's best friend"); legos sound like a great idea or, if not allowed, a deck of cards (which could also be used for building things). It would also be a chance to get started on some upper body exercises (which could also help with sleeping). I wouldn't need any items for that, so I could spend that slot on something else. Had books been allowed I knew pretty much what I would bring, but since they aren't, it doesn't matter which. If the lights are actually always on, I could bring a blindfold for sleeping (and possibly earplugs (all three counted as one item)).

All I'd need is my PSP and I'd be good for hours.

In this particular experiment, electric devices were not allowed, though.

SShock2.com

I think the lights were always on, I watched the whole thing and they didn't really specify, or I missed it. Part of the experiment was that you were never sure what the time was, to see how you'd cope. In the celebrity sequel, they started messing with the people inside, switching the lights off and on unexpectedly, and giving them challenges, so it morphed more into some run-of-the-mill reality show, and was therefore less interesting, I just kept watching because I like Shazia Mirza, she's funny.

Oh I would kick that challenge's ass depending on what they allow. If I could have a piano (or guitar) then I could practice and compose a tune the whole stretch by itself. I could also probably do a lot of the stretch practicing chess, but I'd probably need a book for that. I'm not going to be learning anything with just the board. The third thing I'd do is write on a novel.

Back on topic, I'll cross post what I wrote after watching El Camino.

I thought it was grand as a glorified episode to the show, an important epilogue at the same consistently high grade. It answered the most outstanding open question left by the show, it gave us shades of color to characters we've gotten to know, and Gilligan still knows how to craft the tightest strung drama that doesn't trip into bathos.

I wouldn't say it stands by itself as classic movie (although it's a fun story even by itself); but it wasn't intended to stand apart from the show. It's a great epilogue and compliment to a classic TV show, in the same company as the MASH movie, and doing it better than Serenity and the Deadwood movie.
    You know what it made me think of more than anything is how comfortable a great TV show is. It felt good to watch this movie in the same way it felt great when I got to watch successive episodes as they came out. That's the respect in which it was like "another episode", which in this case is a good thing.

I'd almost forgotten that feeling recently since it's been a while since we've had a show of that caliber, and I'm still down about several shows that dropped the ball so sensationally I would actually dread a new episode coming out, cf. Game of Thrones since Season 5 & Walking Dead since Season whatever.

Chakat sex pillow
    El Camino had the hallmarks of some of the best episodes of the show, along with enough nostalgia to feel warm and comforting like it hasn't actually been six years. Apart from tension you could cut with a knife, the acting chops on display helped: Aaron Paul carrying the entire thing by himself, and Robert Forster's (RIP) sharp, dry-witted curmudgeon was a beautiful final performance. Also, Skinny Pete without his beanie! D'aww! It's not on par with, say, Ozymandias or some of the show's other bests, but it's a good wrap-up even if I would have preferred the original ending of Jesse screaming into the night in his car; we didn't really need to know what happened next as that ending was the one that rang truest for him. But yeah, this isn't a bad follow-up.

Everything that featured Fat Damon sucked the oxygen out of the room, though. We didn't really need that much of him.

Also, if you're afraid of shows dropping the ball dema, go with shows that haven't: Fleabag S1 and S2 with its mix of sex and self-loathing, fourth wall breaking narration, and sharp wit was fantastic until it turned out that in the end it was a character study all along, which made it great. Killing Eve by the same writer(/actor/director) had a brilliant first season and a nice enough second. It's not Breaking Bad, but it doesn't have to be.

Now for something different ...

Classic Tetris World Championship concluded - and it was insanely good ride from start to finish. The level of competition was insane this year. Major jump from previous year. Also, the original creator of Tetris shows up .

Thought i mention as after a while the twitch streams will be removed and many of the things will NEVER trickle (at a rate of 30-60 min pieces per week) to the Youtube channel and will be forever lost - so, if one is interested then this is the time ...

https://www.twitch.tv/classictetris/videos - main stream (Most of it is mistitled, ex: the 5:19:48 one is actually the begnning of qualifying - main stage rentals ... usually nothing or next to nothing of that will ever go up on Youtube).

https://www.twitch.tv/classictetris2/ - side stream

https://www.twitch.tv/nubbinsgoody/videos - "walkabout" behind the scenes by Heather/Jonas.

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    In this particular experiment, electric devices were not allowed, though.
    Easy done. I'd bring along a gamebook. Sit me down with a Lone Wolf gamebook, and that'd do me fine.

...Nor books...

Page 193 of 205 FirstFirst ... 93143148153158163168173178183188189190191192193194195196197198203 ... LastLast