TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 196 of 196 FirstFirst ... 96146151156161166171176181186191192193194195196
Results 4,876 to 4,889 of 4889

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Currently watching through season 10 of the Walking Dead. Most shows by the time they hit their 10th season had got quite stale (eg X-Files, The Simpsons etc etc), but I still find the show quite interesting and entertaining.

I guess it depends on where you wanted the show to go. I remember around season 4 really wanting it to be about survivors setting up settlements and trying to survive. So I got what I wanted. Cuurently 3 episodes in, and looking forward to seeing where it all goes.

Hey did anyone like the episode of Black Mirror with Miley Cyrus? It's the only epp of this season I've had the chance to watch so far. I don't know if she's batshit crazy in real life the way the tabloids tell it, but she can act and sing for sure.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Don't ever forget Primer though. Imagine it with a big budget, Pitt, Norton, Deniro, Theron. People would go in thinking one thing and come out thinking nothing at all. Also, Cronenberg directs. Oh man.
    I thought a big part of what made Primer so believable and real was the low budget and the use of amateurs.

I watched Polish movie Ida, directed by Paweł Pawlikowski, about a novice in a catholic monastery preparing to become a nun. Liked it, great photo. My type of movie. Also got invited, by my brother, to the annual Stockholm film festival and watched Jojo Rabbit, well made in some areas, but, as the comedy it was supposed to be, it just didn't work for me. Part of the audience thought it was hilarious, though. The other movie I watched was Canción sin nombre (Song Without a Name), beautifully filmed, intriguing, slow. Won a price for best film, which I fully agree with.

Just watched "Doctor Sleep". The first 90% of this movie is absolutely brilliant. There are ties to the original film (The Shining), but if you'd not watched that, then no big deal at all. Just little things you'd not get, which don't really matter. That first 90% has shades of a fair bit of supernatural type shows and films (eg the movie "The Craft", the show "Charmed", Millennium etc). 10/10 stuff. That chunk of the movie is outstanding.

But then you get to the final 10%, and it is just so unnecessary, and it flips things, in that none of it will make any sense AT ALL unless you've seen the earlier film. It's REALLY hard, having just walked out of the cinema an hour ago, to not focus my mind on just that part, as that is what your left with. That whole bit could have been cut out entirely, replaced with a quick 10 minute battle in which Danny gets killed and the remaining baddie, and still have the ending nearly all of it what you see at that final bit. It almost spoils an otherwise excellent movie.

I would still recommend it, but go in, knowing that if you've not seen the Shining then the last 10% of it will not make any sense at all to you.

8/10 (10/10 for the first 90%).

Still Subjective
    Why would you see a sequel without seeing the original anyway?

Well it's not called "The Shining 2". You could watch Aliens or Terminator 2, without having seen the original and be perfectly fine.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, and you would have missed essential context both sequels build on. They're not really meant to be seen without knowing what happens in the originals, and I'm saying this as someone who back in the day did, in fact, watch both out of turn.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 23rd Nov 2019 at 08:09.

Absolutely. But you could get away with the brief summary given of past events in both films.

In Doctor Sleep it was more that just little things here and there would make no sense, whilst having the main events still making sense if you paid attention. Until the last chunk of the film anyway. As I stated earlier, it's an issue since for the vast majority of it you don't really need to have watched the first one.

It would be like if in Aliens, it the final act they'd gone back to the original human ship (if that hadn't been blown up), though sure the whole part about the alien ship in the first 1/4 of it wouldn't have made sense. Though I too watched Aliens before Alien, and still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just got back from watching "Last Christmas". A very boring romantic "comedy" that barely managed to get a laugh out of me. Even my wife hated it, and she loves chick-flicks generally. Only good bit was the twist at the end.

3/10

icemann, if you want to watch a fun light-hearted movie that both you and your wife might like, I recommend Yesterday. It helps if you like The Beatles' music.

The basic premise is that due to a global blackout, everyone has forgotten about The Beatles and their music (they don't exist in the post-blackout world) except a fledgling singer-songwriter, who of course passes their songs off as his own (which IMO isn't even unethical in that particular situation) but isn't prepared for the amount of fame that comes with supposedly writing many of the world's greatest songs.

Funny you say that, as Last Christmas was so filled with George Michael music that you'll never want to listen to a song of his again.

Haha, yeah that's part of why that movie doesn't really interest me, because I never really cared for George Michael's music except for the odd song here or there, whereas I think the Beatles have made many awesome, timeless classics. I don't think anyone will hate the Beatles after watching Yesterday, not unless they hated them to begin with.

Definitely. I love many of their songs.

Page 196 of 196 FirstFirst ... 96146151156161166171176181186191192193194195196