TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 196 of 203 FirstFirst ... 96146151156161166171176181186191192193194195196197198199200201 ... LastLast
Results 4,876 to 4,900 of 5057

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Currently watching through season 10 of the Walking Dead. Most shows by the time they hit their 10th season had got quite stale (eg X-Files, The Simpsons etc etc), but I still find the show quite interesting and entertaining.

I guess it depends on where you wanted the show to go. I remember around season 4 really wanting it to be about survivors setting up settlements and trying to survive. So I got what I wanted. Cuurently 3 episodes in, and looking forward to seeing where it all goes.

Hey did anyone like the episode of Black Mirror with Miley Cyrus? It's the only epp of this season I've had the chance to watch so far. I don't know if she's batshit crazy in real life the way the tabloids tell it, but she can act and sing for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Don't ever forget Primer though. Imagine it with a big budget, Pitt, Norton, Deniro, Theron. People would go in thinking one thing and come out thinking nothing at all. Also, Cronenberg directs. Oh man.
    I thought a big part of what made Primer so believable and real was the low budget and the use of amateurs.

I watched Polish movie Ida, directed by Paweł Pawlikowski, about a novice in a catholic monastery preparing to become a nun. Liked it, great photo. My type of movie. Also got invited, by my brother, to the annual Stockholm film festival and watched Jojo Rabbit, well made in some areas, but, as the comedy it was supposed to be, it just didn't work for me. Part of the audience thought it was hilarious, though. The other movie I watched was Canción sin nombre (Song Without a Name), beautifully filmed, intriguing, slow. Won a price for best film, which I fully agree with.

Just watched "Doctor Sleep". The first 90% of this movie is absolutely brilliant. There are ties to the original film (The Shining), but if you'd not watched that, then no big deal at all. Just little things you'd not get, which don't really matter. That first 90% has shades of a fair bit of supernatural type shows and films (eg the movie "The Craft", the show "Charmed", Millennium etc). 10/10 stuff. That chunk of the movie is outstanding.

But then you get to the final 10%, and it is just so unnecessary, and it flips things, in that none of it will make any sense AT ALL unless you've seen the earlier film. It's REALLY hard, having just walked out of the cinema an hour ago, to not focus my mind on just that part, as that is what your left with. That whole bit could have been cut out entirely, replaced with a quick 10 minute battle in which Danny gets killed and the remaining baddie, and still have the ending nearly all of it what you see at that final bit. It almost spoils an otherwise excellent movie.

I would still recommend it, but go in, knowing that if you've not seen the Shining then the last 10% of it will not make any sense at all to you.

8/10 (10/10 for the first 90%).

Still Subjective
    Why would you see a sequel without seeing the original anyway?

Well it's not called "The Shining 2". You could watch Aliens or Terminator 2, without having seen the original and be perfectly fine.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, and you would have missed essential context both sequels build on. They're not really meant to be seen without knowing what happens in the originals, and I'm saying this as someone who back in the day did, in fact, watch both out of turn.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 23rd Nov 2019 at 07:09.

Absolutely. But you could get away with the brief summary given of past events in both films.

In Doctor Sleep it was more that just little things here and there would make no sense, whilst having the main events still making sense if you paid attention. Until the last chunk of the film anyway. As I stated earlier, it's an issue since for the vast majority of it you don't really need to have watched the first one.

It would be like if in Aliens, it the final act they'd gone back to the original human ship (if that hadn't been blown up), though sure the whole part about the alien ship in the first 1/4 of it wouldn't have made sense. Though I too watched Aliens before Alien, and still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just got back from watching "Last Christmas". A very boring romantic "comedy" that barely managed to get a laugh out of me. Even my wife hated it, and she loves chick-flicks generally. Only good bit was the twist at the end.

3/10

icemann, if you want to watch a fun light-hearted movie that both you and your wife might like, I recommend Yesterday. It helps if you like The Beatles' music.

The basic premise is that due to a global blackout, everyone has forgotten about The Beatles and their music (they don't exist in the post-blackout world) except a fledgling singer-songwriter, who of course passes their songs off as his own (which IMO isn't even unethical in that particular situation) but isn't prepared for the amount of fame that comes with supposedly writing many of the world's greatest songs.

Funny you say that, as Last Christmas was so filled with George Michael music that you'll never want to listen to a song of his again.

Haha, yeah that's part of why that movie doesn't really interest me, because I never really cared for George Michael's music except for the odd song here or there, whereas I think the Beatles have made many awesome, timeless classics. I don't think anyone will hate the Beatles after watching Yesterday, not unless they hated them to begin with.

Definitely. I love many of their songs.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Marriage Story, was, like, insanely captivating. Well-written and with fantastic performances by Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson.

Also just watched ep 1 of The Witcher. It sets up the world nicely, has a good plot hook and a kickass swordfight!

Moderator and Priest
    Witcher's out? Rad!

LittleFlower
    I saw S01E01 tonight. I was a bit afraid they'd fuck it up. But they didn't. It was OK.
    No spoilers below, but maybe people should watch S01E01 before reading further ....

[warned you]
    During the first 30 minutes the voice of Geralt irritated the fuck out of me. Later on it wasn't so bad. Maybe the actor did a little less exaggeration, or maybe I got used to his voice. Or maybe Geralt talked less.

I thought there was a little bit too much of battling and ransacking, especially for a first episode. The (first) ASOIAF-books were known to not have the battles themselves described in detail at all. The outcome of a battle was only talked about in the books afterwards. Usually between two people who were not even in that battle. I liked that. I think one of the reasons why the last 2 seasons of GoT were so bad was because the directors wanted to show every battle, every fight, all the action, in great detail. Boring as fuck. And showing how a city is ransacked is even more boring. Who wants to watch innocent citizens being slaughtered ? I don't. I hope we won't get any more big battles in the TW-tv-series.

The sword-fight was actually pretty good. It was not unlike the look & feel of sword-fighting in the games. Well done. I hope there will be not too much of it. But we now know they can show it in a believable way, if they need to show it. Good.

I didn't catch up on the fact that the setting is eastern Europe. Or eastern-europe-like. Blaviken and the big city felt a bit too much like "a generic medieval fantasy town/city". Too bad. Also I probably would have liked it better if the story was about Geralt, a witcher, who traveled from village to village to small town, trying to make a living by defeating smallish monsters. I think the first book is more like that. The political stuff only starts in the following books, iirc. The first half of the first game is also like that. (I think I like TW1 over TW2 and even TW3). Unfortunately the first tv-episode seems to be setting the stage for "great adventures, great battles, saving the world and everybody is a hero". Bah, I like small adventures better. But anyway, we don't know for sure yet. Maybe there is enough room for "small things" to make this a great series.

Geralt used a bit of Aard during one of his fights. If you didn't know what Aard was, you'd probably miss it. He also tried to use Axii, but that failed (just like it often does in the games). These signs were not explained at all. I liked that.

Tomorrow night I'm gonna watch episode 2. Binge-watching is for dummies. One episode a night. Gonna watch the last (double-)episode of Mr. Robot on Monday. Gonna spend Christmas with my parents. I should be done with all 8 episodes of TW before New Year's eve. And to everyone who's gonna watch TW now: enjoy !!
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 21st Dec 2019 at 09:27.

Moderator and Priest
    I've watched 3 episodes. My take thus far?

First two episodes: okay. Not great. Not bad. They felt rushed. Like the writers were pushing through story points, getting all the introductions and world building out of the way to get the good stuff.

Third episode: this is the good stuff, and it's not good just because it touchs on some story points that's been brought up heavily in the games. It was all around great.

I like the Witcher too. It's very faithful to the books and the atmosphere feels like how the books were once described as back in the day in Poland - like a mixture of The Name of the Rose and Disney movies.
    Last edited by Severian_Silk; 21st Dec 2019 at 03:02.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    I didn't catch up on the fact that the setting is eastern Europe. Or eastern-europe-like. Blaviken and the big city felt a bit too much like "a generic medieval fantasy town/city". Too bad. Also I probably would have liked it better if the story was about Geralt, a Witcher, who traveled from village to village to small town, trying to make a living by defeating smallish monsters.
    I'm now 5 episodes in (yeah, I know. I didn't want to binge watch it, but here I am), and for the most part, that's what Geralt's part of the story is. It's weird how it's set up. Yennifer's and Ciri's parts of the story are more serialized, building around the politics and intrigue of the world, while Geralt is off on weekly adventures which I'm almost definite are based off the short stories.

It's weird how the story is structured too. I won't say any more, because it may be kinda of spoilery to some.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    You could watch Aliens or Terminator 2, without having seen the original and be perfectly fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Absolutely. But you could get away with the brief summary given of past events in both films... ...I too watched Aliens before Alien, and still thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Dude. I didn't say you couldn't enjoy them - they are almost self contained stories. But you miss out on masses of backstory that directly affect your interpretation of what's going on unless you are as thick as a plank.

Most of the tension in the beginning of both films is knowing what's coming, kind of, and the anticipation of that. And there are too many other things that you cannot get, properly, if you haven't seen the originals. Stop being dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    I didn't catch up on the fact that the setting is eastern Europe. Or eastern-europe-like. Blaviken and the big city felt a bit too much like "a generic medieval fantasy town/city". Too bad.
    Agreed. And it doesn't help that one faction is called Nilfgard which is very reminiscent of Midgard.

Ep1 was OK.

Star Wars: Age of Skywalker! I just got out of the cinema, and it was good!

With my main PC off for repairs, was left to just using my laptop for the night. Decided to go finally finish watching the rest of the new season of Veronica Mars. Have to say that the first half of the season is better than the later half. The finale in particular was quite predictable and was a downer ending. Though fitting.

Forgot to mention a while ago, about finishing watching of the Walking Dead's latest season. Not much happens in it at all of noteworthiness. 1 main character dies, lots of flash back stuff about the Whisperers and that's about it. You could skip the whole season and you'd not have missed anything of importance.

Space shuttle (large scale model)

When i was 15 yrs old i restored my first car to be like new and then some. I also played with chemistry sets, model building, and launched toy rockets as a child. Basically i like building things with my own hands. With that in mind you can see why i really enjoying watching this clip. I don't remember how many times i heard the squeal from our house, "What the hell are you kids doing now ?" after mom heard a boom.

I finally got around to checking out Fleabag and...

Hmf. I struggled to find anything funny or edgy about it, I don't understand the hype. I see where it wants to be... but all I saw was recycling old tropes under a veneer of modernity, and being pretty bad at it...

The pretense of self-awareness with 4th-wall breaking doesn't help. Like it's "look at how clever I'm being" when, er, no, in fact.

Dunno, not for me I guess... *shrug*

Disappointed.

On the other hand, finished Season 4 of The Expanse and holy shit this series is totally replacing BSG as best scifi TV since B5. Love where they're taking the show and what they did vs the books. Wes Chatham as Amos in particular is amazing.

Page 196 of 203 FirstFirst ... 96146151156161166171176181186191192193194195196197198199200201 ... LastLast