TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 199 of 205 FirstFirst ... 99149154159164169174179184189194195196197198199200201202203204 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,975 of 5110

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Chakat sex pillow
    Okay, Succession: I've been morbidly fascinated with the political manoeuvring and family dynamics of three siblings and associated hangers-on embedded in the their tyrannical dad's corporate hegemony, and it's not a fun show, but it knows how to be funny. Most of the time that's at the expense of a character (all of whom are brilliantly acted) to twist in the knife, but also a lot of the time it's observational comedy foregrounding some very layered and tangled politics.

Season one: 'Words are just... uh, what? Nothing. Complicated airflow.'
    Season two, headline on a news channel in the background while antifa protests outside the office as the family's network endorses a fascist politician: 'Gender fluid migrants may be entering the country twice.'

Watched the returning episode (ep 9) of season 10 of The Walking Dead. If you hated not being able to see anything, in that undead siege episode of Game of Thrones you'd love this one. You often can't see a thing at all. And nothing major happens besides 2 of them getting trapped underneath a collapsed mine, and a very odd sex scene. If you skipped it, you'd not miss much.

Also, I'm 5 episodes into Star Trek Picard and this just doesn't feel like Star Trek. I get that things are different after the movies, and how DS9 went down but still, come on seriously. The Star Trek universe was supposed to have got rid of all racism, bigotry, aggression and so forth. Plus there is a fair bit of swearing in it. Since when was any of that in there. The human race is supposed to have got past it all. And yet nope, it much more like present day earth.

It just makes no sense when you consider how often they mention in TOS and TNG, of how mankind after World War 3 + achieving warp capability and meeting aliens that they evolved past all that. Across all the Star Trek shows (except Voyager) they even have a mirror universe where things went a completely different way to show the contrast. But here we are, and it's all back and no better than the mirror universe.

The show (ST:Picard) is more of a watch once to see where it goes type thing. It's certainly interesting, but at the same time shows a more bleak future, where nothing has changed. For me that's quite disappointing. It's like Red Letter Media have described it. The show was obviously written by one who either has:

A) Only watched the JJ Abram Star Trek movies
    or
    B) All they know about Star Trek is via second hand sources. So Romulans - Check. Borg - Check. Picard - Check.
    Last edited by icemann; 28th Feb 2020 at 09:18.

SShock2.com

I finally got around to start on the new season of The Expanse. Only a few episodes in, but as soon as I saw Burn Gorman's face, I knew he had to play the bad guy. Now, this show isn't usually that black and white, it's quite grey and vague, and all characters seem to do what is right from their perspective, but he just shot someone for no apparent reason, so I'm itching to see what's next, what could possibly have motivated this.

For those of you who have not yet seen The Expanse, do. It used to be on Netflix, but it's now on Amazon Prime. You'd be hard pressed to find a better sci-fi series.

Speaking of two of those things, I only just realised that Netflix has a new season out of Altered Carbon, which I quite enjoyed, but I couldn't remember how it ended last time so I've started again from s1e1. I can't comment yet on the new season, I'm just happy it's out there.

And yet again, on the subject of Netflix and sci-fi, I was very happy to see a new season of the animated Final Space. Sure, it's silly, and surely no Futurama, but it has its points and very enjoyable to watch. I'd strongly recommend it, except I'm slightly pissed off because it ended on such a cliff hanger. Please don't do that if we don't know you'll even get a new season, the last one took bloody ages.

Which neatly brings me back to Rick & Morty. Give us the new season already! Netflix, I'm giving you my money for a reason! I've been reduced to watching some 4-odd episodes on some low-grade domestic TV channel because Netflix hasn't made it available yet, and I don't know how many episodes I've missed because this TV channel sucks big hairy donkey balls and it's no longer on their streaming site. It's a continuity nightmare.

:ahem:

(Pull yourself together man, it's just entertainment, it's just... entertainment.... and... relax)

Yeah, so. More sci-fi to the people!

Also, watch more Rick & Morty. And The Expanse.

Burn Gorman wasn't a bad guy in Torchwood from what I can recall. Maybe much later on, I forget. Definitely not in the first season.

SShock2.com

No, you're right, he was part of the team there, but aside from that, he is often cast as a bad guy just because of the way he looks. To most people he might be known for playing an asshole on Game of Thrones for a handful of episodes, but he's been in loads of other stuff. I used to watch Torchwood, and his unusual name and face stuck in my mind, but now when I see him, I sort if expect his character to be, if not evil, at least somewhat shady, because that's how they mostly cast him now.

Typecast.

A Doctor Who curse, as many of the actors from that were typecast thereafter. Not all of them, but a fair few.

LittleFlower
    This week I watched 6 episodes of The Boys.

It's a TV series by Amazon, available on Amazon Prime, released in July 2019. It's not high art. It's not subtle. The series is based on a comic book. It's about superheros, while I'm bored to death by superhero stuff for at least a decade. But I must admit, the show is highly entertaining ! Two episodes to go, I hope they keep it up. Too bad there's only 8 episodes for now. Season 2 is in the making. I'm already looking forward to that.

Edit: I watched the last 2 episodes as well. Did not disappoint. This series is probably the most fun series I watched in the last 6 months. I think most posters here at ttlg will enjoy it as well. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 17th Mar 2020 at 10:04.

This week:

* Episode 12 of season 10 of the Walking Dead - The first 10 minutes of this has a better humans vs walkers battle than anything you got to see in that Game of Thrones castle defense episode in the final season. Due to the metallic shields they use against the undead, it nearly looked like a GoT episode during that part.

* Episode 1 of the new season of Westworld - This felt very Bladerunner-ish. Show is far more cyberpunk now, with the future setting, mega corps, use of hacking, people taking merc jobs for hire (via a mobile app which looked really cool), and a touch of invasion of the body snatchers. So the shows basically become the TV equivalent of the video game "Snatcher" on the Sega CD. Quite interesting first episode and I look forward to seeing how things turn out. The only bullshit bit was regarding Dolores encounter with the security head protecting that vice leader guy. She somehow knew ahead of time, that she'd be busted, where they'd take her, and that she'd need a electric bike to take out one of the security guys. That was bullshit. The rest was fine.

I like Aaron Paul's character. Quite interesting. If this was a video game, then he would be the player character. Just the way he's setup. He does a lot of talking to himself, which you hear over scenes of him doing things. Very Deckard-like (from Bladerunner).

I hate double posting, but anyways.

Just watched "Jay and Silent Bob Reboot". This is easily the worst film I've watched this year, however it wasn't terrible. It just wasn't funny, which is what a Jay and Silent Bob film should always be. The cameos (the movie is filled with them) were good, but it's just a really average movie. Funnily enough, the credits sequence scenes had more laughs than the whole movie put together. Only watch this if your a fan of the earlier films which were FAR superior.

4/10
    Last edited by icemann; 20th Mar 2020 at 22:21.

Wow. I was a fan back in the day, but I don't recall even hearing about this.

I only knew about the movie since Kevin Smith put up a trailer for it last year at some point:

[edit]
    And the following night, I watched "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood". Overall an a good and interesting film, though the parts with Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt were BY FAR the highlights. Speaking of highlights - The last 15 minutes of the film is FANTASTIC and is a complete polar opposite to the rest of it. I rewinded and watched that bit twice. Wow.

8/10
    Last edited by icemann; 21st Mar 2020 at 12:10.

Just watched "Chopping Mall". A mid 80's horror film set in a shopping mall with killer security robots on the loose. Think 3 Johnny 5's running around that have gone evil in a shopping mall and that sums up the film.

As a lover of 80's horror + films and TV in general I recognized quite a few faces in it.

Arthur Roberts - Red Alert (the game), allied general. This is the first non video game thing that I've seen him in.
    Dick Miller - The Terminator (gun shop owner) and countless other films. Always as a side character.
    Gerrit Graham - Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Star Trek Voyager, and countless other movies and TV shows
    Russel Todd - Friday the 13th part 2 (he has a MUCH bigger role in this film)

The film was shot in the same shopping mall as Commando (the Arnie movie). I watched a review of the film a year or so ago from Cinemassacre, and this had been on my todo list to watch since then. Overall an excellent film if you love B-Grade horror. It's cheesy as hell, has a lot of sex and nudity (not complaining), and some of the character deaths are stupid, but I still really enjoyed it. Oh and the final 10 minutes gave me MAJOR Terminator vibes. Pretty good film.

SShock2.com

Remain indoors!

That Mitchell & Webb Look: The Quiz Broadcast

...for obvious reasons.

Tonight, sat down and watched "School of Rock" which I'd never watched all of before. Before had been telling me to watch it for years, but I'd been putting it off for the right time. Well this was it, and yup it's an excellent movie. One you need to switch the serious side of your brain off and then your fine. Thoroughly enjoying from beginning to end.

Still Subjective
    The Mandalorian. Just the first episode. Seems okay so far, visuals are pretty nice.

Still Subjective
    Disney are clever buggers. Only 3 episodes of The Mandalorian are watchable whilst on the 7 day trial.

Well, I say they are clever, but they don't tell you this so it looks like only 3 exist. I'm wondering what else cannot be seen in the trial now. How to know?

Bad marketing Disney. If there is more I'm missing but don't know, how can I really tell the value of your service?

Tonight, watched "Uncut Gems".

Adam Sandler knocks it completely out of the park with this one. He really needs to stop doing comedies, and just do serious films. Why? Because every serious one he does is excellent. The only slight negative is that it's a watch once type movie, as the appeal is in not knowing where things are heading. Absolute chaotic ride.

Once upon a time in Hollywood was a nice trip back in time. It took elements of several real characters and combined them to make a couple of fake ones he could add to real events so he could have a massive redo which set something very wrong very right again. I really enjoyed recognitions of characters except for the Bruce Lee character portrayal. Jesus Tarentino, what the hell? The man struggled against racist Hollywood and made a success, was an honest to Christ embodiment of effectiveness in martial arts who was not a braggart as portrayed but simply worked hard at it and was confident and you use him as a foil for your FAKE tough guy? Hasn't the Lee family suffered enough? Bruce did not deserve that portrayal. I know, I know, Quinton was just making his character a real tough guy but it came off as making Lee out a fake one when he was the real deal.

Otherwise it was a loving look at an era we will not see again. One that you likely never saw and I saw through the eyes of a kid when everything was the best thing ever. It was the ending we never got to the sixties because of an utter asshole. It was the ending we should have gotten. It was a great big FUCK YEAH SONSABITCHES! Eat that.

Still Subjective
    So it was my bad - The Mandalorian is being released slowly in the UK. Welp, looks like Disney got me...

Wife and I are watching Better Call Saul. I think Vince Gilligan has the golden touch. Never thought this show would equal the quality of Breaking Bad, but here we are. And my wife actually likes it even better, as at least (so far) there's far less violence.

Just watched "Ghostworld", which is a coming of age movie about a girl finishing high school and then searching for what she wants in life. If that's even the best way to describe it. I always enjoy these movies about being the odd one out, and not feeling like there are many of "us" out there. Great movie.

Some very un-PC stuff in there though. Like revisionist history, sex with far older men etc etc. Steve Buscemi is great in it. He's great in everything I've seen him in.

My sister has been after me forever to see Outlander. I owe her. She taught me to read before I entered school. Nevertheless I resisted. The wife and I would visit and go antiqueing then take her out to eat. Since my brother in law died of Huntingtons disease we have felt it our duty to visit and keep up her spirits. She knew and offered material in line with my interest in history. Often she has given me books on such. She knows I like authors such as Bernard Cornwell who use real history in storied accounts. As I say, she kept after me. In such she sent the first season of Outlander to us on CD. It wasn't as bad as I thought.

Oh yes it was from a female perspective. It was as much a Machiavellian account of the Jacobite rebellion as one would expect. That isn't as bad thing as one might expect. The last of the defense of king James was an interesting point in history. It was also the end of clans in Scotland. Having ancestors aligned with clan McDonald, I had no dog in this hunt, except as it ended the clans forever. This was better than I expected. I understood it would be once I let go my prejudice.

I have enjoyed it. Yes it was a women's series. It had all the hallmarks of one in that it is about personal relationships. But it is quite interesting in it's recounting of historical events. After viewing it I cannot fault it in it's accuracy. Damned if I don't enjoy this take on it. My sister was right. However the shear amount of sex in this will make it difficult to look her in the eyes when I tell her how much I enjoyed it.

Page 199 of 205 FirstFirst ... 99149154159164169174179184189194195196197198199200201202203204 ... LastLast