TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 204 of 209 FirstFirst ... 104154159164169174179184189194199200201202203204205206207208 ... LastLast
Results 5,076 to 5,100 of 5222

Thread: What have you watched lately?

...Wow. You have WAAAY more inclination to watch something you clearly don't like than I've ever mustered.

LittleFlower
    My take: if you want to see a good movie, you have to watch a lot of them. Maybe 6 out of 10 movies suck, 3 are ok, and if you're lucky, one out of 10 movies you watch is really good. Same thing applies to tv series, books, games, etc. If you approach new stuff with that attitude, you will be disappointed less.

I had already watched 5 (now 6) episodes. I think Devs is below average. But it's not that bad that I can't watch another 3 50min episodes. The fallacy of sunken cost, etc. Maybe my impression of Devs is low, because I just watched Better Call Saul and Westworld. I was positively surprised by both those shows.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yes yes, 90% of everything is crap. Devs is ultimately more plot-driven than character-driven, and half of its problem is that it makes its characters act in weird ways because of that. I wasn't really sold on it, but I don't think it quite sinks to the level of shit either. If nothing else, it'd serve as a half-decent gateway into determinism vs. free will for people who are philosophy-shy.

People look for different things in tv shows, or any media ... even the same person looks for different things at different stages of life. I mean some shows cut across all that and can completely define an entire era, like the Simpsons in those first 4 seasons. A show like Devs, it's conceptual, up there with something like The Prisoner, maybe Max Headroom, Otherworld, maybe Twin Peaks, (X-Files & Westworld maybe shouldn't count since they hit a pop mainstream vibe) ... important as much for being a data-point in playing the concept out as all the quality of life stuff that make a good show.

I was into it. But I wouldn't deny any of the criticisms or the bad vibe you're getting from it. They just didn't distract me from what I liked about the show. Actually they even gelled for me by the end, the natural arrogance of Swanson, the way overstylized aesthetic, even the astounding lack of charisma and character by faceless girl warmed to me. I don't know. It's like different flavors in cooking. Sometimes having a few bitter and sour bits in there gives a dish, and a show, its own flavor that you can appreciate for being what it's meant to be and not trying to be something that it's not. This show was made the way it was meant to be made, ridiculous and floppish bits and all.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Ok, when both mothers are together in the lounge, the "real" one who turns out to be the clone handcuffed to the table, she never once says to the other - hey, what's the deal with the underground life? I never got it as a kid but yeah for sure I remember taking your place so what's up with that? And the real real one never says "hey you messed my life up by switching with me and that's why I'm here and you know it so stfu!" As if that isn't the first thing that would happen.

And even then, the real one never said anything in front of Gabe and the kids. Why keep it mysterious until the end?

But I stopped watching it because I got bored. It was just at the bit were Gabe and Abraham are on the boat. Dunno, it just didn't grab me. I though it was shot really well though and was hella creepy up until the mothers were talking. Just got dull after that.
    Right, because the whole thing is an allegory and it isn't meant to operate using expected logic. There is a very strong message reason for that conversation not going as expected, but if you're gonna make such strong judgements on an allegorical film before you even see that play out, of course it's going to seem illogical.

Still Subjective
    What nonsense.

You don't go into a film with a big sign above the door saying "PSA: THIS IS ALLEGORICAL".

It has to have internal logic or it becomes unwatchable.

Crossed another off the watch at least once in your lifetime list with "No Country for Old Men". Man this movie just fills you with dread. Really good stuff, but just not a positive thing goes on in the whole film. Great acting across the board. Towards the end the odd meter went up a bit, with some strange directing choices like Josh Brolin's character, despite being one of main characters of the film, dying off screen like as if he was only a minor character, and then you don't find out whether Shigur killed the wife or not. Though on the last point, it's the mystery the director was going for I guess.

Next on the list - Goodfellas

Chakat sex pillow
    Chigurh.

The movie was based on the book, and it played those parts faithfully to the book.
    There are places where the movie departed from the book where you could talk about directing choices, like closing the truck door to keep out the wolves was the one I remember.

Then you could debate Cormac McCarthy's decisions on the things you mentioned and other things, but I think they were important parts of what the book was doing, which is playing it very honestly in presenting the harsh reality that makes it no country for old men. Also worth mentioning, in the book it's maybe more clear that the sheriff is really the main character the story revolves around.

Chigurh: there are subtle clues he did.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    What nonsense.

You don't go into a film with a big sign above the door saying "PSA: THIS IS ALLEGORICAL".

It has to have internal logic or it becomes unwatchable.
    Well, that's exactly what I'm trying to say. It DOES have internal logic. You're attempting to impose external logic upon it rather than attempt to discern its rules. If you had allowed it to unfold, its internal logic likely would have become clear to you.

It's pretty much a given that Chigurh killed Moss' wife when he leaves her house and then checks his shoes for her blood. I believe he did that earlier in the film too.

Yeah I got that strong impression, going off his past behavior in similar situations.

I'm happy to be able to say that I'm watching Äkta människor (season 2). It's one of the most ambitious Swedish sci-fi productions yet and actually also pretty damn good (which is rare around here). Great mix of drama and technobabble with lots of parallels to issues in our timeline (not just specific to Sweden). In short, it takes place in today's Sweden, but in an alternative timeline where humanoid robots, so called "hubots", are evolving "beyond their programming", but also about the people around them. If you ever get a chance to watch it, give it a try; you might like it -- even if you're not Swedish.

I also started (properly) watching Rick & Morty on HBO. It's entertaining, but, after having not watched it for a couple of days, I realize I'm not that eager to get back to it. It's not intolerable (unlike some of its fans?) and I can see some potential for things developing, but the concept is getting a little stale now after two seasons of pretty much the same thing. I might finish watching it later, but it might also go the same way as Breaking Bad did.

By the way, might Rick & Morty be whence the trend come, now late, I hope, among Youtubers to burp loudly in every sentence?

Edit:
    actually also pretty damn good
    Except that one of the characters, the supposed programmer of the bunch, just referred to what looked like Lisp as HTML. A small thing, perhaps, as the code was shown only for a few seconds, but these two are very different. A quick fact-check would easily have fixed it, but, in the grand... scheme of things, it's not going to ruin the show for me. We're good at drama, but not so much at sci-fi, so some lenience has to be given when something tolerable shows up.

Edit 2:
    I just realized I must already have watched both seasons years ago, which is weird, because I don't remember season 2 at all, except one scene. Another thing is that the show never gained much traction in Sweden -- and certainly not enough for the planned third season (which is a shame). On the other hand, it was apparently popular in South Korea and even winning awards there, which is nice. It also got a UK remake -- while we Swedes are still such a bunch of uncultured swine sometimes.
    Last edited by qolelis; 19th Jun 2020 at 12:37.

I recently watched "Goodnight Mommy". What a mindfuck that was.

Then to cleanse my head I thought maybe some comical eighties horror so I watched "Brain Dead" and "Brain Damage" back to back. Well... there was some humor in "Brain Damage" in a what did I just see way. Maybe "Cannibal Holocaust" will... oh holy shit.

Level 10,000 achieved

wot i been watchin

Yesterday - The story of a struggling musician who gets hit by a bus and wakes up in a world where The Beatles never existed. Will he use the knowledge of their songs to finally make it as a musician? And will that bring him true fulfillment as an artists? The story setup is great, the pacing is swift and very watchable, but somehow the whole thing never ends up being that interesting. Written by Richard Curtis and directed by Danny Boyle.

The Predator - I pretty much forgot what this one was about the moment I finished watching it. What happened, Shane Black?

Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw - Eh. Y'know I don't think these two are a good fit for a buddy cop movie, they're too similar. Not sure where I'd rank this against the other movies, but it's not up there with FF5-8.

Deadpool 2 - Man this is gooooood! I'd heard it was a let-down from it's predecessor, and yeah it might not have as much heart as that one did, but it does have a lot of clever ideas and great character moments. Btw this one and Hobbs and Shaw are both directed by the same guy, David Leitch.

Accident Man - Scott Adkins plays a hit man who kills people in ways that makes it look like and accident. Because he's Scott Adkins he can't help but also occasionally kill people by doing badass kung fu moves on them. Anyway he's part of this whole weird collective of hitmen that hang out in a pub. It's like the Continental Hotel in John Wick but a low-rent British version. Adkins character starts out very unlikable and more or less stays unlikable throughout the movie. The kung fu's good tho.

Booksmart - Teen comedy about a couple girls who realize they've squandered their highschool years on studying, and decide to go all-out on one big final party. A very funny, likable, and well put-together movie. Out of this batch of movies this is the one I'm most likely to rewatch a few times.

edit: y'know what lets just watch the part where Adkins fights Michael Jai White and Ray Park (yeah Darth Maul is in this)

Man, Michael Jai White looks weird without a goatee. Grow that goatee back man!
    Last edited by henke; 23rd Jun 2020 at 05:03.

I been watching
    myself! in the mirror! when I shave!
    which admittedly cuts down on those razor burns i must say

TIME ZONES IN MY FAVOR
    RENZ COME AT ME LATER
    DOUBLE POST TRIPLEPOST
    FUCK YOU UP THE ASS
    WHILE THE THE US SLEEPS
    IM GONNA FUCK YOU UP THE ASS
    hmm
    no the best but hey it is what it is

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    90% of everything is crap.
    I'd go higher, maybe 95% of everything is crap. But then, that's just me. The things I enjoy, I really enjoy. I thoroughly enjoyed Westworld, much more than I thought I would.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    I'd go higher, maybe 95% of everything is crap.
    90% is not just some random number.
    It's the law.
    Sturgeon's Law.

SShock2.com

Yes, I'm aware of it, as a computer science nerd I pretty much have to be. I just think that it's underestimated. Perhaps because his estimate was 90% crap.

Maybe that should be my new .sig file, "Sturgeon was an optimist".

Chakat sex pillow
    Heh. But y'know, he probably was. I read More Than Human a long time ago and came away with the impression that he did have a positive outlook on where we're headed.

LittleFlower
    So I've watched Westworld season 3.

I watched 2 episodes. I liked the 1st episode. The 2nd episode was less interesting. It felt like a "filler episode". Like the ones in S1/S2 where they showed the Japanese world. So I started watching Better Call Saul. All 5 seasons, back to back. Excellent show, from the first episode to the last. Then I started watching Westworld S03 again. I've now watched 6 out of 8 episodes. And I'm still not impressed. Actually, the show is becoming kinda boring. If nothing spectacular happens in the last 2 episodes, I might call season 3 flat out bad. The cinematography is excellent. Especially the episodes outside the parks. But for the rest, there's nothing positive to say about S03. A little disappointing.

Dark season 3 is out.
    I'm gonna hurry and watch Westworld S03E07 and S03E08 this weekend. And then I'm diving into Dark.

Edit: I've watched the last 2 episodes of Westworld S03. I didn't like them. I've googled a bit about the reception of the season. And it seems I'm not alone. Series is dead, I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 27th Jun 2020 at 19:09.

SShock2.com

I will agree that the writing went downhill in Westworld, starting in s2, but more noticeably in s3. I still found it very compelling and watched the whole thing right to the end, and I'm glad I did. I won't tell you why.

I thought S2 had some excellent episodes. Like the one done from the American Indian's perspective. I was totally rooting for the humans in it though, and got pissed every time they'd go down in 2 seconds in a fire fight. You would think they would have at least a few troops who knew actual good weapons training, but nope.

S3 was interesting, but more like something out of the Ghost in the Shell anime. I liked it more in the actual Westworld park. First few episodes of S3 I liked, as I'd not seen a live action cyberpunk setting done on TV before that wasn't anime.

Page 204 of 209 FirstFirst ... 104154159164169174179184189194199200201202203204205206207208 ... LastLast