TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 206 of 209 FirstFirst ... 106156161166171176181186191196201202203204205206207208209 LastLast
Results 5,126 to 5,150 of 5203

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Still Subjective
    Delroy is ace. Ace I tell you.

He's great in The Good Fight, which I highly recommend anyway. Watched most of Malcolm X and he's good in that too.

Still Subjective
    The Old Guard

It started strong and only got a bit weaker.

Overall I liked it and I do hope they make the potential sequel. I liked the cast a lot too.

One thing though - the end makes no sense. She'd be dead, unless she's a special one with infinite lives.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    One thing though - the end makes no sense. She'd be dead, unless she's a special one with infinite lives.
    No. Nothing special about it.

There was never a rule for count of deaths, only "when it's time" - and that was repeatedly said and shown to be arbitrary/unpredictable. It just happens - or does not ... yet. Evidently it did not happen for that one in the time given - which means she is bound to be completely batshit by now.

Delirium is a really good horror on Netflix. It stars Topher Grace (Eric from That Seventies Show) as a guy who is just let out of an asylum to return to his boyhood home. He does a really believable job in this one. His medication messes with him, his lack of it messes with him, and every other character in this messes with him. What's real? All he has to do is seem sane for thirty days and he will have his freedom. Just ignore the scary, gory, lunatic crap that is happening. Probably not real anyway right? Just be nice and sane though nobody else is and you won't have to go back to the institute. I'll just say that by the end you know why he is crazy.

And the really scary part? We live in a world where this sort of thing happens.

Chakat sex pillow
    Dark annoys the shit out of me. It enjoys being complex for the sake of it - here's multiple timelines, now here's a parallel world with those timelines, now here's a branching off of world lines in this new world. But that's not even the part that really gets me, it's when I hear these: 'Du und Ich'. 'The beginning is the end'. 'What we know is a drop'. 'Knot'.

Take a shot every time you hear these, and I guarantee you will be a victim of alcohol poisoning by the end of the season.

Every single time people opened their mouths to drop pithy portents, I wanted to reach into the screen, push down, and twist their heads off like the cap on a childproof Xanax bottle. And of course its visual language is steeped in the most hamfisted of metaphors too. One of the characters is obsessed with the play Ariadne, so obviously her foil is obsessed with describing the workings of the show's drama as a labyrinth. Inception already beat them to the punch for obvious metaphors, but let's just flog that dead horse until it's glue.

What really does work is the zigs and zags that end up in comic tragedy, or tragic comedy; almost all of the characters are undone by themselves and no one else in a multitude of ironies both big and small. Those are great! If only it ended with a few of those instead. The end it does go with is workable -- not terrible, but not great either.

My criticism of the show as a whole remains. There's a lot of good, most of it in the intersections of character motivation and circumstance, but almost all of it overshadowed by its hamfistedness and shallow engaging with things it doesn't actually care about (the Higgs Boson sorry, the 'God Particle', quantum mechanics, science in fucking general) and namedrops them when it needs a little bit of added gravity because the drama wasn't cutting it. The conceptual framework is the bastard lovechild of time travelling, multiple worlds, and the philosophical concept of dualism, undercut by being needlessly complicated like my tax returns after they went through three different accountants. The characters all start out joyless and then are put through a series of wringers, which makes them even more engaging to be around, and the ones who don't have misfortune visited upon them get to be very odd instead (which by my count is a grand total of one person who's three people - hiya, murder squad). And this is just a feeling, but I get the sense of a smug self-satisfied air around the whole thing that makes me roll my eyes just a little bit.

All in all, I give it a 3.141/5/∞. Try and square that circle, Jonas and Martha, you absolute dorks.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 28th Jul 2020 at 03:06.

As hadn't been watching nearly nothing but YouTube lately and felt like a change, started watching all of the black and white episodes of Doctor Who where the missing episodes were replaced with cartoon animations.

Old Doctor Who is just so legendary, with the strong horror angle which is absent in modern Who. Love it. Last night started out the Hartnell finale "The Tenth Planet" with 3 out of 4 being live action. Tonight be watching "The Reign of Terror" (4 out of 6 live action, 2 animated).

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    No. Nothing special about it.

There was never a rule for count of deaths, only "when it's time" - and that was repeatedly said and shown to be arbitrary/unpredictable. It just happens - or does not ... yet. Evidently it did not happen for that one in the time given - which means she is bound to be completely batshit by now.
    That's not what I got from it. I got that it was death by injury that was limited. They didn't know if it was just time, but it seemed like they actually had finite "lives".

Anyway, we'll see in the sequel if one comes.

In the meantime I've watched all of Star Trek :TNG. I never saw all of it before. It's very good.

Now we're onto the films. Generations isn't bad. Contact was great. Insurrection next - the only one I haven't seen. And then, ugh, Nemesis. Finally, it'll be on to Picard. At last.

Chakat sex pillow
    That's not what I got from it. I got that it was death by injury that was limited. They didn't know if it was just time, but it seemed like they actually had finite "lives".

Anyway, we'll see in the sequel if one comes.
    That's one way of approaching it in terms of a viewer's internal logic, but the movie never specifies it works that way. What it does say at the outset is it just happens without warning with no other parameters deciding it -- though it does call out towards the end that Andy loses her immortality at the same time Nile gains hers, which is more definite in terms of the mechanism they're going with.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Dark annoys the shit out of me.
    It didn't annoy me. But I didn't think season 3 was good. Not bad, but also not good. I liked the first 2 seasons very much. So season 3 was disappointing.

I was already afraid that the addition of parallel worlds was gonna mess up the story. Too complicated. I agree with most what you wrote. I liked the first 2 seasons, because Dark got all the little things right. The details. The interactions. That was a lot less the case in S03. E.g. I liked the backstory of Katherina and her mother. But the characters of Jonas and Martha indeed only became more shallow. I had hoped to learn more about Magnus and Franziska, but they were fully redundant. I also didn't like the 3 ∞-dudes. We got no info on them. Their characters could have just as well not been there.

I got the impression the writers lost track of their story. And to try to bring the story to and end, they had to put 100% of their focus on the story. And then they forgot to include lots of the good elements of S01 and S02.

For me the drinking game would have been about the sentence: "Ich muss los" (translated: "I have to go").
    About half the scenes in S01 and S02 ended because someone said "Ich muss los".

Level 10,000 achieved

Ranking Da Ghiblis Pt.2 (all of em this time)

Ok now I've watched all of em. Here we go.

Spirited Away - I mean, it's great! So magical, so many unique/weird/fantastic/horrifying/thrilling sequences.

Howl’s Moving Castle - This one is also solid from beginning to end.

The Wind Rises - An animated biopic about the aero-engineer who designed the Zero-fighters. On paper you wouldn't think something like this needs to be animated, but the animation does let it present several fantastical sequences that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

Princess Mononoke - You know about this one. It's badass!

My Neighbour Totoro - So fuzzy and warm.

Only Yesterday - A woman escapes the hustle and bustle of the city and comes out to the farm for the summer to reminisce about her past and ponder her future. It's nostalgic and relatable and I kinda wanna watch it again.

Grave Of The Fireflies - Holy shit what a downer. How did the studio that made My Neighbour Totoro also make this? IN THE SAME YEAR NO LESS!

Kiki's Delivery Service - Out of all the Ghiblis, this is the one I'd most like to adapt into a videogame. I love how unwieldy broom-flying is portrayed in this, with Kiki often having to kick herself away from buildings as she gets too close. Yeah, a physics-driven delivery witch sim would be great. Anyway besides that it's a sweet coming of age story.

Laputa: Castle In The Sky - Just a straight-up uncomplicated classic action-adventure film.

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya - I had kinda a hard time with it initially, but it gets better. The ending is pretty great.

Porco Rosso - It's got a pig flying a plane! Reminded me a lot of Crimson Skies.

Nausicaä - Classic adventure story with an environmentalist message.

Whisper Of The Heart - One of these more low-key Ghiblis. Has a few nice scenes. Also has a cat statue that might be magical or something.

Ponyo - More of a kids movie than the rest of their output. A lot of neat ideas and sequences, but it didn't really grab me.

Arrietty - A story about a tiny family that lives in the walls.

Pom Poko - Fable about a bunch of racoons trying to defend their home from the humans by doing magic shit. Has some nice scenes.

From Up On Poppy Hill - Love-story set amid a student-movement to preserve an old clubhouse. Eh, it's fine.

When Marnie Was There - Straight up Y.A. stuff. Kinda a drag getting through, but it picks up in the 3rd act and the ending is quite sweet.

The Cat Returns - Remember that cat statue from Whisper of the Heart? He's baaaaaaaaack! This movie isn't very good tho.

My Neighbors The Yamadas - A collection of "comedic" vignettes from this Yamada family, but most of the bits are like "oh no, dad left his umbrella at home! Will he get wet if IT RAINS? Oh wait nvm he bought a new umbrella. ok on to the next scene."

Tales From Earthsea - Fantasy adventure, that's just... kinda dull. Christopher Walken plays an evil wizard in the English version and gives a very un-Christopher Walken vocal performance.

Watched "Secretary". Seen it a few times. This movie would NOT be made today due to the theme of a boss seducing his young secretary into a master / slave relationship of sorts. Very odd sort of movie. I quite like it though, as there is things of mental illness, finding someone on your level of crazy (which in this movies case was into a dominatrix kinda thing), why some people self harm (as a stress release) etc etc.

If your one who is sensitive to that kinda viewing (especially in relation to modern events like metoo etc), then I would not recommend it to you, as viewed under that sort of angle then you'd complete HATE IT. For me I don't view it from that perspective. More on that we are all messed up in our ways, and that there are people out there on our level. That's my interpretation. James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal are excellent. James is great in nearly everything I've seen him in.

Still Subjective
    Why couldn't it be made?

It could be. Of course it could be.

They Look Like People How's that for a title? Of course it draws you in. It could be some sort of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. In a way it is. In a common ordinary completely fucked up way. Most of us have some minor quirks. Most of the planet believes in things with no evidence. As long as our friends and neighbors believe then a god with the emotions of a child can make folks rise from the dead. There are angels and demons. One day there will be a war to end them all over good and evil. Somebody said so before the invention of science and that is good enough for us two thousand years later. It isn't even thought of as mental illness. Mental illness is the scariest of all possibilities for ourselves and others and we ignore it even in our face. Daily we do.

Most of us never wonder about our own sanity though. Oh we have thought of the absolute worst we can do and decided we could never be enticed to do it. Not by voices or visions or angels and demons. But what if we could? What if we aren't as sane as we think? What if we would do terrible things if we saw and heard the right things? What if we were convinced the terrible things were the right things? We just have to be strong... but strong in which direction?

Recent events have shown me the world is more insane than I would have thought. Why not a little further for some?

As a topper it's also about friendship tested to the full extent.

Why couldn't it be made?

It could be. Of course it could be.
    True. But there would be a mountain of complaints.

LittleFlower
    "But a word of caution: handle with care and don't drop your guard.
    This rapacious new breed prowls both alone and in packs, operating at any level, any time, anywhere, and with anybody.
    Who are they ?
    One might be your secretary, your doctor's receptionist... or a dancer in a go-go club".

I wasn't unhappy with Westworld S3 until the episode we watched today, "Genre". Honestly, I cannot remember ever having seen such a halfassed episode in pretty much all respects in any of the HBO series I've watched to date. It feels like the creative team did a fifteen-minute brainstorm, came up with some ideas, and then got bored and decided it'd all come together in post-production. It doesn't help that the fun characters are few and far between in S3, so episodes have to succeed on the basis of their writing and storytelling, and while the setup to date hinted at more interesting things to come, "Genre" made pretty much everything that's going on seem derivative and vague, added to which the series itself barely seems interested in its themes. The aesthetic conceipt that gave the episode its title was done without an ounce of wit, flair or inventiveness. (Okay, not true. The one bit with the theme from Love Story was okay.) And it seems painfully clear at this point that none of S3 was in any way planned out before they got to it, so Dolores' grand plan at the end of S2 has morphed into something altogether different, which neither helps the character nor the overarching plot.

But hey, Vincent Cassel's French is nice to listen to, so there's that.

I read the scripts for Shane Carruth's A Topiary & The Modern Ocean, the former of which has been helpfully summarized in a video. Hopefully he gives the same treatment to The Modern Ocean soon too, because it's very hard to understand.

At this point they're quite likely to never get made, and they don't lend themselves to other media like novels or comics. So reading the scripts is about as close as we can expect to get to them in any authentic form.

I have a lot of thoughts about both the stories and the case of Shane Carruth. I may add them at some point. (He's in trouble on several fronts right now, with an abuse claim against him by his ex, his palpable frustration with Hollywood and his career that he's made in some recent interviews, which were more than a little unhinged. And he's not particularly hiding the fact that he seems to be having some kind of meltdown, or to put it as he put it in one interview, the covid lockdown has had him going a bit 'The Shining', which sounded literal to me.)

But I can't cover all of that now, or even the more general malaise with the current state of cinema that his case always churns up, and the feeling of loss that so much time and energy were spent on such worthwhile projects of his that in the end left not a single thing to show for it all, while so much drivel still makes its way out.

For now I just wanted to say A Topiary is probably worth the hype, although I would add 3~5 years to his child characters to authentically get what he's demanding of them. It captures very well what it wants to captures and would have unquestionably been Carruth's mangnum opus. He speaks in terms of visual images and emotional beats. I think trying to reduce it to metaphor misses something essential to his visual language. But it's definitely to do with humans going to such lengths to construct the conditions of their own extinction. He's always had a kind of dark view of the baser elements of humanity floating to the top despite, or even because of our best intentions.

The way that Acts 1 and 2 don't really have anything obvious to do with each other, except both are rich with motifs--it's easy to figure all kinds of connections once you start looking for them--I thought was particularly inspired. And the slow burn from curious discovery to irresistible progress to hints of the coming disorder and finally the unstoppable momentum towards the inevitable consequences, all of that was really well done in the 2nd Act. Both Acts 1 and 2 are very inspired and compelling in pretty different ways, and they work well together as a piece, although it's doing things he already developed in Upstream Color. But it hangs together better than UC, and I think it would have definitely hit a more pop nerve as it got into some of the scifi action at the end.

I'm not going to be able to say anything about The Modern Ocean right now because I really didn't understand what I was reading, and unlike Primer & A Topiery, things weren't coming together by the end. I may have more to say if that guy puts out a summary of it that puts it together. A lot of the images by themselves would have made a definite impression. It plays with the immensity of modern seafaring, and there's a burning rivalry and some kind of mystery that keeps it chugging. Well, I may come back to it later.

Still Subjective
    I don't get how his stuff doesn't get funded. It's like there is some anti-intellectualism at play, and they are too concept and not enough flash or something. Thinking about it I'm amazed Upstream Color was ever funded. I really liked both Primer and Upstream Color and I've been hoping The Modern Ocean would eventually be made.

Level 10,000 achieved
    It: Chapter 2 - Well this is kinda a fun horror spectacle isn't it? Goes on for too long tho.
    The Green Mile - Been meaning to watch this forever, but the 3 hour runtime and heavy subject put me off. But once I started watching I was hooked within minutes. Such a great movie. Magical and horrifying.
    I'll Be Gone In The Dark - Speaking of horrifying, I've clearly been in the mood for such stories lately. HBO's 6 part mini-series on the Golden State Killer has some extremely fucked up moments and I just couldn't stop watching it.
    Beware the Slenderman - Another HBO true crime doc. When I heard about those girls stabbing another girl to appease Slenderman I thought they were just trying to shift blame onto some external thing. But this documentary does a great job and bringing you into their world and... well, it kinda makes sense. People believe all kinds of crazy shit, even adults can get sucked into cults with just as insane beliefs as the Slenderman mythos these girls absorbed from the internet and expanded on between themselves. Of course it's as much fueled by their past and their needs as well, the need to belong to something more than anything. A very interesting documentary.

And now for something completely different...

Lost Bullet - I think this Netflix Original might be an overlooked gem! Getting good reviews from the critics but I haven't heard anyone talk about it. It's a French action movie about a convict who gets recruited into a shady police vehicular warfare division and then framed for a murder! The story is engaging, the pacing is tight and the stakes are high. Even better it has some great practical stunts and chase scenes.

Don't sleep on this one folks, it's great fun!

The only thing worth mentioning lately is Weekend. In short, what I liked most about it was that it felt so real.

Also, Toni Erdmann: One of those movies that immediately drew me in.

The Old Guard - entertaining to watch, I wasn't at all bored, but in retrospect, I thought the screenplay wasn't very strong, the music was grating to my ears, and the villain was a cartoonish two-dimensional character. But as I said, I was entertained while watching it.

The Lighthouse - Another strong effort by Robert Eggers. Good stuff all around, with the period language and all, feels as claustrophobic as its almost square picture ratio. Hard to follow what happens sometimes, but I think it being hard to follow and hard to know what's real is done deliberately, to draw you into Robert Pattinson's character's descent into madness.

Eighth Grade - I like coming-of-age movies like Almost Famous (pretty much my favorite movie) and Stand By Me, and this is a good contemporary one, with all the Instagram and Snapchat stuff teenagers have to deal with nowadays. It's refreshing that the 13-year old main character is played by an actual 13-year old girl, zits and all (of course she camouflages those for her YouTube videos). The awkwardness of being a teenager is very realistically portrayed. One of the better movies in the genre. Available on Netflix, apparently written and directed by some YouTube comedian or something called Bo Burnham, I don't know him but in my opinion he gets being a teenager right. Really relatable movie.

My favourite cinema (adhering to the national social distancing rules) is currently doing a Marilyn Monroe retrospective. I'd not actually seen all that many of her films (other than Some Like It Hot and Niagara - and All About Eve, though her part in that one is tiny), so I'm enjoying this opportunity to see her on the big screen. So far we've seen about half a dozen, and while they're not all classics, there's a lot to like in all of them. I have to say that right now I'm enjoying the opportunity to catch more classics on the big screen rather than always trying to catch up with current releases, and while most cinemas aren't doing particularly well these days, I'm happy to see that there is an audience for more clearly defined nichey stuff.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    Eighth Grade - I like coming-of-age movies [...] this is a good contemporary one, with all the Instagram and Snapchat stuff teenagers have to deal with nowadays.
    Not to mention the scene where they're doing an active shooter drill at school. I was a bit taken aback by that, like holy shit that really is something American kids have to do these days. But yeah, I loved this movie too.

School? There are kindergartens doing them. Because, y'know, freedom and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post

The Wind Rises - An animated biopic about the aero-engineer who designed the Zero-fighters. On paper you wouldn't think something like this needs to be animated, but the animation does let it present several fantastical sequences that wouldn't be possible otherwise.
    I was so disappointed by this one I couldn't finish it. I understand the artistic decision to have engines literally voiced by humans, and I respect the poetry of it, I really do. But the real, visceral growl of machines is their actual soul and voice, and Miyazaki's choice completely killed the movie for me. I was pretty gutted because I'm nuts about old planes, so I was really looking forward to it (I didn't know about this detail going in) and didn't for a second think I would be anything else than a fan, given the subject matter.

Page 206 of 209 FirstFirst ... 106156161166171176181186191196201202203204205206207208209 LastLast