TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 26 of 209 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728293031364146515661667176126 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Just... wow!

While looking for steampunk-related stuff on youtube this evening I stumbled upon The Mysterious Explorations of Jasper Morello and 26 minutes of my life fled past in one instant. Maybe it's old hat, but I'm just glad to have discovered this work of art now and I must say I haven't seen anything like that in ages, especially on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Currently watching season 1 of Fringe.
    I've seen all the episodes of both seasons so far and can't seem to stop watching them. The acting is incredibly wooden to me and I don't particularly like the episodes that leave the central plotline, but I do keep at it. The second season is better so far.

Speaking of steampunk, I just rewatched The Amazing Screw-On Head. Vampires! Chimps with tommy-guns! Abe Lincoln! SciFi really should have picked it up.

That was fucking awesome, although it's hardly surprising that a show that awesome never got past the pilot. Tragic nonetheless.

I watched Moon on blu-ray last night. It was a fine movie, but the ending was weak, and it was somewhat predictable.

It was also refreshing to see a sci-fi movie that didn't rely on shooting things to bits and blowing shit up & general effects and noise onslaught. Even so, I was mildly disappointed.

I also used to hate Sam Rockwell, but he was excellent in Moon, and despite the movie not quite meeting with my expectations, it's a solid film and worth seeing. Not many worthy sci-fi movies out there.

Yeah I really enjoyed Moon as an exercise in genre, but I think the acting and a lot of the general ambiance also added a lot to the experience. The entire storyline wasn't particularly strong, but I do agree that the ending stood out as a definite let down.

As far as decent sci-fi movies go recently, the only one that really springs to mind if Children of Men, which I think is the best of this era. Did rely on the shooting and all that, but it really managed to elevate itself above being another action movie on a lot of levels.

I've heard good things about Children of Men, but I'm not terribly keen on movies involving babies or kids. I think it's usually just a cheap way to introduce false drama into a script. Now from what I've heard, Children of Men doesn't fall into that trap, and there's more to it, but I'm still suspicious of it. I believe it to be a fine movie, just perhaps not one for me.

Just see it dude, at least 90% of the films is child free.

Quote Originally Posted by mol View Post
    It was also refreshing to see a sci-fi movie that didn't rely on shooting things to bits and blowing shit up & general effects and noise onslaught.
    A Scanner Darkly, perhaps?

I've heard good things about Children of Men, but I'm not terribly keen on movies involving babies or kids.
    Go get the fucking movie now, you'll love it. Seriously. It's two hours of your life that you won't want back because you just watched an awesome movie.

I've heard good things about Children of Men, but I'm not terribly keen on movies involving babies or kids. I think it's usually just a cheap way to introduce false drama into a script. Now from what I've heard, Children of Men doesn't fall into that trap, and there's more to it, but I'm still suspicious of it. I believe it to be a fine movie, just perhaps not one for me.
    "False drama" definitely doesn't apply to this film. It's not "ooh, a child is in danger, and that's much, much worse than an adult being in danger" at all, if that's what you mean by "false drama".

That's exactly what I meant, but like I said, I had a good hunch that Children of Men was above that.

Ok, I guess I will check it out, then!

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Go get the fucking movie now, you'll love it. Seriously. It's two hours of your life that you won't want back because you just watched an awesome movie.
    Does the angry face mean that you're being sarcastic scots?

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    A Scanner Darkly, perhaps?
    This. The only person who even fires a gun gets yelled at for it.

Still Subjective

It was also refreshing to see a sci-fi movie that didn't rely on shooting things to bits and blowing shit up & general effects and noise onslaught.
    Primer.

Have some 'shrooms first, write full report as soon as it ends.

Seen Primer. Love it to bits. It's brilliant, just the kind of sci-fi movie I'm on about.

Up In The Air

Up in the Air is my favourite movie of 2010. Granted, its the only movie I've watched in 2010, but my logic stands. The trailer appeals to me and I'm a total sucker for George Clooney's latest movies - what can I say, the man is a genuine fantastic actor.

Anyway, this movie is smart, sharply written, ticks along at a nice pace and has a (while predictable) story, managed to keep me interested even though it does deal with a dude flying around the US firing people, or as Clooney put it "making Limbo easier". When his boss is impressed with a new girl with new ideas to fire folks online via a webcam to cut costs, Clooney's character takes the girl around the US to show her the harsh truth of what he does. It's actually very insightful into how people feel about their lives and what happens when the norm is suddenly broken.

Checkout the trailer - highly recommend this one.

Next up, I'm thinking The Lovely Bones but I don't know when that's released in the UK. I managed to sneak into a preview screening of Up in the Air tonight which was lucky...

Quote Originally Posted by ercles View Post
    Does the angry face mean that you're being sarcastic scots?
    No, it means I'm SERIOUS.

Do the capitals mean you're being sarcastic? I'm confused.

Didn't we had a thread about this?

An episode of Stargate:Atlantis
    Don't know it's title though.

Still Subjective
    Some show on TV.

I'll report in tomorrow, let you all know if I did it again.

Quote Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
    Next up, I'm thinking The Lovely Bones
    Strange movie. 7/10. The scenes in the afterlife are so sweet and sentimental that it feels stupid and infantile. Fortunately, the other parts of The Lovely Bones are interesting and terrifying (kudos to Stanley Tucci). Overall, nothing special. Peter Jackson used to make interesting movies. What has happened?

The Hurt Locker
    Very interesting anti-war movie. And it almost feels like a documentary. But do not watch if you hate shakey cam. Unfortunately, the second half of the movie is much worse than the first one IMHO. And the ending is... well, nothing worth waiting for. I have no idea why it was nominated for Golden Globe as the best drama of the year. Nonetheless, it's definitely worth watching. 8/10.
    Last edited by bukary; 7th Jan 2010 at 10:58.

There's so much good stuff out there...

- Le Concert (2009) (I give this one 5 stars)

- Daliás idök (I've got another thread about this movie here)

- The Road (2009) (not a bad dystopic movie at all)

- Amintiri din Epoca de Aur [Tales from the Golden Age] (2009) (i.e. comunist romania)

- Inglorious Bastards (my girlfriend really wanted to see this one; glad I went)

- Avatar (a big joke, though it had probably the best 3D effects I've ever seen)

- Whatever Works (thumbs down, imho Woody Allen at his worst, cliché-ridden and pretentious)

Taking the Death Toll
    I watched the first two eps of X-Files season 3 last night. Will probably watch more today.

Still Subjective
    fascinating

Page 26 of 209 FirstFirst ... 611162122232425262728293031364146515661667176126 ... LastLast