TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 31 of 206 FirstFirst ... 61116212627282930313233343536414651566166717681131 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Mister Science
    Quote Originally Posted by quinch View Post
    I have just finished Season 2 of Breaking Bad and it's one of the best things ever. Very different.
    I liked the first season, second was kinda meh, didn't really click. You heard of Oz? Also prison drama-series, but much rawer. It gets worse with each season but the first two are really good.

I just ordered the complete Oz from Amazon.com, since they had a pretty good offer. Most of my favourite TV series are HBO drama, and from what I've heard a lot of the actors I've liked in other stuff are in Oz. Definitely curious about this one.

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

The Saint TV series with Roger Moore. The library is clearing out all VHS to replace them with DVD. At a cost of fifty cents each, I'm loading up.

I picked up about 10 episodes of The Saint saturday and am watching them.

tBm - is the Saint movie with Val Kilmer based on that series? I was fond of that movie years ago, but I never made the connection.

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

Very loosely. If you read (no insult intended) try the books by Leslie Charteris.

Here is a video of an interview with him

******** style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A_Zrq5wEiuY"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A_Zrq5wEiuY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

Yesterday I first time watched "Stay". One time watching isn't enough to understand it. But I like this kind of films.

Mister Science
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I just ordered the complete Oz from Amazon.com, since they had a pretty good offer. Most of my favourite TV series are HBO drama, and from what I've heard a lot of the actors I've liked in other stuff are in Oz. Definitely curious about this one.
    You are not going to be disappointed, at first at least. It loses momentum after the second season, but in the same way as Battlestar, you will hate how it just isn't as good, but it's still won't bore you and you will keep watching.

Inglorious Basterds... God, that was a stupid and, largely, fucking dull movie.

I'm steadily going off Tarantino.

Still Subjective
    You are dead to me now.

"Drink?"

"If you offered me a scotch and plain water, I could drink a scotch and plain water."

"That a boy lieutenant. Make it yourself like a good chap."

... ...

"What shall we drink to, sir?"

"Down with Hitler."

"All the way down, sir."

Plus Col Landa deserves an award for his performance. They really deserved that award for best cast. Pitt was the weakest of the lot but there were some great scenes. I recommend you watch it again and forget its a Quentin film. Its solid and has some well realised characters. Also loooooving the subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    I liked the first season, second was kinda meh, didn't really click. You heard of Oz? Also prison drama-series, but much rawer.
    hmm? Breaking Bad's not a prison drama series (not yet anyway).

I recommend you watch it again and forget its a Quentin film. Its solid and has some well realised characters. Also loooooving the subtitles.
    Unfortunately the fact that the terrific scenes in this movie are scattered throughout a stack of average or arguable unnecessary ones makes it impossible to forget that it's a Tarantino film. Like all of his recent efforts, the high points were marvelous, and the low points were pretty dreary.

I wondered what Fragony was on about with Breaking Bad, I haven't got to series 2 and have kept well away from any info on it. This almost made me check wikipedia but I resisted.
    So far it's head and shoulders above Oz. (Which is praise indeed.)

Funnily enough Subjective, that scene is one of the most unnecessary of the bunch and I found the overwrought WE'RE ENGLISH, OH RATHER, OLD BOY writing to be distracting more than enjoyable.

The opening scene filled me with hope that this was the movie where Quentin proved me wrong, that he's not this movie clerk geek who's incapable of escaping his narrow view with the intent of satisfying 2.5% of the audience with his constant referencing - though I should've guessed from the horrible music over mishmashed credits that he's got no hope of achieving that goal anytime soon - but no, what I got was an amazing opening scene (still too long, mind you) and the amazing bar sequence inbetween an uninspired mess.

I mean, laughing at Hitler getting a magazine unloaded in his face is funny once, but watch that movie again? With the horrible fucking acting (Waltz excepted), dumb story, overcooked dialogue and interminably boring passages... No thanks, plenty of better movies to watch or rewatch.

However, if Quentin can drop the shtick (and it is shtick) and make a finely crafted action thriller with moments like the farmhouse or bar scenes the standard rather than the exception, I'll gladly be a gushing fanboy.

I must be one of those gushing fanboys, because I loved Inglourious Basterds, just like I loved both Kill Bill films. Guess I'm lucky - so far the one QT thing I didn't like (in fact, I hated it) was the episode he directed on Four Rooms. I even liked Death Proof (except for the ending), which was about the last thing I expected. There's something about QT's style (or "shtik", if you wish to call it that) that I enjoy the hell out of.

We started watching the miniseries The Lost Room last weekend. 2/3 into it, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Nice cast, good mix of weirdness and the mundane, compelling story. I'm a bit worried the ending might not live up to what's gone before, which often happens with a cool concept, but we'll see. Also, it's good to see all of those HBO graduates having a reunion - even if it's a bit weird to have Nate Fisher Jr. working with Frank Sobotka.

Mister Science
    Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    I wondered what Fragony was on about with Breaking Bad, I haven't got to series 2 and have kept well away from any info on it. This almost made me check wikipedia but I resisted.
    So far it's head and shoulders above Oz. (Which is praise indeed.)
    Prison Break is great, the first season is just so much better then the other seasons. I like Oz better but to each their own, both quality series.

FYI: Breaking Bad is not even a tiny little bit like Prison Break

Frags, we're not talking about Prison Break which I thought in total was just above average.
    We're talking about a show called Breaking Bad which is superb but dark and difficult.

Edit: Muz' beat me to it.

Mister Science
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    FYI: Breaking Bad is not even a tiny little bit like Prison Break
    My bad, never heard of it it sounds interesting.

Uh oh... After hearing Fragony wax lyrical about Oz and then confessing that he greatly enjoyed Prison Break, which I found abysmally bad, I've got a bad feeling about having ordered Oz - not primarily due to Fragony's recommendation, but still...

Mister Science
    Chances are you will hate it then, Prison Break isn't the best series but it's well made, and I like prison-drama's. Hope I didn't steer you wrong.

Thirith, if it makes you feel any better the best part of the first season had me fairly hooked but I did find it overly violent and oppressive at times.

Violent and oppressive - sounds like HBO to me. Definitely sounds better than "Like Prison Break, just more rapey!" though. It'll be ages before we'll get around to watching it, most likely; we're still working on 3-4 other series at the moment, so I wouldn't necessarily want to add another one where you need a chart to keep track of the characters. Perhaps once we're done with The Sopranos.

Mister Science
    Does anyone remember a british prison series by the way, was on TV here a few years ago it was really good, forgot the name I only remember a guy getting his throat slit at the end of the first episode.

I know the one you mean but can't remember the name. It was very good if I recall
    It was first aired 2003 if that's any help.
    It had one of the greatest all time lines I've seen.
    This prison psychologist (female) had just slept with the Catholic chaplain, he asked her if she'd cum.
    She said yes, twice, once in 1992 and once in 1997.

The Thin Blue Line. Powerful movie, helped immeasurably by to the repetitive minimalism of Philip Glass's score. It's so naturalistic yet cinematic that it feels different to any other documentary I've ever seen. Definitely need to check out more of Morris's work.

Page 31 of 206 FirstFirst ... 61116212627282930313233343536414651566166717681131 ... LastLast