TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 32 of 205 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637424752576267727782132 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you watched lately?

I've wanted to check that one out ever since watching Fog of War (also Morris/Glass), which I liked a lot - definitely worth watching. And at some point I should get that Philip Glass CD collection...

Mister Science
    Yeah but anyway watch 'The Killing', viking-made murder mystery, family drama and political thriller, and every bit is as good the other, nothing bores, each episode gets better.

edit, and watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5FYahzVU44

Very moving, some genuinely heartfelt moments. Really feels like getting to know a real human being instead of a movie character, way to go.
    Last edited by Fragony; 12th Feb 2010 at 06:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I've wanted to check that one out ever since watching Fog of War (also Morris/Glass), which I liked a lot - definitely worth watching.
    I have a copy of this somewhere, will dig out soon.

I think the most powerful part of Morris's documentaries is just how relaxed the interview subjects are and how they are talking directly at you, achieved via the Interrotron.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    /interrotron%20web%20page.jpg"]Interrotron[/URL].
    I love how this thing's name makes it sound like something out of a '60s or '70s dystopian fiction. "No, not the Interrotron! Noooo!"

yes, moustache twirling name indeed

If you won't tell us... perhaps you'll tell him.

INTERROTRON! COME!

Scrubs Season 6
    Scrubs Season 7
    Halfway through Scrubs Season 8.

I like Scrubs.

Moderator and Priest
    Now that I've finished The Wire (EXCELLENT! One of the rare few shows that lives up to the hype surrounding it.), I'm now filling that void with Sci-Fi conspiracy action, mostly in the forms of the X-Files and Fringe. I need something more though. I've already seen most of what the X-Files has to offer beforehand, and Fringe has its on again off again showings that leave me in a new show void for a couple of weeks.

Maybe I'll get into Battlestar Galactica or something.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 15th Feb 2010 at 17:16. Reason: derp

Chakat sex pillow

it ain't no Wire but...

You're probably unhinged enough to enjoy Farscape, Renz.

I was, and still am, at any rate. (Stick with it till Season 2 at least. Really.)

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, that's one show that sorta piqued my interest, but fell off my radar for one reason or another. I'll give it a whirl.

Mister Science
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Maybe I'll get into Battlestar Galactica or something.
    You mean you didn't already???? The first season is the best television ever, second one second best. I am usually not into SF but this blew me away.

The last thing I watched was The Grudge:Ju-On(no, not that shitty American remake) which I got on DVD a few days ago.
    The story was a bit confusing at first but I managed to understand it after looking at the Wiki entry.
    It really is one of the most disturbing J Horrors I've seen(close second to Ring and Dark Water of course). The way the story is told through different character's viewpoints is cool and made it more interesting. The ending was a bit of a WTF moment and hopefully the sequel ties up some loose ends. The rattling/cracking noises that the apparition of Kayoko kept making chilled me to the bone, probably the most terrifying ghost of the three family members IMO.
    4.5/5.

Taking the Death Toll
    Man I need to finish X-Files season 3 this weekend don't I?

Recently, Searching for Bobby Fischer and right now The Ring (US remake).

Mister Science
    Just watched District 9, what a disappointment after hearing so much good about it. The first half is excellent with that documentary approach, and then they throw that all overboard and it becomes a somewhat -less dumb then most but still dumb- action flick. What a pity I was really hyped for this one. I don't feel like I wasted my time but I was expecting something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Just watched District 9, what a disappointment after hearing so much good about it. The first half is excellent with that documentary approach, and then they throw that all overboard and it becomes a somewhat -less dumb then most but still dumb- action flick. What a pity I was really hyped for this one. I don't feel like I wasted my time but I was expecting something different.
    I agree about the second half being pretty shit. Some parts of it ( Like those fucking Nigerians! ) were great, but once the journalist guy picks up a lazor gunn and starts going Michael Bay on everything.. Meh. It went from a movie I loved to hilarious nerd wank and piss poor dialogue very quickly.

And also, the journalist dude trying to be an action hero.

Mister Science
    Go see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqTrclLJ2Fg

Creepiest movie I have seen in a while, a truly terrifying premise.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Speaking of terrifying premises how about this one:

A platoon of eagle & vultures attack the residence of a small town. Many people died. It's not known what caused the flying menace to attack. Two people managed to fight back, but will they survive Birdemic?

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Recently, Searching for Bobby Fischer and right now The Ring (US remake).
    Did you like The Ring? It was one of the very few movies to ever truly scare me in the theater. I absolutely loved it, but two of my friends actually thought it was too scary and they don't want to see the movie again.

I have it on DVD and I think it's superior to the Japanese version, especially the direction and special effects and the scary video itself. But maybe I'm not really in touch with what the Japanese find scary, and it's also got something to do with the fact that I saw the US version first and in a theater, and the Japanese version after that and on a tv. Anyway, kudos to the Japanese for coming up with it first.

Some people hate the fact that nearly every scary image in the video is explained, but I actually liked that, the Japanese video didn't make sense to me (a guy with a towel hanging over his head, that's so random, why is that in the video?).

Anyway, it's one of my favorite horror movies ever. Some people say that it's a neutered PG-13 Hollywood type of horror, but this movie doesn't need blood and guts to be scary. While it doesn't scare me anymore because I know it too well, I still like watching it because of its atmosphere.

Taking the Death Toll
    The problem with Japanese horror is that it's been relentlessly aping Jacob's Ladder for 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I need something more though. I've already seen most of what the X-Files has to offer beforehand, and Fringe has its on again off again showings that leave me in a new show void for a couple of weeks.
    A man builds a robot to replace his dead son. x 120 episodes

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    I have it on DVD and I think it's superior to the Japanese version, especially the direction and special effects and the scary video itself. But maybe I'm not really in touch with what the Japanese find scary, and it's also got something to do with the fact that I saw the US version first and in a theater, and the Japanese version after that and on a tv. Anyway, kudos to the Japanese for coming up with it first.
    The US version isn't bad and in some ways better (or at least more culturally appropriate. I'm assured there's things in the original that go right to Japanese mythology which westerners don't get, like the poem etc) but they still have to depart from the subtlety of the original in needless ways. What's the point in making Samara fizz like a TV picture? Or spinning around her in big crane shots? Even making the dead look like they've been underwater for a fortnight is just a cheap grossout. Works great but it doesn't really make any sort of sense. The somewhat biblical ending with the shack tearing itself apart and people getting clobbered by televisions (OMG symbolic!) is just so unecessarily cheesy.
    The orginal is cheap by comparison, but everything that made it stick with you was copied almost exactly by the remake.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    The problem with Japanese horror is that it's been relentlessly aping Jacob's Ladder for 20 years.
    I don't think that's true, unless you stretch J-horror to include things like Silent Hill, which clearly owes plenty to J's Ladder.
    I haven't seen everything, so there might be some examples, but Nakata's early work is pretty much the opposite of JL's grand guignol horrors, being completely understated and minimalist, relying a lot on light, those twisted dancery movments and not much else.

Anyway: I've been starting to watch The Venture Bros. at long last. I'm only a few eps in but dammit I'm hooked. The thing is crazy but it's also tight. It's like some collision of the gonzo Adult Swim stuff with the extreme Saturday Morning Cartoon parody of Invader Zim and somehow it works. I'm still not sure how, but dammit it's funny. It also has this insane score by JG Thirlwell (JG Fucking Thirlwell!) which is like a million cool points right there.
    Last edited by Muzman; 28th Feb 2010 at 03:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    Did you like The Ring?
    Hard to say, I didn't watch all of it (it was on TV and ads force me to wander the house aimlessly for a while or channel hop, which means I miss bits), but I skipped the end after they reached the spooky house and Samara's dad went for a swim with every electrical appliance in the house. It seemed like the Japanese version but with everything turned up a notch, which basically works against everything I loved about the original.

I guess I didn't feel terribly inclined to watch it all anyway due to having seen the Japanese version, which I really liked but I've only seen once. I thought it was incredibly effective at the slow burning terror. Pity it became the archetype for a lot of J-Horror flicks and sort of ruined its effectiveness.

And on Jacob's Ladder: I'm not really seeing the comparison, dethtoll. As far as I know, no movie captures the same sense of random freakiness, eerie conversations and totally fucked weirdo visuals that Ladder goes for. I don't see similarities in anything coming out of the J-Horror circuit, other than endless repitition of what's gone before that worked (see The Ring and compare to Dark Water - both J-horror versions - and the only thing that's really separates them is a device).

Mister Science
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    imho the problem with Japanese horror is overkill, every scene has to be scary, and they are but all in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Even making the dead look like they've been underwater for a fortnight is just a cheap grossout. Works great but it doesn't really make any sort of sense.
    But at least it's actually scary. When they showed that closet girl with her white eyes and creepy unhinged jaw accompanied by a loud noise, I jumped in my seat. In comparison, the Japanese version just has a photograph of a girl with her mouth open, with inverted colors. That's not scary at all. In the theater, that image of the closet girl actually scared me so much that I didn't recover from it for the rest of the movie, and I was on edge the whole time, something which I love in a horror movie.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say that the US version is objectively superior to the Japanese version, just that it clicked with me, personally, in a way that the Japanese version did not. I can remember only 5 horror movies to ever truly scare me, namely Alien, The Shining, Poltergeist, The Mothman Prophesies, and The Ring. Especially the comparison with Alien is apt: the chestburster scene is so shocking that it kept me on edge for the rest of the movie, just like the closet girl in The Ring.

Dexter Season 4 and John Lithgow is a terrifying fucking genius.

Page 32 of 205 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637424752576267727782132 ... LastLast