TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 34 of 205 FirstFirst ... 491419242930313233343536373839444954596469747984134 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you watched lately?

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

Being odd man out, as usual, ( I rarely go to movies) my favorite TV series, at the moment, is Axemen. A series about the logging business. In my youth I worked those same forests in Oregon and Washington as a logger.

As far as reality shows go, it is not bad. I do think the idiot who thinks he knows underwater logging (the idiot from the Northwest who is temporarily trying Swamp logging) is a menace to everyone who works with him.

Having done the same thing in the 50's and 60's and into the 80's, he is the most uneducated (in his chosen profession) that I have ever witnessed. If he doesn't end up killing himself or a co-worker in a year or two, I shall be greatly surpised.

Of course I'm a bit late, but finally I discovered Flight of the Conchords. Saw both seasons, and love the humor, and especially the songs.

And I'm so gonna do the same thing one day.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Out of interest, what's so great about Caprica, exactly?
    Not that much as it turns out. Its watchable but is nowhere near as solid as BSG. I'd say its about on par with V atm and (shock horror) is inferior to Stargate Universe, and sadly has hella irritating characters. I think the only people that don't grate thus far are the Stoltz character and the kids. Don't get me started on the Adamas.

I've just caught up with True Blood. Finished watching series 2 this week and what a refreshing change it is. I don't know if its the characters or the setting but it works for me. Lafayette is my fav character, natch, and I think the casting of Gorick and Eric spot on. Their nationalities probably help.

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

I just watched this: http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=13658

I'm sure the European people have seen/heard it, but this is amazing. A friend from New Zealand just sent it me.

Unbelieveable, and a great performance. If you've not seen it be prepared for a shock. In my case a delightful shock, but a shock none the less.

Still Subjective
    Yeah, that was pretty cool when I first saw it on tv. It happens about once a season with these things.

Hey tBm, I like a bit of Axemen but 2 or 3 shows every so often is enough.
    If it ever comes over the pond, try Trawlermen. It's about North Sea fishermen but again, I can only handle a couple of episodes here and there.
    Basically every episode is the same, containing some or all of the following - net breaks, brothers compete for biggest catch, engine dies and expensive part needs to be flown to back of beyond, deck crew get rebellious, bad storms, record catch after days of nothing.
    Last edited by Namdrol; 13th Mar 2010 at 03:27.

Mister Science
    JCVD, Jean Claude van Damme's best movie! He is really good as Jean Claude van Damme. And it is actually a great movie. Very clever self-concious comedy, bad times for the muscles from Brussels, and an even worse day. Poor guy.

go see this

Chakat sex pillow
    After missing it in the theatres, I went and got Up today because, hey, it's a a Pixar movie, and it has to be part of the collection.

I thought that, after the string of enjoyable but not-quite-Finding-Nemo outings that were Cars, Ratatouille, and Wall-E, that I had to lower my expectations a bit. And so, with that in mind, I sat in front of the television and pressed the play button. And... goddamn you, Pixar.

God fucking damn you. It's been years since a movie's made me tear up like that.

If I ever have kids, I know what movies they'll be growing up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    JCVD, Jean Claude van Damme's best movie! He is really good as Jean Claude van Damme. And it is actually a great movie. Very clever self-concious comedy, bad times for the muscles from Brussels, and an even worse day. Poor guy.

go see this
    I watched this a couple of weeks ago too. I found it to be more of an enjoyable little experiment than a complete film though. They get some good mileage out of the premise (although I wish they could have played a bit more with the expectation vs 'reality' of JCVD in a hostage situation), and Van Damme does indeed acquit himself quite well, even with the rather obvious 'showcase' nature of some of the scenes. However the bank heist is a complete wash and none of the other characters make much of an impression. Still it is definitely worth a look.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Agreeing with Angel Dust's take on JCVD.

I just rewatched my favourite domestic film: Aki Kaurusmäki's "The Man Without a Past". It's an odd slow-moving tale about a man who gets beaten up, looses his memory and then starts getting his life back together while living with the other bums and outcasts in a container down in the harbor. One of the better scenes is when the protagonist introduces the Salvation Army band to rock music.

Recommended for Jim Jarmusch fans.

Mister Science
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    However the bank heist is a complete wash and none of the other characters make much of an impression.
    Disagree there, main villain was great fun, especially because he's so ugly.

Anyways I watched the Exorcism of Emily Rose, good stuff, religious horror always freaks me out.

Shutter Island

I've heard so many negative opinions on this one that I was not expecting anything good. But... it is great! Really great. 9/10.

Still Subjective
    Any film where the "twist" is telegraphed in MASSIVE NEON ELECTRO-WRITING into my frontal cortex during the trailer has to have something wrong with it.

Or I'm a frakking genius/magician/telepath/psychedelic alien love god.

Well, I am the last one anyway, but you get what I mean.

Ink

Usually no budget, Indie films reflect just how much they are a no budget, Indie film. With this one, though, I was quite surprised at how well done the film is. Even though the fight scenes are bit hack, and some of the dialog really stinks, the overall story is solid and the photography is beautiful. A surreal, and captivating, little film in the vein of Donnie Darko meets the Matrix, with nods to Brazil, What Dreams May Come, and Neil Gaimen's Neverwhere.

Watched Kick-Ass on Saturday. Surprisingly for something based on a Mark Millar comic, I really liked it. Probably because it was developed in parallel by a functioning human being who actually cares for the characters he writes instead of just wondering how many shocking moments of rape, misogyny and homophobia he can cram in there.

The movie's good though. A bit messy and ultimately it's pretty disposable, but it manages the wild mood swings pretty deftly, and Nicholas Cage does a great Adam West. The only thing that annoyed me was how it overused John Murphy scores from other movies. I counted three uses of the 28 Weeks Later theme and one of Kaneda's Death off the Sunshine soundtrack.

I've started watching Breaking Bad on the advice of pretty much everybody in the world. Sofar 2 episodes in and i'm enjoying its take on things.

Has anyone caught Treme yet? I'm tempted to wait for the season to fully air before getting into it based on my experience with the wire. But then again, its David Simon.

Glee

I also really liked Kick-Ass. Exciting and funny. Liked it far more than Wanted.

Very good music in it too, both the songs and the score. But it irks me that I looked up the soundtrack CD because I wanted to buy it, but it only has the songs on it but nothing of the original score. I hate that, they do this far too often on soundtrack albums, they will include all the songs (even some not featured in the movie) for the teenybopper crowd but they forget the true fans of quality film music by leaving out the original score. Well, I'm not going to buy the album in that case.

Just watched Into the Wild.

Wow

Doctor Who Series 5 Episode 4

Quote Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
    Has anyone caught Treme yet? I'm tempted to wait for the season to fully air before getting into it based on my experience with the wire. But then again, its David Simon.
    I watched the first few minutes, and for some reason couldn't bear to keep watching. Khandi Alexander is in it though, and she carried the Corner.

Maybe when the season is finished airing I'll go back. I can't help but feel like David Simon desperately needs to write another book, though.

Just watched the 5th episode Flesh and Stone of Doctor Who tonight.

Wow what an episode. Very very very good writing and solid acting from everyone. I love that Moffat is not afraid to actually give us information about his season arc's unlike RTD then that bit at the end with Amy. My only worry is she becomes a 'Donna' figure as the most important person in the universe. But I have faith in Moffat and his writing team. A nice conclusion to the Angels story - but they'll be back, I got the impression they are everywhere and arent like the Daleks in that they can be ultimately defeated. Very nicely handled aswell with the Clerics. We got more about River Song, about The Crack and with Amy at the end throwing herself at the doctor for SEX and then kissing him. Repeatedly. Then the Doctor realising something about her it was all...wtf??

I'll be honest; Matt Smith is much more like the Doctor i've always wanted. I loved Tennant's take on it but that was for a different writing and Matt Smith is ideal for the more adult-darker themed stuff; and do not kid yourself with this projected 'dumbing down' or 'aimed more at kids' schtick. There are some very dark moments sofar this season and Matt Smith is a brilliant take on what Doctor Who should be and suits the story perfectly. Its good to see Matt Smith starting to develop the character rather than continuing to mimic Tennant!

I shouted NO! at the Amy/Doctor scene in her room at the end - we all saw it coming and it was excellently handled! Wonder what it means though...was that her being her? Or under some influence? I think it was her being a girl impressed by a man and not wanting to get married; nothing sinister about it. But the crack is definitely following her for some reason. Cue jokes about Amy Pond and her crack.

Oh, and poor Peter Davison and Colin Baker must be thinking: "why didn't I have Steve Moffat writing for me?"

Fantastic, and I'd rate it a strong 23 Jaegerbombs out of High-Fives.

You said it all, thefonz. Great episode, nice to see Angels being afraid of something. I have a feeling this will be the best DW finale so far.

He didn't said "it all"... There are more interesting matters, but anyway I'm kinda tired of all the stuff repeating itself over and over again (end of time & stuff, just said slightly differently, impossible woman). Then again, I guess that's the theme for Doctor Who.
    Fun episode, pretty obvious that River kills Doctor, but oh well, it'll prolly come to find itself justified and eventually time will be written, blah blah, Doc lives, but the thing could theoreticly be stretched for decades of series to see and RL River shall be old be then....

Responding to the above in the Dr Who thread

Page 34 of 205 FirstFirst ... 491419242930313233343536373839444954596469747984134 ... LastLast