TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 36 of 209 FirstFirst ... 6111621263132333435363738394041465156616671768186136 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Just finished an anime show called Potemayo. It's very laid back, charming and sweet, almost a children's show. Except that there's significant amounts of subtle adult humor, and it's really, really strange. It's about a kid's relationship with the infant-creature that he finds in his refrigerator one day, whom he names after what he was eating at the time. And that's just in the first four minutes.

Did I mention that it's sweet? Enough to cause tooth decay? And utterly strange? Ok then.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetros View Post
    I just saw Splice. Definitely not for everyone, but even so, everyone should watch it if only for the unique experience it offers. It's a science fiction horror film centering around two romantically involved genetic engineers experimenting with human hybrids.
    But is it anything but anti-GE propaganda hitting you in the face?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just finished Sons of Anarchy season 1. It's a show about bikers, with Ron Perlman as the head of the gang and Katey Sagal as his wife. For the first couple of episodes it's kind of hard to root for these bikerguys but after a while they become more endurable, likeable even. The last few episodes in the season has at least one dramatic moment to rival Breaking Bad, aswell as some very nice montages set to cool bluestunes.

Season 2 Trailer

btw has anyone noticed that Ron Perlman kinda looks like a monkey?

We're almost done with Rome. Good series, great writing, largely great acting, fantastic production values - but the pacing in the second season suffers greatly from their telescoping three seasons into one. There are brilliant moments in S2, but at times it feels like seven, eight episodes of "Previously on".

(Next series on our list: either Dexter or Mad Men.)

'The Consequences of Love'

Excellent mafia-themed Italian movie, but the theme doesn't actually prevail. Ambience, pace, protagonist's play, and soundtrack are what makes it shine.

Taking the Death Toll
    [REC].

The last 20 minutes of this film are some of the most terrifying cinema I've seen in 20 years. I'm pretty jaded but oh god I had trouble sleeping.

Yeah, REC is good. I want to want the sequel soon, I hear it's pretty decent too.

Me and a friend watched The Road 2 days ago. I must say the movie got to me emotionally and I really liked the visual look. Just don't expect a lot of action.

[Rec2] is already out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0-gVB-U5is
    And the relation between [Rec] and [Rec2] is like the one between Alien and Aliens. Hmm... not really, that is a cheap exaggeration, but the end of [Rec2] is really awesome.

And by the way, [Rec3] is already in production.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    btw has anyone noticed that Ron Perlman kinda looks like a monkey?
    I know, right?! I hate everything he's ever been in, apart from The Name of the Rose, based on a masterpiece by an Italian genius author.

On topic attempt: I've been watching a bit of Battlestar Galactica at work lately (welcome to 2004!), and I'm greatly enjoying it. I'm a bit lost since I don't even know which season it is, but that just makes it more realistic since I'm confused a lot in real life as well.

Chakat sex pillow
    Somehow, the fact that massi isn't here any more makes your first sentence either massively ironic or just plain tragic.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by reizak View Post
    I know, right?! I hate everything he's ever been in, apart from The Name of the Rose, based on a masterpiece by an Italian genius author.

I've been watching loads of movies recently.

Interrogation - Set in the early 1950s as the Soviets were strengthening their influence within Poland. After a night out getting drunk with some 'fans' after one of her shows, a singer wakes up in prison. She has to confess to crimes against the state that she did not commit, and name her co-conspirators. The charges are absurd, but the quota must be met. Tense and engrossing. I loved it.

Slim Susie - A black comedy from Sweden. A guy arrives back at his home town to look for his sister who has mysteriously vanished. Kind of silly but good fun. There's one scene where they're watching Pulp Fiction in the cinema when the film runs out. The owner gets up on stage to ring his mate so that he can tell everyone how it ends.

In China They Eat Dogs - A man who works in a bank foils a robbery, then feels guilty about it. To make things 'right' he himself robs an armoured transport full of money and then breaks the bank robber out of jail. It kind of devolves into violence, but the film was about personal morals. The ending is bizarre.

The Inhabited Island - A really shit Russian sci-fi. I had to turn it off after half an hour. I couldn't follow the plot, but at a guess the protagonist was looking for the rest of his boy-band.

Synecdoche, New York - I can see why people would hate this, but I thought it was excellent.

Insomnia - A Swedish detective travels to the Artic Circle in Norway during polar daytime to investigate a death. He accidentally shoots his partner in thick fog chasing a suspect and then tries to cover it up. This film is brilliant and really well acted. There is apparently a remake by Christopher Nolan, but it's going to be surreal seeing Al Pacino and Robin Williams play the detective and suspect.

Day of the Wacko - A really silly Polish satire about a man who hates everyone and the direction his life has taken. It's like a mixture of Falling Down and Mr. Bean, while parodying politics and consumerism, and eventually descends into surrealism.

The Lives of Others - I've been wanting to watch this for a long time, but I ended up hating it. It's about an East German playwright who subversively writes something critical of the GDR to be smuggled into the West while being spied upon by a sympathetic Stasi officer. The film can't even take its authoritarian antagonists seriously to the point of throwing in a rape scene just so you know who the bad guys are. The stakes are low, the protagonist is wooden, the music demands more emotion than is there, and deus ex machina is more deadly than communism.

Damn, there's more, but I don't want to start spamming here with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    The Lives of Others - I've been wanting to watch this for a long time, but I ended up hating it.
    I liked this movie. As for your criticisms on its wooden tone, I thought that was a part of the message (possibly inadvertently)... Even the "heroic" figures and moments of the Stasi era are stale and not particularly all that heroic ... just people making little quixotic stands they thought were right at the time. You really get a picture of how petty the whole thing is for both sides ... the stasi hounding writers with extreme paranoia and diligence for probably rather mediocre essays, and the stasi renegade awkwardly and woodenly risking everything to protect the same probably mediocre writer and his essay. Everybody comes across awkward and bland. And the little ambivalent feeling you get -- happy the good guy wins, sure, I guess, but something's a little unsatisfying about it anyway -- is a nice picture of an awkward and ambivalent era... Like a big meta-"fuck you" to the era for even making our heroes boring as shit.

Plus thinking about what it means to contemp. Germany as a revisionist piece of retrospection is interesting, like it's trying a little too hard to say something for German identity today than taking the period on its own terms ... I'm just sensing, though, not myself being German.

Your description of Interrogation makes me definitely want to see it. I just read a history of post-War Europe 1945-present ("Postwar"), and even having been taught a little of what was going on in E. Europe in the 50s and 60s, Poland in particular, it's still a profoundly absurd and unreal story when you read it in the details ... These mass arrests and purges not even for any instrumental purposes for the most laughably ridiculous charges for their own sake (ironic charges were a favorite), like some epic political burlesque theatre for an audience that doesn't even want to be there. And then you get Paris academics coming to Warsaw and going on and on about how lucky they all must feel to be part of something so great, with possibly every eyeball in the audience rolling almost backwards. After reading that book I'd like to see even more dramatizations, because it just all seems so unreal and you want to see a depiction just to understand how something so unreal could become a people's entire reality.

Taking the Death Toll
    So I started Millennium Season 2.

Any apprehensions I had about the direction the show was going were dashed entirely by "The Curse of Frank Black." What an absolutely brilliant episode.

dashed is not a word, firefox spell checker? really?

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    'The Consequences of Love'

Excellent mafia-themed Italian movie, but the theme doesn't actually prevail. Ambience, pace, protagonist's play, and soundtrack are what makes it shine.
    true that. boards of canada

last 10 movies I've seen:

The African Queen (1951) 8/10 excellent hollywood classic
    Toy Story (1995) 8/10 a classic, obviously
    The Atomic Cafe (1982) 8/10 excellent film comprised of nothing but found footage from the atomic age. can be seen here.
    Inception (2010) 8/10 terrific, smart hollywood film. will definitely provide plenty of fodder for film schools in years to come.
    An Angel at My Table (1990) 7/10 decent for what it is (which is a converted telemovie) enjoyed this more than other jane campion films
    Key Largo (1948) 7/10 saw this on the plane, love a good noir.
    Sonatine (1993) 7/10 takeshi kitano is my favourite contemporary director, this one's not his strongest but a rather sweet yakuza film.
    Date Night (2010) 5/10 this was on the plane and I had no choice, was better than I expected.
    Movie Crazy (1932) 6/10
    The Kid Brother (1927) 8/10 Saw these two old Harold Lloyd comedies at the Australian Cinematheque in Brisbane. the latter, being silent, was accompanied by live organ performance. Which was awesome. I think the comedy was much stronger in the pure pantomime of silent cinema as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    The Lives of Others - I've been wanting to watch this for a long time, but I ended up hating it. It's about an East German playwright who subversively writes something critical of the GDR to be smuggled into the West while being spied upon by a sympathetic Stasi officer. The film can't even take its authoritarian antagonists seriously to the point of throwing in a rape scene just so you know who the bad guys are. The stakes are low, the protagonist is wooden, the music demands more emotion than is there, and deus ex machina is more deadly than communism.

Damn, there's more, but I don't want to start spamming here with everything.

Watched it yesterday. Well, I agree, it just felt somewhat hokey and attempting to be very dramatic when it wasn't in reality.

Taking the Death Toll
    Where the hell are all these new members coming from?

Yeah, I dunno what did we do to deserve this influx

Scots, I thought you started the megathread trend confirm/deny

Yeah, youtube thread back in the day and maybe even the last gig/next gig thread.

But fuck, I didn't intend this discussion killing shite.

Maybe if we all ignore it, it will just go away

Saw "Me and Orson Welles" today. Was rather good. I was skeptical of the idea that anyone could pull off a convincing Orson Welles but the actor here manages it and it was no time at all before I accepted him as Orson. Zac Efron does rather well as the protagonist also. And the actor playing Joseph Cotton is such a spitting image that I recognised him as such before it was even pointed out by the dialogue. Somewhat weak ending but I think it's quite a good mythologising of Welles' pre-cinema days, and has a nice 1930s feel without overdoing it. 8/10

Anyone watching Louie CK's new show? It's flawed but it's learning episode to episode and improving pretty steadily. I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

The Outfit, with Robert Duval and Joe Don Baker:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071960/

Recently, yes circa in 1988-1992 (recently for sure, don't bitch), Treasure of silver lake (Der Schatz im Silbersee 1962), if I recall right the woman in the end is the devil and the gold is cursed.
    Run.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056452/

Ooops forgot that, I had that in mind but it slipped away some how.
    Last edited by Martin Karne; 15th Aug 2010 at 03:16.

Taking the Death Toll
    You know, for a show like Millennium, which generally speaking makes Criminal Minds look like the Polka Dot Door, to have a comedy episode like "Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense" feels almost delightfully sinful, like fingerbanging your girlfriend in her parents' bedroom or something.

Page 36 of 209 FirstFirst ... 6111621263132333435363738394041465156616671768186136 ... LastLast