TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 39 of 202 FirstFirst ... 49141924293435363738394041424344495459646974798489139 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Kitsch implies tackiness... I think "whimsical" might be more appropriate. But even so, the show seems to be getting more sombre as it progresses. Can you explain what you mean with the inflation/brevity comparison?

Jennine Turner from that show is from my hometown and we (or they) can run into her sometimes. She's friends with my 5th grade teacher, which usually doesn't mean anything except that he is best friends with my mother, so we can always hear what's going on with her from him. She's apparently on the low-down these days, spending time on the ranch or something. It'd be great if she made a comeback; she was one of those rising stars that sort of disappeared but still talented.

Yes, you're right, whimsy is the better word. What I meant by brevity is the first two seasons are only 8 and 7 episodes long whereas the third through sixth seasons are all around 24-25 episodes.

You mean Janine Turner? I'd say she's far from being on the down-low, and is quite the activist for conservative ideals. Her and her daughter recently formed an organization called "Constituting America" with the goal of "educating" Americans about the U.S. Constitution.

Man, I would have done anything for a signed copy of her panties back when that show was on air, though. Hot!

...now I want em' just because she's a right-wing lunatic.

Oh. I guess that kind of thing is such standard fare in Texas it wasn't considered news worthy. Well whatever; I was trying to be obliging in pretending that I care about her, anyway. Who knew that people associated with Alaska could be so kookishly conservative, though?

Honestly, her acting is far from the high point of the show... If I had to pick the top-thespian, it'd be Barry Corbin (Maurice), or maybe John Cullum (Holling). Actually, whoever plays Ruth-Anne is really good, too.

Moderator and Priest
    Ha, if I wasn't right and Rubicon went ahead and ended up amazing. The slow burn is justified in that it had to show all the characters involved, get in their heads, show all the connections, and the ebb and flow of the US intelligence community (which I have no idea if it's a true representation, but it's convincing if it's not) for the climax to really hit you good. Everything makes sense when it all comes down to the big moment, and you know exactly how it arrived there.

I hope the show gets a second season, because if not, then Rubicon will end up on just about the biggest downer I've seen on TV. Sorry everyone, we had nothing but good intentions and tried our best. We really did. But sometimes our best isn't good enough, our brightest aren't bright enough, and the bad guys end up winning despite everything we've done.

Snuggleh.

I only saw one episode but was cautiously optimistic from what I saw (70s paranoia thriller slow burn in comparison to shitty 24 style conspiracy its-the-mole bullshit). I've got about 5/6 eps, I'll get the rest and watch 'em all.

Mr. Nobody

I cannot find words to describe this movie, I would be hard pressed if I had to write a review of it or even summarize what the story is about. There are not many movies like this one. Even if the narrative and ideas that it touches upon don't grab you like they did me, it's also a very visually striking movie, worth seeing just for that. Just go see it and tell us what you think. This might have the potential to become a cult classic if it gets more exposure.

Stars Jared Leto, Sarah Polley, Diane Kruger (she's way hot in this movie), Rhys Ifans, among others.

EDIT: this woman sells the movie better than I can.
    Last edited by Harvester; 20th Oct 2010 at 20:50.

I've come to really enjoy Fringe (we're almost at the end of season 2). It's obviously no The Wire, Sopranos or Deadwood, but IMO it's developed from an X Files knock-off into its own thing, the actors have grown with their parts (and John Noble was great to begin with) and the ongoing mythology definitely keeps things interesting and exciting.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty bored with a second viewing of Lost S6. For one thing, the plotting is way too flabby (if you're going to introduce new characters this late in the game, either make better use of them or cut them to begin with), for another it's too clear that 90% of the overall story has no real bearing whatsoever on what's going on now. The hatch? The button? The Dharma Initiative? The whole time travel bit? None of these matter much when it comes to Jacob and his brother - and the sideways universe doesn't really connect either. It's a story that could be told about any characters with any kind of background. I'm starting to understand the frustration many had with the last 1-2 seasons of Battlestar Galactica, because I'm coming to feel the same way about Lost.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    I've come to really enjoy Fringe (we're almost at the end of season 2). It's obviously no The Wire, Sopranos or Deadwood, but IMO it's developed from an X Files knock-off into its own thing, the actors have grown with their parts (and John Noble was great to begin with) and the ongoing mythology definitely keeps things interesting and exciting.
    Ahh, Fringe. By the end of season 1, I thought it was a neat little show. Nothing mindblowing, but definitely entertaining. By the end of season 2, my mind was blown, and I thought it was straight up grand. Season 3 has done nothing but improve my opinion of the show thus far.

Is it another Breaking Bad or The Wire? No, but who cares? It's still a great show in its own right. It might not be up there with the best of the best, but it's a nice entry in the damn good, worth watching category.

Also Sons of Anarchy is good too.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just rewatched what is probably my favourite western ever, Gunfight. Kirk Douglas and Johnny Cash play a couple of old gunslingers who happen to meet in a small town. The locals immediately start putting down bets on which of these two legends would win in a shootout, though the men themselves aren't particularly inclined to fight. They even become friends, but life on the thin and narrow has been hard on these two. Both are hard up for cash, and eventually the idea of having a gunfight, and charging entry, forms. The winner takes the proceeds, the loser won't need any.

That sounds really good, henke. Must look that up.

I just finished Mad Men season 1, which made up for its peaks and troughs in the first half with a sustained stretch of awesome towards the end.

I've got Spaced, Mad Men s2, Northern Exposure s3-8, Dexter s5 if I can be bothered downloading anymore but I'm hearing bad things, and a ton of movies - especially Scorcese - to watch.
    Last edited by Scots Taffer; 23rd Oct 2010 at 21:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Dexter s5 if I can be bothered downloading anymore
    "surprise motherfucker!"

It's atrociously bad, but it's bad in the same way it's always been bad. The good points haven't been as satisfying or frequent, but they have potential. I have it on my download queue, and (especially now that MAd Men is done) I have time free to watch on Mondays, so I'm sticking it out. As always, extremely low expectations. If I have four "that was fucking cool" moments in the next 7 weeks, I'll be content. This past week had a couple, just in time to restore my faith.

Sons of Anarchy's third season has been great, it builds on season two, which I thought was amazing. Reasonably well acted, and superb plot twists with authentic enough motivations - even if some of the actions are over the top.

Terriers is also pretty damn good. I'm a sucker for Donal Logue, and it's by the writer for the Shield, so I can see the building blocks for a rather complex arc starting to fall into place halfway through the first season, even if the episodes so far have consisted of 70% one-off material.

And I'm re-watching the Wire. DirecTV is showing it on The 101, formatted for Widescreen HD, and my GF's never seen it. They're just starting the 2nd season now.

It's been taking up space on my DVR since July, so I finally had to hold the last two episodes of Mad Men hostage to get her to start watching, but we've powered through the first season in a week and she's sad that we're all caught up. It gets better with every run through.

And I can't fucking say it enough, but Boardwalk Empire is awesome. Prohibition era gangsters, Scorsese directing, Omar playing a colored moonshiner, and Steve Buscemi absolutely OWNING it as a political boss - rivaling Swearengen and Tony Soprano as an anti-hero. Loosely based on real-life, it's got (a young incarnation of) Al Capone, Lucky Luciano and Arnold Rothstein, in what's building up to be a pretty complex plot.

Taking a break
    I watched The Rock and was utterly flabbergasted that it was directed by Michael Bay.

Ceej, you know I'll be checking out Boardwalk Empire as soon as it wraps up. I'm not a fan of watching shows as they are running when I've got complete stuff I can watch. Good to hear it's kicking ass though.

Don't think I'd be able to take another run at The Wire without having some good distance. I only saw it in its entirety in one straight run through last year and that was just weeks upon weeks of it all on DVD.

Yeah, I last ran through the entire series in late 2007, in prep for the final season, and that was almost 3 years ago for me. I also was in between jobs at the time, so I had LOTS of time on my hand for a morning-noon-night marathon.

The great thing about this run is that, other than clearing out that first bulk on my DVR, we're sticking to the HD broadcasts on DirecTV, which provides a natural brake on overindulgence.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    I watched The Rock and was utterly flabbergasted that it was directed by Michael Bay.
    Bay is a lot like Lucas: Both use CGI as a crutch to make up for sub-par storytelling, and the better that crutch the more they lean on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    Mr. Nobody

I cannot find words to describe this movie, I would be hard pressed if I had to write a review of it or even summarize what the story is about. There are not many movies like this one. Even if the narrative and ideas that it touches upon don't grab you like they did me, it's also a very visually striking movie, worth seeing just for that. Just go see it and tell us what you think. This might have the potential to become a cult classic if it gets more exposure.

Stars Jared Leto, Sarah Polley, Diane Kruger (she's way hot in this movie), Rhys Ifans, among others.

EDIT: this woman sells the movie better than I can.
    I completely disagree on this one. It's a convoluted mess of a movie about nothing. It's just a play on basic metaphysics that gets old to anyone who has ever even slightly delved into it. The movie would deliver, if the romantic arc or characters growth would deliver, but they don't, because all the characters (excluding Rhys Ivan playing Nemo's dad) in the film are blank and dull offering no resonance for the viewer to latch on to. It's romantic mumbo-jumbo. The cinematography et al are impressive, but turn into mess because of overuse of extremities, which just confuses the watcher even more.

I watched the longer version. The general attitude seems to be that the shorter one is better and I think it is, if cuts out any of the unnecessary crap this movie has.
    Last edited by Kuuso; 30th Oct 2010 at 19:08.

Taking the Death Toll
    Just got done with X-Files season 5 and Millennium S2. I'm planning on watching a lot of movies over the next couple months, and I think first out the door will probably be Jacob's Ladder or something.

Working my way through the X-Files too - nearing the end of season 1 at the moment. Such a brilliant show. My friend was talking about how he felt the show was a eulogy to curiosity. I thought that was a really nice way of interpreting it

@dethtoll: Will you be watching Millennium S3? It's the one I've shied away from so far, having heard mostly bad things about it.

Taking the Death Toll
    Yes, but not 'til next year. I watch the shows in order of air date, alongside X-Files, and I don't have X-Files season 6 yet. I collect them as gifts at Christmas time.

Quote Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
    Oh yeah, Community is a genius show - rivalling Scrubs.
    Don't know why this hasn't come up more, I just watched the whole first season. Just catching up to the second which is ongoing.

Rivalling Scrubs? It's about ten times better. Certainly an amount of Arrested Development vibe about it in terms of meta references, etc. It's kind of a comedy about the clichés and tropes of sitcoms and TV in general, but the characters and their interplay are genuinely endearing.

Also the new season of It's Always Sunny has been a bit underwhelming, although the latest couple of episodes are pretty good (Who got Dee Pregnant? and The Gang gets a new member).

Just started watching Stargate SG-1. It's... interesting. It's a different take on sci-fi, by putting it in a contemporary setting, and it has some neat subversions of typical sci-fi tropes, but it's so-so. It seems interesting and the pilot was pretty good but I just saw some shit with Mongols that makes me wonder if each new planet is going to be a special 'planet of hats'.

Page 39 of 202 FirstFirst ... 49141924293435363738394041424344495459646974798489139 ... LastLast