TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 41 of 209 FirstFirst ... 611162126313637383940414243444546515661667176818691141 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 5203

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Level 10,000 achieved
    1000th post in quite epic thread

I saw Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom on TV the other day. It was good.

epic 1000thsie fail

I'm currently rewatching Deadwood and remembering why I loved the series so much in the first place. Ask me again once I'm watching S3, though, with its flabbier plotting (Langrishe's theatre troupe) and the premature death of the series and I'll be full of expletives, deleted or otherwise.

Still, any excuse to give Brian Cox a part has to have some merit.

Level 10,000 achieved
    scots likes cox.

and cocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Still, any excuse to give Brian Cox a part has to have some merit.
    I love Cox as much as the next guy but the storyline was such a waste of time. The character was nice enough, and Cox was great with McShane, but you could've pretty much cut everything related to the theatre troupe without losing much in the way of story or theme. The series wasn't usually so... wasteful, for want of a better word, with its characters.

2001: A Space Odyssey.

Very late to the party, clearly.

I've seen this movie probably twice before in snippets caught haphazardly over the years but permanently hamstrung by my staying power to get through the sheer length of it. For a 2 hour 20 minute movie, it feels a whole lot longer - minutes worth of black screen where strings and voices swirl threateningly are great for atmosphere in short doses but here end up bordering on torture treatment not unlike a less interesting version of A Clockwork Orange.

Ponderous doesn't begin to capture it really, does it? Glacial comes close but is probably still too expedient sounding a term. That said, I do feel conflicted criticising the movie on the basis of its pacing. While it may deliberately take its time in drawing the scene and giving a sense of scale to the events, narratively the movie positively blisters through millions of years worth of story.

Kubrick gives a sense of gravitas to almost every scene, which is appropriate in spades where it aligns with the thematic content but is utterly bewildering and frankly, fucking boring when it doesn't. The level of care in the detail and science of how deep space exploration works was revolutionary for its time, I imagine. I don't think any movie has come quite this close to depicting the true banality of space travel as well as this, yet not made the entire thing a waste of the audience's time by boring the living fuck out of them - though it did come perilously close to losing me more than once.

In terms of brave storytelling the dawn of man sequence seguing into modern man's next awakening or stage of evolution is still powerful today, even if the message gets somewhat muted in the delivery by a whole series of fairly pointless scenes on the circling doughnut space station. I get that Kubrick likes to portray almost all facets of human interaction as meaningless bureaucratic twaddle while the interactions of machines and the emptiness of space are filled with a childlike wonder and sense of true beauty, but what that does is distance the audience from any human core in the storytelling and makes the experience cold yet enjoyable, like an academic pursuit.

The ending is ultimately a source of concern for me though, and I can't help thinking it fails to satisfy what comes before it. In building a picture of man's evolution through alien and machine interaction in such bold, broad strokes that then gives way to a bad acid trip and playing with the perspective of time in a disco floor hotel room through the lens of one man (who we never really know and hence can't care terribly about) feels like the grandness of the tale lost its way in the conclusion.

Also, Kubrick's unwillingness to spell anything out causes needless confusion... is the monolith over Saturn the same one that was on the Moon or a different one? Did he "enter" the monolith or did the alignment of the planets (a sequence repeated twice before) trigger the "beyond the infinite"? Is there something in the planetary alignment that speaks about a higher force yet again? Is mankind bound to evolve into Star Children or is it the new "monolith" for the next evolutionary step? I don't know, and no one does clearly as evidenced by the number of theories that abound on the internet.

Ultimately it was an interesting but unmoving experience. I doubt I'll ever revisit it and while I can appreciate the level of technical craftmanship involved in the project, it doesn't feel complete to me.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    The ending is ultimately a source of concern for me though, and I can't help thinking it fails to satisfy what comes before it. In building a picture of man's evolution through alien and machine interaction in such bold, broad strokes that then gives way to a bad acid trip and playing with the perspective of time in a disco floor hotel room through the lens of one man (who we never really know and hence can't care terribly about) feels like the grandness of the tale lost its way in the conclusion.
    I'm not entirely with you for the rest of your post, but I agree with this 100%. It's a load of needless symbolism that could have been executed in so many ways, yet they went for the psychedelic nonsense route that seemed to have been designed specifically to get snobby art house fags arguing about it. What's especially hilarious is every time someone says they didn't like the ending, berets flip and brandy snifters crash to the floor as the Kubrick fans scramble over one another to be the first to scream WELL YOU JUST DIDN'T GET IT.

Sorry, but no. I get it. I just don't like it, and I think it was a stupid way of ending the film when it was doing so well as it is.

Just FYI, nerds: not every movie has to be full of obscure symbolism to be "deep."

Weird, I just picked up the 2001 blu-ray on Sunday and watched it for the first time in a couple of years last night (last time was a 70mm print shown at the Cineramadome in Hollywood).

There's an analysis that I kind of love of the film (that I can't seem to find a link to for the life of me right now), that goes into how the ratio of the monolith's dimensions (1 by 4 by 9. Though I noticed that's never stated outright in the film. It's mentioned in the book, and they say it a LOT in 2010: Odyssey Two) match the Cinerama ratio in which the film was shot, thus making the solid black screen during the Overture and immediately after the Intermission the monolith (made more explicit when the monolith orbiting Jupiter is sideways instead of upright), the point being that film is as transformative a metaphysical experience for the audience as the monoliths have been to those who have interacted with them in the film itself.

And this time around I was struck by the sneaky optimism of Heywood Floyd's chat with the Russian scientists on the space Hilton. For a movie made in '68 to posit that in 33 years the Cold War would be completely over, and we'd be that friendly with the Russians, but not in a Star Trek hippy cosmic love world peace way, was pretty nice.

Yeah, it's kind of ponderous, but it's a movie that I kind of love to just immerse myself in the world of (additional space nerd note: the shape of the tail of the Earth-to-space station shuttle almost exactly matches the shape of the weird aerodynamic cowl thing that they would stick over the actual space shuttle's engines when transporting it on the back of a 747. A good 10 years before the shuttle itself would've been public knowledge).

Taking the Death Toll
    Doubleposting but hell it's a separate topic- guess not

Finally got around to watching Avatar tonight.

Verdict: dumb green Aesop over very pretty graphics (nothing I haven't seen before though) but not a bad movie. It's nothing I'm chomping at the bit to see again, but hell at least I can say I've seen it. I mean, it's not a life-changing experience and it's not the downfall of Western cinema (though I gotta say, some of those people killing themselves over this movie and the whole Navikin thing leaves me vacillating between lying awake at night in silent horror or laughing until I shit myself.)

I can't think of a more transparent, cliched character than the military guy, though. At least the company guy sorta looked like he felt guilty for not feeling guilty.

One thing about the film I did like was the whole bioluminescence thing going on. And I'm not sure many people caught on to this but the lights of the forest at night weren't exactly dissimilar to the lights of the Earth sequences, all the Blade Runner-esque neon signs and crazy hololiths and shit. They're even the same color.

Oh, also. Unobtanium, Cameron? Really?

Two things:
    - Green?
    - Unobtanium

Taking the Death Toll

Ah, I thought you were Blue Green colour blind for a minute.

Remember a year ago when everyone was losing their shit over Avatar and it was the biggest movie ever and it even won some Academy Awards and James Cameron was all YYYEEAAAAHHHHFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUHHH---UNNNHHHH

Now when I see it playing at Best Buy I can't believe I'm not actually watching a cutscene from the associated videogame.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    Remember a year ago when everyone was losing their shit over Avatar and it was the biggest movie ever ....
    Now when I see it playing at Best Buy I can't believe I'm not actually watching a cutscene from the associated videogame.
    Can I feel smug, now?

Last night I watched, The Eclipse, a "horror" film out of Ireland. While watching it, my thoughts were what a well-done little film: good acting, good story, and some well-placed moments of fright that we're totally unseen in their coming. But, once the film ended, I honestly don't see the reason for the few "scary moments" other than just to have a few "scary moments" thrown in to make the audience jump. The film would actually be better without them.

And to cleanse palette of the bad taste that left in my mouth, I then watched, Today We Live, a Howard Hawks wartime drama written by William Faulkner. A wonderful film set in WWI, starring Gary Cooper and Joan Crawford (without the wire hangers). While the leap of Crawford's character (Ann) immediately falling in love with Cooper, without any sort of courtship or interaction beyond Cooper, who's moving into her family home, being shown the house on the day that Ann receives notification of her father being killed in action, is a bit odd the rest of the film is top-notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Queue View Post
    Can I feel smug, now?
    Nobody gets points for not having fun first.

I'm going to say it again, but it's worth it. Watch last year's season of Community, then catch up to this year's.

Oh my oh my, I just watched Moon.

Taking the Death Toll
    So Predators was surprisingly good.

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

Ninja Assassin A bloody sword swinging romp through buckets of gore. Much fun.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2358117401/

Chakat sex pillow
    I decided to wrap up Six Feet Under tonight.

I'm late to the party. Never was interested in it while it was airing on TV, because it sounded like a quirky bunch of non sequiturs about drama and death sewn together with black comedy for connective tissue, so it rated a 'meh' on my scale. Also, it wasn't science fiction.

I've watched a lot of mediocre TV in my life that I'm so sick of subpar, telegraphed plot twists and cheap laughs and personality-less acting, that I'll probably never see primetime syndicated TV again in any regular fashion unless there's something special coming on.

I didn't want to watch Six Feet Under, but after going through the Wire and being summarily exhausted by its exhaustive depiction of bureaucracy, backroom dealing, and politics brewing behind the scenes of good honest police work, and the five hundred other characters and the unflinching reality of their lives, I needed something quirky and detached. So I dived in to Six Feet Under - HBO, Alan Ball, maybe that's another winning combination, right? At the very least, it'd be funny.

Fuck me for being an idiot. I've never been sucked into a show where I'd watch three, four episodes on a day off - maybe Farscape's end of season climaxes were the exception - but this show's first season was a launching point, one that rocketed me into the inescapable gravitational pull of its soul-crushing core.

It's not the best-written series ever. Oh god, no. Too many writers with not enough of a unifying vision between them, so the plots arced in the wrong directions so many times, lost steam and sputtered and almost ground to a halt so many times. But the show's core never failed to keep it going - the paths of its flawed, beautiful, funny, sometimes oblivious, sometimes broken, sometimes achingly tragic characters.

And they were written like actual characters - real people, with things about them that you absolutely fucking hate, and at the same time that you absolutely fucking love. People, trying, coping, failing, dealing with everything life and death threw at them. Acting? There was no acting in this show. These were just people living. And with a show so focused on death, nothing could be so perfect, so completely fitting as that fact. After that first season, I knew I had to go on watching.

So tonight, I thought, would be a good time to see the Fisher family off - with the birth of a new year, I'd say goodbye to these brilliant, complex characters I've come to know and their cracked, imperfect lives. And I'd move on. Bye bye.

I saw the final episode of Six Feet Under tonight.

There has been nothing on TV that has affected me much.

Nothing, except for the final five minutes of this show. The beautiful, most heartwrenching final five minutes of anything I've ever seen on a screen.

I saw the final episode of Six Feet Under tonight.

My eyes won't be dry for a while.

Yeah Six Feet Under was a good comedy until the drama started to dominate around the second season or so.
    Either way I dragged myself around to watch it completely a very long time ago.

Right now I'm watching One Step Beyond, which was way before my time and was passable, a bit like the original Twilight Zone.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Reign of Assassins

John Woo's movies have only been getting more and more disappointing with the years, so it's perhaps a good thing this one is only co-directed by the man. This is a wire-fu flick starring Michelle Yeoh and Jung Woo-Sung(best know as "The Good", in The Good, The Bad, The Weird). It's no Crouching Tiger though, the swordfighting is a bit uninspired. Surprisingly it's the characters and the plot that are this movie's strong side. As for the actionscenes, there's really only one that stuck with me, this one. Slightly spoilerific, so if you're planning on watching this movie you might not want to click it.

The bitch and I started watching Dexter, Nip/Tuck, and Lost off of streaming netflix this last month. All starting from season 1, and we have never seen them before. So far, she is putting Nip/Tuck at the top of her list, and I am saying Dexter is the best of the 3. We are only on episode 2 of Lost, 1/2 done with the season of Dex, and on the last couple episodes of season 1 of Nip/Tuck.

Dexter is great imo - although it does feel like a guilty pleasure at times. Seasons 1 and 4 are the best.

Nip/Tuck is definitely a guilty pleasure, and by the end you will have seen everything ridiculous under the sun, but the characters are likeable/hateable/interesting enough to be worth watching. Also it's one of the few TV shows I've stuck with to the end of their run that has a good, satisfying ending...

...unlike Lost, which has massive ups and massive downs, and is ruined by the ending imo.

Still, you've got plenty of good TV coming up!

Page 41 of 209 FirstFirst ... 611162126313637383940414243444546515661667176818691141 ... LastLast