TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 42 of 206 FirstFirst ... 2712172227323738394041424344454647525762677277828792142 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 5136

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Having the luxury of one afternoon together with our daughter safely in the hands of her grandmother we went to see Of Gods and Men (no idea why they had to switch the order of words from the original french title "Des hommes et des dieux"?). And while I don't agree with some critics that see the displayed faith of the monks as some sort of ideal, I'm impressed in another way by the portrait of their complex characters.

The American: I probably would have enjoyed this film if the trailer hadn't misrepresented it to such heights. Somehow they took this mostly quiet, slow-paced introspective film (that remained horribly predictable from fifteen minutes in and onward) and turned it into a fast-paced action flick. I was honestly expecting something along the line of Taken with a frosted-haired Clooney, instead of the soy sauce-haired Neeson.

ZARDOZ or: Sean Connery runs around in his underpants.

wtf

best avatar pic ever?

You are an evil, evil man.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Hah, I had to google that and I found this: Zardoz in 10 minutes

Fascinating!

Firefly marathon on Ovation today if you're in the US and have cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    1989's Sexiest Man Alive.

Watched the last five episodes of Caprica on Hulu. The climax with the Cylon takedown of the STO suicide bombers in the stadium was pretty fucking awesome. I would've really liked to see the proper end to Lacey's story of taking over the monotheist church on Gemenon.

Between cancelling this and Stargate: Universe, Syfy is really on a roll of being completely fucking stupid over the past few months.
    Of couse, when you enter Parliament, you will all also be ripped to the teats on fine cocaine...

Still Subjective
    Yeah, I still cannot believe that V is ongoing whilst Stargate Universe has been canceled.

Caprica is only just better than V though, and by that I mean it's rubbish.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm currently into 4 episodes into Season 3 of Battlestar Galactica. Having vague memories of the old series back in the early 80's, I was somewhat taken aback by the all out grimness this new series puts out on a regular basis.

Really great so far, though. Surprisingly so, in fact. I wasn't expecting it to be as nearly as good as it's been.

That was my reaction as well ... complete surprise that it was much better than I expected, and managed to be consistently so. It happens sometimes too that they'll do something stupid in the show (especially as the series goes on and they paint themselves into corners), and it'll surprise me again, this time that it's still a normal t.v. show and subject to dumb things too, and I'll yell at it as if it had some kind of obligation to stay top-notch 100% of the time every time. But on the whole, yeah, great show.

BTW, I mentioned it before, but I met one of the creators at a party (I didn't believe it was really him until confirmed later), but at the time I hadn't started watching the show and everyone was talking about it and wanted to give their theory, and all I thought was, wtf kind of characters are named #1, #2, #3...

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    It happens sometimes too that they'll do something stupid in the show (especially as the series goes on and they paint themselves into corners), and it'll surprise me again, this time that it's still a normal t.v. show and subject to dumb things too, and I'll yell at it as if it had some kind of obligation to stay top-notch 100% of the time every time. But on the whole, yeah, great show.
    I'm already steeling myself for the last half of the 4th season, when I hear the whole thing goes into pulled out of our ass exposition mode. But if it's good up to that point (and it hasn't given me a single reason to roll my eyes yet), I'm willing to forgive a botched ending.

Kinda like what I did with Lost.

Music and Lyrics

Don't bother if you hate romantic comedies, but if you like romantic comedies that are actually funny (unlike stuff like You've Got Mail or Serendipity which hardly contain a single good joke), like I do, I recommend this movie to watch with your loved one or date. Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore give good performances, the supporting cast is also good, and the movie is not only romantic but actually very funny (IMO) with lots of quotable lines. The 80's style music video that opens the movie is hysterical (you can also find it on YouTube).

Again, if you've never liked any romantic comedy this one is probably not going to sway you, but otherwise I recommend it. It's me and my gf's favorite romantic comedy and even many other guys I know like it.

Awesome, I'll have a look at that.

In terms of romantic comedies I can recommend the 2004 remake of "Alfie" with Jude Law. It's not a typical romantic comedy, that is it has more of a male view and no happy couple at the end but that's what made it interesting. Don't bother with the original Alfie, it aged very badly.
    Last edited by Kolya; 17th Jan 2011 at 07:50.

I hope you and your girlfriend enjoy the movie.

But understand that it's not a movie that tries to redefine the genre, it doesn't break any boundaries. It's very much a standard romantic comedy, just a very well-executed one, and even that is just my opinion so YMMV.

Over the last couple of days, we watched the first two films of the Red Riding trilogy, a crime story set in Yorkshire spanning the years from 1974 to 1983. Great production values, good acting; the films are a bit like taking the best parts of Zodiac and LA Confidential and putting them together. The Yorkshire dialect is impenetrable at times, though - I wish they'd given us subtitles on the DVD...

Red Riding is awesome.

That is all.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    In terms of romantic comedies I can recommend the 2004 remake of "Alfie" with Jude Law.
    Yes, good one! Jude Law is so dislikeable and likeable at the same time in that one.
    Last edited by henke; 18th Jan 2011 at 12:56.

Just watched Repulsion for the first time after seeing Shakey-Lo's desktop in the "Pimp Your Desktop" thread. That movie was fantastic - never heard of it before.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yes, good one! Jude Law is so dislikeable and likeable at the same time in that one.
    Yeah, although it does get a bit moralistic in the end, where he says that all these women always gave to him and he never gave anything back to them. I felt that just wasn't true: The women also enjoyed their time with him and were proud to have him, even if it didn't last. Then again it's still a rather upbeat ending and it didn't really impair it.

Also I re-cut a scene with Sienna here, that you might like: http://www.schwarzsilber.de/#[[Atlas...Kid%20Klimax]]
    Slightly NSFW.

Just saw the Black Swan. What a totally average movie. I'm not sure what bugged me more, the incredibly heavy handed use of black/white symbolism throughout the film, or the totally average use of sound design to build tension. There was a lot of really interesting things going on here, but as per usual Aronofsky buries it under a pile of melodrama (a la Requiem). At the beginning, all the sequences focusing on the ankles and shoes gave me hope we might be in for some more of the insight that he delivered in The Wrestler, but it wasn't long before it became apparent this has been done to death before. The ballet sequences themselves were fantastic, if a little heavy on the shakey cam.

The more distance I have from that film, the more problems I have with it. I agree about the sound design - almost pushed it in the realm of shock-horror jump-sounds - but didn't you think Portman's performance at least deserving of some praise and elevated it beyond the completely average?

I rewatched Primer last night; still think the first act is a fucking horrible drag and wish they knew how to edit sound because the conversations are seriously difficult to hear. Apart from that, it really starts to work as soon as they show you Abe's double leaving the storage for the first time and gets more and more confusing from there on out (in a good way). It doesn't make enough of certain scenes to give you the fullest picture of how out of control it gets (like Abe's girlfriend's father Granger having gone through time also, what the fuck, when, how, why) but it does neatly capture the horror that comes with the territory of this "real" take on time travel. The way they slowly become obsessed with making time unfold neatly in the way it did before so that they start controlling every detail retroactively and that then makes you question what actually happened of its own volition as opposed to being controlled into being, and when does the endless looping backwards stop. The ending is utterly weak though.

Still Subjective
    Oh God that awful sound, yes!

But what's wrong with the end?

I've just started watching Breaking Bad. This show is a contender so far!

Page 42 of 206 FirstFirst ... 2712172227323738394041424344454647525762677277828792142 ... LastLast