TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 46 of 209 FirstFirst ... 61116212631364142434445464748495051566166717681869196146 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 5203

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Nah, Piglick, he's nailed it. I mean, how bang on is this guy? I'm just an insipid douche who hates megathreads yet has multiple posts generally trying to spur on meaningful chatter on the prior page.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to start a new megathread "what have you scratched lately".

spoiler:
    It's my left nut

I'm sure it'll be a rip-roarer of self-generating content.

I feel I should say something meaningful here...

I just watched my girlfriends dark eyes; Very closely, because I painted an eye of ra around each one. It's Karneval here.
    Unfortunately I can't join her walking like an Egyptian, because I've gotta write a 4 hour test on Saturday, early morning. The bastards.

The Bangles

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    man, I'm guessing a virgin who lives with their parents? seriously dude thats how you come across. Stop this shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Nah, Piglick, he's nailed it. I mean, how bang on is this guy? I'm just an insipid douche who hates megathreads yet has multiple posts generally trying to spur on meaningful chatter on the prior page.
    Typical TTLG. I guess I just don't "get it" and therefore nothing I say is valid, right? Nope, I'm just some virginal shithead spewing endless natter that has no value or substance because HEY IT'S DETHTOLL THAT GUY IS A FAGGOT. Anybody can threadshit all they like while simultaneously complaining that TTLG is going down the shitter, (except me apparently) but how fucking dare I call them on it because I'm nothing more than a TROLOLO, right?

What the fuck ever.

just stick to gen gaming dude
    Last edited by PigLick; 3rd Mar 2011 at 18:37.

Antagonising people is fun.

no, not really, I wish it hadnt played out like this, but there ya go.

So, let's see whether this'll work.

Has anyone here seen Rango? I can definitely recommend that one. It's markedly different from the usual Pixar and Dreamworks animated fare and often absolutely gorgeous to look at - which is weird to some extent, because the character design often goes for what could be called "ugly". There's not a single character in there that's cute in the usual CGI way, but they've all got character. And the scenery and lighting work are amazing - you can clearly see Roger Deakins' influence in this one. (There's one character that didn't work for me visually, and unfortunately she's pretty central to the plot, but other than that there's little I didn't like.)

There are references to popular culture, but the film doesn't do the Dreamworks barrage of "Remember this movie? Isn't it funny that we're referencing it?" They're more integral to the plot. What there isn't, though, is the Pixar brand of sentimentality, which I have to say I've got somewhat tired of. (My favourite Pixar films are relatively light on sentimentality, at least compared to the others, and two of them directed by Brad Bird. Hmm...)

The film is definitely not for kids, though. I'm sure a clever 13- or 14-year old will enjoy it, but as far as I'm concerned there are little to no concessions to pre-teens. The humour is often verbal and/or absurd. And there's an owl Mariachi band acting as a Greek chorus - what's not to like about that?

I've just finished watching the world premiere of "Tomorrow When the War Began. Movie is a wonderful. Recommend to watch.

The Alchemist
    I recently upgraded my bandwidth so I've been doing a lot of movie streaming so here are some reviews:

The Walking Dead: Awesome show! I sat through the first season in one sitting. I love it, zombies are typically a good topic but it IS possible to make a shitty zombie movie, its happened before, but this show manages to have very high production quality and consistent thrills. My only gripe with the story is that the racist guy chained to the roof never comes back, maybe he'll show up in season 2, also the gang of chicanos protecting the elderly seems ridiculous that they can survive when even the military has failed. I'm desperately awaiting season 2.

Salt: Sub-par. Kinda crappy actually. Uninspired plot twists and bland action. Waste of time.

Battle Los Angeles: I attempted to see this yesterday with some friends and we all agreed to walk out about an hour into the movie. Terrible.

Skyline: What is it with movies that tend to come out with clones? Saving Private Ryan had Thin Red Line, LOTR had Harry Potter :P, anyway this movie is far better than Battle Los Angeles. Not an oscar winner but an entertaining flick with above average special effects and a fun story/pace.

Valhalla Rising: I'm a sucker for viking movies but this one was a little dull. It supposedly had deep symbolism but I was not that entertained. It wasn't terrible, however.

The Green Zone: This movie was pretty good, despite being blatant criticism on the war in Iraq (which I agree with). It's basically The Bourne Identity meets The Hurt Locker, but not as good as either film.

Gran Torino, surprise ending, loads of cute oriental girls.
    I expected to see a walking mummy, but no, he was capable of moving all by himself.
    Amazing.
    Go Clint Eastwood.
    Last edited by Martin Karne; 15th Mar 2011 at 19:08.

127 Hours: For an $18m budget they did a very good job of making this look like a low-grade made-for-TV documentary (with a few nice shots as exceptions). Danny tries to inject some great washes of humanity where they aren't appropriate and the way the story unfolds draws unforunate comparisons to the far superior Touching the Void. Franco does an okay job of grimacing and looking stoned/tired, but neither the film nor his performance were deserving of an oscar. Full props to Aron though, helluva ordeal.

I finally saw Johnny Mnemonic the first time, the poor man's Matrix.

I'm such a big cyberpunk fan it should have coasted on the setup alone, and it had the right ingredients in theory (except for the sentient dolphin; in no scenario is that ever a good idea, not HHGttG related anyway). But it just lost it. It smacked of one of those bad mid-80s 1-season tv series, and kept adding one bad piece after another, one more gratuitous wrinkle after another, and had the most ridiculous ending, the main bad guys just line up to take on the hero one at a time, beyond the point it's not even clear who's after what anymore, and that damn sentient dolphin in the background, just can't take it seriously.. And poor Ice-T completely missed his Laurence Fishburne Morpheus moment. Well, I guess it was worth it for the data point on cyberpunk culture, but it wasn't a good movie. I still hope Neuromancer gets made and it's better than this.

Typical TTLG. I guess I just don't "get it" and therefore nothing I say is valid, right? Nope, I'm just some virginal shithead spewing endless natter that has no value or substance because HEY IT'S DETHTOLL THAT GUY IS A FAGGOT.
    That sounds just about right for TTLG.

Taking the Death Toll
    what the fuck are you doing

don't fucking dredge up weeks-old bullshit just so you can practice being a pass-aggress turdsurfer

for once I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    poor Ice-T completely missed his Laurence Fishburne Morpheus moment. Well, I guess it was worth it for the data point on cyberpunk culture, but it wasn't a good movie.
    It has somewhat more decorum than his turn as a mutated kangaroo soldier in Tank Girl though.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I finally saw Johnny Mnemonic the first time, the poor man's Matrix.

I'm such a big cyberpunk fan it should have coasted on the setup alone, and it had the right ingredients in theory (except for the sentient dolphin; in no scenario is that ever a good idea, not HHGttG related anyway). But it just lost it. It smacked of one of those bad mid-80s 1-season tv series, and kept adding one bad piece after another, one more gratuitous wrinkle after another, and had the most ridiculous ending, the main bad guys just line up to take on the hero one at a time, beyond the point it's not even clear who's after what anymore, and that damn sentient dolphin in the background, just can't take it seriously.. And poor Ice-T completely missed his Laurence Fishburne Morpheus moment. Well, I guess it was worth it for the data point on cyberpunk culture, but it wasn't a good movie. I still hope Neuromancer gets made and it's better than this.
    I understand your pain, but maybe Cypher was somewhat closer to V.R.* without even being V.R. at all. Cyber-industrial-espionage at a great initial cost. There you can see Jeremy Northam going back to tech-action movies after The Net brought a vague idea of what the internet was and what it can do for you, now what would you do for the internet son?

*Virtual Reality silly what else.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    127 Hours: ... Danny tries to inject some great washes of humanity where they aren't appropriate...
    Huh. Sorry you didn't like it; I enjoyed the film a lot. I was wondering about the bit I've quoted, though - what scenes are you referring to?

I thought the opening and closing shots of tons of people at football games, walking the streets etc, were entirely inappropriate and just a waste of time. They had no context and served no purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    what the fuck are you doing

don't fucking dredge up weeks-old bullshit just so you can practice being a pass-aggress turdsurfer
    Damn, your right, it was weeks old. My bad. Forgive me though, I'm just trying to fit in here!

Anyways, I may see Paul this weekend since Pegg and Frost's last two films were hilarious. I look forward to seeing what everyone else's impressions are.

Air Doll, a Japanese movie about a blow up doll that becomes, alive surprising her owner and going around town discovering true love, or that is what she thinks love is... you gotta see it to understand.

http://www.alivenotdead.com/derektsa...le-143509.html

This kind of doll, looks almost alive.

Taking the Death Toll
    oh god what

this is unfathomable even for you Martin

Just watch the movie instead of commenting without knowing.

Taking the Death Toll
    i don't want to know

Ok, you assume things that are not, so be it.

Page 46 of 209 FirstFirst ... 61116212631364142434445464748495051566166717681869196146 ... LastLast