TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 48 of 205 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384344454647484950515253586368737883889398148 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 5122

Thread: What have you watched lately?

I watched "Explorers" with Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix on Youtube last night. Ethan Hawke sounded like a girl back in 1985. I love those nerdy computer centric '80s movies.

Oh you reminded me of that movie, sure I found it cool when it came out, but now I see it as a kiddie oriented movie.

Taking the Death Toll
    Haha, the X-Files season 6 episode "How the Ghosts Stole Christmas" is brilliant. I don't think the X-Files has ever really done a proper ghost episode before as far as I can remember- the closest I can think of is an episode in season 2, but that wasn't so much a proper, old-fashioned ghost story.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by theBlackman View Post
    Of course it is. The point you miss is that EvaUnit02 has a hard-on against anything promoting the USA or its politics.

In fact nearly anything the USA does, says, or its founders thought.

So, dethtoll's sarcasm is well-founded.
    Where the fuck have I ever suggested that I hate the USA? Christ, you must be absolutely senile.

Fucking Christ, it was just a list of bad Hollywood Blockbuster film cliches, don't put words into other people's mouths.

I just watched Monsters, an ultra low budget, genuine sci-fi written, directed and SFXed by Gareth Edwards. Using only an outline as a guide and two professional actors, it was shot in found locations around South and Central America.

Edwards has a great cinematic eye and there are some lovely compositions. Shot guerrilla style in natural lighting with a single, mostly hand held camera, Edwards applied the Lapage method of improvising scenes with local, non-actors (shooting about 100 to 1), then editing each scene and eventually the entire film based on where the moment went. This unpredictability gives the film a genuine documentary feel. As with a doc, editing and organising the vast amount of raw footage was the real work.

His special effects are mostly invisible (modified roadsigns, debris in the trees, even bloody hand prints) and the obvious special effects, like the monsters themselves, are largely hinted at, relying on that neglected human faculty, imagination. Thankfully the film doesn't have that polished and predictable blockbuster luster (heroes with chiseled features and fashionista ninja bitches, punched up dialogue, and of course, floor to ceiling alien blood guts and gore).

People seem to love or hate the film. The haters mostly complain about the absence of the cliches I just listed. So if you thought that Skyline was pure filmacious brilliance, you won't enjoy Monsters. If you have an adult attention span, there's a good chance you will. It's not perfect but it is a remarkable achievement.

I've watched the entire series of An Idiot Abroad. Karl Pilkington reluctantly seeks out the wonders of the world and sums up the Great Wall of China as the "all right wall of China".

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Where the fuck have I ever suggested that I hate the USA? Christ, you must be absolutely senile.
    Really? You don't recall any slant at all in that direction in the past?

And you called him senile. Not that I give enough of a shit to dig through old posts but it was what made dethys zing so funny.

Uh... to contribute I just watched some chick squeeze full closed beer cans until they burst on the Tonight Show. Yeah, not Shakespeare, but impressive nonetheless.

I just watched the first 2 episodes of Band of Brothers. some chatting about it on here as well as a conversation between David Schwimmer and Jimmy Fallon on late night prompted me to seek it out.

I didn't realize that it was based on a book by Ambrose. I've actually read 4 of his books back when i was in high school. Thus far I'm impressed with the show.

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Really? You don't recall any slant at all in that direction in the past?

And you called him senile. Not that I give enough of a shit to dig through old posts but it was what made dethys zing so funny.[...]
    I have to back Tocky up on this one, and Dethtoll had it right. As for senility you should be so lucky as to have the mental acumen I possess when you get to forty.

At least I live in the real world and recognize the value of getting the facts before shooting my mouth off with attitudes and conspiracy theories gained from the National Inquirer and other such scandal sheets.

Evaunit zinged by the Blackman, what the hell is going on

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    Welcome aboard Piglick.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Oh, and Community is pretty much the funniest sitcom I've run across since Arrested Development!
    I've only seen one episode of Arrested Development and I didn't find it funny at all. However, it was an episode from the middle of season 2 and I was drunk at the time, so it was hardly optimal viewing conditions. Nevertheless your recomendation got me watching Community. It's pretty good, occasionally brilliant(mostly thanks to Abed). The Spanish Rap and the Batman closing-montage I've had to go back and rewatch a few times, they're just so perfect.

Also found some really good outtakes: The Best Questions to ask Batman

Like Community all you want, but dismissing Arrested Development like that just made you dead to me.

Catfish.

Fuck me. Spoilers follow.

It's horribly manipulative. The worst human beings in all of this are the NY hipsters who premeditated this exploitative documentary and not the poor woman who escaped reality by deluding others regarding her imagined existence and family life.

I don't know what's worse, the lengthy and painfully obvious fake segments that lead-up to the soul crushing reality, or the way that while the poor woman is pouring her heart out, totally giving over to an emotionally crushing and personality withering honesty, that Nev sits there with that same fucking shit-eating idiot grin that he wears for the first half of the movie like it's all just part of the plan.

And that's the aggravating part of it, it is. Like these savvy bastards didn't google shit early on and right away realise they had a prize catch on their hands. Early on, before a frame of film ran, I believe they had already unravelled the web of fake friends. The insulting part is that they expect the audience to believe they accepted on face-value a photo of a woman in her 20s as the mother of a woman in her 20s... what the fuck? The way they glossed over that was one of the most criminal aspects of the whole thing and early on had me suspecting that the entire doco was acted. However that was until the scale of Angela's reality became known and then I just felt fucking dirty.

The only thing I take some solace in after it all is that the woman might actually be able to be happy being herself in the end, instead of escaping reality.

I still hate those fuckers though, they played the situation to their advantage every step of the way and in that sense it feels like a very cold exercise in exploitation of the smart and self-satisfied over the poor in heart and mind.
    Last edited by Scots Taffer; 31st Mar 2011 at 09:42.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2019606,00.html
    [...] as you watch Catfish, squirming in anticipation of the trouble that must lie ahead — why else would this be a movie? — you're likely to think this is the real face of social networking.
    It's funny how people tend to believe the extraordinary more than what they can witness every day. I mean there are millions of genuine relationships going on at that site, but if there's a fake the chance of it getting publicised is raised many fold.

Is it really that funny or surprising, Kolya? It's not just the extraordinary, it's the potential for unknowns as well. I see/hear people spending vast amounts of time (daily) speculating on the hidden agendas and mysteries of actions/behaviours/everyday life almost as much as people spend on the mundaneness of reality. I'm guilty of it myself.

And ultimately there is a question that is worth exploring - why do we have the reality and cliché of the fat middle-aged guy in Wisconsin telling people he's "18/f/Florida"? Escapism, in its many forms, is all that some people have to avoid the ongoing misery that is their lives, but that's not true for everyone - what is it then? Catfish is a good example of this, for Nev and his buddies it's about making a name for themselves through their pretense of escapism, for Angela and others like her it's a sad truth about how they get through the day to day without drowning retarded kids in bathwater. Unfortunately, Catfish doesn't get close enough to asking these questions or pondering the answers and ramifications as it's too busy being a plot device for a "twist" that's only shocking if ... actually, I don't know how it's ever shocking if you've read books or seen movies in the past twenty years.

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    He's old mad as hell... and not going to take it anymore.

Recently, I've watched The Bourne Trilogy - one of the most witty of action movies of all time in my opinion

... and 2001: A Space Odyssey - a very strange movie but strange in a way that I like it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Like Community all you want, but dismissing Arrested Development like that just made you dead to me.
    lol. I've actually not dismissed it though. I've procured season 1 and will be watching it at some point in the future.

Still Subjective
    I've just watched the first episode of Arrested Development and so far I don't know what to make of it. Some of the comedy moments seem too forced but the cast is sterling so I'll give it a chance. The only characters I like so far are the father and the magician brother. But that's perhaps because he is so good in 30 Rock.

We shall see but usually recommendations from sensible people at TTLG are good (see The Wire and Deadwood). You are a Blade Runner detractor though Scots (have you seen the io9 sci-fi film vote that's on at the moment?) and I can't quite equate that to the rest of your taste. Perhaps you're just not into sci-fi that much...
    Last edited by SubJeff; 31st Mar 2011 at 12:23.

why do we have the reality and cliché of the fat middle-aged guy in Wisconsin telling people he's "18/f/Florida"?
    Because it's spectacular, unlike the mundane truth that the vast majority of personal online communications are genuine. You see, it's actually a lot of work to keep up a good fake, just like lying about major stuff in real life is. You have to remember all the shit you make up, you have to confirm it in many ways. It's stressful. And what's worse, you don't really get the emotional support you seek, because you know yourself that it's all pretence.
    Being sincere is a lot easier and ultimately more worthwhile.

The rules change a bit according to your involvement/status in a community:
    If I lied about something major here and was found out, then people would probably remember that. It would damage my (otherwise flawless) reputation permanently. So I don't have much of an incentive to do so, because of my long-term interests here.
    If some newbie lies about shit, it's a lot easier for them. In doubt they just start a new account. (But you never get anywhere this way.)

That being said, I have used alt-nicks here in the past when I wanted to talk about private things that I didn't want to see associated with my nick in the wider public. I wouldn't describe that as fake, as I didn't use these accounts to say anything untrue. Merely a privacy protection measure.

This raises the more interesting question about what identity actually is: We all use a myriad of subidentities all day. For my teacher I'm a pupil, for my girl I'm a lover, for my online contacts I may be the guy who made the SS2Tool. None of these are fake.
    So someone might employ an online persona that is vastly different from his RL self and not be considered a fake.

In sociopsychology the idea of one homogeneous unitary identity has been replaced by a constructionist patchwork identity since the 70s. Only in the popular view this hasn't been noticed much, which has to do with how we ourselves perceive our own identity as whole and homogeneous, unless one suffers mental illness.
    Last edited by Kolya; 31st Mar 2011 at 12:36.

That's interesting stuff, Kolya. Identity is definitely a subject I'd like to see explored further in media.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    I've just watched the first episode of Arrested Development and so far I don't know what to make of it. Some of the comedy moments seem too forced but the cast is sterling so I'll give it a chance. The only characters I like so far are the father and the magician brother. But that's perhaps because he is so good in 30 Rock.

We shall see but usually recommendations from sensible people at TTLG are good (see The Wire and Deadwood). You are a Blade Runner detractor though Scots (have you seen the io9 sci-fi film vote that's on at the moment?) and I can't quite equate that to the rest of your taste. Perhaps you're just not into sci-fi that much...
    Few things:
    • First episode of Arrested Development isn't amazing, but the show is.
    • When we're talking Harrison Ford films obviously the genius of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull > Blade Runner.
    • lol
    • I've said many times it's possible I am broken in relation to that movie as all the individual pieces work but the whole is cold and boring.
    • I love sci-fi.

Still Subjective
    I love sci-fi.
    You just hate fun?

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Queue View Post
    He's old mad as hell... and not going to take it anymore.
    Actually I'm neither and never took it in the first place. I just ignore most ignorant or inane posts.

In the case of Evaunit I occasionally make an exception. Such a massive display of misinformation is an unending source of amusement.

Getting back on topic, I reran Angels and Demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    You just hate fun?
    If you aren't joking, then fuck right off.

Page 48 of 205 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384344454647484950515253586368737883889398148 ... LastLast