TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 49 of 205 FirstFirst ... 491419242934394445464748495051525354596469747984899499149 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 5122

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Could everyone please stop leading on tBM to believe he accomplished something?
    It's not a pretty sight.

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    It's not a pretty sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    It's not a pretty sight.
    That was my bad. Goddamn me.

Goddamn me all to hell.

Well I was just being captain obvious. It amazes me that people don't recall thier own post history but perhaps they have a mental block to maintain personality integration and it all ties in to that online personna thing not being who they are or something. Shit if I know because I just remembered my online personna isn't very bright.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    If you aren't joking, then fuck right off.
    Oooh, get her!

Of course I'm joking.

I watched "Me you and everyone we know" today with my girlfriend. It's a 2005 Canadian Indie picture about a group of people whose lives are intertwined. Most of these characters are broken in some way. They're weirdoes.
    Now this type of film usually ends up in of two ways: Either it runs over in a simplistic falsely naive and emotional way or it gets terribly depressing.
    "Me you and everyone we know" instead turns out to be uplifting, poetic and funny and manages to handle some difficult themes in a light handed way without being shallow or unrealistic.

<embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/gVvgHkUUti4&fs=1&rel=0&showinfo=0&iv_load_policy=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="620" height="446" />

http://meandyou.mirandajuly.com/

Friday night was Darkman drunk with some friends. Best Scene Ever. Still half wish Raimi and Campbell could have done a sequel... that would've been unhinged.

Saturday while waiting for the wife to come back I watched The Fifth Element for, somehow, the first time ever. How did I miss this one for so long? Not sure, and I reckon it's to its detriment as it hasn't aged well. Besson is a fine choice for director from an action perspective but that quirky-Euro-design vibe that permeates all Jeunet's movies is present here, down to the Jean Paul Gautier costumes, and that sort of relentless oddness is exactly the kind of futuristic artificiality that I hate outside of the Back to the Future movies. Combine that with a typically leaden Willis turning another peroxide blonde performance of Jackal proportions, whatsherface running around half naked for the running time and cooing at the screen like a baby, Bilbo and half-bald Oldman mugging for every scene, then a painfully shrill reminder of how utterly limited in range Chris Tucker's doomed career was going to be. Not great.

That blue bitch could sing though, right? But sexy baby brain lady crying over picutes of war was over the top mawkish hogwash. Yeah, it was a bit silly the first time around too. Still like that voice modulation trick and wouldn't mind it done in some actual music.

Tonight I took my wife and nephew to see Insidious. It was gooooood. Sure it had the cliches done a few dozen thousand times but it did them right. There were a number of little twists on said cliches and an oddness that struck the right chords of WTF but that wasn't the amazing part. It somehow managed to startle hell out of you even knowing something was impending. It didn't rely on CGI too much but it had several tropes that shouldn't have worked having been done in such films as Poltergist and Amityville before but damn the extra yank of slant they gave it did the trick and made it a new thing. Tiptoe through the Tulips should have been a laugh on a stick but it wasn't. Not that the flashlight envy didn't hit the right level of comic relief to crank out the next formulaic fright bit just right so that you shouldn't fall for it but damn son you done jumped and spilled the popcorn again and you knew it was coming.

It didn't hurt that the wifes name was my wifes or the sons name my nephews either.
    Last edited by Tocky; 3rd Apr 2011 at 02:03. Reason: misspelled the title of all things

Yesterday evening, it was Sucker Punch for me. That one is awesome with a great art-style and a perfect dance between unexplained fantasy and a sensible plot.

Even better, the BluRay release will include more scenes, resembling a directors cut.

Another movie I like while critics are mostly negative about it... oh well. I'm considering a second go to the cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post

The Fifth Element...but that quirky-Euro-design vibe that permeates all Jeunet's movies is present here, down to the Jean Paul Gautier costumes, and that sort of relentless oddness is exactly the kind of futuristic artificiality that I hate outside of the Back to the Future movies.
    I loved it. I like to think of it as a live action version of a Moebius graphic novel, since he's the one who did the production design.

About eight-minutes of the new FOX show, Breaking-In. Apparently, this show is what happens when a bunch of tools try to be witty.

After eight-minutes worth of the cliches, contrived over-the-top zaniness, and utterly bad writing, I wanted to contract AIDS, and was reminded why I don't watch much TV. So I fully expect it to be a complete hit, at which point I'll no longer wonder why Studio 60 was canceled so quickly.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Queue View Post
    About eight-minutes of the new FOX show, Breaking-In. Apparently, this show is what happens when a bunch of tools try to be witty.
    So it's about TTLG?

So I have just finished watching the first season of Merlin and can happily say it's one of the shittiest shows I've seen.

While the premise, some set pieces and acting isn't bad (mostly), what kills the show is the blatant disregard for any previous episode; it's like nothing before the current episode ever happened. Which would have been ok if the show was trying to be a "Seinfeld in medieval times" type of a non-linear story, but it's clearly set out to have an overarching plot.

Every single episode someone almost dies. And someone being one of 2 characters. If that repetitiveness wasn't enough, each time everyone acts as if it's the most incomprehensible thing ever and "oh god how could this happen?" You'd think they would have learned by now.

Worse yet, any personal progress or development of characters is completely wiped out at the end of each episode. So Merlin and Arthur are growing to be close; they have heart to heart conversations, they call each other friends. And next episode Arthur treats Merling like a retard servant, and Merlin is back to calling him a spoiled prick. Wtf? This pretty much repeats like 3-4 times through the first season alone.

Also, the never-ending cocktease of "will they find out he knows magic?" Every epsiode ALWAYS has a moment where Merlin exposes his magic to everyone else; but through some convenient last minute dues ex machine he is somehow absolved of the blame.

All in all, show would be good if it wasn't for the fact every epsidoe is pretty much exactly the same and nothing ever changes - personal relations always return to beginning, deaths are never permanent, and no one ever finds out about the secrets even though they are "sooo close to it." I always end up feeling like each episode is a giant cop out because the writers are just too afraid to actually make any significant event that would have any sort of (even minuscule) re repercussions on the story.

I tried to give the show a fair chance up until Season 1 finale which instantly establishes itself with "somebody important will die!" hook and then... nobody does. Or rathey, they do (twice) but are miraculously saved in the last 3 minutes of the episode. Yea...
    Last edited by Yakoob; 7th Apr 2011 at 08:16.

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Queue View Post
    So I fully expect it to be a complete hit, at which point I'll no longer wonder why Studio 60 was canceled so quickly.
    Apparently the simple reason was that while it was rating higher than 30 Rock, the latter cost less to produce so the Nielson-per-dollar factor was in favour of Fey & Co. What a shame.

I loved Oldman in The Fifth Element, his character was written as such a magnificent bastard and he pulled it off very well.

Die Hard for the billionth time.

Because it's fuckin' awesome, that's why.

Have you seen R.E.D.?

I wish I could unsee it.

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    RED: More like dead... on arrival; inert action-comedy is let down by script, tone and direction despite a cavalcade of veteran character actors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Red - Masterclass of veteran character actors showing you how NOT to make an engaging action-comedy.
    Last edited by Scots Taffer; 7th Apr 2011 at 22:41.

Still Subjective
    You mean you liked Die Hard but didn't like R.E.D. ?! But they are the same type of actiony film aren't they?

this doesn't compute

RED doesn't quite reach the same heights as Die Hard in my opinion (but only the original Die Hard, I think it's easily as good as the sequels) but I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless. It worked well for me, maybe it's even a buy when the DVD drops in price. 8/10

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

The Bedford Incident Excellent cold war thriller

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    You mean you liked Die Hard but didn't like R.E.D. ?! But they are the same type of actiony film aren't they?

this doesn't compute
    Not even remotely. Die Hard is tense, taut and gripping, while RED is just sort of...there. I like the opening bits where Willis flirts with Mary Lousie Parker -- who was the very best thing about it -- and John Malkovich' suicidal charge was a mildly amusing image, but otherwise it was a complete waste of the talent involved. It even managed to render the image of Helen Mirren firing a minigun unexciting.

Anyway, I watched Night Moves yesterday. Gene Hackman as a schlubby, aimless private detective hired to find an aging starlet's missing daughter, who gets caught up in something he has little hope of comprehending. It has one of the most wickedly bleak and brilliant endings I've seen in a long time.

They don't make movies like they used to in the seventies. And Melanie Griffith's boobs were a lot more pert then too.

Still Subjective
    Harvester and Morte in R.E.D.alike Die Hard try-hard-but-miss-the-point fail.

That's exactly what I was saying fellas, exactly what I was saying.

Chakat sex pillow
    They may be the same type of film, but R.E.D isn't anywhere near as good as Die Hard. Which is what they've been saying all along.

Who's missing which point, again?

Still Subjective
    Seems like you are, now.

I've been saying this:

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    They may be the same type of film, but R.E.D isn't anywhere near as good as Die Hard. Which is what they've been saying all along.
    all along.

My reply to Scots was a sarcastic swipe at CCC for suggesting R.E.D.
    Why do I need to explain this? You spoiled it now.

Page 49 of 205 FirstFirst ... 491419242934394445464748495051525354596469747984899499149 ... LastLast