TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 53 of 206 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384348495051525354555657586368737883889398103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 5143

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Yesterday I finished watching Surrogates again. What started out as a very interesting premise turned into a bland and by-the-numbers action movie at the end; it's a real shame, as by all accounts the comic was a very good and thoughtful exploration of the themes.
    God it was dull, wasn't it? The premise is indeed promising. The only thing I liked about it was side story about his wife who had lost herself in her surrogate. That aspect of it was criminally unexplored and someone should run with it and make a better film.

RE: Alien Res. This is the final nail in Briareos H's taste coffin. I never could trust his take on things after he previously admitted liking it, but saying you prefer it to Aliens, and disliking those other films (especially in comparison) in comparison betrays the philistinous blood pumping through your veins. Or you're 15. In which case, you'll learn.

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    God it was dull, wasn't it? The premise is indeed promising. The only thing I liked about it was side story about his wife who had lost herself in her surrogate. That aspect of it was criminally unexplored and someone should run with it and make a better film.

RE: Alien Res. This is the final nail in Briareos H's taste coffin. I never could trust his take on things after he previously admitted liking it, but saying you prefer it to Aliens, and disliking those other films (especially in comparison) in comparison betrays the philistinous blood pumping through your veins. Or you're 15. In which case, you'll learn.
    Agree with both assessments. As for dethtoll, just yanking his chain. I hate to admit it but I agree with his Barpo, Barpo...

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    philistinous
    philistinic. bro.

also answered you on steam t

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    go forward some more chain emails.
    fucking lol

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

[...] go forward some more chain emails.
    If I did that you'd be out of a job

Taking the Death Toll
    i don't understand your old man lingo, what does that even mean

Level 10,000 achieved
    Insanity. Alien Resurection is clearly only the second best Alien movie, after Aliens.

Speaking of Aliens I saw "Them!" recently. The story is that something mysterious has gone on out in the desert, a family has been killed and the only survivor is a small girl who has been so shocked she doesn't speak a word. After the soldiers figure out that giant ants did it they go into their hive and use flamethrowers to torch the eggs and fight the queen. Sounds familiar? Aliens, and probably more than a few other monster-movies, were no doubt inspired by this film.

LOL

Resurrection is dumb but the best Aliens movie after the wonderful Alien.

Isn't Aliens the title of that Cameron turd? Last time they showed Alien and Aliens back to back on the TV.
    I played the worst drinking game ever while watching the second one: a shot every time there was true black or any lighting that wasn't color-saturated in the picture, a shot whenever there was a scene not showing something relevant to the direct story, a shot whenever the action wasn't completely generic muscle Sci-Fi happening. I didn't even pop that cork, LOL!

Chakat sex pillow
    Clearly, you are a weird fish. With ADD.

And no taste.

Alien > Aliens, the less said about Alien 3 the better, and Resurrection just blows chunks. CHUNKS I SAID.

Clearly my taste was reserved for that bottle of scotch I had to empty so that I could forget how terrible Aliens was!

Taking the Death Toll

henke, you're not helping

yeah okay BH is officially a moron with zero taste, dime a dozen nothing to see here

You've seen everything when comes a day when people claim you have zero taste for liking a Jeunet film over a every-single-one-of-my-films-is-the-same-Cameron film.

@SE not that I'm interested in earning any points, but I realise my opinion of Jeunet's films is rather extreme, even with people I trust when it comes to liking films. It's a bit difficult to understand, even for me, but part of it is that with each of his pictures I get the feeling he's coercing the viewer into liking his characters rather than making them naturally likable.

Re. Aliens and art in general, I'll always take something which tries and fails over a tired formula which does nothing new. I really found Cameron's movie abysmal, just like I couldn't watch more than 10 minutes of Avatar

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

i don't understand your old man lingo, what does that even mean
    If your mentality, or vocabulary, can't handle it I'm not surprised. I'd explain it to you but it would be a waste of forum space and my time.

Chakat sex pillow
    @BH: Eh, it depends on your approach to cinema and whether you appreciate pop sensibilities or not. Not all films are art, nor do they have to aim to be. Aliens is pure craftmanship: it does nothing new, but it does it incredibly well. For an engaging action romp that's expertly paced, smartly written, and pulls out all the stops in its goal to be a constant thrill ride, it's a pure masterpiece.

Sure, it's not art like a Bergman or Kurosawa film, but applying that expectation to something that doesn't pretend to be anything other than entertainment just means you're looking for something you know you won't find.

Alien 3 is an awesome movie. I don't know why people hate it so much (particularly when their familiarity with Aliens is often the directors cut, which has one of the stupidest openings ever. That sours the whole thing for me. I can't believe that was even written. I certainly can't believe it was shot. I really can't trust anyone who cuts it back into the movie. I think that was when Cameron went from childhood hero to highly suspicious character for me).
    Yeah people will never forgive it for killing Newt and Hicks. That's not really a flaw since a tragedy is the right way to end the series. The rest of its awkwardness is well covered.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlackman View Post
    If your mentality, or vocabulary, can't handle it I'm not surprised. I'd explain it to you but it would be a waste of forum space and my time.
    You do a terrible RBJ impression. But whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    You've seen everything when comes a day when people claim you have zero taste for liking a Jeunet film over a every-single-one-of-my-films-is-the-same-Cameron film.
    Nevermind that Aliens was made in the fucking 80s.

When did you get so fucking stupid? You didn't used to be this fucking stupid.
    Last edited by june gloom; 19th Aug 2011 at 04:07.

So what? I was born in 85, am I going to pretend that I saw Aliens when it came out? Truth is, I already knew what to expect of Cameron when I watched it first. You really shouldn't bother.

@Sulphur well that's just it. I don't really watch many films, it's probably the visual art for which I spend the least time. When I just want to see some entertainment, which doesn't happen so often, I have enough old soviet films, pixar cartoons or european comedies that were filmed properly to bother with junk. And I do not agree that Aliens does it all well. As I said, I found the picture to be sorely lacking any acceptable contrast, framing and composition; it really is a pain to watch.

Taking the Death Toll
    So you're a fucking hipster, go figure.

is Best Pony
    Man, I just want to see Bill Paxton blow xenomorphs up. Aliens fulfils my quota handsomely.

Alien is still probably the better film, but for me Alien = Aliens > Resurrection > Alien 3.

@ Subjective Effect: that's very true about Surrogates. In fact in the comic, she kills herself because she can't take the thought of not being youthful and beautiful forever.

One potential theme I did find interesting was when Peters' surrogate was taken over - I would have liked to explore the impact of the natural human assumption that because it looked like Peters therefore it was always Peters behind the mike, that Greer never thought to question that even when he knew that all kinds of surrogate-related jiggery-pokery was going on.

So you're a fucking hipster, go figure.
    you're saying 'hipster' in the way 'prep' is used in My Immortal, the fanfic

I don't hate 3 but just find it all rather dreary. That said it does still feel like an actual Alien film. As opposed to Resurrection which is... some kind of weird parody\tribute?

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Yeah people will never forgive (Alien 3) for killing Newt and Hicks. That's not really a flaw since a tragedy is the right way to end the series. The rest of its awkwardness is well covered.
    The importance of Newt was, she enables Ripley to find a purpose and become a mother again. Alien 3 wipes all that progress away as if the writer deemed it an irritating inconvenience, and dumps Ripley on a planet of angry bald guys that we struggle to care about.

It's not like the pain of her death is ignored though.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimpy Chompy View Post
    I don't hate 3 but just find it all rather dreary. That said it does still feel like an actual Alien film. As opposed to Resurrection which is... some kind of weird parody\tribute?
    Word. Alien 3 is much maligned and misunderstood imho. Coming from the action-fest that is Aliens I can kind of understand that. But Res is just. the. worst. Thing ever. It's got to be the worst film ever made for the amount of talent it has on board.

Doesn't really matter how much talent you have if there's no ideas behind the project.

Level 10,000 achieved

NO IDEAS!?!?!?

Uhhh did you even see the scene where she finds her clones? And then Ron Perlman's killer line at the end of that scene? Or the underwater-scene? Or the part where the aliens escape? Or the creepy/tragic new alien-type at the end? Or Dan Hadayawhatshisnames fantastic performance? And what about that French fella in the wheelchair!? Fantastic fantastic stuff.

I don't know what you people are talking about, it's like we saw different movies.

I will agree that it starts to drag on a bit towards the end though, Winona Ryder's character isn't very interesting, and the ending is pretty forgettable, except for the part where the alien gets sucked out through a little hole in the window.

Not sure who is joking and who is serious here, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    the ending is pretty forgettable, except for the profoundly retarded part where the alien gets sucked pushed out through a little hole in the window.
    (fixed to reflect how i remember it) ... it sounded like you found that part to be good ... right?

Page 53 of 206 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384348495051525354555657586368737883889398103153 ... LastLast