TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 54 of 202 FirstFirst ... 491419242934394449505152535455565758596469747984899499104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 5046

Thread: What have you watched lately?

The premise of Alien 3 bugs everyone yet I can overlook it. But dammit, Resurrection just makes no sense at all. You could almost forgive some of the whackiness if you lay it at the feet of Jeunet and go "Oh he's French", ignoring all the well structured films he's made before. But Joss Whedon wrote this crap and he strikes me as a guy who thinks things through a little harder than this. 250 (further) years in the future, the company wants aliens so bad that they completely forget to go look for them and instead opt to badly clone Ripley and get a queen alien out of her.
    Unless I'm forgetting something, that doesn't make any kind of sense on any level.

And the less said about AvP the better.
    With any luck Prometheus brings the beat back.

Still Subjective
    henke you've just highlight everything that is wrong with the film. It looks great, as in the effects are good. And yes the aliens looked cool swimming. So what? The rest is garbage.

The premise (as Muzman points out) is ridiculous. The clone scene looks good, in a ewwww way, but it was embarrassing. The most embarrassing thing was the hyrbid alien bollocks at the end. I cringed so bad when that came on and the people I'd gone with (Alien series fans) couldn't help themselves. In any other film there would have been a round of "Shhhh"s or "shut up"s, but when we all synchronously went "Oh, man, that is crap" no one argued because everyone knew it to be true.

Yes, the cast is good. Wasted.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    you're saying 'hipster' in the way 'prep' is used in My Immortal, the fanfic
    That's true like something that isn't true at all.

I must watch Alien 3 again so I can finally determine whether I like it less or more than Resurrection. I recognize their flaws but hate neither of them. But neither of them are as fun to watch as Aliens and neither of those 3 are as good, as far as filmmaking quality and innovating the genre go, as Alien. Alien is a groundbreaking masterpiece, Aliens is just Cameron being Cameron at the top of his game.

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

Steel Dawn with Patrick Swazye. Tank Girl with swords.

Alien 3 Director's Cut is much better than the original - there's less plot holes for a start. I realise I'm in the minority, but I'd say it's my favourite of the 4. It is very much a David Fincher film more than it is an Alien film. I just love how utterly bleak it is from start to finish.
    "That's not a dystopian future, this is a dystopian future!"
    Which is probably why everyone hated it at the time; they were expecting a balls-out sequel to Aliens, which is what Alien Resurrection tried to be, but slipped on Joss Whedon's drool and fell into the emotionally-vapid, unfunny, quippy shit barrel.

Taking the Death Toll
    +5 for the Whedon Hate Train. He never should have been allowed to write an Alien movie, and Jeunet shouldn't have been permitted to direct it. Terrible terrible terrible. Bash Aliens all you want I don't give a fuck, but recognize that Alien Resurrection was one of the worst movies of the 90s and effectively killed the franchise.

Also +5 for A3DC, it really is a much better film than the theatrical version.

I swear, this has to be the fourth time I've read a debate about Alien: Resurrection on this forum. Can we stop resurrecting this particularly topic?

Watching the HBO series Rome again for the 2nd time. Its as good as I remembered. Not as serious as Game of Thrones but a lot more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    I swear, this has to be the fourth time I've read a debate about Alien: Resurrection on this forum. Can we stop resurrecting this particularly topic?
    We need to resurrect it eight times before we get it right.

Chakat sex pillow
    And when we do, dethtoll will look upon this place in shock and horror, and burn it the hell down.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
    But wait, we haven't compared it to Starship troopers yet

ZB report to thread for "is Starship Troopers satire?" debate.

Wow, that looks... uh, interesting. I take it they are individual episodes on their youtube channel?

On the last few plane rides I watched:

Limitless - A very empty nothing kind of movie really, but sort of guilty-pleasure-level enjoyable.

The Greatest Movie Ever Sold - Morgan Spurlock returns with his curious brand of not-really-saying-anything documentary, with a cutesy pitch about making a movie all about brand advertising that is funded entirely by brands advertising in the movie I learned a bit about what makes some marketing departments tick but that's about it.

Battle LA - Someone has to own up to the fact that this entire movie is edited footage from recent war/disaster movies and alien flicks like District 9.

Pirates of the Carribean: Stranger Tides - Where's all the rum fun gone? These movies truly have become empty, noisy spectacles that just happen to feature pirates. From the second movie onwards this has been a rapidly diminishing series of returns, however I'd say this one was about on par with the second though none of them have had a plot that's made any sense or had characters worth giving two shits about since The Black Pearl.

After posting in it, isn't it about time this thread was killed?
    Last edited by Scots Taffer; 27th Aug 2011 at 16:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Did someone call for a thread killer?

Wow, that looks... uh, interesting. I take it they are individual episodes on their youtube channel?
    Nah it is a feature length film. Sergio Caballero. Two ghosts walking The Way of Saint James to try finding a way back to the land of the living. If you like experimental cinema, you could give it a whirl. Pretty funny and the scenery is beautiful

I have nothing against the idea, but just wondering how people will post about random stuff they watched.

Can anyone sum up Werner Herzog for me? Is his stuff worth watching? I have only read what people write about him and the embellishment of the truth thing is a little off-putting

Just watched the new "Conan". Exactly what you would expect. They substituted CGI for story. Whoever wrote it only understood it on a sophomoric level of fight here then fight there and some titties. It started out like the omission of story continuity and scenes capable of eliciting empathy could possibly be overcome by imaginative if highly unlikely ones. That might have been interesting (though not saving) if kept up but alas it dwindled and ended complete after the catapult.

The real problem is that the writer was like Scots in not understanding how good the over arching plot of the original was in dealing with the surrender of ones values and mind to religion as well as touching on themes of love and friendship in an overblown characture though none the less solidly felt sort of way that made you say FUCK YES YOU BLUNT HAMMER OF A MAN. The new one has no heart whatsoever.

what the

Taking the Death Toll
    i was hoping for a good reaction post and scots did not disappoint

is Best Pony
    Interestingly, RPS linked today to an article by the scriptwriter relating what it feels like to bomb at the box office.

what the
    sup

And thanks Matthew. I now see that it was a typical Hollywood clusterfuck where everyone blames everyone else and is right. It doesn't help my feelings any to know that another thirty years may pass before anyone tries again because of this 3D! SUPER HERO! CGI! SWORDS AND TITTIES! mishmash story driving a stake through the heart as solidly as Conan the Destroyer did. Moreso even because this one seemed blind to the NEED for story and the Destroyer was an obvious off the hip cash raker sequel.

Maybe thirty years just isn't long enough to write something the equal of the first for Hollywood writers and they should just stick to scripting the next argument on real repo housewives of total dimwit island.

Watched Low Winter Sun yesterday, a British crime drama from 2006 with some great acting (I especially liked Mark Strong *not* playing a villain for once). If you're into dark, tragic stories about murder, guilt and betrayal, this one's very much worth it. Just don't expect to have much fun watching it.

Also, we got started on John Adams, the recentish HBO mini-series. I'm usually ambivalent about Laura Linney, but she's very good together with Paul Giamatti.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    I realise I'm in the minority, but I'd say it's my favourite of the 4. It is very much a David Fincher film more than it is an Alien film. I just love how utterly bleak it is from start to finish.
    Wow, word by word - did I really read that? I gave up hope that someone else seen that film for what it really was somewhere last century.

It`s a well known fact Fincher hates it - or perhaps, not the film itself but fighting with the studios and how it affected direction. So yeah, it might be "flawed" though honestly I can`t remember/am not interested in nitpicking on plotholes. I think it was more about public/critics not being able to handle The Mind Of David Fincher - slaughtering that wimp Hicks & Newt at the beginning and taking away the weapons -when Joe Bloggs was screaming MOAR GUNZ- proved too much.

Film is a visual medium by definition and as such A3 delivered in spades, again, there was hardly anything like it in 1992. Maybe not up to Khonji`s masterpiece that was Seven but still light years ahead of competition. It lost to some proto-CGI of Death Becomes Her at the Oscars, but hey , what else is new.

And then, the most important - "bleak". I think it is the good word to use here, perhaps also if we multiply it by a million and add "overbearing doom, gloom, misery and no hope whatsoever". Genius, just like the ending of Seven.

Wouldn`t say best of the trilogy though (eh? what fourth film?) they`re all different and fantastic. Not holding my breath for Prometheus, judging by R Scott`s transformation into hot air powered giant penis, but then, you never know. (Did I hear there`s also Blade Runner sequel planned?)

I've watched 8 episodes of the Masters of Horror show, and my favorite one was definitely Cigarette Burns, directed by John Carpenter.

It's about a guy who has to track down a copy of a movie for an eccentric collector, a movie that was only shown in public once and inspired the viewers to murder each other. As he searches for the movie, he starts seeing strange visions and finds out that the movie basically curses anyone who comes into contact with it.

Has anyone else seen it? IMO it shows that Carpenter hasn't lost his touch. I really wish they would've recognized the strength of the material and expanded this into a full length movie instead of a 55 minute episode. They could've expanded the characters, show more supernatural stuff and make the hunt for the movie take more time, the main character could've met more people affected by the movie in strange ways and found out about its history, and with a larger budget they could've shown more things instead of talking about them. It could've become similar to The Ring, only way more gruesome and violent. As it stands, it's still pretty good, I recommend this episode.

Do you guys know any other episodes of the show I should see?

Page 54 of 202 FirstFirst ... 491419242934394449505152535455565758596469747984899499104154 ... LastLast