TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 62 of 206 FirstFirst ... 1217222732374247525758596061626364656667727782879297102107112162 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 5135

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Savages - It's an Oliver Stone movie alright... It's at the same time lighthearted and brutal. Benicio del Toro plays one of the most despicable villains I've seen in recent times, I was surprised at the amount of hate I mustered for this character. I didn't recognize the kid from Kick-Ass, this sure is a different type of role for this actor. Recommended, but the two guys sharing one girl grossed me out a little, never ever would I go for such a thing, not even with Blake Lively.

Les Misérables - Great musical, well acted, great songs, me and my gf loved it. Still not for musical haters, and far less whimsical than most musicals, but very good at what it does.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Passable fluff, don't go out of your way to see it but I liked it okay for a one time viewing. I do like that they took the ridiculous premise seriously, it's really as serious a movie about Abraham Lincoln hunting vampires as you can make, they didn't make a horror pastiche like Scary Movie out of the premise, I would've hated that.

God Bless America - This worked for me, but I liked the parodied images of the reality shows, and the eloquent speeches on mass culture that the main character gives, more than the actual shooty parts that cover most of the movie.

ParaNorman - Animated movie of the year for me. Very funny, loved the horror movie homages, and a surprisingly heartfelt message that doesn't feel obligatory or tacked on.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    C'mon, does anyone take that one seriously? "... some French foreign film... Wolverine... Catwoman..." It's a joke, and not a particularly subtle one.
    So its clearly a joke, I say its inaccurate in a faux serious way which is also a joke, you comment on the whole thing in a serious way but which must be a joke.

How meta do we need to get before someone gets hurt?

Nah, I was just being stupid, man. Working where I am, I'm losing all ability to read irony. Meta goes way, way over my head these days, it seems.

*cue dethtoll's airplane pic*

Taking the Death Toll
    to be fair it's hard to tell when subjeff isn't being serious sometimes

Still Subjective
    Tip: if you get outraged or baffled by it I'm being purposely over the top.

Its inaccurate - no one sang at our showing
    How can this be serious?

Taking the Death Toll
    dude it's YOU

Musicals do not deserve this kind of controversy. Save it for the Nolan & 2001 threads. =V

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    dude it's YOU
    I'm saying a review of a film is inaccurate because no one sang at the showing I went to. Stop being an idiot.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Taking the Death Toll
    lol

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just watched the first episode of Justified. Got off to a great start. Only heard of this show recently and liked everything I heard about it. Timothy Olyphant in the leading role. ~80-90 scores for every season on Metacritic. Themetune by Ganstagrass! Not sure how I hadn't heard of it until now.

What have I watched lately?

Trollhunter!

I think I love this movie. I was grinning like an idiot the whole way through and remembering little moments makes me chuckle at random and people look at me funny.
    Instant cult classic is such a dumb thing to say, but...Instant cult classic!

I watched Sinister. One of the better horror movies of late. The script has some flaws but the direction is good, and the acting is definitely way better than most horror movies, Ethan Hawke is a very solid lead.

The thing I liked most about this movie, though, is the sound design. It's very creepy and atmospheric, one of the best soundscapes I've ever seen (heard, actually) in a horror movie. It has songs by bands like Ulver and Boards of Canada, that should give you an idea of what to expect. The original score by Christopher Young is very well done too. The movie's sound work reminded me of Team Psykskallar (spelling?)'s games Afraid of Monsters and Cry of Fear. One reviewer on IMDb also compared it to Akira Yamaoka's music in the Silent Hill games, but I wouldn't know, I never played those games. Because of these similarities, I'm recommending this movie specifically to dethtoll, who I know is a fan of these games and their sound design. Turn the volume up high and the lights down low. My favorite horror movie of 2012, though I haven't seen many.

Taking the Death Toll
    Sold.

Still Subjective
    I thought it was an above average horror, but then I find most horrors pretty awful.

The end was lame and the "horror" partly comes from boo moments was a real shame considering there was a decent amount of psychological and creepy horror too.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

1937-2018
    Gone, but not forgotten

Don't indulge in purchasing DVDs or going to movies much, but I have a decent collection of Beta tapes and VHS tapes, and the machines on which to play them, and a few DVDs which I burn from the tapes.

At the moment I am re-watching Queen Latiffa in Last Holiday. I watched an anime series called Roughnecks last night. A cartoon version of Starship Trooper, from the Heinlein Novel, and a badly done movie.

A few minutes ago I finished watching the last episode of Star Trek: Enterprise which concludes my going through of everything watchable that's Star Trek. All the movies, all the series's though not the video games. Took me 4 years (of off and on viewing) to get through all of them. Was a hell of alot of episodes and movies to go through. Other than a couple of the original movies it has been a really good experience going through them all. Each has their own unique quirks and things to like and dislike.

My list of favorites after it all would go something like this:

1. Next Generation
    2. Original Series
    3. Deep Space Nine
    4. Enterprise
    5. Voyager

As for the movies the original movie series I liked more than the next generation ones as the stories (other than the terrible "The Final Frontier) were more epic, where as The Next Generation only had 2 good movies in the lot (First Contact and Generations).

But in regards to Enterprise, last time around when the series had still been on tv I recall not seeing much of the final season, and now that I've seen all of it I'm kicking myself for not seeing it at the time as it was excellent viewing. There wasn't a dull episode, it's addictive and has some REALLY good episodes that just tie everything together nicely from the originals to the Next Generation without making any plot hole paradoxes or whatever (since the show is set 100 years before the original series). This show easily finished before it's time and should have gone for ATLEAST another 2 seasons. Finished just as it was getting really good. Grrr.

Now to figure out what will be the next big thing to go through. Besides Doctor Who (which has episodes made and released in the 1950s all the way up to the 80s and then restarted in the 2000s), I can't really think of any other franchise that offers THAT much content to go through. Especially on the sci-fi end. Not too many other shows that went on to have so many good spin offs. Hmm.

After I went and saw the movie "This is 40", I started watching Lost again and am also currently going through Supernatural + the X-Files.

Chakat sex pillow
    TNG had some quality stuff, though the amount of filler and just plain cheesy nonsense rivalled TOS at times without being as groundbreaking. My benchmark for serialised sci-fi will always be The Best of Both Worlds 1 & 2, and few shows have ever come as close - probably the only one I can say that has is Farscape, and perhaps BSG in its non-dogma-mired moments.

Anyway, I can't imagine going through the entirety of Dr. Who. Torchwood was cheese enough to last for a while. Quality sci-fi on TV has always been thin on the ground, but it looks like there's just about none of it these days. I can't hear a synopsis of Fringe from anybody without wanting to roll my eyes, so maybe it's time for Black Mirror.

Oh, I also managed to watch Cloud Atlas. Here's a one-line review: It is, basically, The Fountain if Aronofsky had tried to make it broader and more likeable.

Of course, I'm not going to stop there: it's nearly three hours long, and apparently polarised people because of who knows what the fuck. I found it a rather entertaining and absorbing ride even if various parts of it are underdeveloped despite its length; though it does need to be seen more than once, for deffo. It wraps up too pat and Hollywood for my liking, but as a complete package with the cinematography and the soundtrack and the narrative's rampant cutting from one story to the next to draw (at times, heavy-handed) parallels between the six, it's a thing - a lovely, flawed, sprawling, rambling thing. I didn't regret spending those three hours on it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Got Netflix this weekend. (Re)watched Pale Rider and Dune.

Also watched the first 3 Resident Evil movies recently. Only seen the first one previously but I liked parts 2 and 3 a lot as well. Good trashy fun.

I only liked the first Resident Evil movie as that stuck much closer + stayed true to the video game series and the rules set out in them. From the 2nd movie on they went off in their own direction. The moment the zombies started coming out of the graves in the 2nd movie was the "meh" point and when I lost interest in the series.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've only played little snippets of RE1-3. RE4 is the only one I've finished so I don't care if the movies sticks to the story or not. Though I do know enough about the games to get some of the references. Loved the scene when Jill Valentine was introduced in the second movie.

Such pitch-perfect over-the-top badassery. I was laughing and fist-pumping so hard I could barely keep the popcorn in my mouth.

I'm about to watch this.

SEE HOW IT GLOWS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmwlmP5-mBA

Taking the Death Toll
    Watched Tropic Thunder last night. What an insane little movie. Also, Tom Cruise's best role.

Has anyone here been watching Hannibal? I'm enjoying it quite a bit - great cast, visually inventive, effective and chilling. The most recent episode, though, took a couple of weird - or possibly stupid - narrative shortcuts. Here's hoping it's just a one-off thing rather than a sign of things to come.

In any case, though, from what I'm hearing around the web it doesn't sound like the series has much of a chance of getting a second season, which IMO would be a shame.

Still Subjective
    Never heard of it. Is it about the historical figure or the Lecter character?

I'm watching Game of Thrones and still loving (and being shocked by!) it. Love the unpredictability; even Walking Dead isn't this happy with offing main characters.

Community recently returned to form. The first few episodes were a mixed bag, the last one was fabulous. I got halfway through and thought "this is great, this is how it used to be".

I'm also watching The Following which is a big meh but I'm invested now. Also I like Kevin Bacon.

Page 62 of 206 FirstFirst ... 1217222732374247525758596061626364656667727782879297102107112162 ... LastLast