TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 64 of 206 FirstFirst ... 1419242934394449545960616263646566676869747984899499104109114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 5135

Thread: What have you watched lately?

It's not frequent. That's the whole point. That's my explanation.

oh fucking pages

It is not a particularly frequent aspect of the books or the series. I've read them. I've seen them. So the explanation must be that either I am unsensitive to mentions of raping or you are too sensitive too them. Me being me, I think it's the latter one. 'Preoccupation' suggests that the makers of the series are subconsciously making the entire thing about rape and incest. Which, barring fairly free interpretation of the entire fucking thing, is basically not true.

verbose douchebag
    It's certainly not more frequent than the torture and killing.

The whole thing with Game of Thrones is that everything is horrible and there is no guarantee of a hero prevailing, the villain getting their come-uppance or the maiden being saved in the nick of time.
    Also, it's rape - it is nasty by default. There's never a good amount of it, and to be fair, I think the GRRM version of alluding to it being rife without going into intimate details isn't at right angles to the rest of the setting.

After the final book, I actually felt fatigued by all of the horrible twists and turns. It is brutal, relentless and in many places, plain unfair. The arcs don't follow where you want them to go, they follow the most likely path, because in GoT, the good guys don't prevail against all odds. If they are up against slim odds, shit gets likely.

I get that rape is as horrible a thing as exists, but it DOES exist, and in times of strife, when there is uncertainty of who is in charge and a general sense of carte blanche for the wicked, then you'll find a great many people include sex in their arsenal. GRRM didn't shy away from that in his pseudo-feudal (pseudal?) war-torn Westeros. In its context, I'd say it feels about right. Right in this instance being horrific and indiscriminate.

Taking the Death Toll
    You know I've given plenty of examples and you're still sitting here telling me "nope not really." So why am I even bothering, when all I've got out of it was comparisons to the Daily Mail's pet closet case and claims that I have hang-ups about sex?

I'll admit, I don't actually disagree with the basic point that (some of) the rape scenes are part of the larger "realism" framework and that I don't actually begrudge writing a fantasy history based around the War of the Roses that goes into the kinds of horrors that women of that time actually experienced. But it's all in the manner of execution, and there's honestly a little more gratuitous rape than there really absolutely needs to be, written in a super gross way, and the sex scenes in general are just plain off-putting. I'm sorry, but there's ways to do rape scenes in a way that doesn't feel gross and GRRM hasn't done it. And I strongly resent you saying that my expressing this view is some sort of negative reflection on me. Why are you guys so defensive about this? It's like "oh hey I'm not really impressed with all the rape in GoT" and you immediately jump into action with "IT ONLY HAPPENED A COUPLE OF TIMES YOU'RE JUST A WEIRDO."

I'm done with this conversation.

You have given one arguable example (which I agree with), one in the childhood past of a character, one off-camera, and two avoided potentials. Its not exactly the sheer frequency you mentioned, or 'gratuitous rape'. That's what I mean. I literally don't understand what you are talking about. Wierdo.

I don't want to fall out about this, I just want you to realise that you are REALLY WRONG.
    Last edited by Vivian; 23rd Apr 2013 at 13:29.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    That's unfair. I'm the one who's constantly telling Social Justice Sallies portrayal != condonement. But there is something off about GRRM. Much the same way there's something off about David Lapham.
    That part wasn't to you in particular, was just part of a wider missive. You know how it is when a rant gains momentum...

Not sure I hold with the "something a bit off" comment though. Many is the person who has been vilified for their eccentricities. If you're not sure, err on the side of caution.

verbose douchebag
    Dethtoll, try to remember it isn't personal, we're just talking about some books and a TV series.

I wouldn't say you are weird for not liking rape or sex scenes, but I would say that perhaps you have an aversion to them as mechanisms in fiction, or perhaps to the way GRRM does it. I'm not sure you should be trying to get agreement that it is objectively overdone.

One thing to note about Daenerys too is that her first time with Drogo is designed in such a way to provide the baseline against her eventually "taking the reins" in their intimacy. It was less rapey in the book, but only marginally and only in her internal monologue, so difficult to portray that in the show without a cheesy voice-over or similar. But as anyone can see in her relationship with Drogo, she very much ends up with him wrapped round her finger. The fight that killed him, he got into by letting one of her direct commands over-ride an imperative of the culture he grew up in.
    Last edited by faetal; 23rd Apr 2013 at 14:05.

I was under the impression that they're as graphic, raw and gross as they are on purpose to drive home the effect. It's like that line from Andrei in Bloodlines "You are revulsed. Good. Revulsion is instinctual, and instinct is a powerful level to work on."

Level 10,000 achieved

getting way off-topic here, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Actually henke I'm going to tell you right now, unspoiled, because it was obvious to everyone from the getgo except you -- Sokolov's girlfriend is Eva undercover.
    I got to the part where that's finally revealed last night. I was supposed to realize it was the same character just because they had the same face? Dude, it's a videogame! It's not like it's unheard of for developers to slap a different hairdo on a 3D model and call it another character. When I run into a person in a game that looks like someone I saw earlier in the game I don't think "that must be the same person, but undercover", instead I just assume it's supposed to be a different character.

Also Joseph Manderly is JCDenton undercover.

I just saw A J Clementes extremely brief newscaster career.

verbose douchebag
    Pretty sure he'll be head hunted by Fox.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I got to the part where that's finally revealed last night. I was supposed to realize it was the same character just because they had the same face? Dude, it's a videogame! It's not like it's unheard of for developers to slap a different hairdo on a 3D model and call it another character. When I run into a person in a game that looks like someone I saw earlier in the game I don't think "that must be the same person, but undercover", instead I just assume it's supposed to be a different character.
    Nevermind that she isn't some generic Soviet soldier but a major, named character, nevermind that Kojima games are not lazily done like other games, nevermind that the game drops multiple hints. Even Yakoob would have figured this out.

So after watching Nolan's "puzzle" movies Inception and The Prestige shortly after each other, I've decided that, despite Inception's dazzling visuals, I like The Prestige even more. A spellbinding, near-perfect masterpiece of a movie if you ask me.

Even the music by David Julyan starts to grow on me, with previous watchings I found it weak but now I realize a movie with this mood, tone and thematic content is not benefited by a sprawling, lush musical score with recognizable motifs that you remember afterwards.

Just watched "Rise of The Planet of The Apes" which is basically a reboot of the 70s movie "Conquest of The Planet of The Apes". Knowing that it is always best to watch the original before the reboot or remake I was sure to watch the 70s one first prior to Rise and am I glad I did.

Rise unlike Conquest was not the fourth in a movie series so doesn't have the story continuity etc to provide greater importance to characters so I will give it some slack there, but Rise just lacks so much of what made the original so good. To me Conquest just had a hell of alot more heart to it, was far more thrilling when the revolution eventually occurs and the reasons for it were far greater. Plus you get far more on the side of Caesar over the course of the movie and emphasize with why he takes the actions that he does.

In Rise Caesar rebelled due to being furious about the captivity in the facility he was held in, of his fellow apes, in Conquest it was due Caesar's anger over the death of the human who raised him, the worldwide enslavement of apes + use of them as a slave labor force and of the violent treatment (killing, shock treatment, forced breeding etc) .

The scale difference between the 2 movies is quite different in addition. In the original it was the beginning of a worldwide rebellion in Rise it was only a few hundred apes genetically altered wanting to go live in a forest.

Not to say that Rise wasn't good, but it wasn't even in the same ball park and used way too much CGI which resulted in many bits looking fake (eg when an ape climbed a tree, jumped around etc). Not that the costumes in use throughout the original series of movies were fantastic either.

vs

So obviously the Rise version's Caesar looked better, but with CGI in use emotions just lacked the needed effect. Andy Serkis is no Roddy McDowall when it comes to acting which played a big part of it also. That said Caesar in Rise's main emotion was anger 90% of the time compared to the Conquest version's which was more humanised and did a far broader range.

So overall the movie (Rise) was a huge disappointment. Entertaining but as is the case with MANY movie remakes and reboots it lacks the fundamental aspects which made the original so damn good. Yes the original had costumes marginally better than a Star Trek Originals tv episode but it's what you do with a story and the actors in use that make a good movie, and Rise just doesn't hold a candle when it comes to those aspects.

I'll take the costumed apes of the originals over the CGI ones used in Rise anyday. And CGI doesn't give you the excuse to slack off with acting + the overall story.
    Last edited by icemann; 10th May 2013 at 13:58.

Still Subjective
    Star Trek Into Darkness. I liked.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 11th May 2013 at 02:39.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

I just watched Silent Hill Revelationsnd it was... pretty bad. I loved the original, but this one was very disappointing. My biggest gripe is the terrible pacing - too many plot elements that could have used more exposition, the really forced and frankly unnecessary romantic element, and few shots that should have lingered just a tad bit more to build up the atmosphere. Everything just felt too rushed, squeezing too many elements in. On the upside, the acting was great (particularly from name actors) and I loved the monster design (though that's mainly from the game).

The romance in that so forced. Didn't feel right in the slightest. No chemistry whatsoever.

On my end, watched the original Alfred Hitchcock masterpiece "Psycho" for the first time ever last night, and I can now see why it's seen as such a good movie. Enjoyable from beginning to end (though more so once it gets to the "Bates Motel" bit onwards). Can certainly see the influence that the movie has had on the horror + slasher genres.

Movie had been on my todo list for QUITE some time.

Have to watch "Casablanca" at some point.

Moderator and Priest
    I am watching the new Arrested Development.

It is good.

I'm watching the old Arrested Development.

Also good.

Taking the Death Toll
    I'm watching you guys watch Arrested Development.

It's a bit of a drag.

Moderator and Priest
    Oh. I'm sorry. I thought you were a rich, successful Republican campaign strategist.

WHY? BECAUSE I'M BLACK?

P.S I have sifilus.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 26th May 2013 at 21:07.

El Shagmeister

Watched the first episode of Da Vinci's Demons. An "untold tale" take on the great Renaissance master. It's like a mixture of Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes of the gifted-yet-eccentric-to-a-fault hero and the usual shenanigans of period political intrigue with some fight scenes, T&A moments (ala HBO's Rome).

Ah, and some cheap-ish CGI to boot like in Starz's Spartacus. Though the style grows into you quicker than the gladiatorial drama's (took me a few episodes to grow used and appreciate the cheesy CGI).

I like. Color me interested. Will watch more episodes.

Oh, and I finished watching all seasons (currently 3) released of Fox's Bob's Burgers. It's another mismatched family animated sitcom, but I like its brand of humor. Specially the children, oh God, make a spinoff series of the kids alone!

Can't wait for next Sunday for Game Of Thrones' BIG EPISODE of the season (episode 9 of each season, episode 10 being the season finale and a big episode on its own right, but tends to be more of a recovering-from-last-episode's-fallout).

Fun times to be a TV fan (without watching on the TV, derp).

Got to start watching Spartacus: Gods Of The Arena soon.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Stumbled across The Last Starfighter, an old sci-fi movie that I'm guessing the world must've forgotten about since I've never heard of it.

This scene is just straight up bonkers:

Why can't the community come together to cheer me on like that when I'm about to get a highscore in a game?

I've only ever had one experience like that. Was playing "Virtua Cop" at a tourism spot west of Sydney many years ago. Ended up with a large gathering of Asian tourists watching. Was amusing.

Moderator and Priest
    I can't believe I did this. But I did it. I binge watched all 15 episodes of Arrested Development season 4. My original plan of watching it over the course of a week fell to the wayside about 3 episodes in. I had to know what happened next. Had to see how it'd all come together.

...and now, I'm feeling the full brunt of sitting in front of my computer all damn day. I'm exhausted. My head hurts. I feel like crap. But damnit, it was worth the pain. Though the pain is the major reason why the following review is going to be so short and to the point. I wanna go to bed, but I want to talk about what I've seen even more. I'm gonna endure just for this one quick quip.

The one thing I was most worried about was how the whole thing would fare after being off the air for 5 years. Usually when most shows pick up after that long of a hiatus, things don't feel quite the same as they used to. The characters usually seem like flatter, more stereotyped versions of themselves. Like "oh, they did this funny thing. Let's overplay the hell out of it". A good example of what I'm talking about would be comparing Raiders of the Lost Ark to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The first movie made Indiana Jones feel more like a real character. The latter? HEY! IT'S INDIANA JONES! LET'S WATCH HIM DO ALL THAT COOL STUFF WE EXPECT HIM TO DO. I'm sure there's a word on the internet for it, but hell if I know what it is. All I know is it sucks when it happens, and it happening here was my worst fear about this new season.

And let me tell you, I'm glad to report my fears were entirely unfounded. Other than the characters looking a little different, season 4 picks up from season 3 as naturally as can be expected, given the amount of time that's passed. The only real difference is that Michael is portrayed as being about as weird as the rest of the family this go round, rather than being the semi level headed straight man.

Overall, the new season is more self contained than 1 through 3. There are a handful of call backs that come up on occasion (Mr. F), but they're just occasional nods rather than something they beat you over the head with.

So it turned out better than I expected. It feels like a new season of Arrested Development, though one that starts a new string of stories. It's all good. That said, I'd probably consider it the weakest of the bunch for one simple reason. Sure, the writing is just as great as it's always. The references, the build ups, watching everything come together in some crazy, unexpected way...this is probably better here than it has been in the past. But the way the story is told makes it feel a little flatter in comparison.

See, each old episode would be a mix and match of what everyone was doing, and how it'd all clash together at the end. The new episodes focus on a single point of view that focuses on everything that character's done 5 years til the great craziness of Quatro de Mayo 2013. It never switches away from that character. If they're not able to see something that episode, then you won't see it. It's cool in the sense that you'll have something incredibly weird happen in the background, wonder what the hell was going, then see it put in context a few episodes later, but it's bad in the sense that each story can sometimes feel like it's retreading old ground. You'll be seeing key scenes 15 times throughout the season. Even though it's always shown from a different perspective, it can get a little old on occasion.

But that's a fairly minor quibble overall, and one that might only be a problem due to me binge watching it. Besides that, that's still Arrested Development through and through. It was worth the wait.

...oh, and don't expect any sort of closure. It all ends with a huge number of cliffhangers and unanswered questions.

Page 64 of 206 FirstFirst ... 1419242934394449545960616263646566676869747984899499104109114164 ... LastLast