TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Still Subjective
    It's the worst yet.

I hated it in Bourne Supremacy too. There was shaky cam at breakfast!

The worst I've ever experienced is The Kingdom (different director I know). Shaky cam during Scrabble! SCRABBLE! The most sedate game in the world.

I walked out.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

I've found that I like or don't mind shaky cam on TV - which is where I first saw the second Bourne movie - but it bothered me when I saw the third film at the cinema. I'm wondering whether directors, cinematographers and editors get so used to seeing the films on small screens first, while filming and editing, so they underestimate how the shaking is exaggerated on big cinema screens.

Just watched The Raid: Redemption on netflix on a whim. Turns out to be one of the best action movies I've seen ever.

It's indonesian, so if you don't speak the language you'll have to do with subs, which are well translated. Acting is great. Sound is fantastic. Very high production value.

The martial arts that I didn't know was going to be in it are of Tony Jaa / Donnie Yen caliber. Hyper-Violent, and bleak. Apparently it's been talked about before and won basically every award it had been nominated for. There's a sequel in post right now according to IMDB. And its supposed to take place 2 hours after the first movie ends. I'm getting a bit of a 24 vibe from it. But with more F-words.

Here's a ... umm... fan synopsis of the whole movie in 3 minutes.
    I'd say spoiler alert but... it's not really how the movie goes, but the pace is there and its awesome. Watch it if you're not planning on seeing the movie right away! haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_z3EBalwI4
    Last edited by Volitions Advocate; 18th Oct 2013 at 08:05. Reason: cats... yep cats.

Still Subjective
    The fighting was good until the end. The final fight is stupid.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Level 10,000 achieved
    The Raid is defenitely on my to-watch list, haven't gotten to it yet. Speaking of actionmovies there was an article on AV Club the other day where the author claims that all of today's best action movies are coming from direct-to-video, not the big screen. His ideas about what makes for a great actionscene are close to my own so I've decided to watch the movies he's recommending, starting with Universal Soldier: Day Of Reckoning last night. The story feels like they're going for some kinda heady Memento-esque concepts, but not quite getting there. The story does have some interesting moments though, and it's beautifully shot. The actionscenes are the kind that rely on the physicality of the actors, and well choreographed and executed fightscenes rather than flashy effects. Those are the best kind. Perhaps the best action sequence in the movie is the violent faux-one-take underground rampage that the hero, played by Scott Adkins, goes on towards the end of the movie, check it out:

I watched Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing over the weekend.

It a.) was quite good, and b.) made me realise Shakespeare was utter fucking nuts.

Finally finished with Breaking Bad. Was not disappointed.

Now what am I going to watch? Hear good things about Orange is the New Black, and we have Netflix, so...

Also, randomly, I watched Doom. My God, that is a shite film. I kind of expected it, but still.

I just got back into Breaking Bad after originally quitting halfway through getting tired of the slow pace and almost "every-day-esque" melodrama and unlikable characters.

Just wrapping up Season 4 and shit's getting REAL. Hooked again, and excited to watch new episodes.

Gets better. Enjoy .

And the only good bit in the Doom movie is the FPS bit. Rest is meh.

Still Subjective
    Ulu - The Wire if you haven't seen it.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    I just got back into Breaking Bad after originally quitting halfway through getting tired of the slow pace and almost "every-day-esque" melodrama and unlikable characters.
    What.

lol I knew my comment was gonna raise a few eyebrows. Between the cleptomaniac tendencies of the sister, the cheating with a boss, tax evasion attempts and growing-teenager-problems I suddenly realized I am spending most of the time watching people whom I neither like nor care for go solve their daily problems. Sure some those problems were unusual or bizarre, but it just kinda felt too melodramatic to me.

Luckily it seemed to just be a bit of a mid-series slump and things picked up. I did genuinely enjoy watching the almost economic/businessy aspect of the methworld with all the territorial control and politics involved.

Just wrapped up Season 4 and while things picked up nicely, I found the scene of Gus's death very disappointing. The way it's been shot just felt underwhelming for what a grand and important villain Gus was. And the whole "walking out with face half-gone, revealing camera pan!" just came off cheesy.

On to Season 5...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just watched the last 4 episodes of Breaking Bad. Holy fucking shit.

The last season hadn't had me hooked the way the earlier ones had. Maybe that's partly due to having watched the previous 4 seasons in a row and being a bit burned out on it. But the way the fourth-to-last episode ended there was no way I wasn't watching the last 3 right away as well.

Fuck.

The last 4 episodes are a condensed version of everything great about the show.

Yakoob, I agree about that scene. I mean, I understand that they felt they had to do something special with that scene, but... eh.

Breaking bad's Fly episode was great, I love the end scene where it gave the symbolic interpretation of the fly a more frightful meaning, in a way it stretched Walt's imagination to believe the fly was really another Bug planted to watch him 24/7, it's great how he flips his middle finger much later afterwards in relation to that scene.

As for the end, I think it was perfect. taking into account it was titled Felina, some theorized the Iron, Lithium, Sodium, which characterise the 3 elements Fe Li Na in the periodic table as something like "Blood, Meth & Tears".. Ahh yes, it's also an anagram for "Finale".

Also for those who've seen the end might wanna check this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtOfBWMOgpM

Not spoilery at all, in subtle way anyway but worth a watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ANBJksgrE
    Last edited by kora; 27th Oct 2013 at 07:30.

Still Subjective
    Enders Game

It's a pretty good adaptation that suffers from somehow just not being exciting enough and there is some weird spoiler bs sprinkled throughout. It works in the book because it's a book; in a film it's far too telling.

Tyrannosaur.

It's good to see a simplistic movie that goes against what you immediately take for granted & pulls you into how realistic the world is for some individuals.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by kora View Post
    Breaking bad's Fly episode was great, I love the end scene where it gave the symbolic interpretation of the fly a more frightful meaning, in a way it stretched Walt's imagination to believe the fly was really another Bug planted to watch him 24/7
    What kind of a sci fi explanation is that? Nonono, Walt hearing and seeing the fly when he's laying in bed trying to sleep is a hint that his cancer is back and it's spread into his brain. Remember earlier in that episode Jesse is talking about his grandmother (I think) who had been having rats in her walls (or something like that) and even after they'd gotten rid of the rats she'd still hear them although noone else did. Later on they found out that she had brain cancer and was hearing things that weren't there. Walt hearing the sound of the buzzing fly is the same thing.

Ahh ok. That's awesome, thanks for clearing it up. Still a frightful ending.

I think Henke is right, but I think the camera & the ending were not irrelevant either. The fly IMO represented his growing paranoia, which the cancer, the cameras, & how secure he felt there all played into together.

Man I hated that fly episode. Only episode in all of the seasons of the show that felt like a filler to me, other than the last 5 minutes of it.

Just watched "Escape From L.A".

The good: Kurt Russell playing Snake (Snaaaaaaaaaaake) again. The start and ESPECIALLY the end (which Deus Ex 1 ripped off big time in one of its ending choices), Bruce Campbell in his prime making a brief cameo.

The bad: Nearly every single last other character, the entire middle of the movie was SUPER cheesy compared to the 1st movie which was more on the darker side and much more serious. There was so many characters that I was just hoping would die. Some did, some didn't (grrr). And the amount of times that people would say "oh my god are you Snake Plisskin? Thought you'd be taller". Not once do they use that gag. 5 times (or more I lost count). Gah.

Have to say though, at the end when Snake does a Total Recall and uses the hologram that was gold. As was Snake deciding to send the world into a 2nd stone age. Considering how fucked the world had become I don't blame him at all. Would have been World War 3 aka Armageddon otherwise.

Funny little side note that I noticed at the start of the movie. It was supposed to be set some time in 2013. lol.

So yeah. Doesn't hold a candle to the first movie, but an enjoyable watch none the same, even if it was completely ridiculous at many points.

Still Subjective
    Thor: The Dark World

It's entertaining, looks good and is never boring. So in that respect it's good. But it also suffers from superhero special effects overload. I'm not bored yet but the Captain America 2 trailer was on before it and meh.

There were a couple of things that didn't make sense in Thor, to me. Quite a few in fact. So many that I can't remember them all right now but it's pretty incoherent at points.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Doesn't hold a candle to the first movie, but an enjoyable watch none the same, even if it was completely ridiculous at many points.
    Man, this whole post is like the polar opposite of the one I made 3 pages ago. Come on, the ridiculous parts were THE BEST PARTS! Snake playing basketball for his life and chasing a guy in a car while riding on a surfboard were pure Cinema Magic.

So I (finally) finished Breaking Bad.

EDIT: Nope, apparently Netflix doesnt have Part 2. and I just accidentally read a major spoiler about it. fml
    Last edited by Yakoob; 2nd Nov 2013 at 20:13.

Still Subjective
    What?

Netflix only has first half f last season, so I havent finished watching it yet. But I accidentally ran across a big spoiler from the last half which is a bummer.

Page 68 of 206 FirstFirst ... 18232833384348535863646566676869707172737883889398103108113118168 ... LastLast