TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Still Subjective
    Why would you think that was the end though? It's clearly to be continued. That's what I'm baffled by.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Cause I know the series ended and it was the last episode on Netflix so I assumed that's how it ended? Hence why
    *I* was baffled why people regarded it as such an amazing ending when it was a total wtf and then searched to find it wasnt an ending at all

Administrator
    That's a real shame - the complete series is on UK Netflix and only had a one day delay after being on US TV before it was available. Are you sure it's not on there?

Level 10,000 achieved
    That's odd. I have my XBox set up so I get US Netflix and only the first half of Breaking Bad's season 5 is on there. :|

Well apparently, I only ever watched the first four episodes of Battlestar Galactica and there's another 75. Fuck you Netflix, I'd like to do stuff with my life

Taking the Death Toll
    Going through the entirety of South Park, starting from the very first season (which was raw as hell.) Season 2 was gold, season 3... less so. I'll be glad when it's over and I can move on to the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I'll be glad when it's over...
    Then why do it?

Taking the Death Toll
    I missed most of the early seasons of South Park, so I want to see them at least once.

I think some things are important to watch for one's cultural education, whatever their personal opinion of them.
    SP is one of those things IMO.

Level 10,000 achieved

Watching a looooot of fucking TV. (or Netflix, rather)

Watched the second half of Season 3 of The Walking Dead. Not bad, not bad. Coming back to it just after having watched through Breaking Bad it felt a bit cheesy and melodramatic at first, but pretty soon I got into the groove of it and really enjoyed the rest of the season. Andrew Lincoln really isn't much of a leading man tho, is he? Dude's just kinda bland.

Watching the final season of The Office, only 3 episodes left. It's good! Overall a stronger season than the last one, which kinda struggled to keep going after Carrell left. In this one the show has defenitely hit it's stride again though.

Getting near the end of Metalocalypse's first (and possibly only?) season. The first 3 or 4 episodes were great but after that it's never quite managed to hit the same high notes. Still a decent morning cartoon to watch while eating a bowl of cereal and pretending like you're not a responsible adult who has to leave for work in ten minutes. Also re-watching The Tick as my morning-entertainment.

Also just started watching Arrow. The bow-and-arrow-centered actionscenes look like something out of the T4A crowd's feverish nightmares about what the gameplay in New Thief could turn out to be like, in other words it's highly entertaining. The whole process of Queen setting up his crimefighting operation and the backstory are fascenating as well. But none of the characters are especially interesting or fun to watch.
    Last edited by henke; 7th Nov 2013 at 03:54.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    The bow-and-arrow-centered actionscenes look like something out of the T4A crowd's feverish nightmares about what the gameplay in New Thief could turn out to be like, in other words it's highly entertaining.
    I know we fight a lot, but stuff like this is why we're still friends.

Regarding Arrow, does Ollie rail on about how dem evil corporations and Republicans are destroying everything or did they actually make him not irritating?

Level 10,000 achieved

My only previous exposure to the character is his small part in The Dark Knight Returns. A lot less ranting and railing in this version, I'm guessing he grows more bitter as he gets older?

Taking the Death Toll
    Or they might have excised that part of his character entirely for the TV show, which is fine by me. (I notice he's not above killing, either.) Ollie was pretty much a light-hearted Batman following his creation in the early 40s and was largely unchanged throughout the Golden and Silver ages. But sometime around 1969 he got revamped into a rah-rah lefty crusader following a storyline in which he lost everything and had to see street life from the bottom. It's become a defining aspect of his character, to sometimes annoying extent.* Though, his newfound leftist politics didn't get in the way of him being a womanizing douchebag or throwing his sidekick out on the street for heroin addiction (rather than actually trying to help the poor kid.) It's one of the big reasons I've never liked him. He's mellowed considerably in the years since, but he's still pretty much an asshole and I'll never understand what Black Canary saw in him.

* This is why he was pitted against The Question so much in TDKR -- Question was a creation of Steve Ditko who tended to use his characters (notably Mr. A, who was an even more extreme Randroid than Question) as mouthpieces for his Objectivist/right-wing philosophy. Alan Moore famously and unsurprisingly hated Ditko's characters and philosophy, and that's why Rorschach was such a ridiculous, hateful, paranoid extremist -- he was meant to be a parody and deconstruction of Randian "superheroes" Question and Mr. A. At the time of TDKR's printing (same time as Watchmen, incidentally) Question had been a very recent acquisition from Charlton Comics, and I suppose Frank Miller saw the opportunity to use a very obviously right-wing character to counter Ollie's leftist politics and provide interesting commentaries on the plot at large.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I think some things are important to watch for one's cultural education, whatever their personal opinion of them.
    SP is one of those things IMO.
    So true. Ive been doing that with games too, buying and playing games i know i would dislike for variety reasons (last express, lone survivor, farmville etc) because they all did something right or had an interesting mehanic i can learn from. Kinda like they say writers should read a lot, designers should play a lot...

Edit2: I moved my post responding to The Last Express to a better place, since it's OT here.
    Last edited by demagogue; 8th Nov 2013 at 20:00.

Taking the Death Toll
    South Park season 3 has really picked up and is reaching heretofore unknown levels of insanity. Looking forward to the movie and season 4.

Still Subjective
    Where/how are you watching it? I'd love to watch it all from the start. I did that with Curb Your Enthusiasm and I'm onto Seinfeld now.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Taking the Death Toll
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes

They finally added closed captions so I've been able to watch. One episode in Season 5 is missing and two in season 14 for reasons of Matt and Trey's safety (depictions of Mohammed.) Doesn't have the movie, either. I've rectified all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes

They finally added closed captions so I've been able to watch. One episode in Season 5 is missing and two in season 14 for reasons of Matt and Trey's safety (depictions of Mohammed.) Doesn't have the movie, either. I've rectified all of that.
    Ah yea I can see why you'd have problem with some of the weird voices for the characters. I actually tend to enable CCs on anything I watch these days cause my own speakers suck and sometimes people in shows mumble, dont want to bother rewinding :x

RE SouthPark, it's definitely a good series that's undoubtedly became part of the American culture (much like Simpsons supposedly have before). So I can see why you'd want to watch it, but also it's one of those shows that turns very same-y imho, in the sense that, you watch one season you've watched them all. Sure, the jokes and topics change, but the underlying sense of humor, viewpoints presented and overall arcs pretty much stay the same.

Still Subjective
    If it ain't broke...

Taking the Death Toll
    That and the Christmas musical episode was apocalyptically insane.

I was curious whether it was okay to post about movies in this thread, so I looked up the first post. It says "movies, not TV", lol.

Just saw Thor: The Dark World and liked it a lot. Silly, like the first Thor. Kind of sad how much Thor and Jane are overshadowed by Loki and Darcy. Even Selvig, who's just kind of there in Avengers, is great in this.

It cracks me up that Thor's big plan fails for precisely the obvious reason. Did nobody tell him the Aether is indestructible? He might've been able to just ambush Malekith instead at that point and pull it off. I suppose he did spare Asgard the showdown.

The movie really leaves most of the Asgardians hanging. What happened to Odin? The Warriors Three? Heimdall? Are they all in prison? Dead?

I think it was very strange to put the emotional payoff of the film at the very end of the credits. Referring to Thor and Jane reuniting, not the loose puppy. Speaking of that, though, I really hope the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. get roped into tracking down the dog-thing rampaging in Greenwich.

Taking the Death Toll
    Yeah I think the original scope of this thread was because there were a lot of TV threads about at the time. Nowadays it doesn't really matter I guess.

Just watched Tartakovsky's Stalker which was quite intriguing. Much more philosophical than I expected. Not sure if I understood everything tho, but I also feel it's not a movie that's supposed to be really understood in every aspect. I suppose it's ambiguity and "derive-your-own-meaning" is part of its charm?

(Heh... Stalker as reimagined by the creative mind behind Samurai Jack and The Clone Wars... Intriguing, to say the least! )

Page 69 of 206 FirstFirst ... 19242934394449545964656667686970717273747984899499104109114119169 ... LastLast