TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Still Subjective
    I caught the first episode of The Tomorrow People yesterday.

Don't bother.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

I've also been watching House of Cards, since they're finally showing it on Swiss TV. While I'm agnostic when it comes to remakes, reboots and the like, I'm having difficulties watching this one as its own thing and not thinking constantly that the original was better. To my mind, the US version lacks focus (which may largely be due to the move from four episodes to 13 without as clear an endgame) and Spacey's Underwood simply being so much less nuanced, frightening and fun as Ian Richardson's Francis Urqhart. With every episode we watch, I see what they lost compared to the original, but I'm finding it more difficult to see what they have gained in return. It's not outright bad, but it's disappointing so far.

According to the link 1 page back, that Twin Peaks rumor ended up being false. Would have been awesome if it had turned out to be true.

Incidentally that was the show I ended up deciding to watch (not due to the post). The only bad side is that I already know who killed Laura Palmer, as I used to leave my tv on late at night when doing assignments for high school, tafe, and MUCH later again uni, and during the high school or tafe days (I forget it was a long time ago) the episode which revealed the killer + that weird red carpet alternate dimension with the dwarfs talking backwards and all that was on. Man that was a weird episode.

But in either case I've never watched the entire series, just episodes here and there on the odd occasion so I'm still interested in watching it. I'm currently 3 episodes in and it sure is one odd little show. Seems like everyone's banging everyone on the side in it.

And as far as watching shows with the girlfriend goes, currently up to season 3 of Ally McBeal. Show atleast for now is still at its finest. Not looking forward to when it all starts getting ridiculously stupid.

Incidentally, Lynch said in interviews he wasn't happy giving away who killed her, but the network basically forced him. According to him, the secret was the show's golden egg and if it were up to him it'd be a mystery wrapped in a riddle wrapped in an enigma forever, and if the show gave away its golden egg it'd run out of steam very quickly, which he says is exactly what happened to cancel it. It was a lesson that the show most directly inspired by it, The X Files, took more to heart and let it coast on for a good decade.

Quote Originally Posted by NuEffect View Post
    New Girl? Have you seen Community, 30 Rock or Curb Your Enthusiasm?
    New Girl has actually grown into one of the better comedies currently airing. They mostly dispensed with the 'look how quirky Jess is' stuff about three quarters through the first season and made it much more of an ensemble thing.

Yeah, New Girl is actually quite decent.

Still Subjective
    Really? I saw the first 2 episodes when it started here and thought it was pretty poor.

How would people rank it with those other shows I mentioned? Or Attested Development?
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    It was a lesson that the show most directly inspired by it, The X Files, took more to heart and let it coast on for a good decade.

The fact that David Duchovny showed up in the show as an F.B.I agent prior to his role in the X-Files helped as well. His appearance in Twin Peaks was quite memorable.

@ NuEffect:

I haven't seen any of those (bar maybe 2 or 3 episodes here or there), so I can't really comment.

Plus, I'm not saying New Girl is the best thing since sliced bread, but compared to execrable* stuff like Rules of Engagement or 2 Broke Girls it's good.

* Happy now, Sulph?
    Last edited by N'Al; 10th Jan 2014 at 05:03. Reason: Damn you, icemann!

Level 10,000 achieved
    My reaction to the ending of the first episode of Orange Is The New Black: 7 seconds of stunned silence followed by hysterious laughter.

This fucking show. Ok, I'm in!

Still Subjective
    I'm re-watching Battlestar Galactica with my gf who hasn't seen it.

Good lord Starbuck is annoying. And nasty. A real antisocial undisciplined rude and unreasonable infestation of a person. I never really noticed just how awful she is last time.

They fret about supposed moral choices that seem pretty clear to me too. Leaving the FTL-less ships, destroying that nuke trap ship (so far) - both clearly the only logical things to do unless they want to all die.

I thought it would have aged badly but it holds up so far. I dig the themes though. Shame I know how poor the ending is. It's still the best recent sci fi show I can think of though, which says something about sci fi ATM

I love sci fi (mostly from books actually) but most sci fi films and shows don't do the themes justice, which is really frustrating.

Oh, and we're watching on iTunes with those awful "HEY I KNOW YOUR WATCHING THIS EPISODE BUT LET ME PREVIEW THE WHOLE THING FOR YOU YOU IMPATIENT SO AND SO" bits at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    My reaction to the ending of the first episode of Orange Is The New Black: 7 seconds of stunned silence followed by hysterious laughter.

This fucking show. Ok, I'm in!
    Hah, took me few more episodes to really get into it but i've been hooked. I got a few beefs with it, but it's a pretty interesting and witty show that feels fresh.

Still Subjective
    So I saw Wolf of Wall Street. Yeah, it's long and I did feel it. But I enjoyed it all the same. There were a lot of scenes that were over long but overall it was a pretty enjoyable ride. It wasn't amazing though.

3/5

Also saw 12 Years a Slave. Unreal. Amazing performances all around with Ejiofor and Fassbender being incredible. Lupita Nyong'o, who plays Patsey, was brilliant too.

4/5

On a side note - I'm in a disagreement on another forum over 12 Years. Some people started talking about whether it passes the Bechdel test and my position is; if you're applying this test to a film like this you've missed the point.

verbose douchebag
    I liked TWoWS a fair bit, probably 7.5/10 for me, but it wasn't up to Scorsese's usual standards. Felt a bit off piste for him too, like a drier take on Fear and Loathing...

Still Subjective
    If you're ranking out of 10 why have a .5 in it? Do percent!

I used to rank out of 10 but now its strictly 5.

TWoWS is nearly a 4, but just... not. Imho. If I had to translate your ranking to mine it would still get a 3 because it's just shy of 4 (8/10 on your scale). I don't round up, because I'm mean like that. Its a solid 4 or not one at all.

verbose douchebag
    I like a 20 degree scale. Not sure why. Just sometimes I have trouble differentiating a 7 from an 8. I doubt the scale has a linear relationship with my enjoyment either, it's probably a weird bi-phasic thing.

Just saw Safety not guaranteed. Not at all what i expected, but not in a bad way. Better quality than i thought. Tho the past fourth gets bit cliche/predictable.

A Field in England. What did I just watch?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just finished watching Season 4 of Community. I wasn't expecting much from the Dan Harmon-less season, but ended up being pleasantly surprised. There weren't really any standout episodes like season 2 and 3's Dinner with Andre and Timelines episodes, but it was a really consistently good season nonetheless, with a few flashes of genius.

Now it's back to Orange Is The New Black, I guess. I'll keep watching it, even though it's starting to feel a bit Ally McBeal-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Just saw Safety not guaranteed. Not at all what i expected, but not in a bad way. Better quality than i thought. Tho the past fourth gets bit cliche/predictable.
    Well I for one did not see that ending coming.

Two episodes into True Detective, and I can safely say that it's the most promising show I've caught since Breaking Bad. Bleak and foreboding in a Se7en-ish way, great characters and a story that takes off right away.

Do. Not. Miss.

On to season 2 of Twin Peaks (and currently midway through that). For a show with all its very odd twists and turns, it's an excellent show on the overall whole.

Nice to know also that what I thought was the final episode of the show may not be, considering that the original "killer" (if you could call him the killer since the guy was possessed by a demon) was revealed, and yet the show is far from over since the demon can simply just jump into someone else and pick up where it left off. As I remembered, David Duchovny's appearance in the show sure has been memorable. Looking forward to watching the movie "Twin Peaks - Fire Walk With Me" when I'm done with the main series.

Still Subjective
    Just finished watching Season 4 of Community. I wasn't expecting much from the Dan Harmon-less season, but ended up being pleasantly surprised.
    I wasn't bad. You know Season 5 has started, right? And that Harmon is back.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yup! Gonna wait till the whole season's aired before watching tho.

Now it's back to Orange Is The New Black, I guess. I'll keep watching it, even though it's starting to feel a bit Ally McBeal-ish.
    That's how I felt at first too, but after halfway point it starts to get pretty interesting with several concurring themes and plottwists developing. The ending of first season leaves me really wanting to see the next.

Or maybe I'm just a big girl on the inside

[Safety Not Guaranteed] Well I for one did not see that ending coming.
    See I actually did hope it turns out the guy is psycho and the whole thing was in his head, OR that he just disappears altogether, maybe with like a note to the girl in the tinbox and when she goes back home there's a vague hint that her mom's alive. But I'm a sucker for mystery/psychological type movies.

Quote Originally Posted by ToolHead View Post
    Two episodes into True Detective, and I can safely say that it's the most promising show I've caught since Breaking Bad.
    I second that. It's early still but it may be one of the best shows currently on tv. I really recommend it.

Page 73 of 206 FirstFirst ... 232833384348535863686970717273747576777883889398103108113118123173 ... LastLast