TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Still Subjective
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Taking the Death Toll
    In the absence of actual content I have no idea what your reaction is.

Still Subjective
    Saw The Other Woman.

It's not as bad as I thought it'd be and had a few funny moments. It is, however, the same film as the trailer. If you've seen the trailer you know every major plot point and will have zero surprises. I know the plot is just the hook for the comedy to hang on but its so very lame to know exactly how things are going to pan out.

3/5

It was far, far better than Transcendence though, which was disjointed drivel of a most odious nature. It's not that the trailer had revealed the plot (again!) or that it got silly, its that it was just terrible. The designs were awful, the sets were boring, the script was dull and it all added up to an unholy mix of good ideas overcooked in twittery. With massive plot holes. Just avoid it. Its so bad it skipped past any semblance of good-bad or even hilarious-bad.

1/5

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    The trailer for The Other Woman gives the entire film away, as do most others these days. Teaser trailers are what trailers used to be.
    Hence why it's best to watch the worldwide trailers rather than the American ones. American trailers tend to spoil the entire movies for some odd reason.
    Last edited by icemann; 27th Apr 2014 at 05:26.

Still Subjective
    They sometimes play the American ones here in the cinema. More so recently.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Taking the Death Toll

I have been sucked into a video service lately, which I got for free, since I already was a prime member of that large internet retailer. So I watched a whole bunch of movies.
    Jumper (2008) - Good idea for a scifi film, ruined by a terrible script and cast.
    10,000 BC (2008) - Starts out like Conan, then degenerates into an inconsequential effects-fest.
    The Limits of Control (2009) - I had heard excellent things about this Jim Jarmusch film. And yes, it is nicely filmed, but I guess I'm not enough of a cinéaste to enjoy the film just for that. And the story's been plodding on in a pseudo mysterious repetitive way. I have a feeling there must be more to it and I should watch the second half. But it also could be that it ends just as artsy as it starts and the people who praised this film just have a different taste.

In order to finally see a film I knew I'd enjoy I watched Jackie Brown (1997) - one of two Tarantino films that I'd thoroughly enjoyed when I first saw it and that actually had me feeling connected to the protagonist. I wasn't disappointed. De Niro plays the dumb thug so deliciously and Pam Grier is so smart and hot, I couldn't help but root for her again.
    Wanting to relive that I went into a little Pam Grier excursion and watched Foxy Brown (1974, entertaining, overly brutal and at times smarter than I'd expected) and The Arena (also 1974) which is hilarious just for having Grier cast as a jungle cat who gets kidnapped and sold as a Roman slave/gladiator together with a pagan priestess of the same fate from Britannica. The plot is very formulaic but the formula includes cat fights, shower scenes and of course gladiator fights, so I'm not complaining. None of these early films are on the level of Jackie Brown but they do have a certain trashy, sensational appeal.

Films on my list are Crazy Heart (2009) with Jeff Bridges as a rocked down country musician (Isn't that his real job?) and My Sassy Girl (2001).

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to say that and I've no evidence for the reason(s), I just see the effect of the trend. The trailer for Pompeii is just as bad. I hope they don't ruin Godzilla with it as the teaser trailer is solid.

And reason enough to not watch any further trailers till you watch the movie. Better that, than having it completely spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    In order to finally see a film I knew I'd enjoy I watched Jackie Brown (1997) - one of two Tarantino films that I'd thoroughly enjoyed when I first saw it and that actually had me feeling connected to the protagonist.
    Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best in my opinion. Fantastic actors all-round, really solid script and structure and it has a sort of class that Pulp Fiction, while highly enjoyable, didn't quite have. Gotta rewatch this.

Recently I watched Star Trek: Into Darkness on telly. Without going into detail, it confirmed that J.J. Abrams was a competent filmmaker while the screenwriting trio Kurtzman, Orci and Lindelof can't write for shit. The picture is well structured, the action exhilarating and fun and the actors very well directed, but the script is an unforgivable mess of new things that happen constantly in order to make the viewer forget the stupidity and/or pandering of what just happened.

When Abrams learns that the average film needs atmospheric, down-tempo sections to make it breathe, he will become a very good director. When Lindelof realizes that he destroys everything he touches... Well no, nothing, I guess. Hollywood's too busy sucking his dick to tell him to go back to filmwriting school.
    Last edited by Briareos H; 27th Apr 2014 at 07:22.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    And reason enough to not watch any further trailers till you watch the movie. Better that, than having it completely spoiled.
    You're right.

I'll just tell the cinema to stop showing them before the film next time I go. I'm sure they'll be fine with that.

I just watched an oldie, Mommy Dearest, which was a pretty depiction of how messed up the human psyhe can get. Sadly, ive seen similar examples in the real world, which made the movie all that much creepier...

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    You're right.

I'll just tell the cinema to stop showing them before the film next time I go. I'm sure they'll be fine with that.
    I was more meaning in regards to online trailers when you have a choice of whether or not to watch it.

Still Subjective
    Yeah. I watch teasers but try avoid others.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Recently picked up a DVD boxset of Community's 4 seasons, so I'm rewatching it. The bonus content is great, especially the outtakes. Some great improv talent in this show, but the most pleasant surprise was Alison Brie's freestyle rap skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    The Limits of Control (2009) [...] I have a feeling there must be more to it and I should watch the second half. But it also could be that it ends just as artsy as it starts and the people who praised this film just have a different taste.
    Don't bother. It's like the whole movie builds towards this actionscene and when it finally gets there it skips right past it and just ends. Limits Of Control was a terrible movie. A self-indulgent wank-fest. If you turn up the volume and listen on a 5.1 setup from the rear right speaker you can faintly hear the sound of Jim Jarmusch jerking off during every single shot. Watch Ghost Dog again instead.

Spring Breakers. An absolute acid trip of a movie. I do believe there is a self-aware satire at work in the direction, which is simultaneously sleazy and sexy (in different ways at different times), fun and grim, thrilling and disgustingly unglamorous, and always seems to trade scenes off against each other to create parallels, ironies, conflict, dissonance. It's very textural, it absorbs you in some seems, then repulses you or forces the "movie"ness of his word square in the face to (depending on the intention) either take you on the ride or rip you out of it. Franco was a revelation. We've got to form a view here on where "My shit" sits in the pantheon of cinema's great monologues. The gear shifts in his performance and emotional output was sometimes amazing, two/three tonal shifts in a single 30 second scene. All the while, this may sound like it was a great movie... I can't honestly recommend it to anyone. There's a certain type of viewer who will get taken on this journey and come out the other side feeling rewarded, not ripped off, not shit on, not like they were an audience experiment for Korine's amusement. But I enjoyed it.

Saw All Is Lost recently. A pretty good survival film along the lines of Castaway or 127 hours, and Redford is very convincing in the role. A few scenes had me thinking to myself "is that even possible?," but I could be wrong on that as I'm not a boat guy. Otherwise, it had a very realistic feel. A review I read made an excellent point too - in other movies of this type, the solo actor has at least some type of foil, such as Tom Hank's Wilson, or the Tiger in Life of Pi. But this was literally only Redford for the entire 2 hours, battling the elements. The fact that the guy is like 75 and in a situation that requires some physical ability too, made it that much more interesting.

In any case, a good watch, I'd give it 7/10.

I've just watched all the episodes of Silicon Valley and while the story/events are interesting, I realized I hate almost all characters. Either they're uninteresting dicks, or complete dumbasses.

Also, the tech-talk is bs. Except for SCRUM; at least got one thing semi-right.

Up to season 7 of Supernatural and the shows still excellent. Not been a dull season so far yet. Quite impressed. Stories been pretty good on the overall whole across all the seasons.

I'm slowly working my way through every "Top 100 Movies of All Time" list that I can find from notable sites and magazines. I've got my next few years of movie watching set out.

All is Lost was something else, yeah. It was about as opaque a movie as I've ever seen.

Still Subjective
    Edge Of Tomorrow

Now I wish they'd kept the original name - All You Need Is Kill - and I care because I really enjoyed this. I won't give any spoilers here and for God's sake do not watch an American trailer, just in case. Even the UK trailer revealed a little too much and from it I was able to extrapolate a major plot point. I could have been wrong (it could have gone another way) but I wasn't.

Anyway - Cruise is on form, again (I really enjoy his acting. It's a shame in RL he's so odd), Blunt is perfect in the role as badass soldier/hotness mmmm. This is interesting sic-fi in that the major device is both fun, oddly terrifying and opens up possibilities for real sentimental claptrap. Just like in Oblivion actually. Funny that.

The premise is put to really good use throughout and of course it looks and sounds great. The design of the tech is pretty derivative but original enough to give it it's own atmosphere. The action sequences are mostly good with some really excellent bits, but the final action sequence is a bit too EPIC in parts. Which is a shame because the rest of it really good and it's not boring at all.

Cruise seems to like his sic-fi with a "thing" (Minority Report, Oblivion and now this) and long may it continue. This isn't Alien/Blade Runner level sci-fi (what is?) but it kicks Godzilla's ass all over and is the best big screen sic-fi I've seen for a while. It's way above standard fare and I think most people will prefer it to Oblivion. I should, logically, prefer it to Oblivion because Oblivion is full of holes (yeah, this has a couple) but Edge of Tomorrow doesn't have the atmosphere that Oblivion does. I dunno; maybe it's the soundtrack, which is pretty forgettable, as compared to Oblivion's great soundscapes.

Good job.

4/5

Bonus points for Bill Paxton. Always have Bill Paxton. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    This isn't Alien/Blade Runner level sci-fi (what is?) ...
    Just watched "The Machine".
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2317225/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Some people compared it to BR, which I didn't find a completely unfair comparison.
    It was well thought out if not completely original.
    But in between some things hashed over a few times before it also had more then a few unexpected twists thrown in.

It looks great, especially for what is undoubtedly a miniscule budget compared to an average hollywood sc-fi.

The CGI is clean and creative, the architecture is clever.
    It borrows more than a few nods to BR.
    The eyes, some music, some imagery...
    But not in a ripping something else off for lack of any other creativity way.

The only real complaint I might have was a bit two much melodramatic piano music in the background, and the main character was a smidge whiny.

But it kicked the dogisht out of any hollywood sci-fi I've seen in years, except for maybe DOFP.

Jodorosky's Dune is playing in my city,
    I think thats what I'll see next.

Last night went to see "Bad Neighbours". Went into it expecting the trailer I'd seen of it to completely spoil the entire movie + of the movie being really bad, but was pleasantly surprised on both counts as it's an excellent movie that has some really funny bits. Good beginning, middle and end. Pretty much a A-Typical Seth Rogen movie. 8/10.

Enjoyed it far more than Godzilla a few weeks ago.

Watched a 2002 Spanish movie called Talk To Her (Hable Con Ella). Reminded me of Open Your Eyes in that loneliness was the real theme, well friendship in the wake of shared loneliness maybe, packaged in psychological hijinks (not exactly cyberpunk this time, but still on the postmodern end of playing with the memory or consciousness of a character), this about the twisted unreal love "lives" of men brought into a "relationship" with coma patients.

Both movies were definitely trading in male neurosis considering the central women didn't really exist as real people for most of the movie, and I have no doubt people would want to slam it for flunking the Bechdel test in a pretty dramatic way, but I don't think that has to be bad when the whole point of the movie is exploring men dealing with the ambiguities of impossible relationships that the coma angle just pries open.

Aside from all that, it's enough of a hook for a respectable story about the messed up friendship between the two men taking care of these women too, and the natural drama of the situation.

Page 77 of 206 FirstFirst ... 2732374247525762677273747576777879808182879297102107112117122127177 ... LastLast