TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Still Subjective
    It's all tic.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Watched Pacific Rim very recently as well. I took those as voluntary, cheeky nods to both anime (which more often than not has uncannily similar levels of characterization) and old adventure movies/shows. Doesn't make them less painful to watch but at least they don't harm the joyful, slightly comedic tone of the film. I just wish the characters and their interactions had been more over-the-top and colorful.

Watched Wolf Creek last night. I'm not a fan of movies done in my country for the most part. Majority are just boring, crappy movies, but this one was awesome. Really great movie. John Jarratt who played the bad guy in it, I had seen quite a bit over the years on various TV shows. But never outstanding performances or anything. Never expected him to be so damn great playing a bad guy.

Had been a VERY long time since I'd watched a horror movie that had a funny likeable bad guy in it. Very Freddy Krueger-ish.

Looking forward to watching the sequel.

My friends voted on Pompeii to watch tonight. I usually don't look for ratings, but if a movie is a CGI fest I might peek, and this one is hovering in 30 to 40% territory. Ugh. Didn't help that our second choice, the new Xmen, was in 90% territory. Well, here we go.

Match Point: Quite honestly don't know what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't Jane Austen reimagined by Woody Allen set in contemporary London that suddenly becomes a grand guignol third act what the fuck. Though I suppose I should have guessed it with the Italian operatic motif throughout!

This Is The End: A bunch of famous friends hanging out and doing loads of drugs in a loosely established apocalypse backdrop doesn't actually make for compelling viewing, guys. Though ending in heaven and the scene where the blue light beams slice off the demon's cock was actually kinda funny.
    Last edited by Scots Taffer; 15th Jun 2014 at 06:27.

Haha Pompeii was pure ham. Sort of glad I had such low expectations for it now. It made it more fun. The funniest thing that ran through my mind was the volcano exploding was not even the most predictable part of the plot. :lol:

Honestly, I was bit surprised at the ending.

My friends were too. My thought going in was that the embracing skeletons were the most famous remains, so I bet they started the movie with that end in mind.

But in my last post I was more thinking about just how transparently cliche so many lines and tropes were, and not only how easily I imagined the elevator pitch -- "it's Titanic meets Gladiator meets every recent apocalypse movie" -- but how closely they stuck to the formula. It was just me though. My friends were so happy to finally see a "historical" movie for a change.

But, yeah, aside from all that, it was fun CGI pr0n.

Watched Wolf Creek 2 last night and man they REALLY fucked this one up.

The first is a damn great movie, with a funny likeable bad guy + is a very unpredictable movie. The sequel in comparison is a predictable boring piece of crap. The start of it is awesome, but the rest is just plain boring and really pissed me off. Why? Because it screams AUSTRALIA, to the point that myself an Australian citizen was offended due to just how much it screams it.

How does it scream it? Well not far into the movie, you can tell that the director of it was thinking "hmm the world only really knows Australia for it's kangaroos, aussie ockers who say g'day mate and it's outback, and the first movie only had the outback". So what do you know kangaroos feature a few times in it, and then a stereotypical (by the American thinking of what Australia is like, compared to how it really is), aussie home complete with boring aussie ockers in it. Zzzzzzz.

Then for fucks sake, it features a quiz on Australia. To remind viewers that it's a movie set in AUSTRALIA. Gah . And THEN they burst into song, singing common old aussie songs (ie Waltzing Matilda, Tie the kangaroo down etc). AHHHHHHH .

On top of that, from about midway onwards it features boring characters and a really dull predictable script.

By the end of the movie I was barely awake and really angry at it. In addition they fucked up the main bad guy. Way too over the top, to the point of being completely ridiculous. Where in the first movie they left things un-shown to add mystery and add tension, this time around they just show everything, and re-use many things that were already done FAR BETTER in the first.

Avoid this movie like the plague. An insulting movie to my fellow aussie's and just a really terrible movie on the overall whole.

Just saw Edge of Tomorrow and really liked it, especially as a gamer. Reminded me of the frustration of repeating the same sequence over and over until you literally memorize where each enemy pops up from. Cruise should've yelled "fucking checkpoint saves"

Save states. So much better .

Once you've used emulators enough, they become a thing you love to have.

For some reason, currently beyond my comprehension, I've been watching the US legal series, The Practice. It has some rather good guest type appearances though. I've been in court in the UK about 5 or 6 times as a witness, mostly magistrates court but twice in crown court. And the UK legal dramas that we have seem to be quite like the real thing although my experience is obviously not that extensive.

So, for the legal eagles or anyone else with experience here, are US legal dramas like the real thing. For instance, I was struck by the appearance in court of an 11 year old rape victim having to face her rapist. I'm watching 2001 episodes at the moment but I believe that in 1999 or earlier, over here, they brought in a law for vulnerable and minor witnesses who no longer had to face people and could give their evidence either from behind a screen or by video link. Do 11 year olds still have to face their accused rapists? Are the shenanigans that seem to go on in US courts real or is it put on for dramatic effect?

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post

So, for the legal eagles or anyone else with experience here, are US legal dramas like the real thing.?
    Wouldn't know about dramas but Judge Judy and Joe Brown are pretty accurate representations of what an arbitration hearing is like.

Legal shows are definitely dramatized. The one that lawyers tend to appreciate for being as close to accurate as one could expect for tv is Law & Order.

Game of Thrones Season 4 is the first where it finally feels like it's truly adapting the books and departing from the source material as necessary to depict the broader universe. This is an exciting development but an oddly disconcerting experience as a viewer who has read all but the most recent book.

Thanks guys. We do have Judge Judy over here and it's pretty funny in small doses. I'm moving on from The Practice, at least for now. Despite interesting legal/moral dilemmas, the main characters are not particularly likeable and the overacting makes it too irritating to watch anymore. I might have a bit of a look at Law and Order. I like Michael Moriarty and I've seen one or two of the other main actors before.

Another Blackadder actor has gone the way of Rik Mayall. Nursie has died so maybe it's time for a bit of Blackadder.

Love Judge Judy. Only show worth watching in the afternoons over here. Rest is absolute crap.

The fight between the Mountain and the Viper

Fuck you HBO

You made me feel that all over again

It's a little sickening to know how much Judge Judy makes per year.

(and yes, I'm completely jealous, who wouldn't be?)

Still Subjective
    That's a ridiculous amount of money that no one needs to earn.

Saw Maleficent finally. 3/5. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special either. The "twist" on the story was a bit uninspired and the best thing about it was Angelina's face, which was great.

Just finished the Wall episode, only the finale is left. Season 4 of GoT is where it has transcended being merely a good adaptation of the books, but instead become a great show in its own right.

verbose douchebag
    Completely agree. Martin's story has really benefited from a tidy-up.

As someone who hasn't read the books, I can say that GoT has been great TV right from the start. Are you guys saying that the show in season 4 has diverted significantly from the books, to the point where it's essentially doing it's own thing? I knew there were a few differences, but I didn't think it was anything that drastic.

verbose douchebag
    It's trimmed a lot of fat, added in some stuff to make other stuff more clear and bent a few storylines to meet where in the book they didn't. All has had the effect of making it feel neater and less meandering. Me likey. No doubt the book purists are soaking the forums with acid though.

Sometimes I'm very disappointed by the dramatisation of a book I've read and enjoyed and sometimes I'm disappointed by a book after I've seen the dramatisation. Any thoughts on whether someone who really likes the TV would like the books as well? Meandering is OK.

Page 84 of 206 FirstFirst ... 34394449545964697479808182838485868788899499104109114119124129134184 ... LastLast