TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I thought Dawn was better, because it wasn't saddled with the whole three-arc origin story structure for Caesar. I find origin stories generally tiresome, especially when we already know the entire plot of the movie beforehand (as is the case for reboots). The majority of Dawn is from the apes' PoV, and I find it all the more stunning that it evokes more empathy - at least, it did for me - with the apes' situation than the humans', even with a pretty good showing from a couple decent specimens of humanity. It's an achievement in narrative and technical adroitness, from concept right down to execution. I'm thoroughly impressed with how many balls it managed to juggle at the same time almost flawlessly through most of its 130 minutes.
    Like I said, I'd had no previous experience with the franchise before Rise (I saw the remake on TV after I saw Dawn), so the whole thing was new to me. I didn't know anything about the series before.

On the apes vs humans thing, I think one of the greatest things in the movie was how both sides saw each other, and how the reality was far more complicated. Apes think humans are oppressive and evil, but they turn out to be a mixed bag. Humans think apes are dumb animals, but they're smart enough to spark off a war. Then there's the fact that everyone has a perfectly justifiable motive for their actions. No one's particularly evil, or virtuous. They're all just fighting for themselves.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Past couple days I've started delving beyond Netflix's frontpage and discovered a few movies I've been wanting to see for a while.

Happy-Go-Lucky - movie about a ridiculously cheerful primary school teacher named Poppy, who starts taking driving lessons from a crazy guy. It was good! 4/5 stars.

Cleaner - the one late-carrier Renny Harlin movie that supposedly doesn't suck. And indeed it doesn't! Samuel L Jackson and Ed Harris delivers some good performances. But I think the best performances was by a young girl by the name Keke Palmer, who plays Jackson's daughter. She's good! She's gonna be big one day. Anyway, this was a solid thriller with a decent twist at the end. However, I watched The Secrets In Their Eyes right afterwards, and that one made this one look like amateur hour. 3/5

The Secrets In Their Eyes - HOLY FUCK WHAT A GOOD MOVIE! It's terrifying, and funny, and has great characters and great dialogue. I wasn't surprised to see that it's in the IMDb Top 250 afterwards. Just watch it ok! 5/5

verbose douchebag
    Noah 7/10

Aka Noah the pious psychopath. Proof positive that if nothing else, religious mythology is at least good for spawning entertaining fan fic.
    Would watch again.

I saw Noah on one of my many recent long flights. I'd probably second that opinion. I liked that it was decidedly the Jewish brand of the story (i.e., had the golems), and had a more surreal bent on divinity, or in visual style at least, but it wasn't all that deep.

The catch for me is that I wrote my own Flood fanfic, so I have a lot material in my head on the story already from that and it went deeper on a lot of things. So it was sometimes annoying for me to see which elements he focused on and which he left out, and for the most part I still like my treatment better as a story. But IMO this was made more as an ambience piece to sell action, a visual style, and a mood than much of a story anyway.

In recent news for me, since I no longer have a functioning internet connection that can really download anything larger than text, I'm going through tv shows I have on my external HDD, and next on the list is Lost. I watched about half of season 1 this weekend. A lot of the interest is introducing the backstories for the main characters each episode, which I imagine loses relevance as the show goes on (but maybe not?), except something tells me something in Locke's background has been building up to this. I can see why it was so popular though. It pretty much crystallizes the "conflicting personalities on a deserted island" trope.

verbose douchebag
    I lost (pfffff) interest after 3 episodes. I strongly dislike Abrams' style I think. I didn't like Fringe either for almost the exact same reason.

In other news, I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Double recently. Both of which get a very comfortable 9/10 from me. Both of which I was sorely tempted to watch all over again as soon as they were finished. On opposite ends of the scale, the former is, I think, the pinnacle of an established auteur's career while the latter marks the amazing entrance of another.

Still Subjective
    Yeah they were both very good. The Double was really odd though and the ending was very ack. It really reminded me of Eraserhead in some way.

If you haven't seen it, and you like Mia Wasikowska, watch Stoker. I loved that film. It was just so goddamn gaaaaaahhh.

Lost started off really well. The premise was really good, the first couple of series worked really well. It had a great atmosphere and some really good characters but by the end it had just got too crazy and that last season can gtfo.

Yep. The ending of Lost made me wish I could get back all the time I spent watching the whole thing.

All I can think is (massive Lost spoilers) that they originally planned to have the big twist be that they were all dead and the island was purgatory, but the internet figured that theory out within five seconds, so they meandered about throwing red herrings and curve balls in to buy time to think of something better, but instead ended up with a mess of massively convoluted story threads that just kept piling more and more questions on with no answers until eventually they had to lamely spin the original concept on it's head just to try and squeeze out any kind of coherent conclusion. It's quite clear by the end that there was no "master plan" being worked towards, and when the main premise of your show is enticing the audience in with intriguing mysteries, to not have any kind of overall truth to it is really insulting to that audience.

Still Subjective
    Saw the new Planet of the Apes.

It's very well done but it really dragged, plot not interesting enough to keep me engaged. 3/5

I plan to watch The Fall, a BBC series with Gillian Anderson. Is it any good? Not that it would really deter me, because Scully.
    Oh yeah, I read about it here: http://www.npr.org/2013/12/07/249240...in-high-school

I absolutely loved Lost from start to finish, though the final season was quite a bit all over the place definitely. Best seasons were 1,2 & 5.

If you came out of the finale thinking they all died in the plane crash then your wrong. Though it can be a bit difficult to fully get what in the hell was going on in the final season.

The absolute final episode (the 10 minute one on the dvd released several months after the "finale") adds further mystery.

No, I know that it really ended the other way round, by which point the plane crash had almost nothing to do with anything. I was just speculating that that was their original plan for the ending, which would have been neat and made sense.

For me, I think if they'd gone for something far less convoluted it would have gone down better.

As an example. I completely got the ending, despite its complexity. My girlfriend who'd watched it with me (as well as the other episodes) was like "huh? I don't get it" in comparison and I had to explain it to her.

I'll give the show points though for the most cliff hanger endings throughout the shows span. More so in final 3 seasons of it.

It's not that the ending was complex - I wouldn't even say it was, although it may have been complicated and convoluted. My issue with Lost's ending - and I'm saying this as someone who more or less enjoyed it up to the end - is that, as nicked said, it's got more or less nothing to do with the series we've been watching for seven years, other than the characters. The plane crash and the island become totally irrelevant to one half of the series' final season, which is stupid for a series that was always largely about plot and its own island mythology.

All discussions of Lost always make me so happy I quit after the first or second episode of season 2

Anyway, for me, I'm living in a foreign country usually without internet access. So I really just need something in English & entertaining for a little dose of normalcy, and it's been delivering that much.

I'll also admit I got a Minecraft fan map of the island with all the sites, and my curiousity was killing me. So I felt I needed to watch the show to know the back stories to them. (The show kind of plays like a MC map TBH.) I actually really like that map, and the very idea of mapping fictional places to explore on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    It's not that the ending was complex - I wouldn't even say it was, although it may have been complicated and convoluted. My issue with Lost's ending - and I'm saying this as someone who more or less enjoyed it up to the end - is that, as nicked said, it's got more or less nothing to do with the series we've been watching for seven years, other than the characters. The plane crash and the island become totally irrelevant to one half of the series' final season, which is stupid for a series that was always largely about plot and its own island mythology.
    I totally agree. The plot was too much for some people I believe, especially when you really need to watch all the episodes or you will likely miss something big and important to the plot. I waited til it was all done, then streamed the episodes in season long marathons... the best way to watch it! No cliff hangers that last longer than me pressing the "next" button, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    All discussions of Lost always make me so happy I quit after the first or second episode of season 2
    I think I bailed somewhere in season 2. I'm so proud of that decision.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Edge of Tomorrow!

That was good. It actually does some really interesting things with the concept. The alien designs are fantastic! Terrifying and truly alien. The last act is a bit dull though. Which is odd, since the stakes are raised significantly at that point, but it just ended up feeling a bit more like a generic sci fi action story at that point. The ending was a tad too convenient and positive as well.

Since it was about resetting history, the ending had the potential to do some pretty mind-bending stuff, so in that respect it went the humdrum safe route. I give it total credit for working out the concept pretty well. It makes you wonder why another movie hadn't ever picked up on it in quite the same way, so in that sense it was an "inevitable" movie that had to get made sooner or later, and they did well with it.

The bit I don't get about the ending is with the whole reset occurring and yet the aliens are still all dead. If everything was reset back to the start of the day they should have been all back alive again.

I thought they were alive but got easily defeated because the big guy was dead and couldn't predict the future anymore. Only the big guy couldn't resurrect himself. My memory is hazy on it though.

Still Subjective
    Yep. The boss was gone and they lost the power.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Quote Originally Posted by gkkiller View Post
    On the apes vs humans thing, I think one of the greatest things in the movie was how both sides saw each other, and how the reality was far more complicated. Apes think humans are oppressive and evil, but they turn out to be a mixed bag. Humans think apes are dumb animals, but they're smart enough to spark off a war. Then there's the fact that everyone has a perfectly justifiable motive for their actions. No one's particularly evil, or virtuous. They're all just fighting for themselves.
    Yea I just saw the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and like it for the same reasons. I loved it when Cesaer said "we are just like humans" which was an interesting way of communicating an old point - usually it's the humans who discover they are just as "bad" as the monster they are fighting, but here it was reversed. The message is still the same though

And I find the pacing intriguingly interesting - rather than a usual rise/fall of the arch it felt like there were multiple small bumps along the way. Every time a "good thing" happened a darker plot twist followed, and vice-versa. Constantly kept me on my toes.

Only complaint - some of the CGI wasn't that great, particularly the opening and that bear. I mean it does look technically impressive but still... more "fake" than real (uncanny valley territory maybe?)

T
    Last edited by Yakoob; 25th Jul 2014 at 18:36.

Still Subjective
    I didn't like that "human" aspect of Rise because it's bs. Chimps are ultra violent territorial horrors that will rip your face, balls and limbs off just for not being in their gang. The way they made out that they were all chilled and hippies and nature maaaan was irritating nonsense.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 26th Jul 2014 at 02:42.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Ultraviolet chimps eh? "If you see the trees glowing purple... you run."

But seriously, I didn't really get that vibe:

1. They're super apes, so giving them ethics and moral quandaries is not just interesting, but absolutely necessary if we are to believe them as rational, thinking beings, not animals. 2. It's only Caesar, who was raised by humans, and has wisdom, that keeps their tribal nature in check. The speed at which the apes attacked the minute he was gone is testament to that.

Page 87 of 188 FirstFirst ... 374247525762677277828384858687888990919297102107112117122127132137187 ... LastLast