TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

verbose douchebag
    I just got done with my third viewing of True Detective and it doesn't get any worse with repeated viewings.

Chakat sex pillow
    I still think the ending's a bit too much of a sudden reversal of world-views, though. The closing lines made me arch my eyebrows at how it ended with what was, basically, a classic buddy-movie exchange.

verbose douchebag
    The whole thing was pretty much a buddy cop movie played super slow through distortion.

Chakat sex pillow
    True, but the distortion was what made it compelling. It was twisted as fuck, and the almost self-congratulatory resolution struck me as a bit undeserved considering every single episode prior, and a slightly off-note way to end things.

verbose douchebag
    It was a strange way to end it given how well fermented Cohle's worldview was, but it didn't kill it for me.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oh, I agree. It wasn't a major sticking point, just an odd send-off for an almost tonally perfect series of episodes.

I think the ending made one of its thematic points about viewing the world in terms of its inherent complexity or inherent simplicity incredibly well.

Still Subjective
    Guardians of the Galaxy.

Bonkers. When someone said its a bit like Star Wars they weren't wrong. In that the setting is totally not earth, unlike all the other Marvel stuff we've had.

I really enjoyed it. Looked great, lots of laughs but didn't try too hard, and was just great fun. 4/5, will watch sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I still think the ending's a bit too much of a sudden reversal of world-views, though. The closing lines made me arch my eyebrows at how it ended with what was, basically, a classic buddy-movie exchange.
    I agree wholeheartedly. For me, that ending actually doesn't work at all and contradicts the rest of it, tonally and thematically. Plus the buddy cop approach is just so pedestrian compared to the rest.

GotG tonight. Waiting.

I've been watching The Strain. First and third episode: good fun. Second: meh. On the whole I quite like it.

Administrator
    I got round to watching Game of Thrones and steamed through the four completed seasons. I can't think of a word that adequately describes it. I'm glad I never read anything about it before watching it. I think I got the full force of the impression. I find I prefer coming to things "late" because I am relived of the burden of expectation.

Me too. In fact, I generally make a point of not watching something that's raved about till all the fuss dies down. I also watched all 4 seasons at once. I still can't make up my mind whether I liked it or not. I wanted to know what happened next so I expect I'll be watching 5 once it's finished.

For my sins, I watched all of Ally McBeal at once too. I thought I'd hate it but ended up enjoying the first 4 seasons. And then it just got silly with the inclusion of Edna Everage.

And I've only just noticed there's a new series of Suits so I expect I'll be watching that when my internet is fixed.

Administrator
    That's exactly it. To say you "like" it is a bit like admitting to being a sadistic bastard. However the violence is not glamourised and neither is the sex. I actually felt quite emotionally drained towards the end of the marathon. I would say it is chillingly convincing, and it is interesting to feel for the least depraved characters, who are themselves far from innocent. I guess all the characters are damaged by existing in such a violent culture to various degrees.

One day I was watching a sunset, which is something I'd never seen before. What an amazing sight! Towards the horizon the sun starts to resemble a glowing orb of copper. And then we played Portal 2.

verbose douchebag
    I love Game of Thrones. It's not about being sadistic, it's about being able to experience the full gut punch of human brutality without ever leaving the safety of your living room. The books are better (typically, the book usually is) - I'm re-reading them now and there's just so much texture and detail missing from the show. This isn't a fault of the show of course - most of the additional stuff in the book wouldn't scan as well on TV.

LittleFlower
    Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    In fact, I generally make a point of not watching something that's raved about till all the fuss dies down.
    I don't make a point of that. I'm just too slow and too lazy to keep up with all the hip stuff.

During the last 3 weeks I've watched all 4 seasons of The Walking Dead.
    I'm not sure if the show is any good. But it sure as hell is very entertaining.
    Looking forward to watching season 5 soon.

Calvary. Probably the best movie I've seen in years.

verbose douchebag
    I liked it, but wasn't a fan of the third act. I felt it fell in on itself a bit. Gave it a 7-8/10 though. Would watch again.

I loved the multiple lenses approach - allowing you to consider a mystery through the eyes of multiple "suspects" only then to realise it's how we all individually and collectively look at life that was being explored.

Administrator
    The Lion King musical yesterday with the kids. That's a well put together show. I'm not a fan of cheesy numbers in musicals but the production work makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Calvary. Probably the best movie I've seen in years.
    It's been on my watch list since I heard about it. I really liked The Guard to boot.

Relatedly, I watched Lucy, which is one of the stupidest movies I've seen in years. It's so audaciously, earnestly stupid it's kind of flabbergasting and hilarious. It helps that it's only 90 minutes long, because I don't think I could've stomached much longer of it, but it was a bizarrely entertaining experience.

OMG

I'd recommend Boyhood to everyone here, I thought it was really well done (and acted), and more than just the gimmick it might appear to be.

I also really liked Wish I Was Here, even though it's been getting kind of panned. But it helps to be Zach Braff fan. I thought Kate Hudson was surprisingly good.

I just watched Mazes and Monsters.

eheh eheh eheheheeeeeeehh

One of Tom Hank's highpoints, for sure.

Also the paranoia about D&D making people lose complete touch with reality turned out totally justified, right? I mean we're talking about pencil drawn avatars on pieces of paper. Makes you wonder what they'd think about Skyrim.

Page 89 of 205 FirstFirst ... 394449545964697479848586878889909192939499104109114119124129134139189 ... LastLast