TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I'm not seeing it either.

And I've heard that we have Mark Frost to thank for most of the humor in Twin Peaks, and that when Lynch was left in charge of making Fire Walk With Me, it turned out to be a more dour affair. I haven't see Fire Walk With Me tho, so I might be talking out of my butt on that one.
    Fire Walk With Me is hilarious because it's a terrible mess. But Mulholland Drive is filled with blatant humor, like all the stuff with the film executives and film director.
    Last edited by froghawk; 31st Oct 2014 at 15:36.

At the movies
    Ratatouille - 4 out of 5 stars (Great effort, nice characters, well rounded story and touching plot)

Bourne Ultimatum - 4 and a half out of 5 stars (Best third film from a movie series this year, Action was very thrilling and entertaining, great settings. The handheld camera angles get a little overused and jerky but can't take away from greaty story.)

At home
    The Sentinel - 1 out of 5 stars (Pretty awful, no character development, average story, cliched moments and characters, avoid like the plague)

The Descent - 4 out of 5 stars (Terrific horror/thriller film. Ironically the monsters make the second half dip in tension but nontheless a very clever film. I never want to go cave exploring after this)

Babel - 4 and a half out of 5 stars (Very well crafted but incredibly depressing film. Nice performances however especially from the Japanese cast)

Tsotsi - 4 and a half out of 5 stars (Worthy recipent of the 2006 foreign language oscar. Moving story of a young man in the slums of Johannesburg growing up after accidentaly stealing an infant. Nice performances and story)

Infernal Affairs - 4 out of 5 stars (The original that was behind the making of The Descent by Scorsese, Very clever but Scorsese has remade it all the better)

Deja Vu - 3 and a half stars (1/2 star taken off for incredibly unbelievable realism, good guilty pleasure though)

10/10 if I could have seen it before 1995 but
    6/10 for seeing it after repeatedly ingurgitating the shitloads of survival horror tropes that this film single-handedly invented in movies and games for decades

Sorry, Jacob's Ladder, I failed you.

Quote Originally Posted by kaufenpreis View Post
    The Descent by Scorsese
    *The Departed

I recently watched "Escape From Alcatraz" starring Clint Eastwood and I loved it. It was a great movie. I didn't realize it was based on a true story.

I love Jacob's Ladder, despite the cheese and copycats.

Infernal Affairs - 4 out of 5 stars (The original that was behind the making of The Descent by Scorsese, Very clever but Scorsese has remade it all the better)
    Watch the full trilogy - The Departed draws from all 3. Ultimately, Infernal Affairs gets much deeper.

At the movies
    Ratatouille - 4 out of 5 stars (Great effort, nice characters, well rounded story and touching plot)

Good film overall. The main problem with that film(and the one that prevents it from being great) is that the main human character you're supposed to root for isn't particularly likeable to start with and never does become very sympathetic.

4 and a half out of 5 stars (Best third film from a movie series this year, Action was very thrilling and entertaining, great settings. The handheld camera angles get a little overused and jerky but can't take away from greaty story.)
    "Great story" is where I disagree with you. I read the books years before the movies came out and the movie stories don't hold a candle to the books.

Just wrapped up Season 1 of Twin Peaks and started the first episode of Season 2! Reading your comments, I am definitely enjoying the humour, particularly anything involving Dale Cooper. His nonsencial remarks combined with uppity-happy attitude towards everything are so amusing (including getting shot, oh god that whole scene with room service was brilliant). Albert is a nice counter to that, bringing a bit of realistic touch mocking the ridiculousness.

This makes me wonder about some of the spontaneous absurdity of the characters. For example when Laura's dad goes all happy and enters Horne's office singing, then the horne brother start dancing on the table . It's definitely amusing but I wonder if it's just "for the hell of it" or has some deeper purpose (i.e. exaggerating people's inherent quirks to make them more apparent).

In similar vain, I am finding a lot of characters' behaviors very incongruent, such as when Bobby goes between a hard guy to whiny cry-y bitch or Donna suddenly turns into a smoking mischievous girl start of season 2.

And the story seems to be jumping the shark as well with more deus ex arbitrary mechanisms like the giant.

Overall it does not surprise me coming from Lynch, but I hope it doesn't get too out-there. For some reason I genuinely do not give a crap who killed Laura, but Im also not big into criminal/murder mysteries.

For now, the great acting and often hilarious absurdity are keeping me watching. It's definitely unique; can't think of any other show quite like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Tarantula View Post
    "Great story" is where I disagree with you. I read the books years before the movies came out and the movie stories don't hold a candle to the books.

I tried to read the books this year (despite never having seen the movies). I found the first one manageable, but then second was so atrocious I didn't bother to pick up the third. The writing style is so convoluted, I didn't know what was going on half the time.

Just came back from watching Nightcrawler.

Despite wanting to punch Jake Gyllenhaal in the face every time he is on screen* - which I think is kind of the intention, he really is a massive sleazeball in this movie - it was really good, well worth watching.

*Which may well be every scene of the movie, not sure.

I watched Interstellar last night and came out with mixed feelings. It's a hard movie to judge. The sheer spectacle and style is overwhelming, and it's a great movie, until the last half-hour, when Cooper goes into the black hole. After that, it's just a muddled, confused mess. I have a feeling people are going to be quite divided on this one. Nevertheless, you should watch it, if only to form your own opinion on it.

Only watched 1 review so far. He seemed quite divided on it.

verbose douchebag
    I really enjoyed it. I'd give it a solid 8/10, potentially a 9 if it holds up to repeat viewings.

Same as faetal. Solid piece of Clarkian eschatological sci-fi. Typical Nolan problems with pompous and theatrical monologues, and yeah, it gets messy (and rather corny) near the end, but overall I liked it a lot.

First episode of House of Cards - holy fuck, if the rest is as good as this, I'm in.

First 4 episodes of The Affair - McNulty and Sexy Red Head McCrazy from Luther star in this intriguing tale about an extramarital affair that eventually leads to involvement in something more sinister, the hook is a distinctive perspective shift at the mid-point of every episode to present a he-said/she-said version of events.

Interstellar - yeah, the sci-fi malarky gives way to "deeper meaning" mumbo jumbo in the last 30 minutes but I loved the central performances, the insane visuals and the intimidating sound design. I loved it. Will see it in the cinema again.

A Dame To Kill For - the fact that Eva Green is ridiculously naked throughout yet it is a fucking snoozefest shows you how bad it is. Worst movie I've seen in a long time.

Chakat sex pillow
    Interstellar: great visuals, questionable plot, scientifically trained astronauts continue to do boneheaded things because plot, the movie's answer to what lies on the other side of a black hole is... a girl's bedroom; never mind the fact that Coop's piddly space vehicle would have been stressed and smashed apart from tidal forces before he even dipped his wing into its surface, and if gravity can move past time, that doesn't explain how he's able to apply kinetic force to the books on the shelf to make' em drop, and oh... fuck it. 2001 had the benefit of being written by Arthur C. Clarke and directed by a man who was utterly fastidious about every single detail. Nolan's just paying homage at this point, and not altogether well, unfortunately.

Nolan's character writing has always been two-dimensional at best, so making a movie that bases its beats on character nuance and development was a bad idea. Movie's still hella fucking stylish, though.

Might watch tha.tn then.

I've just started watching the 2nd season of The Fall and don't quite know why I'm both so irritated and fascinated by Gillian Anderson's mouth. I don't remember the mouth being quite so in my face in the X Files. I expect blokes like it. Apart from that, The Fall continues to be pretty good.

Well, I finished Twin Peaks. Overall a good series, if only because there really isn't anything else quite like in the TV series and the characters, writing and acting are superb. However, halfway through season 2 when the main mysteries got resolved it kinda felt the show was grasping the straws trying to come up with new disjointed hooks and stories. The last episode was terrible imho as Lynch pulled his typical "well fuck all cohesion, here's a bunch of random mind-fuck screaming and strobe lights!" that I tend to dislike.

Should I even bother with Fire Walk With me? I kinda wanna see it for completion sake, but I saw your opinions were not exactly positive.

verbose douchebag
    Sulphur The movie's answer to what is on the side of a black hole created by (possibly) humans in the future who have found ways to manipulate dimensions is a purposefully manipulated part of space time allowing humanity to save itself by using gravity to communicate past an event horizon

I found boxed sets of all three seasons of Kung Fu. Classic story but the pace is glacial and the fighting, it seemed so fast and raw when I was a kid but now, thanks to modern movie chop-sockey, it's kind of fluffy.

It definitely takes a shift of sensibilities to appreciate the show.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    Sulphur The movie's answer to what is on the side of a black hole created by (possibly) humans in the future who have found ways to manipulate dimensions is a purposefully manipulated part of space time allowing humanity to save itself by using gravity to communicate past an event horizon
    I get that. It's still barmy. A black hole isn't something anyone's going to throw themselves into even in the most desperate of situations; Coop decided to self-immolate by black hole because of plot machinations. At no point did future humanity attempt to communicate with its past version and say, 'hay guyz, just head on into this singularity of certain death so we can show you how to work gravity across space-time and save yourselves.' You know, even though Coop managed to do it, and he's a human from our time. This is all assuming that 5-dimensional human beings from the future can even create or manipulate black holes in the first place. It's all plot devices and mechanics that don't hold up under scrutiny.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 19th Nov 2014 at 01:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Should I even bother with Fire Walk With me? I kinda wanna see it for completion sake, but I saw your opinions were not exactly positive.
    Based on what you wrote about the final episode, I think you wouldn't like it. My impression is that the people who like Twin Peaks but are lukewarm at best about Lynch don't like the film. Personally I like it a lot, but then I also dig the series' final episode.

Yakoob: Skip it, and you'll have missed absolutely nothing of significance. The superb acting you mention in the series is completely gone. Many of the common actors of the tv series that also make appearances in the movie, provide dry, lifeless performances.

I absolutely hated it despite really enjoying the tv series.

Saw Interstellar - pretty good film, although it didn't blow me away like some of Nolan's other movies. The worst part however was the sound mix, which has been taking a lot of heat for drowning out the dialogue. Nolan says it's intentional, but I say that's either BS or just a really bad creative decision. Does anyone want to go to a movie where you can't hear key plot points because Hans Zimmer's blaring organ music is overpowering everything else? I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish by doing that. But according to him, it's "adventurous."

He also attributes the unusual sound to being perfect for "an experimental film like this." How is this film experimental? I don't see any new milestones being reached here. I think Nolan is starting to buy into his own hype a bit too much.

Never been a huge Nolan fan (Memento is probably my favourite), but all the talk of Interstellar makes me want to see it. No idea what it's about, but I hardly watch any new releases any more.

Page 94 of 205 FirstFirst ... 4449545964697479848990919293949596979899104109114119124129134139144194 ... LastLast