TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: T3G: Mission Rework Progress

Little bump and update: HammerIntro, PaganIntro, SeasideMansion, Dungeon, ClockTower & KeeperCompound work. HauntedHouse works as a mission but doesn't allow saving, most probably due to a property storage count exceedance:
    Quote Originally Posted by T3Main.log, HauntedHouse1.unr
    Total Number of Properties Stored: 52397 [ 79510] (.\PropSysInternals.cpp : 257)
    Used But Freed: 3407 [ 79510] (.\PropSysInternals.cpp : 261)
    I'll see what I can do by re-copying parts of the map bit by bit. Otherwise the maps on the first page are not completely up-to-date since I already fixed a couple of (usually) volume errors... you know, these things tend not to work after moving them around.

Third post in a row... well, anyway: I had a look at the museum map and ran into the problem of the two transition areas being quite away from each other. Height levels don't match and the whole thing looks like this (the gap being app. one large exhibition room long):
    Code:
    OOOOOOOO
    OOOOOOO
    OO   OO
    OO   \ \
    OOOO  OO
    OOOOOO
    OOOOOOO
    Could someone with free time please have a look at the mission and map and give suggestions about how to solve it? Maybe I overlooked something. Meanwhile I'll de-footstep the tutorial mission and let some guys at the German Eidos board test the maps we already have.

I would suggest connecting the lower portals as usual, but adding a long "maintenance" corridor between the upper portals. I couldn't build the level to see if that would look okay, but the upper portals seem to be simple doors in the walls and not major connections between important rooms, so a long series of minor storage rooms wouldn't seem too unusual.

jtr7
    That was my thought. A service tunnel or two, water and electrical, rats...

Only that you wouldn't find such a thing in the middle of the visitor area. Anyway, this seems much easier to solve than the sheer issue of both maps causing T3Ed to crash (VIKTORIA, vertex pools exceeded, despite an altered user.ini!) when trying to build them. Otherwise I would have found out by now if we'd have the same problem like in the Cradle where our property storage count probably ruins the combining attempt.

News despite April 1st! Thanks to a bit of bug tracking by snobel I was able to finally combine the two halves of the Castle mission. The intersection area needs still a bit of work due to many overlapping brushes (seems like there was still a bit of hit-and-miss on the side of the devs), but most things are clear to me now. But I'll leave further fixing and re-creating the patrol paths to another day.

bikerdude
    thanks for the update, got any new screenshots..?

Not yet, but it wouldn't be anything special except for the non-existant loading zones. There will be some when everything's ready I guess (or shortly before), after all snobel reported that he enjoyed walking back and forth between the former intersection just cause he could.

jtr7
    Glad you're back in T3Ed, Beleg!

I hope you can eventually complete your FM. I wanna see The City through your eyes.

Beleg Cúthalion,

I tried to download the .unr files linked to in the first post to give them a test, and I got a 404 error on all of them. Should those links still be working?

Thanks.

Actually a lot of files are missing on that Server right now. I'll check it out, stand by!

Any word on this? All the links are still dead.

Should be working again. I also still have the baked files for playing, but I guess it's better to release them once they're all ready. Heck, I wanted to play The Witcher 2 again.

Rutherford Castle seems to be as old as South Quarter. Problem is, it's also as convoluted as SQ. I've managed to merge the maps with snobel's hint that one fat guard who doesn't come from a fat guard archetype causes the crash. It was a bit of a hassle to put the courtyard with the round tower together but I got it working without re-building it from scratch. The problem is, the second part of the map doesn't have a nav mesh. The surfaces have the right properties (no "do not add to nav mesh") but for the rest it's like there was a gigantic nav mesh subtraction volume around it. But there is no such thing IMHO, everything from the group browser is visible, too. Has anyone else found out yet what can cause surfaces to be excluded from nav mesh calculation?

For what it's worth, you can get the file here.

bikerdude
    Keep up the good work BC!

Thanks! The Museum map doesn't allow nav mesh calculation, it crashes with a VIKTORIA error indicating "numvertices<=MAXVERTICES" followed by a crash by T3Ed altogether. Just like with the combined Castle map, this issue happens both inside my vanilla T3Ed setup and my regular one which should have all vertex pools/settings/other stuff increased for large missions. Brother snobel, where art thou? I thought I already had the property fix thing for my executables but you know how I always get confused with current revisions and stuff.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I art right here... The patched editor doesn't have the raised property storage limit, only T3MainReleaseVersion.exe does. For FMs it makes sense to have that safety margin so that the editor will crash before your FM gets so large that it won't run in the patched game anymore.

Of course, if it's necessary in order to merge the Museum maps, then I'll try adding the fix to the editor as well. The resulting map will need very careful testing, though...

Are you sure it's the property storage thing? IIRC there should be a log entry, something like "raise the limit and recompile". I don't have the editor on my new laptop yet, but if you can explain how to provoke the crash, then I'll have a look at it eventually.
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

In fact I don't think it's the PSC again, but I have never seen these symptoms before. You can get the museum file here and try things out, just like with the castle map. If you "build all" of the museum map, it should give you the error.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Had a look, can't tell you much... As you've probably noticed, it's the "Build Flesh BSP" option that causes it - deselecting the other build options will trigger the error much faster.

MAX_VERTICES is 16, NumVertices is 17. If you pretend that 17 is OK, then later you get "FPoly::SplitWithPlane: Vertex overflow", after another compare with 16. Maybe some geometry is intersected by a plane and the resulting polygon has 17 vertices, which for some reason is not allowed? (Wish I knew more about this stuff.)

Ignore that error again and you get another Viktoria error, "Front and back portal not similarly clipped?".

Unfortunately there's not much human-readable information to be had. When the error happens the build progress dialog shows "clipping portals...(216)", I guess that number is not something you can search for? Otherwise you'll probably have to remove stuff (portals?) you added, until the Flesh BSP build succeeds.

At least it's not the PSC again.
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

The devs had the habit of aligning the two-dimensional zone portals with the edges of BSP meshes which was considered bad somewhere around here IIRC. I can have a look at the new intersection this evening to see if there is some overlap which shouldn't be there. Maybe I even find portal number 216.

Concerning vertex pools I always think of the values in the user.ini file. But this is something different, otherwise increasing the values would have helped.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Yes, this is not the total max number of vertices that's exceeded, it's just one particular problematic polygon. Sounds like you could be on to something, it must be an edge case of some sort.

I've deleted and moved some Zone portals but as yet it has only affected at which stage of "clipping portals" it crashes. After all it seems like it is indeed a portal thing, I should try to build the maps separately to see whether or not the error occurs in either.

Wow, this is a pretty cool project I wasn't aware of. Gotta give you some serious props. I know how much time editing pre-existing missions can take.

You taking a "when it's done" approach, or you aiming for a release date?

Given that there are still some issues unsolved for at least two larger missions, I cannot but take the when-it's-done route. In the worst case we have to publish everything that works, even if the Castle and Museum maps remain unchanged. Well, there are updates, aren't there? I guess it's time to call out a TDS beta test. Snobel, do you think it's time to provide the SU with yet another feature?

Sneaky Upgrader
    A call for testers in the FM forum would be good, no real reason not to test the finished maps while the last issues are (hopefully!) being worked out.

For inclusion in the SU I need to add a feature similar to NewDark's mod_path first, and that will take some time. For the beta test it's probably better to pack it up as a fan mission. FMSel can handle that and probably TFMM/ML as well. Not sure about GL because of the .ibt name clashes.

I have an old Gold archive of yours, containing 7 of the maps. It's 254 MB uncompressed. Brutal 7-zip compression brings it down to 78 MB, CBTs plus brutal 7-zip brings it down to 12 MB... Of course, eventually the addition of intro movies will change that ratio.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast