TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: T3G: Mission Rework Progress

Awesome work. This project is getting better and better.

Well, hopefully. The turning gears have been fixed but I wondered about a more gameplay-related issue. You can see right at the beginning of this clip that some Hammerite guards just stand there in troublesome spots without doing anything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhgzHNjkZBI

This makes the section very hard to ghost. Would you think this requires a tiny fix? After all, we're planning to add better AI awareness options for SU versions yet to come.

Edit: Snobel, you can also see in the vid that in the original game the gears won't move again after a savgame load.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    This makes the section very hard to ghost. Would you think this requires a tiny fix?
    Yes and glad to see your still working on this mister!

Sneaky Upgrader
    Snobel, you can also see in the vid that in the original game the gears won't move again after a savgame load.
    Ah, those gears... I don't think I've ever seen them spinning. Nice improvement there!

I'm not much of a ghoster but I wouldn't object to a minimal change to allow ghosting that spot without 30 reloads.

Not terribly important but, while you're at it, can you fix the clipping errors - the oil flask and the chest?
    Widescreen and tweaks patches: The Sneaky Upgrade for Thief 3, the Visible Upgrade for Deus Ex 2

I think I've already tweaked something there but I'll have a second look. For instance I also turned a chest by 180 degrees which opened towards the corner in which it was standing. If I was to add further tweaks, I would attach scripts that increase the highlight bias of objects within each chest once the lid is open, so that you rather frob the content and not the lid again. But I don't really know if that is necessary. Then again, I got stuck in a chest yesterday because I couldn't frob an oil flask when standing in front of it.

bikerdude
    Evening

Some of the links in OP appear to be broken and while Im at it could youi update with the percent finished of each location if possible...?

ta.

Those links are not remotely up to date, not least because there is constant change to the map files. Plus, for everyone not using T3Ed they would be of no help anyhow. I'll leave a note there, thanks for the heads up.

bikerdude
    Afternoon mister

How goes it..?

The game can be finished but Gamall is missing from the final maps. There is probably something wrong in the museum map, which is why I have to fix some issues – including this – in the next week.

bikerdude
    Sweet, that is good news. I didn't realise you were that far along!

And another small update: I've fixed some minor issues in various maps, including some weird stuff in the Clocktower. I think I also got the thing with the endgame gone wrong, but I'll have to do a full test tonight. As suspected, this was yet another game day modifier issue where the museum went from day eight to ten instead of nine, thus screwing up things in the maps afterwards. A major change I have in mind will be the Cradle transition because the courtyard is just too big right now. Hopefully this won't result in broken volumes in half of the map.

I don't know if this has been requested yet, but the subtitles get really quickly out of sync in the cutscenes. Congratulations on the beta, I'm looking forward for this' completion. I really loved the traditional cutscene demo. I just thought it was too fast-paced. The old ones really moved more slowly. Now it kinda 'bounced' all over the place

Quote Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity View Post
    The only things that should be fixed to better support ghosting are sections where unavoidable guards are standing between you and your objective. Not between you and some extra piece of loot. If it's possible to ghost through a mission with all the objectives completed and the required amount of loot stolen, then that mission doesn't need fixing.
    Thanks for your concern. However, there are only three instances where I modified the patrols, two of them can be found in the Clocktower (c.f. the YT video linked in post #127). The other is a guard not entering a designed patrol in the "Rutherford Castle" mission which I also found described as a bug in one ghosting video. In all three cases the player has to go through the section in question in order to complete the game (in the Castle mission in order to get the third special loot object) but the AIs practically stare at the lit doorways. I think the compromise is bearable; you can always have a go at the two missions and see if you agree.

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinumoxicity View Post
    for example, Moira's inheritance. You can't not steal it, because it constitutes 11% of the total loot, so it's impossible to complete the loot objective without stealing it.
    100% for fixing this. the higher difficulty setting should not take away choices like this from the player.

But as Platinumoxicity said, certain difficulty challenges require drawbacks in other aspects. The only thing I can think of is reducing the widow's heirloom enough so that you can still get 90% loot on EXPERT. But I'm not even sure I want that. Any other opinions?

Zombified
    increasing the value of some other loot bits would accomplish the same. anyway, I would go for it, I still remember how frustrated I was when I found out that no matter how hard you try, the objective is not achievable when playing on hard difficulty (and just by measly 1%, to add insult to injury).

I mean, ghosting is a self imposed objective - this is not.

Why is it not? Strictly speaking, if you think you can rob the whole mansion but spare one purse for sentimental reasons, this is a self-imposed objective, too. It doesn't mean I won't tweak it, but I always liked this morality aspect of the game, there are few enough in the whole series.

Sneaky Upgrader
    I'd have to agree that it's not really a morality aspect anymore when you're forced to steal it in order to complete the mission. On the other hand the 11 % suggests it was a deliberate choice - a way to increase the difficulty on Expert?

How about adjusting the loot values so that to avoid stealing the stash you'd have to get all other loot in the place?

Zombified
    this has nothing to do with difficulty, this is about not letting the player roam around the mansion in a futile attempt to complete an objective that cannot be completed. whatever solution will prevent this is ok with me (like having to find all the other loot - it's actually possible that this was the original intention, and they miscalculated slightly, resulting in that 1% difference).

Reducing the fencing price from 500 to 400 gold would result in the heirloom representing slightly less than 10% of the total loot (then 4100 instead of 4200). If everyone considers finding all the remaining loot as a big enough a penalty for not stealing the stash on EXPERT, I'd go for it. However, I hope we find acceptable item price tweaks for the ingame stores to raise the difficulty.

Reducing the fencing price from 500 to 400 gold would result in the heirloom representing slightly less than 10% of the total loot (then 4100 instead of 4200). If everyone considers finding all the remaining loot as a big enough a penalty for not stealing the stash on EXPERT, I'd go for it. However, I hope we find acceptable item price tweaks for the ingame stores to raise the difficulty.
    This would be the best solution. Give us the choice of not stealing from Moira...

I think I'd rather put this choice into the SU interface. What do you think, snobel? I could write a script which checks if a certain flag is set to TRUE or FALSE and then adjust the total loot and that of the stash. You were able to access flags and global integers, right? Then people could check if they want to avoid the Widow Moira morality issue or not.

Sneaky Upgrader
    We can probably find a way to do that. I'll have a look.

Edit: Seems like this can be done simply by adding a custom global integer.
    Last edited by snobel; 3rd Apr 2014 at 10:13.

OK, I think I'd go for that solution. Other game content tweaks could later be "outsourced" into the Sneaky Upgrade, too, like the Keeper Enforcers or the tutorial guidelines for the Inn mission.

Edit: I've included a fix for the Seaside Mansion mission. In a yet-to-come version of the SU, you will be able to select whether or not the widow loot fix should be activated. If yes, the mission will start with the fix and display this message (language corrections appreciated, my Italian and French is...not):
    TextEntry
    SEA_LootFixOn
    lang_english 2014-04-04 18:56:22 "Loot Fix activated"
    lang_french 2014-04-04 10:13:34 "Correction de butin activé"
    lang_german 2014-04-04 08:28:47 "Beuteverteilung geändert"
    lang_italian 2014-04-04 10:45:26 "Correzione di bottino attivo"

Edit2: Scratch that, snoble convinced me that this testing/debugging device was unnecessary. The loot fix now happens silently.
    Last edited by Beleg Cúthalion; 4th Apr 2014 at 05:02.

This is great news. You guys are awesome.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast