TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vista & Windows 7 issues & the FAQ

Hmm.... This should have at least enabled you to use all EAX features. Ok, just in case, check control panel/sound/double click the x-fi device/advanced tab - whether exclusive mod features are on and the audio enhancement is on. Since you have an x-fi if you don't use the Game Mode while you play any game, the EAX features will be off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Hmm.... This should have at least enabled you to use all EAX features. Ok, just in case, check control panel/sound/double click the x-fi device/advanced tab - whether exclusive mod features are on and the audio enhancement is on (& EAX).
    Ok, checked all those, also checked the Alchemy settings for the game path, & tried using the explicit install path instead of the registry setting, and checked that dsound.dll & dsound.ini were copied into the thief3 main & system folders by Alchemy, it appears they are.

Out of ideas now, but Creative has a Alchemy forum, I'll try there later
    Last edited by rms; 30th Oct 2009 at 12:06. Reason: quote prob

We definitely will need to make updates to the FAQ to account for the release of Windows 7, but I want to wait and get a bit more confirmation from the community here that the processes people are going through to get Thief running in 7 is accurate.

Moderator and Priest
    Surprisingly, it was easier getting T2 to run in 7 than it was in XP. I just installed DDFix, the enhanced resolution patch, and the Indeo 5 codec in that order, and things were running...well...fairly decently. I have the occasional weird issues here and there, but nothing I'd consider showstopping.

So getting Thief 2 running wasn't as much of a problem here either on Windows 7 Professional x64. I use ddfix+widescreenpatch on a Intel Core2 q6600 with a GeForce 8800GTS and an onboard 7.1 soundchip (ALC889A). Videos were running without any further adjustments. There are a couple of things worth mentioning though:
    1. I am not running the program as an Administrator and it's running fine. This could be due to having installed it in a non protected location on a non-system partition. (d:\games) The directory does not "belong" to my account, but the thief 2 directory, as I installed it.
    2. I had to deactivate compatibility mode for ddfix to work. Beforehand, it always gave me that "DirectX version 7 or higher is not installed"-errormessage followed by a crash, although I had the executable edited properly. The weird thing is, that I cannot reproduce this behavior anymore. TMA works fine now with compatibility mode enabled, unless a too old windows version is chosen in the pulldown-menu.
    3. In order to get STEREO-sound to work I had to set the Windows-Speaker-Setup to Stereo, instead of 5.1 Surround. If the latter option was activated, I only got mono-sound from the Center-speaker. Swapping the connectors for the front-speakers with the center- and sub-speakers didn't help either. It resulted in mono-sound from the front-speakers... While this solution kind of works, it's a really sucky one, having to switch the speaker-setup all the time. I hope there will be a fix for this eventually.
    4. Since we are on the sound-topic right now, don't even get me started on EAX. The EAX-fix is not working for me, but I think it's not suitable for my soundchip anyway, as well as ALchemy. Windows 7 supposedly has a built-in EAX-Wrapper, but well, it doesn't work in Thief 2 for me and I couldn't confirm it in any other game so far. I didn't try any other game besides the dark mod though, which doesn't use EAX if I recon correctly... ;-)

So any help on issues number three and four would be appreciated. Thanks!

Do you have the videos without running as administator? For me everything except the videos work when I don't run as administrator and everything works when I do run as administrator.

I also don't have the trouble with mono sound, I leave it set to 5.1 and don't turn hardware acceleration on and have perfectly fine Stereo sound... every fix I've tried to get 5.1 sound has led to unacceptable problems.

yup, videos work fine without admin. The mono-problem is independent of the hardware-acceleration switch on my side. I wonder whether there might be some command-line parameters for thief2.exe, that let me specify which channels to use for the sound...

As an additional info, I can also tell you that I am using a MSDNAA-license of Windows 7 from my university. Dunno if that version of Windows 7 is any different to the ones in the stores. But I guess this information is irrelevant... Just trying to give as many details as possible.
    Last edited by STiFU; 4th Nov 2009 at 09:34.

jtr7
    Much appreciated! I hope we will find solutions for everybody.

Just a quick note, that the Eidos download version of Thief Gold has build into the installation a prevention of installing on Windows Vista (probably 7 as well). The command line switch that allowed this to be overwritten seems to have been removed as well. I was forced to install this on a Windows XP machine first and then was able to copy just the Theif directory to the other computer.

From what I saw, the only registry entries created were for the license key authorization and the un-install information. The license key information key though, is recreated once you authorize the game.

Thanks.

Moderator and Priest
    Potential simple solution to that. Have you tried taking the install executable and running it in Windows 98/ME compat mode? That's what I do when installing the disc based version of the game. I don't use the command line switches at all, and it behaves just fine.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 4th Nov 2009 at 13:13.

I can try that when I get home from work to see if that tricks it.

I'll let you know.

T2 in Win7 RC x64

Installed T2 with the -lgntforce switch. Don't know if the switch is needed but it's become habit. Update with premier patch 1.18 which I've already placed the no cd patch into.

Copy ddfix files into T2 folder and apply manually with HxD since the ddfixGUI will not run. Manually edit the necessary .cfg files as per the ddfix readme, also using the ddfix multicore cpu fix.

Indeo 5.0 codec from this site will not install properly. Used Universal Extractor to extract the following files from the installer, placed those in their own folder within the T2 folder and manually registered the *.ax files. Don't know if the dll files are needed, but it can't hurt to have them there.
    Files extracted:
    iac25_32.ax
    ir32_32.dll
    ir41_32.ax
    Ir41_qcx.dll
    ir50_qc.dll

Game runs perfectly with videos at 1280x1024 on my 8400GS, Realtek HD Audio, and Q6600. In-game volume controls haven't worked properly since Windows 98, so everything is at full volume. Not a problem with any OMs or most FMs.

No "run as admin" permissions needed, and I have UAC disabled. Also no compatibility modes needed.

Haven't tried the other Dark Engine games in Win7, but I assume they would be the same.

Aah, having UAC disabled is probably what does it... I believe that makes it run as administrator by default on an administrator-level account. Which is stupid but there you go

Confirmed that in order for that version of the installation to work, it has to be placed in XP compat mode.

Thanks for the advice.

Future generations will admire our dedication... For sure!

EDIT: Still, it says something about the nature of fans. We'll go to lengths to get the whole 9 yards.
    But maybe I'm still just irked I'm the only one who hasn't fully achieved 100% thief goodness
    on my ****ing laptop!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSyn View Post
    Copy ddfix files into T2 folder and apply manually with HxD since the ddfixGUI will not run. Manually edit the necessary .cfg files as per the ddfix readme, also using the ddfix multicore cpu fix.
    A fix for 64bit OS has been released. Get it here.

Aah, having UAC disabled is probably what does it... I believe that makes it run as administrator by default on an administrator-level account.
    It's running fine with and without UAC here. I don't think it has anything to do with that. Besides, if windows started all programs as admin when UAC is disabled, shouldn't the checkbox for "run as admin" in the compatibility-flag be greyed out and activated?

CaptSyn, have you tried to play those videos before installing the codecs? Because the videos were playing nicely without doing anything on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by STiFU View Post
    CaptSyn, have you tried to play those videos before installing the codecs? Because the videos were playing nicely without doing anything on my side.
    Before installing Indeo as I did above, T2 would crash upon trying to load the intro video. Once I extracted the codec files listed and manually registered the *.ax files, the videos played fine and the game no longer crashed.

*Forgot to add that I don't remember if I had to manually register lgvid.ax or not.
    Last edited by CaptSyn; 6th Nov 2009 at 00:32.

Thanks everyone for posting in here. This thread is quite usuful, and rest assured I've added some new data to our thief FAQ. Biohazard, I've got a document to send you!

Of course, I think our FAQ will need to keep being updated over time, but I think it is time I sent this puppy. Hope bio will accept this!

I used to be able to view the videos, but now, nothing. I have no idea what or when they got screwed up. I've tried reinstalling the indeo codec and have installed FDShow-Tryouts. Still nothing. My OS is Vista 64.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    FFDShow, or FFDShow-Tryouts?

The former is ancient and should not be used, as it's been known to cause crashes in old games. The latter has no problems with Thief. If you have the former, try completely uninstalling it, then installing FFDShow Tryouts. Once you have that, you should no longer need the K-Lite Codec pack, either, and could uninstall it if you want.

Either way, try running this command to register the default Indeo codec (you may need to run it from a command prompt started as Administrator):

Code:
    regsvr32 "%windir%\sysWOW64\ir50_32.dll"
    On Vista, to register a filter from the command prompt you typically have to be running the command prompt with administrator privileges. So, if you have Command Prompt on your Start menu, just right-click and choose Run as administrator. If not, open Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and find cmd.exe - then right-click and choose Run as administrator.
    That got me able to register ir50_32.dll; unfortunately it did not solve my problem of not being able to play the movies anymore. I now get audio but no video. Any suggestions for getting video back? I can play them in VirtualDub, so I could convert them to something. But as is neither Thief2 nor Windows Media Player can play them.

How does one check codecs installed in vista/7? I've done it in XP through the control panel, but vista/7 is different from that.

Seems like either the indeo codec (that specific version) isn't doing it's job, or the indeo codec never did do it's job and you've been using a different codec to play the movies. Have you uninstalled any codecs lately? Did you try to retrace your steps to see how it happened? Did this just happen out of the blue without you doing anything?

I finally got a copy of the game disc for this since I seem to have misplaced my original when I got my new computer back 1 1/2 years ago. My problem is that my game does not install. I have windows 7. I get the initial screen with the install, install dx7, etc. I press the install button and it brings up the little box saying that the wizard will be taking me through the steps. It hits 100%, then the main screen and the wizard box disappear and I never get to the wizard screen to actually install this. I can't seem to follow the thread here where it seems some of you bypass the installation screen and do other things to get this to install. Can someone walk me through this? Thanks.

Phil

Have you tried Tafferpatcher ?

You can also follow the information presented in the FAQ if you don't want to use tafferpatcher.

Well dammit sNeaksie, if I could easily find the thread I'd link to it. Adding my request for it be stickied.

Sorry nickie didn't mean to piss you off, just wanted to add another option is all.

Hope you get it sorted Philflound. Do let us know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast