TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOW TO CREATE ANIMATED TEXTURES?

I'll try the game soon.I'm almost finished with SS1.
    But I really need help with DromEd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip View Post
    Cardia - just grab the Fam.crf out of your T2 res folder. Change the .crf in the file name to .zip and unzip it.

Inside you'll see the water fam folder.

. . .but really all you need to do is make your textures and name them:

Example_
    Example_1
    Example_2
    Example_3

Put those in a fam folder and load the fam as you normally would. You'll only see one texture called "Sample_" once you load the fam.

You can change the speed of the texture under renderer->texture anim data.

Thanks Mike, i really had to change the settings ot the texture anim, ive also had to manipulate the texture i want in Photoshop, something like blending, like a time-lapse video.

i made this animated texture where the changes are done with the blendings and with 10 images, the more images you have the better looks this transformation.

example:

Image A

image B

what ive done was the next:

1-open both images with Photoshop
    2-select image A -select-all-ctrl +c
    3-select image B, and place the image A by pressing ctrl+v
    4-now on the layers images press twice with the left mouse button and change its opacity to 90 %, save image for example: "blue", now change again its opacity to 80% save again but this time in "Blue_1", then again opacity to 70% ,save as "Blue_2", and so one until you reach the opacity to 10% and save it as "blue_9". i guess this is the max images you can have for an animated texture.

both images are now fused and in dromed mode watching this texture it looks
    as if the blue rays are...how should i say in english... changing its light itensity like an heart beat.
    Anyway and there are many other things you can do with animated textures, now im trying to make some effects with lights, and again this will require some photoshop basic knowledge.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BG_HHaunt View Post
    I bought System Shock 2 from ebay,but was surprsed that nothing was shiped to me.The seller just gave me a link to download it.What to expect for only 8$.
    Here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M3IIBQ57.
    In other words, you were almost certainly scammed. What's stopping the seller from selling that link to 100 people? Report, report, report.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    In other words, you were almost certainly scammed. What's stopping the seller from selling that link to 100 people?
    Y'know, I'm pretty sure the scam is that all he got was a link, and not that he didn't get his own, personal link.

Hey System Schock 2 is cool!!!

Im enjoying System Schock 2, it looks as if this game was made on dromed, i recognize some of the objects, textures wich i have already seen in some thief fms, how lucky i was with this free link, got new stuff to use

Anyone knows a site where i can get animated textures?

Thanks in advance
    Pedro Quintela

I don't know about such site,but I started the game two days ago and I recognized the voice of Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by BG_HHaunt View Post
    I don't know about such site,but I started the game two days ago and I recognized the voice of Garrett
    besides the Garretts voice i recognice the servant male voice (Xerdes) and the voice at the trainning areas is the same voice as the keeper that trains Garrett on thief 1.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Shodan was voiced by Terri Brosius, who also voiced Viktoria in T1/T2 and probably some of the other female Thief characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Shodan was voiced by Terri Brosius, who also voiced Viktoria in T1/T2 and probably some of the other female Thief characters.
    Was this game done with Dromed 2 or 1? the creatures have the same design and behaviour has the ones on Thief, also the gameplay has also many similiar features.

The version of DromEd is somewhere between the two. It has some features that even Thief 2 doesn't (multilevel), but is missing others (conveyors, for example).

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I tried following the exact instructions without being able to create animated textures. I must be missing something but so far cannot figure what.

I need to have a texture family imitating water (in game it has to go on a solid brush).

I've created a custom family (fam/animwatertxt) and placed animwater.gif, animwater_.gif, animwater_1.gif, animwater_2.gif*, etc.

The result I have in game is a static texture, and also, animwater_10.gif and higher appear as individual textures and I can select them individually on my brush.

Can anyone help me understand what's missing here?

Thanks in advance :-)
    Last edited by Sperry; 4th Apr 2020 at 07:25. Reason: * I replaced a typing error, from animwater2.gif to animwater_2.gif

I think animwater_.gif breaks the pattern. Have a look in the fam.crf\waterhw or \mech to see how the original frames are named.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I think animwater_.gif breaks the pattern. Have a look in the fam.crf\waterhw or \mech to see how the original frames are named.
    Pattern? Could you be more specific? I've tried renaming the texture name to a shorter one (anwa1m.gif) like the default DWAL2.PCX, DWALS.PCX, DALB4M.PCX... But to no effect unfortunately; I am apparently missing something. Do I need to convert my textures into PCX format? Can't I create animated textures from gifs?

The length of the filenames is important according to this: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100283

8 char limit for the filename, not including the extension.

Broken Triad has animated terrain textures, so that's a good example.
    core_1:
    animw1.gif (shows up in the texture palette)
    animw1_1.gif
    animw1_2.gif
    etc

I'm not sure if there's a limit on the length of the family name, but you could try reducing that to 8 characters too.

There are water textures in there too (in waterhw) which are in .pcx format (but I notice your water texture isn't in waterhw).

Thanks for the quick reply; I've changed the file names to animw1.gif (following the example of broken triad), animw1_1.gif, animw1_2.gif, etc. being careful to have the proper extension (I apologise for the typo in one of my previous posts). The texture is still static... I can't understand what I'm doing wrong!

Does the fact that I created a new texture family have an impact?

Also, I sometimes get the following error when I exit game mode:

Assertion Failed
    Trying to SetData on a Locked Resource! (File: resbastm.h, Line 729)
    (Yes to trap, No to exit, Cancel to ignore)

It shouldn't do, I've just checked what I did in Rose Cottage and I've got a fam\bodge and in that I have full.gif, lplast.gif and lplast_1.gif to lplast_10.gif (in the tomb bit there's a bit with water down the sides of a path, this texture does the light reflecting off the water onto the walls), that texture is the only thing in that family

ZylonBane
    ZIP up your animated texture and post it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    ZIP up your animated texture and post it.
    Actually, I've realised that my files are in a state of chaos now. I have tons of useless files, and am lacking the proper software to do things simply. Since all I need is a texture of animated water on a solid brush, could I ask for someone to kindly prepare a FAM folder with the properly organised and named files in it? I only have 3 specifications:

- Since I'm using Thief 1 OldDark, I believe I can only use up to 20 images (at least according to AM16's Ultimate Guide to Water).

- Also, the colour palette does not necessarily have to be compatible with T1, I can handle that once the animation works properly.

- Finally, because of the fact that water plays a big role in my FM, I'd prefer one of those new fancy water mods to get as nice a water animation as possible (such as Gecko's HQ Water Mod, or whatever is in style these days)... As long as it works in 20 frames or less.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
    Last edited by Sperry; 18th Apr 2020 at 18:22.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12