TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Patch to fix Thief 3 from freezing in widescreen mode

Patch to fix Thief 3 from freezing in widescreen mode

If you're having problems with Thief 3 locking up when you complete a mission, try to load a saved game and possibly a few other places when in widescreen, this patcher I made should fix it.

The patcher will also let you specify your own resolutions to have show in the in-game menu, as originally I was thinking the crash was happening because the resolution was showing as 283569644x1920 when you do Resolution=-1, but after locating where the resolutions are stored and changing them, the crash still occured. I decided to add this functionality anyway in case you want to run at a widescreen resolution, but not at the same res as your desktop.

The patcher is located at http://drop.io/t3_widescreen , and has been tested only on 1.1. (It may work on 1.0, too, but if it doesn't it will probably yell at you when it doesn't recognize the part of the problem it modifies) Be sure to back up T3main.exe before you run it. Although to the best of my knowledge it should work fine, if it doesn't it'll be easier to just restore your backup than to reinstall it completely.

bikerdude
    hmm well done that man, I think this should be mirrored on ttlg and added to the FAQ

jtr7
    We just need to get a handful of people to confirm it works for different systems and tweaked versions of the game, and to see if anyone doesn't benefit and why, but this is a great start! It is noted!

Works great here! The training mission always crashed at the end before, now it plays all the way through at 1080p, and I didn't even have to mess with the config files...

I believe it should work with either 1.1 or 1.0, T3Main.exe does not get modified in the patch if i recall correctly.

Could everyone who uses this reply and let me know if it works or not for them? I have one person in another thread saying it's not working for them, as no matter what resolution they set, they get "no signal" from their monitor, and Resolution=-1 with the patch causes a crash for them.

That doesn't sound directly related to your patch so much as the user likely chose a display mode their monitor or video card doesn't support.

Clearinghouse

Cool, I can add this to the FAQ.

Stunning
    Seems to have fixed the crash on trying to load a game in 1920x1200 on quick inspection. Will try a full map later on but I'm excited already

This thread has just helped out another poor, frustrated taffer. Hadley, dude, you utterly rock.

BANNED

i Canīt get it working it say : "could not t3main.exe make sure that you place this programe into thief- deadly shadows\system" but it is in that folder i donīt know what to do

Just wanted to say thank you this fix worked once I entered the C crash fix command.

I'm running TS 1.1 with the texture pack and the widescreen gaming forum FOV fix to get the game to run on my HDTV at 1920x1080. I also ran this widescreen fix and set it to resolution 1, and then selected resolution 1 (1920x1080) to play the game.

I have Windows 7 x 64
    Q6600
    4GB DDR 1066 Ram
    Evga 780SLI mobo
    8800GTS 512mb graphics.
    Last edited by baronzemo78; 28th Aug 2010 at 01:09.

Quote Originally Posted by baronzemo78 View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you this fix worked once I entered the C crash fix command.

I'm running TS 1.1 with the texture pack and the widescreen gaming forum FOV fix to get the game to run on my HDTV at 1920x1080. I also ran this widescreen fix and set it to resolution 1, and then selected resolution 1 (1920x1080) to play the game.

I have Windows 7 x 64
    Q6600
    4GB DDR 1066 Ram
    Evga 780SLI mobo
    8800GTS 512mb graphics.
    I'm trying to run this game again, using the texture pack, this widescreen fix, and the FOV fix.
    Still crashes if 1) try to shut down game, 2) Try to load old save game, 3) Try to overwrite old savegame.

You mention a "C crash fix". What is this, cause I'd really like to try whatever I can.

Just wanted to say thanks a million for this.. I am running T3 on windows 7 now via steam and the widescreen patch without any crashes thanks to you!

Just in case the other mirror dies I created another.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/438140628/t3_widescreen.zip

Many thanks!

@ LancerChronics

He means choose option "C" when you run this patcher.
    Make sure you move the patcher to your Thief DS > System folder then run it then press "C" then ENTER and it will fix the crashing problems.

It says "Error reading T3main.exe! Is this the right file?" when im trying to apply this patch. What could be wrong?

answer: this program doesnt works with polish version of deadly shadows.

Some feedback :

- European TDS (set to english language)
    - John P's textures
    - Widescreen 1680x1050

I tried to change the resolution with T3FOV patch ; it worked in some way keeping it @ 1920*1080.
    I wished to set it back to 4:3, but it always kept it at 1920*1080. (My desktop display screen emulates 1920*1080).

Then I tried this patch and changed the resolution at 1680*1050.
    I changed the resolution in the game options too. Finally, it's doing its job.
    I can quit the game, there's no crash.

Didn't try with older saves, though.

Is there a version that will work on the FM enabled T3Main.exe file? I can find the place in the FM enabled one with a hex editor, and can even change them so that I have widescreen (and it looks nice.) But it crashes when I exit the game. If I use the patch, I cannot see the objectives in fan missions, but (as long as I installed the Crash Fix,) it looks nice and exits without crashing. Are there details about the crash fix somewhere? I tried setting up a fc /b on a crashfixed exe and a normal exe, then looked for that string in the FM enabled exe, but it doesn't exist.

You need to find the following HEX string:

14 E9 62 FE FF FF

and change it to:

14 C3 90 90 90 90

Then change the Resolution parameter in options.ini to -1.

It worked for 1920x1080 with editor version of T3MAIN. I didn't check FMs with it though.

Ok, that put me in widescreen but I still crash when exiting or finsihing a mission. I've also noticed that for some reason the game puts me into widescreen when I chose either 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 resolution. Don't know why. But it crashes with those as well. This was with a fresh install, absolutely nothing added yet. Both before and after the 1.1 patch. I set affinity with imagecfg (though I didn't think T3 needed it.) I'm about at the point where I'm going to just give up on haveing T3 in full screen mode. The t3_widescreen.exe patch works great (no crashes, everything is fine,) but won't run on the FM enabled T3Main.exe. I'm wodering if the crash patch was available seperately, or if the creator of the crash patch could find out how to apply it to the FM enable exe.

Sneaky Upgrader
    This combined patch includes two fixes for the 16:9 crash issue: Hadley's fix, and it changes the parameter AssumedUIScreenWidth to fit the aspect ratio. I'm still looking for testers if there is any interest.
    Last edited by snobel; 14th Apr 2012 at 04:32.