TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Sir Terry Pratchett's Wiki page mentions Thief

Sir Terry Pratchett's Wiki page mentions Thief

I know it mentions in old 2003/4 threads that Sir Terry is a Thief fan, I couldn't find mention of his Wiki entry on these forums though?

In the section 'Computers and the Internet'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett

"Pratchett is also an avid computer game player, and he has collaborated in the creation of a number of game adaptations of his books. He favours games that are 'intelligent and have some depth', and has used Half-Life 2 and fan missions from Thief as examples."

It quotes an article in "Computer and Video Games"
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=143656

"What have been your favourite games of the past few years?
    Far Cry, Call Of Duty, Half-Life 2 and a great many fan missions for Thief! A good fan mission is a joy, because the author reads your mind."

"What do you make of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? What have been your favourite moments?
    I'm a thief and an assassin, and treat the game as a continuation of the Thief universe.I'm in it for the sneaking, but I like the free form nature of the game, the fact that you can ignore the quests and set off into this big, complex world. You really can explore. All the best moments have been in the shadows. Pick pockets, open locks, creep away."

jtr7
    A timely renewal of interest for all the members who hadn't heard it before.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by malau View Post
    "Pratchett is also an avid computer game player, and he has collaborated in the creation of a number of game adaptations of his books. He favours games that are 'intelligent and have some depth', and has used Half-Life 2 and fan missions from Thief as examples."
    I wonder of what fan missions they means.

And I wonder what his nickname here is...

Probably been said many times before, but what's so awesome about that is that he's specifically praising Thief FMs, FM makers, and the fans that play them. That's us! We're the ones that share his outlook, read his mind, and bring intellegence and depth to gaming ... out of everything he could have mentioned. It's not like he's just generically praising Thief as a great game. It's Thief through the lens of our FMs that makes it so magical for him. That's really humbling and cool and can't help but make you feel that you have a little special place in the world to get such an accolade from him.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Probably been said many times before, but what's so awesome about that is that he's specifically praising Thief FMs, FM makers, and the fans that play them. That's us! We're the ones that share his outlook, read his mind, and bring intellegence and depth to gaming ... out of everything he could have mentioned. It's not like he's just generically praising Thief as a great game. It's Thief through the lens of our FMs that makes it so magical for him. That's really humbling and cool and can't help but make you feel that you have a little special place in the world to get such an accolade from him.
    Well said Its the community that keeps the Thief cult alive for a decade. We bring the LGS legacy with us.

@ malau: Thanks for the post I wasn't aware of it.

I don't know if he was a member here or not. He used to post regularly on the Thief newsgroup (alt.games.thief-dark-project which appears to be pretty much dead nowadays) and I helped him finish up quite a few FMs though I'm afraid I can't remember which ones.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 22nd Oct 2009 at 11:18.

BANNED
    Damn, too bad...

jtr7
    It's real crappy for me that it looks like I'll never get to read Pratchett, let alone the more Thief-inspired books of his, as long as my book-absorbing lobe is withered:

Guards! Guards!
    Men at Arms
    Feet of Clay

The cover of Thud!, with the big stick club, instantly brought Garrett and his blackjack to mind, too.

Quote Originally Posted by malau View Post
    "What do you make of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion? What have been your favourite moments?
    I'm a thief and an assassin, and treat the game as a continuation of the Thief universe.I'm in it for the sneaking, but I like the free form nature of the game, the fact that you can ignore the quests and set off into this big, complex world. You really can explore. All the best moments have been in the shadows. Pick pockets, open locks, creep away."
    I take some geeky pride in having introduced and lured Terry Pratchett into the world of Oblivion, in the same Usenet Newsgroup where Nightwalker took actively part in Thiefy discussions, and in her amazing style helped people out, including Terry.

Terry's reply was: "Aaargh! What have you done to me?
    Bought the game on your recommendation, and now I see my life slipping
    away. You're right -- it's a natural world for taffers. "

And yeah, he was/is a huge Thief & FM fan. He said often that he felt that the City in Thief, and Thief's world in general I suppose, was like a cousin to Ankh Morpork, and I agree with that. They do feel alike in many ways.

Albert
    Kinda funny that the discworld game had eric idle.

Cool stuff. I think writers are at the top of the list when it comes to famous people I actually respect. Maybe because they usually turn out to be normal, decent people. I'm sure Terry is no exception. Very sweet to hear that he was an avid fan of Thief FMs. I've only read a few of the Discworld books, but I can definitely see why Thief might scratch that gaming itch for him.