TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for Daniel Thron

Questions for Daniel Thron

I recently got in touch with Daniel Thron (guess you all know him, he did the cutscene art and box art for both Thief 1 and 2) and I got him to answer a few questions for TTLG.com regarding Thief.

So for the next couple of days please post here whatever questions you would want to ask Mr. Thron and I'll pick the most interesting ones to ask him!
    Last edited by Dominus; 21st Nov 2009 at 17:21.

I would love to know if he has seen The Dark Mod, and if he has...what are his thoughts on it?

When it comes to clothing, is there a specific source he based it one? A real-world era, or just art direction?

It looks vaguely Tudor to me, more than Victorian, but my fiance's the costume designer, not me, and I've been trying to puzzle that out.

And, I suppose, the same question, but for the architecture.

I'm interested in the reasoning behind the cinematic change for Thief 3. Where Thief 1 and 2 had dark, shadow heavy videos, Deadly Shadows was much brighter and more art-focused (as opposed to mostly silhouettes in the first two, with faces rarely shown). Not to mention the ever-changing face of Garrett in every cutscene.

Its Thron, not Thorn.

@ Goldmoon Dawn, ups, I knew that but still wrote it wrong.. damn fingers
    I'll ask some moderator to edit the title

You don't need to, you can edit the title yourself.

I wish I had a question to go with this post.

Did you have an inspiration for the look of Garrett; if so what was it?
    (Or: is that a real person's face on the box art of Garrett?)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Let's not forget that the multi-talented Thron also voiced at least one of the sword guards, including the one during the archer fight in LOTP who defends Lady Van Vernon.

You'd best run and rescue your helpless, limp Lord, before he founders in his own vomit, or wakes up naked in a hen coop!
    YOU'VE GONE... YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR THIS TIME, YOU CAMEL-MANNERED TUNIC-WETTING MOLLYCODDLE! AN ARROW IN THE THROAT OUGHT TO SHUT YOU UP!

The Architect
    Mostly I am wondering if he has any uncropped un-edited high-res versions of his paintings (you know, without any text on them or screenshots overlaid) that he can share (things like the art used on the card-paper CD cases), or even some unreleased paintings or concept art hidden away in some stash.

Will he be working on Thief 4?

Would he be interested in doing an animated Thief: the Dark Project movie?

jtr7
    Cool, Dominus!

I hope we don't weird him out too much.

I'm gonna miss his voice-acting, cutscenes, humor, etc., if he won't/can't participate in Thief 4's development.

But yeah, I'm with Digi...raw goodies of the unprocessed paintings and artwork would be great. So would his thoughts on his time at LGS, but since he's rarely spoken about it, I wonder if he's not into discussing it or something.

And when is the promised part 4 of TRONReboot coming out?

I'd really like him to describe the process of creating the cutscenes; the software, techniques, equipment and so on. Unless this is already known and I missed it, or he has no knowledge of the animation process, of course.

jtr7
    Breaking processes down and describing influences tapped would be wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Let's not forget that the multi-talented Thron also voiced at least one of the sword guards, including the one during the archer fight in LOTP who defends Lady Van Vernon.

And the Eye...

jtr7
    Apebeasts, The Eye, two guards, Cutty, Ramirez, one of the two main Keepers that kept in contact with Garrett (including the one who was there at his rescue).

Does he love me as much as I love him?

I just want you to say him that he's done a FANTASTIC work.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
    Does he love me as much as I love him?
    XD
    And then he stopped answering questions because we weirded him out too much.

What does he think of Deadly Shadows. Since he was not involved, was it like seeing your project switched and molded to new people? Or did he accept the change.

jtr7
    He was involved in TDS.

He and his company, Rustmonkey, did the cutscenes (apparently not the briefings), and he still did the voice of the guard that banters with Benny.

ah, well in that case. Why did they choose to do the briefings the way they did. The slideshow briefings were not amazingly high-tech, but they were way better than Garret just talking while you read text.

I believe the original briefings were illustrated by Mark Lizotte. Not that Thron couldn't have done a fine job.

jtr7
    The devs thought it would be cool to do in-engine briefings--just like so many other games--but with the sepia tone--which turned out urine yellow. All that time animating those when they could've done something else. Our favorite assumption is that since Dan Thron was co-running Rustmonkey, and had commercial clients, he couldn't put forth the full effort he had when he was fully employed by LGS. The cutscenes and voice-acting show a lot of work, but there were no Karen Wolff or Jennifer Hrobota-Lesser or others working on the briefings as before--making sets of still images and doing 2D animation for the movies, under Dan's direction where needed. I can't believe Dan Thron had anything to do with the TDS in-engine monochrome movies, and I hope I don't find out otherwise without the excuse he had other obligations.

Rustmonkey did this Hummer H2 commercial, and for the movie "Through a Scanner Darkly", they had made a short reel as a proposal to try to be the ones to do the animation for it, but didn't get it. Rustmonkey was formed a while after LGS was shut down, but shut down itself in 2005.

Dan Thron's got a thing for monkeys. I wonder if he's responsible for the monkeybeasts that became the Apebeasts.

Daniel Thron is easily fascinated by large, brightly colored objects. He also likes jokes about monkeys and slacks.

Cutscene Art & Animation, Product Art [and Box Art]

Dominus: I know it's a quiet annoying thing, but please, if you can, ask him about the source of T1&T2...

haha I was just about to suggest that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast