TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Darkloader optimization breaking Thief Gold on windows 7

Darkloader optimization breaking Thief Gold on windows 7

Weird: Thief Gold will run fine patched with DDfix and the widescreen/resolution fix as an admin on my copy of Windows 7. However, once optimized with Darkloader, it dies. Quits back to the desktop with only windows' "oops, something broke!" error message. I've been trying to run it as admin in hopes that it may help in my quest to get the texture/model upgrades and enhancement pack working. What does the Darkloader "optimization" process entail, other than moving the .crfs to the folder of the same name? That (the .crf folder) seems to be the direct cause of the crash; if moved back to the main folder, the game runs fine as admin. Any ideas?

also, side note: does DDfix always mess up the menus/scrolls on a widescreen monitor (put them in 4:3)? they're fine with just the widescreen fix, but DDfix seems to revert them (but not the resolution in-game) to 4:3.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I have both and my menus are also 4:3, not sure why.

I believe all DL does when it optimizes if move the files as you said, and also adjust install.cfg to point to the new folder for them instead of the root. You might try moving them back and adjusting the cfg file and see if it works that way. It's possible DL is unable to modify install.cfg because it can't get permission from the OS to do so, perhaps due to where you have the game installed or the file could be read-only. All my Thief-related stuff is under C:\Thief and not C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) because Windows really controls access to those folders by programs in Vista and Win7.

I am also having this problem but on XP instead of win7. optimizing the install jacks up everything and thief crashes. tested to see if anything else would be causing this and it's ONLY because the crfs are being moved to the res directory.

edit: should note that my install directory is c:\games\thiefg

Both of you, post the contents of your install.cfg file. You can open it in Notepad or any text editor.

If your game crashes to desktop immediately upon entering the menu, this should fix it.
    Open the cam.cfg file and make sure the line "always_play_intro" is at the bottom. Now write-protect the file, because when you launch the game again and it plays the movie, it will remove this. I don't know why/how it solved the problem, but it did for me.

contents
    Code:
    install_path C:\games\ThiefG
    language english
    C:\Games\ThiefG\RES+resname_base C:\games\ThiefG
    load_path C:\games\ThiefG
    script_module_path C:\games\ThiefG
    movie_path C:\games\ThiefG\movies
    i had stripped the cd drive references so it wouldnt check for it, but i wouldn't think that would matter since i've done that before...

Quote Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
    Code:
    C:\Games\ThiefG\RES+resname_base C:\games\ThiefG
    That's totally messed up. I assume Darkloader is mangling it somehow. Try making it this instead (with the files moved to \res):
    Code:
    resname_base C:\Games\ThiefG\RES+C:\games\ThiefG
    That will look for resources in \res first, and then in the root only if it doesn't find it in \res.

hey thanks that fixed it.
    wonder why darkloader jacked it up that way.

Wow, that is weird. I was thinking you did it on purpose Jadon.

I've just had exactly the same trouble with Thief Gold that Jadon had - optimizing in Darkloader borked my install.cfg file the same way. It gave the incorrect line:

B:\Games\ThiefGold\RES+resname_base B:\games\ThiefGold

instead of

resname_base B:\games\ThiefGold\RES+B:\Games\ThiefGold

Because I was installing the Windows 7 64 bit ddfix and the Widescreen mod it was some time before I stopped blaming them and looked at what old faithful Darkloader had done!

Because it's happened more than once a mention in the FAQ might be a good idea.