TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest Ubisoft DRM measure - all SP saves stored on a cloud server

Taking the Death Toll
    I hope it requires Steam and breaks all Thiefgen's diseased little hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    We have health shields, not hearts.

And I honestly don't understand all the hatred surrounding Steam.

Me too. Might force them to scratch and claw their way out of the 90's. Finally.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Smith View Post

What bothers me is that publishers think this sort of shit is okay to do to PC gamers, but 360 users would scream bloody murder if you tried to take their savegames away from them.
    I'm pretty sure most 360 users wouldn't mind not having to worry about losing all their save games again the next time their box red-rings. And cloud saving for 360 would make development a whole fuck of a lot easier.

Taking the Death Toll
    I dunno, not every 360 user has internet access. (Okay, a very small percentage, but still.) Or, they may not have access for the 360. Example: a friend of mine can't usually hook up his 360 because the router is on the other side of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Smith View Post

And I honestly don't understand all the hatred surrounding Steam.
    For starters, the developer can decide to raise the system requirements at a later date for your existing games that you already paid for. See, half-life used to run under win98, but steam eventually dumped win98 support, meaning that victims had to buy an OS upgrade just to keep enjoying their game that they met the requirements for when they purchased it.

http://steamreview.org/posts/win98supportends/

Also, developers who sell games on Steam can attack the used market (and many of them do!).

http://www.digitalruin.net/node/55

Also, "The Steam servers are too busy to process your request. Please try again later."

Let's say you get caught cheating in a Steam game on-line, or doing something else that violates the TOS. They can take away *ALL* of the Steam games you've paid for in an instant. Note that I do not condone cheating on-line and I myself do not do such things. I just think it is seriously ****ed up that if someone does, they can lose access to that particular game, as well as several others that they likely paid a fair price for.
    Last edited by lost_soul; 28th Jan 2010 at 06:03.

Dude, Windows 98? Really? I am sure anyone who is still trying to slug away at Half Life on that OS will have the WON discs (I know I do) that pre-date STEAM. You can still use those to install the game and play it on 98.

Yep, but I think that win98 support in Steam ended back in 2007. MS dropped win98 back in 2006, because (surprisingly) a sizable chunk of people were still using it. It was originally going to be dumped in 2004.

The original disks will even work in Windows 95! I used to play them there a decade ago.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

What's next, you'll be whining about how there's no W7 drivers for 3Dfx graphics cards and ISA Soundblasters?

is Best Pony
    Where's my fucking Gravis Ultrasound support in Win7, M$ you fuckers?

If you try to play Half-Life on Steam using Win98 there should just be a box that pops up saying:

Code:
    Where the fuck are you? A public library?
    (Okay) (Cancel)

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    What's next, you'll be whining about how there's no W7 drivers for 3Dfx graphics cards and ISA Soundblasters?
    I wouldn't be surprised if 3dfx drivers show up for Windows 7 eventually. Wasn't it the community that got them working in Windows XP?

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by lost_soul View Post
    For starters, the developer can decide to raise the system requirements at a later date for your existing games that you already paid for. See, half-life used to run under win98, but steam eventually dumped win98 support, meaning that victims had to buy an OS upgrade just to keep enjoying their game that they met the requirements for when they purchased it.
    hahahahahaha oh god wow this is almost as good as your "DRM = i don't join the military" nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    Fix'd j/k

I just wanted to re-write it to more closely resemble what I think.
    Compared to messing with your OS install or killing your hardware, I'd say its a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lost_soul View Post
    Let's say you get caught cheating in a Steam game on-line, or doing something else that violates the TOS. They can take away *ALL* of the Steam games you've paid for in an instant. Note that I do not condone cheating on-line and I myself do not do such things. I just think it is seriously ****ed up that if someone does, they can lose access to that particular game, as well as several others that they likely paid a fair price for.
    Actually, you only get caught by Valve if you're cheating in a VAC server, and then you just get VAC banned, allowing you to play online but not on VAC-secured servers.

Taking the Death Toll
    And even then that only applies to what engine the game you cheated on was. Cheat in CS 1.6, no more DoD 1.3, Natural Selection, etc. for you. But you can still play CSS.

Solution: Don't cheat. You cheat, you deserve what you get. And that includes losing your game.

That doesn't work either, because instead of coming to the conclusion that nobody wants to deal with their DRM, they just assume PC gaming is a waste of money.
    If other companies with reasonable anti-piracy measures have good PC sales numbers and Ubi has shitty PC sales numbers, then maybe they would get the point.

I don't think that will happen though because when it comes to piracy & DRM, people talk the talk but don't walk the walk. If the game is good, people who buy games will buy it and people who pirate games will pirate it and that tends to be true regardless of the DRM.

Publishers live in a failed environment. The piracy arms race has gotten to be so severe that it's done damage to PC gaming that I fear may be irreparable. It's stopped being about curtailing piracy (the old "please don't steal this game" era) and has become about controlling the consumer. A lot of this can be blamed on the rise of the internet- it's easier than ever to control from afar what the consumer is able to do with the product they spent money on. This will only get worse before it gets better. Thanks to the escalating war between publishers who only care about money, and pirates who only care about "sticking it to the man," the DRM/piracy debate is a ship that is rapidly hurtling towards the sun, meanwhile everyone aboard is burning alive and looking for a way out.
    Yeah, it does feel like being caught in the middle of a war. Part of it can be blamed on the internet, which both pirates and publishers try to exploit. But I also think it can be blamed on the increasing cost of game development.

Back in the mid-1990s, PC game devleopers were small, independent businesses. Now they're megabuck Hollywood-esque studio giants led by teams of biz guys fretting about whether they're going to make their numbers every quarter. Just look at the game credits these days. Doom took one company of ~10 people to make. Quake 1 took one company and less than 20 people, and that includes the biz guys. For Quake 2, they had Activision do the QA and publishing, and now ~40 people were involved total. Fast forward 10 years and go count the people listed in the credits for Bioshock. The list is so long I can't even be bothered to go through it all, but it's probably a couple hundred people. The stakes in game publishing have gone up!

but... they can still sell *more* copies of the game at that lower price and make more money. They're slowly trying to bring the price up to see how much a consumer will pay for a game. I would never pay $60 for a game only to be insulted and risk losing access to it at some point.

Personally, I'm not so price conscious when it comes to games. I can afford the money for games more than the time to play them. Also, I remember paying $40 for C64 games when I was like 14 or 15 years old. That was a lot of money to me then and I was picky. A $60 game now is a relative bargain, considering inflation and the amount of content. And even if I only play it once, I'll probably spend 20 hours on it, which works out to about $3/hour entertainment cost. That's less than all the rest of my hobbies except maybe playing tennis.

Anyway, pricing aside, there's no way I'm going to play a game that stores my saves online. I want control of my saves so 5 years from now when I get the random urge to play again I can pull my old saves from a backup and check things out, or share them with others if I like. Also, I want the option of playing offline when I'm traveling.

On my current ADSL connection I am forced to reboot my modem anywhere up to several times a day to rectify intermittent throughput or dropout issues. I can only imagine how annoying this would be if I was in the middle of a game and had to reboot my modem just to perform a quicksave.

With ubisoft doing this I can play ubisoft games again, that starforce protection system can turn your working computer into a pile of useless parts, it seems to rewrite your hardware permissions at a software level and if your computer crashes or there's a power cut, then there's the chance that after the crash or powercut all you have is the pile.
    And I already have a ubisoft account, and EA, and Microsoft Live, and steam, and blizzard.

And you hackers aint going to be sending me more fake scammy emails cos I've removed my email from this site so go and stick your arse up your bum hole and smell the wong poo pong put.

I get the feeling that companies are watching digital distribution services that are DRM free as the extended-life format for their titles. By this I mean, the Publishers release the game with lots of DRM (although this is being scaled back in some cases due to large negative reviews on places like Amazon which can affect game sales), and when they feel they can move it to a back-catalogue then they can place it on sites like GOG. Activision have just signed up for GOG to put some of their older titles on there, for instance.

As to when a company thinks that a game should be moved to the back-catalogue, then I guess it depends on how big the title is. It's highly unlikely that EA would put "The Sims", or Activision putting "Diablo" on there since they still make money from standard CD sales.

The big question is whether the digital distribution format will have DRM on it or not. GOG constantly have to convince the publishers that piracy of older titles will not hit sales in a significant way, but some are still unconvinced.

So I'm not too fussed if games come with hideous DRM on them - I'll just not buy them. The more people do this, the more chance it will be moved to the back-catalogue and we can get it digitally, hopefully with no DRM.

Quote Originally Posted by belboz View Post
    With ubisoft doing this I can play ubisoft games again
    Ubisoft hasn't used Starforce for years. They just released a string of games that didn't use any copy protection whatsoever (Prince of Persia, HAWX, etc).

Oh they're not all rabid about it. I'm not. I've grown to have a cautious liking for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    Personally, I'm not so price conscious when it comes to games. I can afford the money for games more than the time to play them. Also, I remember paying $40 for C64 games when I was like 14 or 15 years old..
    Yeah? Remember the insane triple digit mission pack offers that popped up at the end of shareware versions of games like Rise of the Triad? Remember Quake costing 60USD? That was crazy.

I paid $70 for several Super Nintendo carts.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast