TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: t2skies - Enhanced skies for Thief 2: The Metal Age

Easy. Nothing special required, just copy the celestial, sky, fog, cloud, distant art and stars settings from a patched OM and tweak to your liking. If you list ddfix and t2skies as requirements for your FM, you don't have to do anything else. If you don't want to list t2skies as a requirement, you'll need to bundle the override and replacement textures and STARS.BIN.

Does this mean ddfix is required to play the FM? If thatīs the case I will not use it.

And are you able to change the fact that some of the FMs like "in dubio pro Garrett" or "Ominous bequest" have this star problem? It would be great if only the sky of the OMs would be changed by your program.

Quote Originally Posted by Dainem View Post
    Does this mean ddfix is required to play the FM? If thatīs the case I will not use it.
    Why is that?

What I mean: Iīm creating a new FM and I like to put the new sky in it. But if the players are forced to install ddfix I will not use it because I guess most of the players have no idea about ddfix and will therefore not play my new mission.

Are there many people not using DDFix? They should be, so if it was a requirement for your mission, you could put it in the readme with a link and they'd have to install it. Is there any reason someone wouldn't be using DDFix apart from not knowing about it?

I've been meaning to ask for a while: am running a GeF 4 64Mb AGP (oh, stop laughing): would DDFix improve things noticeably for me? (I'm having no problems using whql-cert 93.71 Forceware drivers.)

t2skies means high-resolution textures, and ddfix provides support for those, so it is required, there's no way around that.

ddfix has been around for a while so my guess is that the majority of the FM crowd is already using it. Those that aren't, really ought to wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dainem View Post
    And are you able to change the fact that some of the FMs like "in dubio pro Garrett" or "Ominous bequest" have this star problem? It would be great if only the sky of the OMs would be changed by your program.
    Unfortunately the stars are the same for all missions. No way around that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    would DDFix improve things noticeably for me?
    Yes, definitely.

Got me a new desktop image! Thanks, jermi! Looks very very nice.

As to the EnableLifeOfThePartyFogFix: I think what's happening is that the functionality this flag enables has an added side-effect that suits your purposes. I'll take a look at what's happening internally in DDFix that makes your skies work.

BTW I could have DDFix look for a text file called something like "ddfix_t2skies.txt" in the same folder as the ddfix dll and enable EnableLifeOfThePartyFogFix if this file is found. FM authors who use t2skies would then only need to add this file to their mission zip to get DDFix to use the EnableLifeOfThePartyFogFix flag without having to touch ddfix.ini.

Also, since we have control over graphics rendering (via DDFix) I guess it may be feasible to replace Thief2's sky rendering completely. You could then have whatever you needed within the limitations of DX6. If we used Timeslip's DX9 version of DDFix we could have skies as good as Thief4.

Quote Originally Posted by SiO2 View Post
    Also, since we have control over graphics rendering (via DDFix) I guess it may be feasible to replace Thief2's sky rendering completely. You could then have whatever you needed within the limitations of DX6. If we used Timeslip's DX9 version of DDFix we could have skies as good as Thief4.
    It would be very fantastic for a future mission from me, if it's possible to change the sky during the game, so I have two different skies in different locations.

Quote Originally Posted by PsymH View Post
    It would be very fantastic for a future mission from me, if it's possible to change the sky during the game, so I have two different skies in different locations.
    This may be a question for the FM author forums. For my part, I could put a function into DDFix that could control the DDFix flags - such as LOTPFogFix - if you could call it some way via a T2 trigger.

At the very least I can add code to DDFix to detect a text filename in your mission zip and enable LOTPFogFix for t2skies. This would mean that end-users would not need LOTPFogFix on all the time and DarkLoader would install/cleanup the text file.

BTW Your "Mirror Of Return" is a fantastic mission!

EnableLifeOfThePartyFogFix is for the "Life Of The Party" OM only. It may break fog in all other missons that use fog. Is EnableLifeOfThePartyFogFix=1 absolutely necessary?
    Hmmm. I did a quick test with Ambush OM and I couldn't see any difference with LOTPFogFix on or off - the enhanced sky looked just as great with both settings.

Could you give me a repro case? Ideally, an OM savegame that shows a noticable difference between LOTPFogFix on and off, your ddfix.ini and your ddfix.dll.

Framed, Masks and of course LOTP are the only missions where LOTPFogFix makes any difference.

My ddfix.dll file version is 1.4.4.0. My ddfix.ini:

Code:
    [Main]
    ;Screen resolution
    ;Must be 800x600 or greater
    gWidth=1920
    gHeight=1080

;Refresh rate. 0 is default, anything else to override.
    RefreshRate=0

;Set to 1 to fix the duel core related crash
    MultiCoreFix=1

;Set to 1 to automatically register lgvid.ax each time thief is started up
    VideoFix=1

;This can be set to zero to get a more accurate z-buffer
    ;Doesn't usually make a noticable difference to picture quality
    UseCompatibleZBuffer=1

;Turns on the 32 bit texture loader and adds support for some unsupported screen resolutions
    ;Will cause a crash if used with an unsupported exe
    ; 0 - Disable
    ; 1 - Determine exe automatically
    ; 2 - Thief 2 v1.18
    Thief2Extensions=1

;Set to 1 to disable the windows keys while thief is running
    DisableWindowsKey=0

;Set to 1 to enable anisotropic filtering
    AnisotropicFiltering=0

;If you want to share overriden textures between thief installations, uncomment the next line
    ;It should contain the absolute path to the equivilent of \res\ddfix, including the trailing \
    TexturePath=E:\Games\Thief2Common\res\ddfix\

;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    ;XX Compatibility settings XX

;Changes the way direct writes to the frontbuffer are handled
    ;SS2 players should set these options to '2' and '0xf81f' respectively
    ;Thief 2 players with corrupted in game text should use '2' and '0x0000'
    ;Players who experience slowdown with UseSysMemOverlay=2 should set both options to 0
    UseSysMemOverlay=2
    OverlayColourKey=0xf81f

;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    ;XX SIO2: Fog fixes XX
    ;XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

;General fix for all Thief2 missions that use fog.
    ;Default value is 1 (enabled) so all mission that use fog can benefit.
    EnableFogFix=1

;Special fog fixes for the Thief2 Original Mission "Life Of The Party".
    ;Enabling this for missions other than "Life Of The Party" may break other missions that use fog.
    ;Default value is 0 (disabled) because it breaks other fog missions (broken sky, etc)
    EnableLifeOfThePartyFogFix=1
    I'm glad you like the desktop background, I guess it's not bad considering it's just a byproduct, put together in one evening from the materials used in this mod. I should thank you, though. Fog in TMA now looks way better than it ever did on any hw+sw combination I've ever used to play it. Smog-filled Framed is now my favourite OM, thanks to LOTPFogFix.

Sounds like a good idea to allow FMs to explicitly override ddfix settings - why not make it so that it's just another ini file that would allow overriding any settings in ddfix.ini? t2skies could also have its own override file, and the FM override file would of course have to take precedence.

That wouldn't tackle all cases, though. An FM might consist of multiple missions requiring different ddfix settings (a bit of a stretch, maybe). Also some old FMs benefit greatly from having specific settings, such as LOTPFogFix. It's pretty awkward, someone would have to make a database of suitable settings for old FMs, and ddfix would have to detect the mission and apply the settings.

Completely replacing TMA's sky rendering - might be interesting to experiment with that, but I'm not sure I could do anything useful with it. TMA's sky rendering isn't too bad - of course there's some banding and clipping and z and alpha problems that would go away with full control of the rendering.

Albert
    Quote Originally Posted by SiO2 View Post
    At the very least I can add code to DDFix to detect a text filename in your mission zip and enable LOTPFogFix for t2skies. This would mean that end-users would not need LOTPFogFix on all the time and DarkLoader would install/cleanup the text file.
    This is exactly what I was talking about. And how about making a little patcher that adds the text files to the FM zips defining whether they work best with LOTPfix or not.

BANNED
    What the hell is this??

How can I avoid it?

And this one??

You're missing all the high-resolution replacement textures.

I trust ddfix is installed and working? Make sure you have the settings mentioned in the first post in your ddfix.ini. Then make sure that you have a "t2skies" directory (listing below) in the replacement texture location specified in ddfix.ini. For example, for me it's TexturePath=E:\Games\Thief2Common\res\ddfix\ (see my ddfix.ini two posts back).

Code:
     Directory of e:\Games\Thief2Common\RES\ddfix\t2skies

10.04.2010  18:22    <DIR>          .
    10.04.2010  18:22    <DIR>          ..
    28.03.2010  23:05         1 398 236 citcoun.dds
    20.02.2010  23:13        22 369 748 clouds75.dds
    20.02.2010  23:13        22 369 748 clouds95.dds
    27.03.2010  13:28         5 592 540 distcit.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoon01.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoon02.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoon03.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoon04.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoon05.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoon06.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoon07.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoon08.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoon09.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoon10.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoon11.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoon12.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoonec.dds
    08.01.2010  12:01           349 652 pmoonfr.dds
                  18 File(s)     56 625 400 bytes

BANNED
    dammit!! forgot to fix the ddfix.ini stuff I am the culprit

Thank you.

BANNED
    Hmmm.. posted these settings but still it doesn't work:

Code:
    Thief2Extensions=1 
    EnableFogFix=1 

I can't find DDFix anywhere on the Net - at least not this newer version. Can someone please direct me to it? Timeslip's page is down (at least for me).

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post

t2skies - Enhanced skies for Thief 2: The Metal Age

Contents

• Realistic star field, generated with t2stars (with default parameters).
    • High resolution texture replacements for
      • The Moon (t2moon).
      • Clouds.
      • Distant art.
    • t2skies.[c|exe] - a program that patches the celestial, sky, cloud deck and distant art parameters in the mis files (obsoletes t2fogskies, unless you don't want to use the high-resolution clouds and distant art).

Installation

Requires ddfix 1.4.3_alpha or later.

delaford: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post1950412

Jermi, I'd really suggest changing the thread (or at least include a direct link to the download) in the first post - Nameless voice's DDFix thread is currently out of date (Bikerdude's thread here is a better option, IMO).

Thanks!

Thanks, just what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    delaford: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post1950412

Jermi, I'd really suggest changing the thread (or at least include a direct link to the download) in the first post - Nameless voice's DDFix thread is currently out of date (Bikerdude's thread here is a better option, IMO).

Link in the first post updated.

massimilianogoi, I'm guessing texture replacement isn't working for you at all. Did you try / are you using NTEX? You should post your entire ddfix.ini.

BANNED
    Link in the first post updated.

massimilianogoi, I'm guessing texture replacement isn't working for you at all. Did you try / are you using NTEX? You should post your entire ddfix.ini.
    What NTEX is?

ddfix.ini
    Code:
    [Main]
    ;Screen resolution
    ;Must be 800x600 or greater
    gWidth=1280
    gHeight=1024

;Refresh rate. 0 is default, anything else to override.
    RefreshRate=0

;Set to 1 to fix the duel core related crash
    MultiCoreFix=1

;Set to 1 to automatically register lgvid.ax each time thief is started up
    VideoFix=1

;This can be set to zero to get a more accurate z-buffer
    ;Doesn't usually make a noticable difference to picture quality
    UseCompatibleZBuffer=1

;Turns on the 32 bit texture loader and adds support for some unsupported screen resolutions
    ;Will cause a crash if used with an unsupported exe
    ; 0 - Disable
    ; 1 - Determine exe automatically
    ; 2 - Thief 2 v1.18
    Thief2Extensions=1

;Set to 1 to disable the windows keys while thief is running
    DisableWindowsKey=0

;Set to 1 to enable anisotropic filtering
    AnisotropicFiltering=0

;If you want to share overriden textures between thief installations, uncomment the next line
    ;It should contain the absolute path to the equivilent of \res\ddfix, including the trailing \
    TexturePath=C:\Games\Thief2\res\ddfix\

;XX Compatibility settings XX

;Changes the way direct writes to the frontbuffer are handled
    ;SS2 players should set these options to '2' and '0xf81f' respectively
    ;Thief 2 players with corrupted in game text should use '2' and '0x0000'
    ;Players who experience slowdown with UseSysMemOverlay=2 should set both options to 0
    UseSysMemOverlay=2
    OverlayColourKey=0xf81f

Thief2Extensions=1 
    EnableFogFix=1 

NTEX is a high-resolution texture pack for TMA.

That ini file looks like it's based on an older version. Are you sure you're using ddfix 1.4.3 alpha or later. And are you absolutely sure that you have the directory C:\Games\Thief2\res\ddfix\t2skies ?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I'm having issues with consistency with this. I followed the directions and based on Casing, it looks like my setup has access to all the new resources:

However, when I load Ambush I seem to be missing everything except the new stars, although they only appear overhead:

I'm sure I said Yes to patch every OM, but I may try going back and letting it re-patch Ambush.

Framed, Masks and of course LOTP are the only missions where LOTPFogFix makes any difference.
    Darn. Trust me to choose Ambush OM to test with! I'll test with the OM's you mention above.

Anyway, here's my idea for enabing t2skies without messing around with the LOTFFogFix stuff. I'll modify DDFix to look for an enable flag in a "t2skies.ini" file.

t2skies.ini:
    [DDFix]
    Enable=1

This tells DDFix to do whatever it needs internally to support T2Skies. It doesn't need to mention fog, as this is implicit.

DDFix 1.4.5 (with support for t2skies.ini) coming soon...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast