TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: t2skies - Enhanced skies for Thief 2: The Metal Age

New DDFix for T2Skies

New DDFix (1.4.5) here:
    http://sio2.g0dsoft.com/ddfix_1.4.5.zip

This version of DDFix has support for t2skies. The t2skies.ini file (designed to live in the same folder as ddfix.ini) is read by DDFix and if "Enable" is set to 1 in the [DDFix] section then the LOTPFogFix is enabled internally. With this DDFix version you don't need to modify ddfix.ini for T2Skies.

A sample t2skies.ini is included in the zip file for Fan Mission authors. This can be included in the FM zip file to automatically get DDFix 1.4.5 and t2skies to play nice together.

Great (although I would've done it differently myself ). I see the LOTPFogFix option still exists, at least in the ini file. How do these options interact?

Yandros, that's an unpatched mis file, alright. EP moon and clouds. If the patcher doesn't work, please run it with the verbose option ("t2skies.exe -v 9") and send me the output.

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    Great (although I would've done it differently myself
    Nothing is set in stone yet. How would you have "done it"?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Yandros, that's an unpatched mis file, alright. EP moon and clouds. If the patcher doesn't work, please run it with the verbose option ("t2skies.exe -v 9") and send me the output.
    Figured it out. The mis file was patched fine, but I loaded an old save game on Ambush (but not on Casing). You have to restart to see everything. Ambush looks totally amazing, jermi!

BANNED
    NTEX is a high-resolution texture pack for TMA.

That ini file looks like it's based on an older version. Are you sure you're using ddfix 1.4.3 alpha or later. And are you absolutely sure that you have the directory C:\Games\Thief2\res\ddfix\t2skies ?
    Yes, I have downloaded the latest version.

Looks like your ddfix.ini says "TexturePath=C:\Games\Thief2\res\ddfix\" but it should be "TexturePath=C:\Programmi\Thief2\res\ddfix\".

Quote Originally Posted by SiO2 View Post
    Nothing is set in stone yet. How would you have "done it"?
    It might be confusing that ddfix reads "t2skies.ini", which at first glance might look like an ini file for t2skies.exe. I'm probably just nitpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Figured it out. The mis file was patched fine, but I loaded an old save game on Ambush (but not on Casing). You have to restart to see everything.
    Oh that's what it was. I should put that in the instructions.

BANNED
    Looks like your ddfix.ini says "TexturePath=C:\Games\Thief2\res\ddfix\" but it should be "TexturePath=C:\Programmi\Thief2\res\ddfix\".
    No changes :/

massi, be sure to restart the mission, you can't load a save game.

jermi, I've been trying to get this working in DCE just to see what the new distart especially looks like, and haven't yet gotten it to show up. Does the patching do anything aside from changing the settings of various sky properties? I've copied the settings over from Ambush now that it works, but I get crappy stars, a giant circle overhead (takes up about half the sky), and no distant art.

So that means the override pcx files are there but ddfix doesn't find the replacement textures. Is this by any chance a different copy of Thief2 than the one you already had working?

The patching only changes the NewSky settings. Really the only thing you have to do to switch to new distantart is to change the texture name.

The stars are easy to fix: just set the max sky intensity value to one million.

People should be in the habit of NOT be installing Thief2 into "Program Files" (and variants on x64 systems) if they want to avoid issues with later OS's. That folder is protected in Vista and Win7 and requires admin rights.

It might be confusing that ddfix reads "t2skies.ini", which at first glance might look like an ini file for t2skies.exe. I'm probably just nitpicking.
    But I'm assuming that t2skies.ini will come from you, either directly from a download of your T2Skies or indirectly in an FM zip. Hence the [DDFix section] - it shouldn't clash with anything you would want to put in t2skies.ini. The t2skies.ini file can go from the next ddfix zip release.

BANNED
    massi, be sure to restart the mission, you can't load a save game.
    Done it. But that fricking circle remains

The patching only changes the NewSky settings. Really the only thing you have to do to switch to new distantart is to change the texture name.

The stars are easy to fix: just set the max sky intensity value to one million.
    What I have to change?? And how?

And you mean that I have to install another Thief 2 copy on my hard drive??

People should be in the habit of NOT be installing Thief2 into "Program Files" (and variants on x64 systems) if they want to avoid issues with later OS's. That folder is protected in Vista and Win7 and requires admin rights.
    Don't worry, I still have Windows XP, and I feel great with it >=) I've not intention to change it, until I will be obligated by circumstances, of I will feel annoyed by this SO (impossible).

But I'm assuming that t2skies.ini will come from you, either directly from a download of your T2Skies or indirectly in an FM zip. Hence the [DDFix section] - it shouldn't clash with anything you would want to put in t2skies.ini. The t2skies.ini file can go from the next ddfix zip release.
    That'll work, except that after installing t2skies, the user has to edit the ini file to play FMs that don't include the ini file themselves. But there's no easy way around that. I'll put the ini file in the t2skies zipfile.

Quote Originally Posted by massimilianogoi View Post
    What I have to change?? And how?

And you mean that I have to install another Thief 2 copy on my hard drive??
    No no, I was replying to the last post (Yandros). Come to think of it, you could try to install a fresh copy of Thief2+ddfix and make sure that it works before trying t2skies.

I see that ring too (and none of the new t2skies stuff), but only in Dromed. I'm positive I've patched Dromed to use DDFix but will keep poking around with it tonight and try to figure it out.

BANNED
    No no, I was replying to the last post (Yandros). Come to think of it, you could try to install a fresh copy of Thief2+ddfix and make sure that it works before trying t2skies.
    And how can I test if Thief2+ddfix are working themselves?

Is there no way to playing FMs with the new sky textures? The only thing that the patcher does is changing the star density and looking into the source code confirms this. If I change the sky texture file names by hand to match the original ones, it didn't work.

Albert
    DDFix 1.4.5 (with support for t2skies.ini) coming soon...
    Ah good, this'll solve a few problems.

Now, how about a EAX to OpenAL converter now? I know I sound impatient, but this laptop would be 100% perfect at playing thief if I could only just get EAX.

We've gotten so far, guys. Let's tackle one problem at a time.

Let's stop me from hijacking the topics of threads and sending them into the left field.

Albert
    Though seriously, (and to keep myself from making ugly posts), I've had no problems with the t2skies patch. If anything, I'm getting those clustered stars in FMs, and sky problems when an FM requires the LOTP fix to be set 0.

1.4.5 will solve these problems? maybe?

EDIT: Oh damn, being an idiot I am, I was reading too far back when this thread started up, and posted in response to Si02's announcement before I realized it was already out. Damn, forgive me, I ate paintchips as a child...

Quote Originally Posted by PsymH View Post
    Is there no way to playing FMs with the new sky textures?
    Technically, it's not difficult at all. If I install for example Morrgan's "All for a Night's Sleep", rename miss25.mis -> miss5.mis, run t2skies.exe and let it patch miss5.mis, which t2skies.exe thinks is Ambush, then rename the file back to miss25.mis and start the game, this is what I get:

Garish. Of course, all it needs is a little bit of parameter tuning, but that would have to be done individually for each FM.

I don't suppose this fixes the graphical bug that makes all skies look like 8-bit colour vomit? I don't think my game will look any better if it makes these pretty skies look like a pile of taff too...

I think DDFix fixes that, Plat. Not sure though.

I think DDFix fixes that, Plat. Not sure though.
    DDFix was the one thing that started it. Before DDFix my Thief 2 was unable to render stars, but the clouds and everything else was fine. I could only run the game by fiddling around the menus in some strange way or else it crashed. When I got DDFix, the game ran fine and didn't try to change resolutions all the time, but the colours of the sky went from 65536 colours to 256 colours which looks really bad. And it looked like the skybox textures shrunk to 10% of their original size.

That's really strange. DDFix should allow 32 bit texturing, and certainly shouldn't downsample to 8 bit as it sounds is happening. Biker, NV, anyone have an idea what's going on?

jermi,

Why don't you zip up a test mission with all your tweaks so we can take a peek at all the params. Include a readme.

Redundant. Just use t2skies.exe to patch some OMs, then open the patched mis file. Or look at the source - you don't even have to be able to read C, just read the comments.

Platinumoxicity, a screenshot might help. Which video card?

I dunno what I just did but it fixed it. I was fidgeting around with the weather and other video settings and the problem was gone. Time to try this thing out then.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast