TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: t2skies - Enhanced skies for Thief 2: The Metal Age

I'm a bit late to the party.

A quick question, partly because I'm too lazy / don't have time to experiment with this right now: what does enabling the LOTP fog fix change? You mentioned that it only affects Framed, Masks and LOTP - does that mean that all the other OMs work fine without it? In which case, would it not be possible to patch those specific missions somehow, rather than relying on the hack?

Also: do the changes made to the .mis files (adjusting the sky settings) have any negative impact on playing those missions without the updated stars? Would there be any harm in included the changes already in the various patched .mis files that are floating around, or is there not really any point?

LOTP fog fix enables global fog for those three missions. Without it, Framed doesn't have any kind of fog anywhere, and LOTP and Masks have badly broken fog. Fixing the mis files should be possible at least for Framed and LOTP, but Masks might be difficult. Either way, it's definitely a more invasive hack than LOTP fog fix.

I'm probably not getting the last two questions ... playing missions patched by t2skies without the fam\skyhw content? Stars wouldn't be a problem, I think, but you'd have no cloud, moon, or distant art textures.

Since when is Framed meant to have fog?
    I haven't noticed anything wrong with the fog in Masks. Is this specific to T2 skies?
    Basically, I don't understand why fixing the fog is required for adjusting the skies. They seem like two separate issues.

Right, so the patcher modifies the .mis files to change the textures that are used by the celestial objects and distance art? Couldn't you just use DDFix overrides for that?

I'm having the same issue as massimilianogoi.

I don't know why the screenshot is so dark. It's much brighter in-game.

I have tried reinstalling and I have verified that DDfix is working.

Win XP SP2
    Geforce 6800 GT
    Driver 197.45
    Last edited by Vanir; 17th May 2010 at 23:49.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I also still get that in Dromed, but not through T2.exe.

I have one Thief2 installation that doesn't do that, and another one that does, but only with Interference via "new game", and it always goes away with a mission restart. It has to be a ddfix bug. But if your problem doesn't go away with a mission restart, it's probably something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I haven't noticed anything wrong with the fog in Masks. Is this specific to T2 skies?
    Basically, I don't understand why fixing the fog is required for adjusting the skies. They seem like two separate issues.
    Because the sky is fogged. Below Masks with and without fog fix.

Right, so the patcher modifies the .mis files to change the textures that are used by the celestial objects and distance art? Couldn't you just use DDFix overrides for that?
    Only if I wanted the replacement to affect all FMs as well, which I don't. See this post.

Whoa that looks good. I really need to replay Thief with this mod.

I get your point, but shouldn't the clouds and probably the moon work as drop-in replacements, if not the distance art?
    Rotations and alphas don't really matter for the clouds, do they?

Alpha definitely matters. The original cloud texture has no alpha channel, so in the OMs the cloud deck object alpha is set somewhere in the 0.1 - 0.2 range, if I recall correctly. With a proper alpha channel in the texture, the best object alpha is 1, so that the clouds correctly occlude the stars and the moon when they're supposed to. And alpha is not the only problem, either.

So, really the only textures in t2skies that would work as drop-in replacements are the moon textures.

That all makes sense, then.

I got it working. I'm not even sure what I did, but I think the last "\" may have been missing off the end of the texture path.

Looks gorgeous, BTW.

Sorry to have to resurrect this thread but I feel that I too should say:

Great Work!

Albert
    Yeah, bringing this back from the dead, I gotta say, jermi: This is the best graphcs enhancement pack for thief I've ever downloaded. If all the other enhancements packs were as complete as this (NV, you know what I mean), then a marriage between your pack and others would be just marvelous.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    If all the other enhancements packs were as complete as this (NV, you know what I mean), then a marriage between your pack and others would be just marvelous.
    Yes, because there's only 1,800+ object textures in Thief 2, which should be very easy for one person to do by themselves.

ZylonBane
    Hey, go easy on Albert. He's got so many feet, and only one mouth.

Albert
    Yes, because there's only 1,800+ object textures in Thief 2, which should be very easy for one person to do by themselves.
    I uh, didn't mean to say your going too slow. Damn, I did imply it though, didn't I? Er, sorry man. I understand it's a grueling task to finish the Thief EP. Let me just instead say, that I'm impressed with the work you've done thus far, and hope that in the near future, it get's close to completion.

I uh, didn't mean to sound so impatient, I was just merely pushing for a complete package of all the enhancements made thus far, those which have been well received by our clan (Merry poly-oh, much unlike, and larger than, the Banana Splits, thank goodness).

Godammit, I promised myself I'd try making my statements more frank, sincere, and to the point. I should get out more.

I should stop playing Thief, and do more social interacting with my fellow human peers. Hey, uh, is yogurt in a tube still popular, my cheery chaps?

(PS: ZB, I'll accept that statement as a gesture towards our supposed animosity... ? )
    (PSS: Are you saying I'm a starfish?!)

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    (PS: ZB, I'll accept that statement as a gesture towards our supposed animosity... ? )
    I accept it as a statement that, at point blank, makes one laugh.

The problem with the EP is that all the easy objects have been done, and most of the remaining objects are awkward in some way and I don't want to do them, or don't feel that I could do them justice.

It would be great if someone else with good texturing and/or modelling skills decided to take a crack at the remaining objects.

But this is drifting seriously off-topic in this thread. Any more discussion on it ought to be moved to the EP thread.

If I could get someone to do my sky, I may release another mission! I'm seriously tech deficient.

Albert
    But this is drifting seriously off-topic in this thread. Any more discussion on it ought to be moved to the EP thread.
    Indeed. Sorry I even brought it up. It's just that of all the communities out there, we seem to be one of the only ones w/o a complete EP for our respective game.

Well, most EPs out there aren't totally complete, but they do seem to be outnumbered by the completed ones.

Ricebug, what the hell? Making a mission takes a year, making a sky takes an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    Ricebug, what the hell? Making a mission takes a year, making a sky takes an hour.
    Good! You're hired!

Totally ignored you there.

Seriously though, you probably don't want to hire me because I refuse to work without ddfix.

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    the only remaining issue is that the moon doesn't have a proper alpha map and therefore the stars are visible through it. Common problem.
    Is there a fix for this?

No.

The next version of EP might have proper alpha maps, or I could make drop-in replacements for use with FMs myself, but even that wouldn't fix those FMs which use <1 object alpha for the moon. And then there's also many FMs with a custom moon.

In any case Dark renders the sky and the moon the wrong way around and there's no fix for that other than to tweak each mission individually.

Wouldn't be there any issues if I move the FAM folder into t2skies directory and add the path to darkinst.cfg?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast