TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: t2skies - Enhanced skies for Thief 2: The Metal Age

Well, one of the reasons I didn't do that myself is that if EP or similar is installed afterwards, it may end up overriding t2skies. ./FAM is almost foolproof.

Even though it's a bit untidy, IMHO the best thing to do would be to install the stuff in ./FAM, with confirmation from the user if anything needs to be overwritten.

Thanks for the reply. As soon as I consider adding EP to Tafferpatcher too, I think I can handle the issue. Also I plan to add some sort of configuration utility for darkinst.cfg, to help users to set the priority for the installed mods without having to edit darkinst.cfg directly.

Sounds excellent. In that case the t2skies stuff should be put into a t2skies.crf file which would go into the RES directory (just like EP.crf).

The EP doesn't go into res. Plus, the next version of the EP will be a folder, not a crf, due to the fact that ddfix won't find .ovverride files inside a .crf.

My mistake ... I must have moved it into res myself, for some reason.

jermi, is there a way to release a FM with both old sky and an enhanced version?

Or would the option require manual switching, or a change to Darkloader(to load an enhanced version if available)?

I have a mission that I spent quite a bit or time on the old sky(Distant Art), but was thinking about an enhanced version too.

Isn't that exactly what the .override files are for?

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    Isn't that exactly what the .override files are for?
    I was unaware of .override files(haven't been following the ddfix thread)

I current have 2 distant art images(non repeating) 256x256 TGA, if I'm overriding them with 1024x256 TGA or DDS files, is there also an alteration that I have to do to the .mis file?
    Last edited by Sxerks; 24th Aug 2010 at 23:06.

No.

I'd imagine they work just like any other override. You place the high-res image in the appropriate location and get the DDFix GUI to create a .override file for the texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Hmm, now that I've gotten around to it, your t2skies patch doesn't even work. The stars work, but cluster up. That's all; no new clouds, skybox or moon.
    Cluster up how? No change at all to clouds and moon?

Albert
    Nope! only the new, yet clustered, stars appear.

This is an image you made, displaying that exact problem.

jtr7
    The horizon has a Milky Way mustache!

Albert
    *chuckles in a bemused way*

jtr7

Albert, that's either an unpatched mis file or an old savegame. Make sure t2skies.exe patches all mis files and if you load saved games, remember that you need to restart the mission.

Albert
    Ah, well I've ran the t2skies executable at least 2 times, so your first verdict is implausible. Second, it is always a new game I use to see if it works. I deleted the STARS.BIN file, so now I have no t2skies effects, what so ever (as it was when I first had this problem). Is it possible to pack all the t2skies files into a crf?

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Is it possible to pack all the t2skies files into a crf?
    No. DDFix won't find override files in .crfs.

ZylonBane
    25 quatloos says Al isn't telling it to patch the MIS files.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I'll see your 25 quatloos and raise you 10 darseks.

I, uh, replaced my official missions by the mission patches in tafferpatcher. I can reinstall, no problem, but when i tried to install t2skies, i saw the square moon. Just a missconfiguration or is this dependent on file offsets of the original files to edit the moon?

Edit: works now, weird.
    Last edited by SeriousCallersOnly; 25th Oct 2010 at 05:19.

Couldn't this program (and especially the run t2skies.exe part) be incorporated into ddfix? I mean it already requires it, and fan missions should gain from this, and also they are backedup in archives anyway. It's unwieldy right now.

Zombified
    not a good idea.first thing,some people prefer the old,classic looks with no graphics enhancements,and use ddfix only to make the game compatible with modern graphics cards.second,t2skies changes the hardware requirements quite significantly-while you can run ddfixed thief on a laptop or mini desktop pc with integrated graphics with no problems,installing t2skies will make the game unplayable.

bugfix patches an graphics enhancemets should not be merged,period.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    not a good idea.first thing,some people prefer the old,classic looks with no graphics enhancements,and use ddfix only to make the game compatible with modern graphics cards.second,t2skies changes the hardware requirements quite significantly-while you can run ddfixed thief on a laptop or mini desktop pc with integrated graphics with no problems,installing t2skies will make the game unplayable.

In the cases where you don't want it, but have t2skies installed, edit the ddfix config file to disable it for a while, or the graphical configurator or something. It is the exception, not the rule i'd hazard.

bugfix patches an graphics enhancemets should not be merged,period.
    Can be disabled. What do you think the new bloom setting is? Enabled by default? Not a graphical enhancement? I meant the funcionality of replacing the references in mission files IF t2skies is installed, so you don't have to go to thief directory edit mission files in a command line (where you ALWAYS press 'y'), just to play with something you already installed.

Prompting in t2skies.exe can be disabled with the "-y" option.

It might be possible to fix the stars in ddfix, so that you wouldn't need to run t2skies.exe every time after installing an FM, but anything more than that would be impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    Prompting in t2skies.exe can be disabled with the "-y" option.

It might be possible to fix the stars in ddfix, so that you wouldn't need to run t2skies.exe every time after installing an FM, but anything more than that would be impractical.
    That's all i ask, unless fm makers want to control texture replacements themselves. I heard about .override files myself.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast