TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Transparency, illumination and shadows

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered

Transparency, illumination and shadows

Since all the new parameters, mtl files and such introduced by New Dark, (of which I don't understand a damn thing, btw), is there a way to:

1- have a "real" shadow of an object with transparent parts, i.e. a vine? What I mean is a projection of the opaque part only, the vine itself, not of the whole rectangle.

2- have an object lying on the floor, i.e. a carpet to be affected by lights AND shadows, just like the adjacent terrain? As far as I know at the moment they appear completely enlightened.

Unfortunately, none of these are possible with New Dromed and New Dark.

re.2) if you can do modelling, you can improve lighting of objects a little, by adding more divisions to the mesh. Lighting is calculated per vertex, so the more vertices, the more accurate lighting will be. But still shadows are not possible.

I guess you could bake light/shadows into the diffuse texture, but that's hardly ideal unless it's a single use object.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    1 - an object will generate such shadows if it's part of the model itself and not just a texture with transparent portions. So a railing with actual modeled rail and posts will make shadows with those details, while one where the gaps between posts are just in the texture and the actual surface is flat will not. At least I think this is correct, I've not tried recently.

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    I see. There is no hope then. Unfortunately I can't modelling, even if, every now and then, I promise to myself to give a try.....

Many thanks everyone for answering.

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    It might be more trouble than it's worth, but you could add in a mishmash of smaller invisible objects that cast shadows, mimicking the various shapes of the ivy.

Sorry for the necromancy...

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    1 - an object will generate such shadows if it's part of the model itself and not just a texture with transparent portions. So a railing with actual modeled rail and posts will make shadows with those details, while one where the gaps between posts are just in the texture and the actual surface is flat will not. At least I think this is correct, I've not tried recently.
    Russ is correct. I have done the same thing with the 10' fence object and it casts shadows consistent with the physically open parts of the fence.

ZylonBane
    Well... yeah. We all knew he was correct.