TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interview with Paul Neurath

Thief sold 500,000 copies...in 1998. How many people here honestly owned it then? I don't think I purchased it until at least 1999, if not 2000, and that was during a time when it was still prominently displayed in places like Babbages, Electronics Boutique, and Best Buy.

(Actually, that 500,000 copy mark was set in 1998+1999, which doesn't really change things much.)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Neurath
    We should have dialed back somewhat the level of depth and complexity we put in some of our games, and put more emphasis on accessibility. We did learn from this, and Thief was the result.
    ZOMG, LGS totally sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    ZOMG, LGS totally sold out.
    I know. I saw that and cracked the fuck up.

ZylonBane
    Yeah, apparently some of the Thief team originally didn't even want to include mouselook.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well Thief's controll system was very accessible, if you compare it to Terra Nova and System Shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Uh, no? If Thief was a "major hit" with 500k copies, what would Quake 2 with one million be? And people didn't even care about Q2 all that much, really. As soon as new online FPS was done they dropped it, it never had the staying power that, say, Tribes did.
    The Quake series, including Quake 2, is one of the most successful series ever made. According to Wikipedia: "Quake II was the most popular online game for all of 1998".

On the other hand, Tribes sold less then Thief. According to Wikipedia: "Starsiege: Tribes sold a total of 210,000 copies ... Tribes 2 sold a total of 400,000 copies".

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren
    And his attempts to convince us that the same innovation and creativity he showed earlier in his career can be applied to what he's doing now, quite frankly, ring hollow.
    What attempts? The interviewer was too wrapped up in glorifying LGS to follow up on that, which was disappointing, because I imagine Paul thoughts on the subject would be a lot more interesting then hearing the interviewer repeat the same set of slogans we regurgitate every day on TTLG.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Spair
    It IS killing. In Russia, almost every single studio that was working on hardcore SP games 10 years ago is now working with casual audience or online games. I think this trend is happening all around the world. The 'hardcore/mainstream' relation has changed during the last few years. 10 years ago, Thief was hardcore and Doom was mainstream. Now, Call of Duty is hardcore and FarmVille is mainstream.
    Casual gaming is growing as hardcore gaming is becoming less hardcore ... but this does not mean that casual gaming is killing hardcore gaming. It could be the other way around (which is actually more likely: game designers jumping into casual games as it becomes harder to make money the traditional way), or the two phenomena could be unrelated.

Mainstream hardcore gaming has always been powered by games getting "better" every year ... better graphics, better sound, better AI ,etc ... this type of "hardcore gaming" is inherently unsustainable unless the hardcore audience grows faster then the cost of getting "better".

Hardcore gaming would have become less hardcore no matter what happened in the casual gaming world.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Chade View Post
    this type of "hardcore gaming" is inherently unsustainable unless the hardcore audience grows faster then the cost of getting "better".
    Truest thing I've heard today.

We've got to allow for the fact that this generation looks like it's a) dictated by the consoles and b) ready to be more drawn out than the last one.

I guess we're headed for a plateau, or at least a slow-down, because the average cost of development for a current-gen game vs. average sales seems unlikely to sustain the breakneck pace of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Yeah, apparently some of the Thief team originally didn't even want to include mouselook.
    Hah, some of those loots require precision down to the pixel...imagine that with DooM controls (no mouselook(...

Doom had mouselook. Even Wolf 3D did.

A fucking shame Floodgate only makes Hello Kitty games these days.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Spair View Post
    Doom had mouselook. Even Wolf 3D did.
    I meant vertical, I left it out on accident.

Doom's mouselook was really annoying to use, because the Y-axis made you run forwards or backwards instead of look vertical. I understand vertical looking and aiming wasn't technically feasible back then, but the Y-axis doing nothing at all would have been preferable to running forwards/backwards, in my opinion.

Yeah, that fucked with me so hard. Some other annoying mouse controls: Right click to jump or hold Right mouse button to run forward.

There was a way to turn Y-movement off. Not in the game menu, though.

PC gaming IS dead in its traditional state. PC gaming has been known for ages as the platform for game design innovation, immersive games and rich single-player experience. Looking Glass was a PCgames studio. Bethesda was formed as a PC games studio. Current immersive games that are being enjoyed all around TTLG (Stalker, BioShock - well, almost all around TTLG in case with this one, - Dark Messiah) are either PC only or multiplatform, but originated from PC games design concepts.

PC gaming now is MMO games like WOW and casual/social games now. Hardcore SP games are console games these days.
    The obvious outlier to this is the Total War series, which is PC-only and sells by the bucket-loads. Although you could quite easily argue that they left innovation behind after "Rome", since the later games just include fancier graphics and ship battles, with no real new gameplay. Similarly, Civilization is a big-seller on PC, although I don't know if that's PC only.

is Best Pony
    The main Civilization line is PC- and Mac-based; so far only Civilization Revolution has been spun off for the consoles AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian The Dog View Post
    The obvious outlier to this is the Total War series, which is PC-only and sells by the bucket-loads. Although you could quite easily argue that they left innovation behind after "Rome", since the later games just include fancier graphics and ship battles, with no real new gameplay. Similarly, Civilization is a big-seller on PC, although I don't know if that's PC only.
    I'm too lazy to search for the statistics, but I quite doubt that the last Total War game's sales were comparable to the top console hits of the time. Prove me wrong.

Looking Glass was a PCgames studio. Bethesda was formed as a PC games studio.
    Also, Epic and Infinity Ward. Although since I dunno what you were getting at there I'm not sure if it helps or hinders your point.

I'm too lazy to search for the statistics, but I quite doubt that the last Total War game's sales were comparable to the top console hits of the time. Prove me wrong.
    No, I'm too lazy too

is Best Pony
    It's perhaps also worth pointing out that Empire: Total War only made it to number 8 in NPD's list of the top-selling PC games of 2009 in the USA. The Sims 3, of course, was the top seller.

Taking the Death Toll
    God, can someone please change the thread title to "Interview with Paul Neurath" before my pedantry gland completely overloads?

Chakat sex pillow
    It'd be easier if you get yourself a pedanectomy, deth.

While translating this interview to Russian for darkfate, it felt like reading confessions of a man who risked once, failed hardly and painfully, and who doesn't want to risk no more.
    Unfotunately, all that stuff he told about "casual/social vs hardcore games", budgets and publishers etc. just gives him another point to proof his decision.

It's a shame for an inreviewer not to follow Paul and ask about in his approach for innovation in his today activities.

Interviewer having a sharp mind and good skills to tackle the situations at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12