TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: do you want me to release my last mission? 97% complete

You should be OK, at least with playing FMs with Win10. I have had very few issues. Some very old FMs can be flakey, but that is probably more due to new-dark than anything else. Best of luck with your work on this. I’ve loved your previous FMs. I think I will spin one up now for fun. I’ll try “Just Take A Look”. I think I never played it before.

Nope. Thief2 doesn't like me anymore. I tried starting up thief and after the briefing when I press continue and it loads, the colours are all screwed up, and it says: " The requested screen mode could not be set.", then windows says it has to shut it down.

Tafferpatcher might have a resolution pre-set in one of the config files, and it might be incompatible with your monitor. Check the Video menu and make the resolution equal to or lower than your native resolution (you can't go wrong with 'equal').

Southquarter.com/fms
    @ unca - what changed from the last page when you said T2 was running OK but you couldn't adjust the gamma? That at least indicated you were getting into the game.

I thought TP always started in the lowest resolution, probably just for this reason. 640x480 maybe.

My monitor resolution is 1920 X 1080. I tried 640 X 480, 1024 X 768, and 1600 X 1200. Sometimes I get the funny colours and the screen mode message, and sometimes it runs for a little while and then the game freezes. Either way I still can't change gamma. I didn't change anything, I guess I just didn't notice it was going to freeze the first time I test played it a little.

A silly thought but if I instal Thief on this windows 7 os of mine in the folder X86 all hell breaks loose, to get my one to work properly I have Thief installed on my C drive in the games folder and my Dromed as a seperate copy in the games folder...I used to have it in a folder on the desktop..and so far touch wood everything works properly...My mobo is The Republic Of Gamers and it's an unholy handful.
    Good luck mate I wish you well.

Once you install Thief 1 or 2, you dont need to install the game at a later time really.
    Thief 1 and 2 are portable games and doing the same again can be a bit of a headache due to the original setup process that was developed to work under Windows 95 and 98.
    So, why reinstall something that you don't need to? Not 100% sure, but the last time I reinstalled a Thief game was in 2006.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I install Thief multiple times every year, and never have problems. Tafferpatcher/Tfix makes it easy.

@unca, check here for a fix on the gamma issue. http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142632

You might want to try Ravenhook's suggestion and install Thief somewhere other than c:\Program Files. Other than that, I'm not sure. Did you try actually setting Thief to 1920x1080?

It's in C:\Games

1920 X 1080 isn't in the resolution choices in the game

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    If it's a native resolution it should be available, but you can also add it in cam_ext.cfg by uncommenting the line ";user_mode1 1600 768 32 25 12" by removing the semicolon and changing the "1600 768" to "1920 1080". Still it sounds like Tafferpatcher didn't work right or else all this should be working fine.

Have you got a "sod off graphics card" after I built this thing I had crash after crash after crash while playing COD Black Ops III, my son in law took a look and turned it's acceleration down and something else that I cant remember on the mobo (I'll ask him later if he remembers what it was and let you know) turns out the graphics card was too fast and was "smearing the pixels??? before they could register on the screen???.
    Mobo is Asus Maximus VII Hero Republic of Gamers.
    Sound is Asus Xonar Phoebus Republic of Gamers.
    Graphics is Radeon R9 270X Toxic.
    Other than that it might be an idea to do a reformat or change the HDD..there is something niggling away in the back of my mind that I have seen this before but my 60+ year old excuse for a brain just cant find it.
    If yours is a radeon card there was a driver update that caused no end of problems...in the end I unistalled the graphics card and its drivers and reinstalled it, used it's oem disk drivers and stopped it automatically updating...this was on my earlier XP system after which everything settled down, that too involved crashes and video problems.
    Last edited by Ravenhook; 12th Jul 2016 at 08:34.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I just realized this thread has been going on for six years.

I’ll give a +1 to Ravenhook. I had similar problems a few years ago and it turned out the capacitors on my MSI card had all popped their tops. It was was strange the card still worked for simple 2D, but not for 3D. It happened just as I tried to play a new slick T2 FM and I swore it had to be the FM, since it had fancy graphics. Logic got the better of me and I tried a different game. Same issues.

Maybe try another 3D game and see if you have the same issues, if you haven’t already. Hope you get this sorted

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I just realized this thread has been going on for six years.

Aside from the missing lower cuspid your dentition appears to be in admirable shape!

the last 3% must be massive :P

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    If it's a native resolution it should be available, but you can also add it in cam_ext.cfg by uncommenting the line ";user_mode1 1600 768 32 25 12" by removing the semicolon and changing the "1600 768" to "1920 1080". Still it sounds like Tafferpatcher didn't work right or else all this should be working fine.
    Tried that but it went blackscreen.

Tried the whole TP install again but it didn't help.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Sounds like a lost cause. Maybe you could offer the mission up in the Editor's Guild and see if anyone could finish it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    Tried that but it went blackscreen.

Tried the whole TP install again but it didn't help.
    You might ebay a used system that you could stick XP and a good nvidia card on, should work just fine-I have a backup computer that's a dell 330 with a new hard drive and Geforce 620 and it works fine with Thief. That's the easiest way to get around the horror that is Win 10 (at least until they figure out a way to run Thief on Linux!)

I’ve run T2 on LINUX (Ubuntu) using Wine. Worked just fine, but I had to copy a full installed WIN version (easy) instead of trying to install it directly. I don’t use the LINUX version, since my WIN 10 version works OK. They are both on the same box (dual boot). I’ve also got an older XP box that can play the older FMs, but chokes on the newest SoulTear type missions with lots of graphic goodies.

I wish I was close by to uncadonego. I think I could get things running. I bet it is a graphics card issue and/or drivers that are just slightly now compatible with Win10. I was having the same issues with an older card in my HP Z400 Xeon box, until I installed a newer card that was comparable with at least Win8. The older cruddy card I had was using compatibility drivers and no newer drivers beyond Vista were available for it. It’s now in a nice static bag.

Uncadonego, have you tried this in cam_ext.cfg:

; multisampling (anti-aliasing) level
    ; IMPORTANT: some integrated graphics HW may not work correctly with multisampling and you will be left with a
    ; black screen, if that happens disable this option again
    ;multisampletype 8

I have a tafferpatcher217 install working on a windows 7 home premium comp. I've given up on windows 10.
    I am going to have to re-familiarize with dromed. Posted a question on editor's guild. Gonna try to get the juices flowing again.

Classical Master 2008
    Still looking forward to this!

I guess this will come out before GRRM releases his next book

I'm hoping this can be fixed up and released for the anniversary contest, but I know it's too much to hope for
    Last edited by nickie; 27th Aug 2018 at 04:43. Reason: removing extraneous comment

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast